Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 10/1/2018 8:15:29 AM EDT
https://www.kxan.com/news/local/austin/why-it-s-4x-as-much-to-rent-moving-truck-from-ca-to-tx-than-reverse/1489354272

AUSTIN (KXAN) -- The cost to rent a moving truck from California to Texas is significantly higher than the trip the other way around, several rental truck company estimates show.

KXAN looked into the price difference after Sen. Ted Cruz, R-Texas, pointed to it at his debate with Rep. Beto O'Rourke, D-El Paso, on Friday, Sept. 21.

Cruz was advocating for low taxes and low regulation, comparing Texas to California, when he said the Golden State is "hemorrhaging population."

"The cost of a one-way U-Haul from California to Texas," he said, "is more than 300 percent the cost the other way around."

Using the moving company's online estimate tool, KXAN compared the cost of renting a truck from San Francisco to Austin, given the strong tech sectors in both cities. The cost to get a 26-foot truck (enough to move a house full of stuff) to San Francisco from here is $1,150; the reverse trip costs close to four times as much, at $4,380. The cost from Los Angeles to Austin is almost five times as much.
Link Posted: 10/1/2018 8:17:15 AM EDT
[#1]
Good maybe the commie fucks, won't be able to move and fuck up the rest of the country.
Link Posted: 10/1/2018 8:18:18 AM EDT
[#2]
How is this a bad thing? They're lucky texas doesn't impose an immigration tax of some sort.
Link Posted: 10/1/2018 8:24:28 AM EDT
[#3]
Texas going blue.

Link Posted: 10/1/2018 8:27:48 AM EDT
[#4]
Wait a few years.

Having to go back would be The Long Walk to the Cursed Earth of communist California.
Link Posted: 10/1/2018 8:31:24 AM EDT
[#5]
Cost for a California  business to stay  in business?
Link Posted: 10/1/2018 8:32:28 AM EDT
[#6]
It's supply and demand...………

Same thing...……..it cost more to take a truck to Florida from the north as it does to take one from Florida to the north.

They get too many trucks going to an area but mot enough leaving.
Link Posted: 10/1/2018 8:33:10 AM EDT
[#7]
Always been like that.
Cost money to re-populate the ship the rats are fleeing.
Link Posted: 10/1/2018 8:34:03 AM EDT
[#8]
Surely this isn't surprising to anyone...
Link Posted: 10/1/2018 8:34:58 AM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote
Depends...
Link Posted: 10/1/2018 8:38:13 AM EDT
[#10]
Supply and demand, unfortunately for Texas.

Ex-Californians will start implementing every policy that caused then to leave their state just as soon as they arrive.

Was nice knowing you Texas.
Link Posted: 10/1/2018 8:39:00 AM EDT
[#11]
Live divorce, it is worth it
Link Posted: 10/1/2018 8:39:55 AM EDT
[#12]
That’s why I used a Penske....

LeeeeeyRoyyyyyyyyy!!!!!!
Link Posted: 10/1/2018 8:40:02 AM EDT
[#13]
Hawaii judge rejects this reality.
Link Posted: 10/1/2018 8:41:40 AM EDT
[#14]

The concept of Supply and Demand once again highlights the way things be.
Link Posted: 10/1/2018 8:43:06 AM EDT
[#15]
Oh yes indeed they bring liberal votes with them to Texas.  They should be stopped at the border.  Amazingly they cannot understand their voting patterns bring the same ills they are escaping from in commifornica to Texas.

You voted for those thieves you should be stuck with the consequences.
Link Posted: 10/1/2018 8:48:05 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

LeeeeeyRoyyyyyyyyy!!!!!!
View Quote
All the truck rental companies charge more to go from California to Texas or even Arizona. Sometimes you can get a one way back to California for free when too many trucks get down here.
Link Posted: 10/1/2018 8:50:08 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote
More ARFcom Herp & Derp, U-Haul is headquartered in Phoenix.
Link Posted: 10/1/2018 8:55:48 AM EDT
[#18]
Needs to be 10x
Link Posted: 10/1/2018 8:55:52 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Depends...
View Quote
Taxes?  Or "Tribute" to Dems in the form of donations and overt support to their campaigns and orgs?
Link Posted: 10/1/2018 9:05:49 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote
So Uhaul dealers incur the same costs regardless of which state they're located?
Link Posted: 10/1/2018 9:10:24 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote
You're not Penske material.
Link Posted: 10/1/2018 9:11:04 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
So Uhaul dealers incur the same costs regardless of which state they're located?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Where they are headquartered or state/local fees aren’t what is driving the multiples of price difference.  It’s the having to “deadhead” an unrented truck or trailer back into CA at the companies cost versus a paid rental bringing one back in.
Link Posted: 10/1/2018 9:11:36 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Close U-Haul never registers a truck or trailer in California. Most places are franchises so some costs are higher, but mostly on the franchisee. Then again they get more for their rentals. The cost is getting the trucks and trailers back to original locations.
Link Posted: 10/1/2018 9:11:44 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Depends...
View Quote
Oh, you.
Link Posted: 10/1/2018 9:17:18 AM EDT
[#25]
You can always depend on medicfrost to report the weird and useless news that doesn't really affect anyone.

