BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 7/26/2021 10:10:50 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Thank you for your post. I really appreciate it. I don't necessarily agree with the first part, but that is OK.

One of the main things for Catholic Priests is to die to this world. Which is why they wear black. There are instances The Old Testament with celibacy being a requirement. When a High Priest took his turn for sacrifices and offerings in the Temple, he would vow celibacy. It has to do with purity of providing the sacrifice for God. But, yes they were still married.

The Esenes, were a proto-monastic group of Jews that also practiced celibacy.

In the Roman Rite, one must be celibate to perform the Sacrifice of the Mass. It is a ascetic suffering. It can be done & has been done for centuries.

Paul also said this:

“To the unmarried and the widows I say that it is well for them to remain single as I do. . . . I want you to be free from anxieties. The unmarried man is anxious about the affairs of the Lord, how to please the Lord; but the married man is anxious about worldly affairs, how to please his wife, and his interests are divided. And the unmarried woman or girl is anxious about the affairs of the Lord, how to be holy in body and spirit; but the married woman is anxious about worldly affairs, how to please her husband. I say this for your own benefit, not to lay any restraint upon you, but to promote good order and to secure your undivided devotion to the Lord. . . . he who marries his betrothed does well; and he who refrains from marriage will do better” (1 Cor. 7:8, 32-35, 38).

ETA: also, Jeremiah was told by God to be celibate for his life. Moses was celibate after receiving the tablets, I believe.
View Quote

For discussion sake we’ll assume I agree with the RCC in regards the sacrifice of the mass. I don’t see where having a married clergy would interfere with it. As you mentioned the Levitical priests were married and still managed to fulfill their marital duties. Perhaps open it up for deacons to perform or place more ordained priest per parish or not offer it daily. We know from 1 Cor 9:5 the other Apostles had wives as well.

As for the 1 Cor 7. The verses you reference, Paul is speaking by permission and not by commandment. I will agree that going completely celibate is considered a good thing if that’s your gift. But at the same time the verses in my previous post that I quoted from Timothy and Titus are specific to Bishops and also mentions requirements for their wives and children. Now I know some, mainly Baptists that have gone as far as to say you can’t be a pastor unless you are married based off of the those verses. I disagree with that because obviously Paul and Christ speak highly of those that can turn off the need for a husband wife relationship. But I don’t think that translates into a ban on clergy being married because of the passages in Timothy and Titus plus what we know about the other Apostles.

As for Jeremiah. He was told not to take a wife or have kids for specific reason and that reason was.

3 For thus saith the Lord concerning the sons and concerning the daughters that are born in this place, and concerning their mothers that bare them, and concerning their fathers that begat them in this land;

4 They shall die of grievous deaths; they shall not be lamented; neither shall they be buried; but they shall be as dung upon the face of the earth: and they shall be consumed by the sword, and by famine; and their carcases shall be meat for the fowls of heaven, and for the beasts of the earth.

As for Moses. I’m aware there is various rabbinic literature which suggests he went celibate but I don’t see it in the scripture. I’m hesitant to give too much heed to writings from Jewish religious leaders considering they got so much wrong about Christ.

@abnk
1 Tim 5 is dealing with widows specifically and say to let the younger ones marry.  Whereas Timothy 4 is dealing specifically with Bishops and deacons.

@TWIRE
I’ve seen plenty of good married pastors that do a through job at leading the flock. The key is they must have a wife that is 100% on board and understands her role as a wife. It may even be easier having a “help meet” to make sure you can stay focused on the Lord’s work. I’ve seen some good pastor’s wives that make it their mission to make sure their husbands can effectively lead the church.

Again I’m all for someone choosing celibacy but I’m opposed to requiring it. It has nothing to do with this mindset of “if you don’t get married you’ll turn into a gay child molester”. I’m opposed because 1. I don’t find sufficient support from the  scripture to require  it and 2. I think by requiring it you are robbing the body of Christ of being blessed by men that could do a good job and have a major impact on Christianity and you are also robbing those men of a chance to serve the Lord.
Link Posted: 7/26/2021 11:17:51 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

@ abnk
1 Tim 5 is dealing with widows specifically and say to let the younger ones marry.  Whereas Timothy 4 is dealing specifically with Bishops and deacons.

