Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 12/30/2020 5:25:28 PM EDT
[#1]
I switched to USAA back about 2007 when GEICO would no longer cover AR's on my renter's insurance policy.  Did they change their stance?  

Im now using USAA for everything, car, home, banking.  No issue with covering AR's, or even more expensive English shotguns and the like.  

Link Posted: 12/30/2020 5:26:31 PM EDT
[#2]
Buzzards & Worms Need To eat
Link Posted: 12/30/2020 5:33:45 PM EDT
[#3]
my dividend has never been much...  $37 or so
Link Posted: 12/30/2020 5:37:58 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I finally checked in with Progressive to see what their rates are.

same coverage is 800$ less per year.  I've had USAA for 36 years

anybody say DONT DO IT! ????  don't switch?

I think it is warranted unless Progressive is bad news/ bad reputation...
View Quote

There are three tiers at USAA (as per my egress from USAA employment in 2001)

USAA proper - military officers = best rates

CIC - ex dependants and employees = higher than USAA

GIC - military enlisted = higher than CIC and USAA.

I get better rates from being an ex-employee than I would if I used my retired mil enlisted status.
Link Posted: 12/30/2020 5:45:12 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I wonder what gives? I've got my homeowner's insurance through them, and a Visa card, which I use for EVERYTHING. My dividend payout is usually low $50 every December.
View Quote

I’m curious as well.  I know time as a member and what you spend with USAA effects your subscriber’s account dividend; but it doesn’t sound like we are far off on either of those details.
Link Posted: 12/30/2020 5:45:48 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I had a near identical experience. USAA was going to cost a a ton more more than GEICO when adding a teenager, so I switched.

They no longer offer new home insurance policies on my area, their auto insurance is extremely high, and their brokerage services are now through Schwab. Not sure how much longer I will keep them for my banking...

That said, I had three cars totaled and major home damage during a hurricane, and USAA was amazing.
View Quote

They won't insure my home or property, their firearms / valuable personal property insurance rates are a joke, and I no longer have pay direct deposited to them.  I still have their VISA for travel since the rate is good but you could said my banking is on serious life support at USAA.  

If they closed my account I wouldn't be mad.
Link Posted: 12/30/2020 5:47:09 PM EDT
[#7]
You should shop around for your insurance every 2-3 years
Link Posted: 12/30/2020 5:51:05 PM EDT
[#8]
My USAA premium check this year was $345. In the last 27 years they've treated us like gold every time we've needed to use our insurance, and I was enlisted.

Only one side ever gets told in these threads. Bet the insurance history of some of you would be eye-opening.
Link Posted: 12/30/2020 5:51:13 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I wonder what gives? I've got my homeowner's insurance through them, and a Visa card, which I use for EVERYTHING. My dividend payout is usually low $50 every December.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I haven’t had a dividend below $50 since maybe my first 4-5 years of membership.  And the last two years have been really good - new rifle/pistol money.

Yeah, me too.  I have auto and homeowners insurance, as well as a Visa card, and my dividend was $56.49 this year.  I've been a customer going on about 30 years now.  

I was fooling around with one of those online quotes, I can't recall which insurance company it was but I was just kind of shopping around, not seriously.  I got a notecard from USAA in the mail a couple days later telling me how hard they'd work to keep my business.  I think this is one of the things I need to review for the new year.
Link Posted: 12/30/2020 5:51:18 PM EDT
[#10]
USAA was always almost double for auto rates vs others. Homeowners was good but the auto killed it.
Link Posted: 12/30/2020 5:53:26 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
My car was recently hit while parked in front of my house. The payoff they suggested was less than half of the value of the car. I protested and they said I could do my own "comps" and argue with them about it.

I have two homes and 4 cars insured with those guys. I called them back the next day and told them "I'm not going to do my own comps, what I am going to do is tell you that unless you pay me what my car is worth I'm going to buy my insurance from someone else". They wouldn't even let me off the phone before they "figured" out how they got the comp wrong and gave me what it was worth. I was pissed and told them they should be ashamed of themselves.

I think I may need to start shopping.
View Quote

Exact same situation, less than a month ago, parked front of my house and car got hit. Total loss. They gave me a reasonable ACV but I just rebuilt my top end, so I was looking for more.

I sent them all my receipts for the engine rebuild and a few higher comps, they came up $2500 on the value no questions asked. Paid out right away afterward.

