Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 11/20/2023 7:53:15 PM EDT
The same dang part too

It's some little lever that operates the firing pin safety

This time it had the decency to fall internally and lock up the action. I still can't get the cylinder or trigger to move.

Had just got done carrying it the other day. Got home. Unloaded it. Gave the light switch a aim and click click and then the action never moved again

Last time it took me the better part of a year to get this part and the spring that drives it

I hate this gun

Update no 2

Popped open a 586 I was thinking about trading and the firing pin/stud is broken off the frame. Id imagine these are press fit in by the looks of it. So itll have to be milled out and a new pin inserted. Gun would here and there fail to fire but was mostly still functional. The trigger still feels pretty good despite the pin. You can feel some weird resistance when moving the hammer and comparing it to other Smiths however. I think the pin is turning with the hammer rather than remaining stationary

VP
Link Posted: 11/20/2023 7:56:53 PM EDT
[#1]
442 no lock master race

And shit dude again?!?! I remember the original thread lol
Link Posted: 11/20/2023 8:05:31 PM EDT
[#2]
Hard to tell from the pic, but the way it sheered off at an angle like that makes me think it was a metallurgical failure or something.

I'd almost be more tempted to recreate a new one if it's just a flat sheet metal part, rather than dealing with a potentially faulty OEM part....

Anyone make aftermarket S&W trigger parts?
Link Posted: 11/20/2023 8:08:09 PM EDT
[#3]
Fuck all that
Link Posted: 11/20/2023 8:10:57 PM EDT
[#4]
gonna need to invest in your own titanium 3d printer and make your parts
Link Posted: 11/20/2023 8:14:26 PM EDT
[#5]
Stop shooting light switches.

Sounds like shit ain't meshing in there... another part out of spec. Can you send it back to S&W for a looking at?
Link Posted: 11/20/2023 8:17:12 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Hard to tell from the pic, but the way it sheered off at an angle like that makes me think it was a metallurgical failure or something.

I'd almost be more tempted to recreate a new one if it's just a flat sheet metal part, rather than dealing with a potentially faulty OEM part....

View Quote

As soon as it's fixed I'm punting it like I should have last time.
Link Posted: 11/20/2023 8:31:37 PM EDT
[#7]
That’s why you should just carry it, and not shoot it.
Link Posted: 11/20/2023 8:41:00 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
The same dang part too

It's some little lever that operates the firing pin safety

This time it had the decency to fall internally and lock up the action. I still can't get the cylinder or trigger to move.

Had just got done carrying it the other day. Got home. Unloaded it. Gave the light switch a aim and click click and then the action never moved again

Last time it took me the better part of a year to get this part and the spring that drives it

I hate this gun

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/161977/20231120_174422-3034390.jpg
View Quote
where is the trigger guard and the grip ?
Link Posted: 11/20/2023 8:42:47 PM EDT
[#9]
Hmmmm, I just went out and popped away with my old Colt Agent today..............nothing broke.

Yeah, if I had a newer firearm that broke consistently and took a year to get parts, I'd fix it and dump it also. Brand has nothing to do with it.

MIM part?

Link Posted: 11/20/2023 8:43:49 PM EDT
[#10]
I carried a 442 for a couple of months that would not have fired one round due to a bent base pin or whatever they call it.

Link Posted: 11/20/2023 8:50:52 PM EDT
[#11]
But I'm assured mim parts are the best because aeroplanes use them. That sucks OP.
Link Posted: 11/20/2023 8:52:14 PM EDT
[#12]
That’s why I carry a Glock
Link Posted: 11/20/2023 9:04:59 PM EDT
[#13]
Is this one of those goofy S&W revolvers with the cylinder latch on the back of the frame?

Either way, sucks. Sorry, OP.
Link Posted: 11/20/2023 9:05:49 PM EDT
[#14]
Why not send it to Smith & Wesson?

Honest question, their guns have a lifetime warranty, is this not included in that?
Link Posted: 11/20/2023 9:08:06 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Why not send it to Smith & Wesson?