Again I’m all for someone choosing celibacy but I’m opposed to requiring it. It has nothing to do with this mindset of “if you don’t get married you’ll turn into a gay child molester”. I’m opposed because 1. I don’t find sufficient support from the  scripture to require  it and 2. I think by requiring it you are robbing the body of Christ of being blessed by men that could do a good job and have a major impact on Christianity and you are also robbing those men of a chance to serve the Lord.
View Quote

On your fist point, it seems to me that not finding sufficient support (i.e.: lacking of a certain level of affirmative proof) is not the same as completely unscriptural (i.e.: opposed to Scripture).  If I misunderstood your terms, please correct me.  If I have understood correctly, then we're one step closer to agreement.

On your second point, that makes sense from a strictly practical view.  Theologically speaking, however, we view the Sacraments of Holy Orders and Holy Matrimony as a vocational bifurcation, the former being the higher of the two.  Both clergy and lay are part of the body of Christ, each group serving in their own way.  I think we would agree that if it is God's will for a man to be a priest, he will be a priest.  We might even say that perhaps the Holy Ghost, in His infinite wisdom, saw fit to guide the Church to implement the ancient discipline of celibacy to filter out those whom he has not chosen for priesthood or conversely to draw those whom He has chosen; especially, since we see in other places in Scripture that celibacy is a higher calling.

On 1 Timothy 5, well, yes, I know it deals specifically with widows since I referred to that chapter.  But why does St. Paul say to let them marry?  Essentially, because they cannot be trusted to remain celibate and they will betray their vows to Christ.  Conversely, he wants those older widows who have no other commitments to pray night and day, not unlike religious orders, which require vows of celibacy.

On 1 Timothy 4, St. Paul, I don't see how St. Paul is dealing specifically with bishops and deacons.  He warns against heresies--heresies that as I mentioned in my previous post existed to an extent and persisted for centuries.  I looked up some protestant sources for their view, most notably the Coffman commentary, and they seem to agree with the Catholic view that it is a warning against heresies.  Where are you getting that it pertains specifically to bishops and deacons?
Link Posted: 7/27/2021 8:20:08 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

I like your thoughts here.  To expand upon them, chastity is still necssary within marriage.  The requirement that all sexual relations be open to the transmission of life and for the consent of both parties to the act, taught by all major Christian denominations until 1931, requires the type of control you mention above.
View Quote

Yes, and now we have many children that the parish has to support along with the wife of the priest. Soccer practice, scouts, 4-H, illnesses, life skills etc all taking time from the Priest's duties to his parish which can include staying up all night with a dying member. Some of those children will openly rebel to prove that they are no goody two shoes. The stereotype of the preacher's daughter causing scandal didn't materialize out of thin air.
Link Posted: 7/27/2021 10:28:39 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Yes, and now we have many children that the parish has to support along with the wife of the priest. Soccer practice, scouts, 4-H, illnesses, life skills etc all taking time from the Priest's duties to his parish which can include staying up all night with a dying member. Some of those children will openly rebel to prove that they are no goody two shoes. The stereotype of the preacher's daughter causing scandal didn't materialize out of thin air.
View Quote

Purely anecdote, but my roommate on my first deployment was the ship's chaplain, a young Southern Baptist, a husband and father.  

He told me that he didn't think that he could be a celibate, but that he appreciated that he could go to the local Navy Catholic chaplain at any time, day or night, if he had a problem because he didn't have to worry if he was interrupting family time.
Link Posted: 7/27/2021 12:54:25 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

On your fist point, it seems to me that not finding sufficient support (i.e.: lacking of a certain level of affirmative proof) is not the same as completely unscriptural (i.e.: opposed to Scripture).  If I misunderstood your terms, please correct me.  If I have understood correctly, then we're one step closer to agreement.