Yes, they cost more than most others. I’ve had them 17 years. Only has two claims, this being the second. They have always been fair and prompt with paying claims.
Link Posted: 12/30/2020 5:58:02 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Not sure if homeowners is related to auto.  We've had USAA for a while.  We recently were denied a roofing claim.  The contractor told us that the new CEO is from Allstate and tells his adjusters to reject everything
View Quote

Bruh, I’m fighting USAA right now in a roof and siding claim from the derecho that came through last year.

As soon as this claim is wrapped up I’m dropping them and will never use them again. They sent out a third party adjuster that did the same shit to us.
Link Posted: 12/30/2020 6:04:55 PM EDT
[#13]
Haven’t looked at other companies, so not sure what the difference would be, but I also haven’t looked because USAA has always provided stealer service when we needed it and have never raised our rates afterwards.  I’ve had them for just about 20-21 years now and they’ve been great...for our cars.

Never used them for any of our homes as they were just too expensive.  Have progressive for the motorcycle which gets a discount for being a USAA member.

All these being said, if I got the same great service at a lower price, I would switch.
Link Posted: 12/30/2020 6:06:26 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Bruh, I’m fighting USAA right now in a roof and siding claim from the derecho that came through last year.

As soon as this claim is wrapped up I’m dropping them and will never use them again. They sent out a third party adjuster that did the same shit to us.
View Quote

I would be surprised if other insurance companies don’t do the same thing these days for homeowners coverage.
Link Posted: 12/30/2020 6:07:47 PM EDT
[#15]
I had USAA for many years.  When I would shop around, they asked my who I was currently with.  When I said USAA, they immediately said they would not be able to beat USAA rates.  They were nice about it, but didn't even take time to give me a quote.

When I moved, I was shocked how much USAA's rate jumped for the same coverage.  So I checked others out again.  Allstate, yes Allstate, was significantly less that USAA.  Since they are a major carrier, I switched.  Had a claim and were happy with the process.

Having USAA used to mean something.  It was almost like being eligible for a VA home loan.  Now USAA is on crack with their rates.  Nice people on the phone, but the value was lost quite sometime ago.  Too bad.  I liked them.
Link Posted: 12/30/2020 6:08:01 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 12/30/2020 6:10:51 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Had USAA for 20 years and then looked to insure by son when he started driving at 17 years old.

YUGE rate jump and used car salesman like USAA reps got me to look around.  

Yes I expected a jump when he started driving, but even when looking at rates for two adults driving a not new car, USAA was stoooopid expensive.  

Went Geico, back to normal type rates.  Fuck USAA Auto Insurance.
View Quote

I dropped USAA years, YEARS ago. Been happy with GEICO ever since.
Link Posted: 12/30/2020 6:13:59 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Business decision - they do not want your business. I had the same thing happen with me.  I got a quote from my local Farm Bureau that saved me $500-600.
View Quote

100%. USAA has a habit of quoting ridiculous rates when they don’t want your business. They’ve always been higher for me.

Had progressive for close to a decade, and their rates were always great. One accident with them (not at fault) and they were a breeze to deal with.

Like the guy I quoted, eventually went to a local farm bureau last year because they saved me even more than progressive.

Don’t think for one second these companies are loyal to you. Don’t be loyal to them.
Link Posted: 12/30/2020 6:15:08 PM EDT
[#19]
Switched to Farmers a couple years ago, after 20 or so years with USAA. About half of what I was paying.
Link Posted: 12/30/2020 6:23:30 PM EDT
[#20]
My father was a USAA member since the 1950's, and I was a USAA member for 20+ years,   as soon as I had teen drivers I jumped ship.   Used State Farm, AAA or whichever had the best rate.    Been with Progressive for over 10 years and several teen driver crashes.   Progressive handled them all no problem, and  with very modest rate increases.   I can't complain.

Kids are moved out,  I'm still with Progressive.
Link Posted: 12/30/2020 6:36:43 PM EDT
[#21]
Yup I found out the same thing last year, USAA wanted $1200 to insure 2 cars. No accidents or tickets, 800+ credit score. Called progressive and paid $500 for better coverage.
Link Posted: 12/30/2020 6:39:36 PM EDT
[#22]
I have a lot of vehicles and a lot of fast bikes.