Honest question, their guns have a lifetime warranty, is this not included in that?
View Quote

This, also find a pre-version and go to town.
Link Posted: 11/20/2023 9:19:18 PM EDT
[#16]
What model S&W is that?
Link Posted: 11/20/2023 9:23:13 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
What model S&W is that?
View Quote
Looks like the new bodyguard revolver.
Link Posted: 11/20/2023 9:23:38 PM EDT
[#18]
That sucks.
Link Posted: 11/20/2023 10:12:47 PM EDT
[#19]
I thought you could remove the Hillary shit and just leave the hole
Link Posted: 11/20/2023 10:14:32 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
But I'm assured mim parts are the best because aeroplanes use them. That sucks OP.
View Quote

Because nothing ever failed until MIM came along.
Link Posted: 11/20/2023 10:15:25 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I thought you could remove the Hillary shit and just leave the hole
View Quote
No safety lock on these turds.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 11/20/2023 10:17:12 PM EDT
[#22]
If its just a flat part, see if someone can get you a dwf file for the part and have sendcutsend cut you a bunch of them out of stainless or titanium.
Link Posted: 11/20/2023 10:18:17 PM EDT
[#23]
I have many thousands of rounds through S&W revolvers and semis.  I’ve had a few problems and S&W went way above and beyond great service.  Call them.

ETA: none of my s&w guns are less than 10 years old but they recently replaced the blast shield on my 329pd free of charge.
Link Posted: 11/20/2023 10:20:41 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote

You would be wrong.

Smith no longer does lifetime on J-frames & hasn't for several years now.  
Link Posted: 11/20/2023 10:24:29 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote
Nothing!

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 11/20/2023 10:32:26 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote
I think mim is fine IF it is selected because it is the best performing construction method for a given geometry. If it is a "hey we don't have to hand fit parts anymore so we can downsize our workforce numbers and expertise so our shareholders make the most money possible", then yea I'm not on board with mim in firearms given the choice.
Link Posted: 11/20/2023 10:33:16 PM EDT
[#27]
In before MIM just as guud?
ETA: nope lol
Link Posted: 11/20/2023 10:36:33 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I carried a 442 for a couple of months that would not have fired one round due to a bent base pin or whatever they call it.

View Quote
You were carrying it without test firing it?
Link Posted: 11/20/2023 10:39:10 PM EDT
[#29]
The 2 least reliable pistols I've ever owned were both revolvers.
Link Posted: 11/20/2023 10:41:14 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

You would be wrong.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You would be wrong.

Nothing says confidence in your product like discontinuing the warranty.
Link Posted: 11/21/2023 8:56:02 AM EDT
[#31]
But I've been assured by all the pocket pistol carriers that revolvers are way more reliable the auto's.
Link Posted: 11/21/2023 9:14:33 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I think mim is fine IF it is selected because it is the best performing construction method for a given geometry. If it is a "hey we don't have to hand fit parts anymore so we can downsize our workforce numbers and expertise so our shareholders make the most money possible", then yea I'm not on board with mim in firearms given the choice.
View Quote

Google “heat treat” and “QA”

Is that part MIM?
I wouldn’t think so, as it looks pretty flat

MIM makes geometrically complex small parts ( think 1911 ambi thumb safety ) cheaper.

Link Posted: 11/21/2023 9:20:36 AM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 11/21/2023 9:38:09 AM EDT
[#34]
I feel your pain. I broke 3 transfer bars on a Ruger Bisley Blackhawk in .41 Mag back in the 80's.  I also broke 3 Recoil Masters on my STI Edge back when they first came out.

Not that many people shoot or dry fire, so gun makers seem to get by with selling crap for a bit until they get it figured out.
Link Posted: 11/21/2023 10:14:35 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

You would be wrong.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You would be wrong.

Didn’t know I could be wrong when asking a question…
Link Posted: 11/21/2023 10:35:38 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

You would be wrong.

View Quote

Just read through the warranty on S&W's site. Doesn't say anything about J-Frames. Applies to all handguns and M&P-15 rifles. Seems like the same warranty for everything.

Where'd you hear that story?
Link Posted: 11/21/2023 10:37:37 AM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 11/21/2023 10:43:55 AM EDT
[#38]
I think it might be time to just grab a 442/642 and just punt this thing for whatever I can get when its fixed
Link Posted: 11/21/2023 11:13:10 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I think it might be time to just grab a 442/642 and just punt this thing for whatever I can get when its fixed
View Quote

I'd say so. Frankly I see zero benefit to this whole half-plastic frame thing over an aluminum or scandium J-frame.
Link Posted: 11/21/2023 11:18:43 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

I'd say so. Frankly I see zero reason to own this over an aluminum or scandium J-frame.
View Quote

Everyone tried to tell me

But no I just had to get the bodyguard for whatever reason I had stuck in my head at the time

Truth be told its pretty accurate and the trigger is pretty good especially for a J frame

But I honestly have zero trust in it now. Its like you can get that part bound and once you do its game over

Link Posted: 11/21/2023 11:22:11 AM EDT
[#41]
Buy an old 36 or 60 if you like S&W.
The Ruger LCR is one of the best carry pocket rockets I have carried.