I find clerical celibacy scriptural. I don't think anyone can deny that. I do find a requirement for celibacy which is basically a unilateral ban on marriage for clergy to be unscriptural in the sense of lacking sufficient proof via scripture that such a requirement should be enacted. Ties into point 2.

On your second point, that makes sense from a strictly practical view.  Theologically speaking, however, we view the Sacraments of Holy Orders and Holy Matrimony as a vocational bifurcation, the former being the higher of the two.  Both clergy and lay are part of the body of Christ, each group serving in their own way.  I think we would agree that if it is God's will for a man to be a priest, he will be a priest.  We might even say that perhaps the Holy Ghost, in His infinite wisdom, saw fit to guide the Church to implement the ancient discipline of celibacy to filter out those whom he has not chosen for priesthood or conversely to draw those whom He has chosen; especially, since we see in other places in Scripture that celibacy is a higher calling.

This is where views on the scripture will play a roll. The scripture in a sense is like the US constitution. When implementing rules we should see how those rules agree with the scripture. Does a practice line up with scripture? Indeed celibacy and even becoming a eunuch are a higher calling but it's not a gift every man has. I can't find a scriptural basis to deny clergy status to a married man. I actually think those that argue that to be ordained you must be married based on the text of 1Timothy 3 and Titus 1 have a much stronger argument than those that think clergy should be celibate. They usually go to verse 1Tim 3 4-5

4 One that ruleth well his own house, having his children in subjection with all gravity;

5 (For if a man know not how to rule his own house, how shall he take care of the church of God?)

and

11 Even so must their wives be grave, not slanderers, sober, faithful in all things.

The argument is that a man that is single and childless or a virgin male won't have the ability to or can't be proven to have the ability to take care of the church because they don't have children and a house to rule well. I see the point but I don't agree because we have obvious examples of celibate men acting in a pastoral role. I see the advantages to both married and celibate clergy. I don't think the advantage of one negates the other.

I think we can agree that the writings of the Apostles are Holy Spirit inspired/breathed and have been persevered. I don't see the Lord leaving clear instructions that allow for married men to take on roles as bishops only to change it down the road. I find the celibacy requirement to be rooted more in the logic of men than the scripture itself.

On 1 Timothy 5, well, yes, I know it deals specifically with widows since I referred to that chapter.  But why does St. Paul say to let them marry?  Essentially, because they cannot be trusted to remain celibate and they will betray their vows to Christ.  Conversely, he wants those older widows who have no other commitments to pray night and day, not unlike religious orders, which require vows of celibacy.

Apples and oranges comparison to me. These were women that were  going be supported solely by the church because they were old and didn’t have any relatives that could ensure they’re needs were being met.

On 1 Timothy 4, St. Paul, I don't see how St. Paul is dealing specifically with bishops and deacons.  He warns against heresies--heresies that as I mentioned in my previous post existed to an extent and persisted for centuries.  I looked up some protestant sources for their view, most notably the Coffman commentary, and they seem to agree with the Catholic view that it is a warning against heresies.  Where are you getting that it pertains specifically to bishops and deacons?

Good catch. I was brain farting over here. Should have been 1 Timothy 3.

I’m not trying to make you switch sides. I’m just trying to show that some of us that oppose a celibacy requirement for ordained priests/pastors have valid reasonable objections that are based in scripture and can be shown by scripture to be reasonably valid. Rather than the same old objection you here every time a story comes out about a gay priest.
View Quote

See quote. @abnk
Link Posted: 7/27/2021 12:58:23 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote

Having grown up around pastor’s kids. It’s a combo of a few things. They aren’t paying attention to what their kids are doing because they don’t think they can get in trouble. The kids see a holier than thou and hypocritical attitude at home. A lot of churches are teaching a bloodless gospel which is a false gospel and it’s doubtful many of them are actually saved to begin with.
Link Posted: 7/27/2021 2:29:08 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I find clerical celibacy scriptural. I don't think anyone can deny that. I do find a requirement for celibacy which is basically a unilateral ban on marriage for clergy to be unscriptural in the sense of lacking sufficient proof via scripture that such a requirement should be enacted. Ties into point 2.
View Quote

That's fair.
Link Posted: 7/27/2021 3:02:58 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

That's fair.
View Quote

Yup.  It's a discipline supported by scripture, but not an absolute requirement of scripture.
Link Posted: 7/31/2021 9:01:55 PM EDT
[#9]
Nothing heard from his bishop. Msgr still has faculties...
Link Posted: 7/31/2021 9:08:18 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Nothing heard from his bishop. Msgr still has faculties...
View Quote

He just wanted to meet people where they're at.  Nothing divisive about that.
Link Posted: 8/1/2021 7:52:46 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

He just wanted to meet people where they're at.  Nothing divisive about that.
View Quote

I get the idea that the hierarchy doesn't want to talk about this. After their poor responses to many previous problems, this might make it look like they are targeting one particular sin. They are hoping that this just fades away.

That is maybe a good PR strategy IF there are no more cases like Msgr B's out there.  What are the chances that there are.  Pillar talked about this in their recent podcast?  This story grew out of an examination of "big data" that showed significant overlap between a phone that was present at a number of Church functions via the G'r app.  How many more might there be?  

This pattern of response cost faith in the Church's hierarchy during the sex abuse scandal. I pray it doesn't do the same here.
Link Posted: 8/2/2021 7:53:26 PM EDT
[#12]
For those who think celibacy is the problem, I have a question:

How long do you have to go without sex before you start molesting kids?

No need to be precise. A general timeframe will suffice.
Link Posted: 8/3/2021 4:07:43 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
For those who think celibacy is the problem, I have a question:

How long do you have to go without sex before you start molesting kids?

No need to be precise. A general timeframe will suffice.
View Quote

Well said. If this was a straight man with raging hormones issue there are plenty of willing Tinder sluts or even discreet call girls available for a night of mortal sin and vow breaking.

Our ex priest confessed to grooming and molesting troubled 12 yr old boys while he was still in seminary school and continued for decades of priesthood until he was caught. Predators infiltrate fertile hunting grounds under false pretenses and use their title to take advantage of the natural respect, trust, and vulnerability of those within.
Link Posted: 8/4/2021 1:55:50 PM EDT
[#14]
This is true, but then doesn't a priest shortage make it easier for infiltrators?  e.g., lower standards and such?

There is at least 1 traditional permanent deacon I know personally who I would love to have as a priest.  He was married before becoming a deacon.  Then again, there is less of a shortage of trad seminarians.
Link Posted: 8/4/2021 4:25:00 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
This is true, but then doesn't a priest shortage make it easier for infiltrators?  e.g., lower standards and such?
View Quote

Or do lower standards and expectations cause men to not value the priesthood or to believe that the Church does not value their sacrifice.

De-emphasizing the importance of the role of the priest by clobbering the altar with lay lectors, lay EMHCs, etc makes the priest's role less important.

The USMC never has television ads about going to college or learning how to fix computers.  Their ads are about killing dragons, shooting guns, and storming beaches.  They rarely lack for recruits because, instead of playing down to their audience, the USMC challenges people to determine if they are good enough.

The Church should learn from that; it should emphasize the masculine role of the priesthood.  It should host vocation days and MOST IMPORTANTLY, congregations should pray for vocations.

Link Posted: 8/4/2021 4:41:08 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

There is at least 1 traditional permanent deacon I know personally who I would love to have as a priest.  He was married before becoming a deacon.  Then again, there is less of a shortage of trad seminarians.
View Quote

Yes. A more secularized society (and Church) saw vocations fall out of favor starting in the 60s creating an open door policy with little oversight. Once rogue priests worked their way up into the hierarchy they gave the green light for their progressive queer buddies to enter and cover for each others indiscretions while anyone sincere about their faith was either rejected, dropped out of seminary school, or just ignored their calling after contemplating the reality of the situation in the Church ...creating even more of a priest shortage.