Progressive is by FAR the cheapest I have found.
Link Posted: 12/30/2020 6:40:27 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Yup I found out the same thing last year, USAA wanted $1200 to insure 2 cars. No accidents or tickets, 800+ credit score. Called progressive and paid $500 for better coverage.
View Quote

GA is whack
Link Posted: 12/30/2020 6:42:05 PM EDT
[#24]
I got a quote from USAA for a car and a house. Both times they were so much higher than other quotes, that I thought they had made a mistake.

Good customer service is only worth so much extra $.
Link Posted: 12/30/2020 6:43:07 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Be careful about Progressive's "Snapshot" system. My fiance used it, and it "beeps" at her for aggressive driving for normal traffic.

I've been in the car with her multiple times when she would do a very normal stop at a red light, not a quick deceleration, and then it beeps after she stops.

She called to complain about it, but the Progressive reps DGAF.

ETA: So they are raising her rates. My takeaway is that tou have to factor in the rates they quote you without the Snapshot discount since they calibrate those devices to fail tou for normal traffic patterns.
View Quote
If you bothered to google it before you chose it you would have seen nearly everyone saying that snapshot bullshit doesn't save you any money and is a scam...
Link Posted: 12/30/2020 6:43:16 PM EDT
[#26]
You should see USAA's rates OCONUS.

It's mind boggling.
Link Posted: 12/30/2020 6:44:43 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Not sure if homeowners is related to auto.  We've had USAA for a while.  We recently were denied a roofing claim.  The contractor told us that the new CEO is from Allstate and tells his adjusters to reject everything
View Quote

I believe it.  I have USAA.  Got rear ended last month.  They have done nothing to help get the other guy's insurance to pay.  Their attitude is well we.left a message    25 years of premiums and they left a message
Link Posted: 12/30/2020 6:47:47 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

GA is whack
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

GA is whack
Umm ok
Link Posted: 12/30/2020 6:48:15 PM EDT
[#29]
I left USAA insurance when I bought the house last year. I was with them for 17 years, but Allstate gave me a good discount for bundling the house and car insurance together. I  just got tired of my rates going up for no reason.

I left their banking in September (also 17 years customer).
No reason, I wanted to try something different, and Discover bank has been really nice with their free checks, cash back and 0.5 interest in both savings and checking accounts.
Link Posted: 12/30/2020 6:49:05 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 12/30/2020 6:51:01 PM EDT
[#31]
I had from 1994 to early 2020. I received a letter that they were renewing with some "increases" so I decided to shop around. I DID NOT want to leave USAA but I they were almost $600 more PER MONTH for auto and home combined than Progressive / Nationwide. I called USAA and asked if there was anyting they could do but they would not budge. I could not justify over $7000 per year. That is insane. They love to tout their customer service, but to be honest, when my daughter had a small parking lot bender, the Progressive process with texts etc was the easiest I have ever used.
Link Posted: 12/30/2020 6:51:55 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

I’m curious as well.  I know time as a member and what you spend with USAA effects your subscriber’s account dividend; but it doesn’t sound like we are far off on either of those details.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Maybe it's because I'm single with no kids? Just me on the car insurance, I've owned a home since 2008.

Being able to afford a new handgun (say $500) would be near 10 times the dividend I'm getting... someone would have to spend 10 times as much on insurance products if it's just based on how much you spend with them. I've been on USAA for about 24 years now, and I've had a CC through them for probably 12 years or so.

I don't do any other banking with them. I have checking and savings at a local CU.
Link Posted: 12/30/2020 6:53:42 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Geico use to be fed employees only. I had them when stationed in Hawaii.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Long time USAA as well, recently switched all to Geico.

I think USAA got greedy and opened up to all customers they could get, not just low-risk military. Their rates are going up as a result

Geico use to be fed employees only. I had them when stationed in Hawaii.

GEICO literally stands for government employees insurance company.
Link Posted: 12/30/2020 6:54:57 PM EDT
[#34]
Shop around every time my policy expires O.o

What kind of rich fuck just pays thousands of extra dollars to an insurance company because they already have a policy with them. I ain't that rich. Bottom dollar of a reputable company for the coverage I want. Currently with esurance, but I've been with Grundy, progressive, geico, Pemco, etc I don't care, whoever gives me the best price.

ETA: I also refuse any of the trackers, never used snapshot, or the app equivalents, never will.
Link Posted: 12/30/2020 6:58:10 PM EDT
[#35]
Progressive are Communists.