_
Link Posted: 10/1/2018 9:32:43 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Link Posted: 10/1/2018 9:44:59 AM EDT
[#27]

From another article earlier this year, I would be incredibly worried if I were in another state. The housing pressure is not letting up due to the continual influx of people, I don't see this emigration slowing down any time soon. Anywhere with an even remotely "vibrant" city is at risk.

http://www.aei.org/publication/san-francisco-bay-area-experiences-mass-exodus-of-residents-reflected-in-one-way-u-haul-truck-rental-rates
Link Posted: 10/1/2018 9:55:00 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
http://www.aei.org/wp-content/uploads/2018/02/UHaul2018a.png

From another article earlier this year, I would be incredibly worried if I were in another state. The housing pressure is not letting up due to the continual influx of people, I don't see this emigration slowing down any time soon. Anywhere with an even remotely "vibrant" city is at risk.
View Quote
One of the best parts is how many of those red states at risk invited the businesses/people from liberal areas to move there.
Link Posted: 10/1/2018 10:06:43 AM EDT
[#29]
We’re full. Stay the fuck out. Maybe some of the CA tard imports will get the hint and move back to lala land where reality isn’t...
Link Posted: 10/1/2018 10:08:18 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

One of the best parts is how many of those states at risk invited the businesses/people from liberal areas to move there.
View Quote
Sanctuary state gonna sanctuary.  Fuck the taxpayers - it's the "right" thing to do plus it gets dems votes.
Link Posted: 10/1/2018 10:12:13 AM EDT
[#31]
Wonder why all their trucks are fleeing California?
Link Posted: 10/1/2018 10:12:46 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Sanctuary state gonna sanctuary.  Fuck the taxpayers - it's the "right" thing to do plus it gets dems votes.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
One of the best parts is how many of those states at risk invited the businesses/people from liberal areas to move there.
I always laugh at the R politicians here in GA when I see them saying how great it is that these movie/tv/tech jobs are coming here.
Link Posted: 10/1/2018 10:17:50 AM EDT
[#33]
It has been that way for a long time. 
Link Posted: 10/1/2018 10:18:59 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

LeeeeeyRoyyyyyyyyy!!!!!!
View Quote

CA to AZ, two Penske trucks.  $850.  15 years ago.  (I had connections.)
Link Posted: 10/1/2018 10:23:39 AM EDT
[#35]
My boss flies to New Jersey pretty often.   The ticket there is 1/2 what the ticket back costs for the same flight that just goes back and forth all day anyway.   Cost more to fly out of a liberal airport I guess.
Link Posted: 10/1/2018 10:28:05 AM EDT
[#36]
When I left California I did Upack where I got a whole trailer to fill and it was twice what it would have cost to move to California. The kicker was, even back then there were so many people moving to Idaho that my trailer sat in a terminal in Salt Lake City for over a week before there was room at the dock here in Boise for the trailer to get delivered to. I can't imagine how bad it is now.
Link Posted: 10/1/2018 10:41:49 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
When I left California I did Upack where I got a whole trailer to fill and it was twice what it would have cost to move to California.
View Quote
I called them several months in advance of my move out of NY and they were booked solid. I had to use 1-800-PACK-RAT instead.
Link Posted: 10/1/2018 11:30:50 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

All the truck rental companies charge more to go from California to Texas or even Arizona. Sometimes you can get a one way back to California for free when too many trucks get down here.
View Quote
I don't suppose they'll let you load it up with homeless people and take them to San Francisco?
Link Posted: 10/1/2018 11:34:47 AM EDT
[#39]
Its to cover the costs of having to dead-head the trucks back to California so they can be used again.

If you have 9 trucks going to Texas for every 1 coming back, you're gonna run out of trucks REAL quick.
Link Posted: 10/1/2018 11:39:13 AM EDT
[#40]
Not good for TX. They're fucking everywhere. I want to move to AZ so I can help put actual Republicans in the damn senate, since they've shown they will not..
Link Posted: 10/1/2018 11:41:14 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Not good for TX. They're fucking everywhere. I want to move to AZ so I can help put actual Republicans in the damn senate, since they've shown they will not..
View Quote
You want to get away from relocating Californians and you want to go to AZ?
Link Posted: 10/1/2018 11:42:17 AM EDT
[#42]
The cost can be excessive due to an imbalance of trucks.
The cost, however is calculated by city or state.
By selecting a nearby city in a different state to pick up or drop off the truck after you have unloaded it at you destination, you can sometimes lower the cost.
Doesn't really help for Austin though, being in the middle of the state.
Link Posted: 10/1/2018 11:44:04 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Tata, Teutul!
Link Posted: 10/1/2018 11:44:06 AM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 10/1/2018 11:44:38 AM EDT
[#45]
Yeah I bet the lots in Texas are filled with rental trucks from California dropped off there..and its not easy to get them to go back...
Link Posted: 10/1/2018 11:46:21 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View Quote
Eh I lived in AZ for awhile and thought it was pretty ghetto. It will be better then TX for sure but not by much.
Link Posted: 10/1/2018 11:48:02 AM EDT
[#47]
Probably because the rental outfits have to hire somebody to drive their trucks back to California because nobody is renting them to head to that state.
Link Posted: 10/1/2018 12:02:38 PM EDT
[#48]
CRACKER Sunrise in the Land of Milk and Honey
Link Posted: 10/1/2018 12:15:12 PM EDT
[#49]
You could buy a used box truck for that much around here. Probably sell it after your done for half the purchase price and call it a day
Link Posted: 10/1/2018 12:29:32 PM EDT
[#50]
I’ve seen signs for U Haul trucks 10 bucks from Columbus Ohio to Cleveland Ohio. It was just a way to get trucks from a destination people move to to a destination people move from.

Smart on U Haul.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top