I honestly wouldn't have anything against married priests but ideally they would be older and done raising their families... then again does family drama really ever end?
Link Posted: 8/4/2021 7:00:25 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote

It's interseting. The Episcopal church has declining vocations as well and they have men, women, married, single, homosexual, straight ordained. I wonder if other liturgical denominations have similar problems,

I think, in addition to devout families (especially fathers) another vocational driver is being a sibling in a large family. I would bet that those to factors account for why traditional and conservative parishes produce most vocations.
Link Posted: 8/4/2021 8:48:01 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

It's interseting. The Episcopal church has declining vocations as well and they have men, women, married, single, homosexual, straight ordained. I wonder if other liturgical denominations have similar problems,

I think, in addition to devout families (especially fathers) another vocational driver is being a sibling in a large family. I would bet that those to factors account for why traditional and conservative parishes produce most vocations.
View Quote

The reduction in family size since the pill and women's lib is a big factor. If you have one son and he is your only chance at grandchildren and continuing your lineage it is not likely you would encourage him to become a priest vs having 4 sons where the remaining 3 could carry out that purpose. How many good future priests and nuns were aborted and contracepted away by selfish parents robbing the world of countless Sacraments and evangelization? Jesus knows.
Link Posted: 8/16/2021 6:19:55 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

The reduction in family size since the pill and women's lib is a big factor. If you have one son and he is your only chance at grandchildren and continuing your lineage it is not likely you would encourage him to become a priest vs having 4 sons where the remaining 3 could carry out that purpose. How many good future priests and nuns were aborted and contracepted away by selfish parents robbing the world of countless Sacraments and evangelization? Jesus knows.
View Quote

Beyond that I think that there is something about being a sibling in a large family that engenders the type of selflessness and caring for others that being a priest or religious requires.  Big families tend to create big virtues.
Link Posted: 8/16/2021 10:48:49 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Beyond that I think that there is something about being a sibling in a large family that engenders the type of selflessness and caring for others that being a priest or religious requires.  Big families tend to create big virtues.
View Quote

Chicken vs egg.  Virtuous families also tend to be big.
Link Posted: 8/17/2021 4:17:10 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Chicken vs egg.  Virtuous families also tend to be big.
View Quote

You mean sincere beliefs inspire actions that strengthen beliefs in a synergistic cycle?
Link Posted: 8/17/2021 9:09:27 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

You mean sincere beliefs inspire actions that strengthen beliefs in a synergistic cycle?
View Quote

exactly.  I'm just less poetic.
Link Posted: 8/17/2021 4:58:33 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote

Good point. Also the older daughters who helped care for the younger siblings got a good taste of motherhood and if they did it cheerfully potential suitors noticed and put a ring on their finger real quick.
Link Posted: 8/17/2021 7:33:21 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

exactly.  I'm just less poetic.
View Quote

You could even say Lex Orandi, Lex Credendi, Lex Vivendi
Link Posted: 8/20/2021 6:37:04 PM EDT
[#25]
32 phones in Vatican City using Grindr

The first report, published late last month, led to the resignation of Msgr. Jeffrey Burrill, the former general secretary of the U.S. bishops’ conference. The second, posted online days later, made claims about the use of Grindr by unnamed people in unspecified rectories in the Archdiocese of Newark. The third, published days after that, claimed that in 2018 at least 32 mobile devices emitted dating app data signals from within areas of Vatican City that are off-limits to tourists.
View Quote

https://www.breitbart.com/national-security/2021/07/28/report-extensive-gay-hookup-app-usage-compromises-vatican-security/

Vatican watchers have been at a loss to explain why the Vatican and Pope Francis himself have been so recalcitrant in not calling out the egregious human rights abuses perpetrated by the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) and why the Holy See entered into an unfavorable agreement with the CCP in 2018 ceding some decision-making power in the naming of Catholic bishops to Beijing.