Side note none of my 500 mags have broken or engaged the safety flag.
Link Posted: 11/21/2023 11:24:18 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Buy an old 36 or 60 if you like S&W.
The Ruger LCR is one of the best carry pocket rockets I have carried.

Side note none of my 500 mags have broken or engaged the safety flag.
View Quote

Ive got several smiths and the only time Ive had a issue was with a broken spring on their flagship line up.

This bodyguard is designed completely different internally

Honestly if they didnt have this stupid tiny ass firing pin safety thingy this would be a solid gun
Link Posted: 11/21/2023 11:28:23 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View Quote

I’m surprised you haven’t already bought one by now.  

Is it really possible to only own one j-fame variant?

Link Posted: 11/21/2023 11:28:42 AM EDT
[#44]
Regarding the Smith and Wesson lifetime warranty, I had a S&W 638 that had the trigger pin break off after less than 500 rounds of light loads.  When I sent it to Smith and Wesson to have it repaired, they told me that it would be several hundred dollars to fix it.  They told me that they only warranty their aluminum/scandium frame guns for a year.  They did not want to send the gun back since it was broken, but finally did. I took it to a local gunsmith and he replaced the aluminum trigger pin with a steel one.  I then traded off the piece of shit (my dealer knew the story behind it) and vowed to never buy and aluminum framed smith again.  Lifetime warranty doesn't mean shit anymore to Smith and Wesson.
Link Posted: 11/21/2023 11:31:33 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Just read through the warranty on S&W's site. Doesn't say anything about J-Frames. Applies to all handguns and M&P-15 rifles. Seems like the same warranty for everything.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You would be wrong.

You're right, it does seem to apply to everything. But, Bob didn't say the lack of lifetime warranty ONLY applies to J-frames. He just said J-frames don't have a lifetime warranty any longer. None of S&W's guns have a lifetime warranty any longer.

Here's the first couple paragraphs of their warranty:

"This warranty is granted by Smith & Wesson Inc. This warranty is effective from the date of purchase and applies to the original owner of any firearm. With respect to such firearms, this warranty supersedes any and all other warranties.

Smith & Wesson firearms are warranted to be free from defects in material and workmanship. Any such defects of which Smith & Wesson receives written notice within one year from the date of purchase by the original owner, will be remedied by Smith & Wesson without charge within a reasonable time after such notification and delivery of the firearm as provided below." (emphasis added)
Link Posted: 11/21/2023 11:31:48 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View Quote

I just dont use it THAT much

I will occasionally throw this thing in a pocket holster

But I generally opt for bigger belt holster guns

Once it was fixed the first time I didnt really want to take the 2-300 loss trading it

But that was then. Im ready for the rape now
Link Posted: 11/21/2023 11:40:55 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Once it was fixed the first time I didnt really want to take the 2-300 loss trading it

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The LCRs are a solid option.  More variety with caliber choices, too.

Link Posted: 11/21/2023 12:15:44 PM EDT
[#48]
Fucking MIM parts.  S&W fucked up on all that.
Link Posted: 11/21/2023 12:23:12 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View Quote

MIM?  I'd use tool steel and harden it.

What S&W revolver?
Link Posted: 11/22/2023 9:09:37 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

You're right, it does seem to apply to everything. But, Bob didn't say the lack of lifetime warranty ONLY applies to J-frames. He just said J-frames don't have a lifetime warranty any longer. None of S&W's guns have a lifetime warranty any longer.

Here's the first couple paragraphs of their warranty:

"This warranty is granted by Smith & Wesson Inc. This warranty is effective from the date of purchase and applies to the original owner of any firearm. With respect to such firearms, this warranty supersedes any and all other warranties.

Smith & Wesson firearms are warranted to be free from defects in material and workmanship. Any such defects of which Smith & Wesson receives written notice within one year from the date of purchase by the original owner, will be remedied by Smith & Wesson without charge within a reasonable time after such notification and delivery of the firearm as provided below." (emphasis added)
View Quote

Seems odd.

I had an issue with my Shield Plus last summer, they paid for shipping to and from them, and I had a new barrel and the pistol returned within 3 weeks.

That’s the only time I’ve ever had to use their warranty, but it couldn’t have possibly been a better experience.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top