“As more and more nations have expressed their concern about the growing evidence of concentration camps and even genocide in the Chinese province of Xinjiang, there has been silence from the one entity that has the whole of suffering humanity at the core of its mission. I refer to the Holy See,” wrote a mystified Dominic Lawson in the Sunday Times in 2020.

The Grindr app was “acquired by the Chinese gaming firm Beijing Kunlun Tech in 2016 for $93 million,” the Pillar report states, and was only sold to a U.S.-based company in 2020, under pressure from the U.S. government that had flagged Grindr’s Chinese ownership “a national security risk.”

The report suggests a high degree of probability that Grindr data from its 27 million users would have been shared with the Chinese government during the four years under Chinese ownership, information that could include “user details, private messages exchanged between users, and evidence of sexual liaisons arranged between users.”

As Breitbart News reported in July 2020, cyber hackers tied to the Chinese government were able to successfully infiltrate the Vatican’s computer networks in the months leading up to a renegotiation of the 2018 accord on the appointment of bishops in China.

The U.S.-based cybersecurity firm Recorded Future found that hackers had targeted the Vatican and the Holy See’s Study Mission to China, a group of Hong Kong-based Vatican diplomats who have been negotiating the Church’s status in China.

In June 2019, the Holy See also changed its longstanding policy of forbidding Catholic priests from joining the state-run Chinese Catholic Patriotic Association (CCPA), which was set up under the rule of Chairman Mao Zedong as a parallel church to the church in Rome.
View Quote
Link Posted: 8/20/2021 9:41:56 PM EDT
[#26]
I just watched a video on "Meaning of Catholic" Patreon only. He said the Pope Paul VI actually had to make a public statement that he wasn't gay. I did not know this.

His theory was, because Pope Paul VI allowed the sacrilegious changes after Vat.II because he sought "unity" instead of defending the Truth. It effemitized him & the Papacy. He stopped being a father. Setting off the effeminacy of the Catholic Church. He said Pope Paul VI was so terrified of schism, that he forgoed honoring and fighting for Truth.

He made the analogy of a Father not disciplining his 16yo son who is beating is 2yo son, because it would be hard and cause disunity in the family. Which is uncharitable. It allows for the bully to not see the error of there ways and be allowed to learn. Be able to repent, repair, & return to good graces and virtues....... hence the debacle which has transpired in the last 60 yrs.

Like Adam in the Garden of Eden. When a man does not uphold their position in life as God placed them, priest/ prophet/king... the rest falls into chaos.

ETA: messed up Popes name. Fixed it.
Link Posted: 8/20/2021 10:20:07 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I just watched a video on "Meaning of Catholic" Patreon only. He said the Pope Paul VI actually had to make a public statement that he wasn't gay. I did not know this.

His theory was, because Pope Paul VI allowed the sacrilegious changes after Vat.II because he sought "unity" instead of defending the Truth. It effemitized him & the Papacy. He stopped being a father. Setting off the effeminacy of the Catholic Church. He said Pope Paul VI was so terrified of schism, that he forgoed honoring and fighting for Truth.

He made the analogy of a Father not disciplining his 16yo son who is beating is 2yo son, because it would be hard and cause disunity in the family. Which is uncharitable. It allows for the bully to not see the error of there ways and be allowed to learn. Be able to repent, repair, & return to good graces and virtues....... hence the debacle which has transpired in the last 60 yrs.

Like Adam in the Garden of Eden. When a man does not uphold their position in life as God placed them, priest/ prophet/king... the rest falls into chaos.

View Quote

"I ain't gay or nothing; I've just been in this truck a long damn time."

Seriously though, what was his source for that?
Link Posted: 8/21/2021 12:28:31 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Let me go and re-watch it. I will try to get a reference. He said it was in front of some conference. I will update.

ETA:
Mr. Flanders doesn't say. I messaged him to see. But I found the items below in a quick search.

Wikipedia: Pope Paul VI

I also screen shot this article from 1974.

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/21/2021 8:49:32 AM EDT
[#29]
Wild.  Thank you for the sources.
Link Posted: 8/21/2021 9:38:03 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote

Pope Paul VI's ties to Saul Alinsky are more troubling to me than his sexual orientation as are those of Maritain, one of Paul VI's trusted advisors.

Add onto that Alinsky's influence on the Catholic Campaign for Human Development and there are clear signs to the infiltration of the RCC.

Pray the rosary; fast; pray for priests
Link Posted: 8/21/2021 11:50:50 AM EDT
[#31]
I used to receive a weekly newspaper in the mail titled: "Christian News." I didn't subscribe to it. The editor received funds from somewhere to blast it out to a mailing list. I received it from the 1980s into the 2010s.

It was all put out by one pastor who used to copy all kinds of bad stuff that was happening in various church bodies. It looked like they took pictures of other newspapers or magazines and simply reprinted them in "Christian News". There was very little original content.

I remember seeing advertisements from roughly the 1970s or 80s encouraging men to consider entering the priesthood. The odd thing was that they were in homosexual magazines. That shocked me because I had never even thought about the fact that there might be homosexual magazines!

It seems reasonable that if one advertises in homosexual magazines that homosexuals might respond.

Link Posted: 8/21/2021 1:10:57 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Pope Paul VI's ties to Saul Alinsky are more troubling to me than his sexual orientation as are those of Maritain, one of Paul VI's trusted advisors.

Add onto that Alinsky's influence on the Catholic Campaign for Human Development and there are clear signs to the infiltration of the RCC.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The video topic I referenced had to do with "Why did Pope Paul VI need to publicly denounce that he wasn't homosexual." Why did it come to this. His hypothesis was because he wasn't acting like a father. Like I said earlier. I honestly don't any reasons other than that. Though it seems like Alinksy-ites & most leftists, tend to often be sexual deviants. He spoke about how, at the time he was speaking with Rockefeller, who was pushing population control which even made it into Humane Vitae.

All this will be in his (Tim Flanders) book coming out in Oct. Called "The City of God vs. The City of Man"
Link Posted: 8/21/2021 1:13:14 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I used to receive a weekly newspaper in the mail titled: "Christian News." I didn't subscribe to it. The editor received funds from somewhere to blast it out to a mailing list. I received it from the 1980s into the 2010s.

It was all put out by one pastor who used to copy all kinds of bad stuff that was happening in various church bodies. It looked like they took pictures of other newspapers or magazines and simply reprinted them in "Christian News". There was very little original content.

I remember seeing advertisements from roughly the 1970s or 80s encouraging men to consider entering the priesthood. The odd thing was that they were in homosexual magazines. That shocked me because I had never even thought about the fact that there might be homosexual magazines!

It seems reasonable that if one advertises in homosexual magazines that homosexuals might respond.

View Quote

Wow. I belive it though.
Link Posted: 8/21/2021 2:54:34 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View Quote

In the mid-late 60s, seminaries emptied and priests asked to be laicized.  Previously, the Church did its best to not accept those afflicted with same sex attraction into seminaries.  In the early 1970s, this transitioned to a general guidance that chastity was all that was really important, regardless of attraction and discretion was left to diocesan bishops.  That set the stage for the abuse crisis that reached its peak in the 80s/90s.  

Cardinal Ratzinger was the tool Pope JPII chose to fix the situation and he, as prefect of the CDF and later as Pope BXVI, reinstated the previous rules.

As far as vocations go, there are 3 things are correlated with large number of vocations:  large families, reverent liturgy, and regular prayers for vocations.  If you're in a parish that does those three things well, your parish probably outperforms when it comes to vocations.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top