USAA is the Official Insurance of the NFL.

What about Liberty Mutual, Amica, State Farm or Farmers?
Link Posted: 12/30/2020 7:03:39 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Mine is 406 bucks for 6 months with USAA.  That's with comp + collision and much better than the bare min liability.

I don't know how ya'll are getting much better rates with geico, progressive, et al.  I've periodically checked and none of them could beat the rates I get with USAA.
View Quote

I can say the same for State Farm.  I've had them for 30 years (cars, motorcycle and home) and I periodically shop around for better rates (even USAA) and no one can beat them, not even close.  I honestly don't know why as I know other who have State Farm and they pay higher rates.  I just had my roof replaced due to storm damage and they were great.
Link Posted: 12/30/2020 7:13:05 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 12/30/2020 7:14:22 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View Quote

I just dumped USAA after 12 years. Switched auto and homeowners insurance and it saved me $2600 annually between the two
Link Posted: 12/30/2020 7:15:18 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View Quote

I saved  800 a year leaving USAA
Link Posted: 12/30/2020 7:17:11 PM EDT
[#40]
USAA kinda sucks but i'm too lazy to switch everything over from USAA.
Link Posted: 12/30/2020 7:27:11 PM EDT
[#41]
I use USAA for my rental insurance, but will be moving from them once I purchase a home. Not for the least of which they seem to think all of FL is a sinkhole and won't insure ANYTHING, but their auto insurance is easily $500 more than what I am paying with Progressive.

Maybe the service is good, but with rates and policies like theirs, I'll never find out anyway...
Link Posted: 12/30/2020 7:34:01 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Maybe it's because I'm single with no kids? Just me on the car insurance, I've owned a home since 2008.

Being able to afford a new handgun (say $500) would be near 10 times the dividend I'm getting... someone would have to spend 10 times as much on insurance products if it's just based on how much you spend with them. I've been on USAA for about 24 years now, and I've had a CC through them for probably 12 years or so.

I don't do any other banking with them. I have checking and savings at a local CU.
View Quote

Well, this year’s was around $300 for me - so not a nice firearm but doable.  I don’t recall last year’s accurately; but it was significantly more than that.  You’ve had USAA longer than I have. The only real difference I see is I signed up for banking/credit with USAA as soon as I could - I think about the same time as I got car insurance but not sure as it was awhile ago.  And I’m significantly older.
Link Posted: 12/30/2020 7:35:53 PM EDT
[#43]
Fuck USAA...my account was compromised 6 times in a row, before I could even get my new card....3 weeks with no access to funds in my account... Damn good thing I had cash in the safe.
Link Posted: 12/30/2020 7:37:32 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
You should see USAA's rates OCONUS.

It's mind boggling.
View Quote

That's if they'll even insure you. But where they do, they definitely have a good thing going.
Link Posted: 12/30/2020 7:41:49 PM EDT
[#45]
My buddy just sent me this, seems apropos.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/30/2020 7:45:01 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View Quote
Similar to rates, I believe your dividend depends on your tier of coverage (USAA, CIC, or GIC). My father (USAA member for 60 years) gets a large dividend every year. I (CIC member for 30 years) get about $50. Neither of us bank with USAA, and I have only ever had auto insurance with them.
Link Posted: 12/30/2020 7:45:16 PM EDT
[#47]
Switching from USAA to Geico cut my auto insurance by about 40%.

Cheapskate Tip:  If you have one share of Berkshire Hathaway stock Geico will cut your rate even more.  :)
Link Posted: 12/30/2020 8:15:22 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

I believe it.  I have USAA.  Got rear ended last month.  They have done nothing to help get the other guy's insurance to pay.  Their attitude is well we.left a message    25 years of premiums and they left a message
View Quote

I have been hit several times but never had an at fault accident. I never let the at fault driver's insurance handle my claim. I have USAA fix my car and then the ball in in their court on getting reimbursed. Always been more than satisfied with USAA and I am a 50 year member.
Link Posted: 12/30/2020 8:56:29 PM EDT
[#49]
We use Amica, they seem to keep some high risk people out of the pool. Our claims processes and customer service in general have been outstanding. I don't think I've ever been on hold when calling. They do dividends as well.
Link Posted: 12/30/2020 9:44:13 PM EDT
[#50]
We just got a new roof courtesy of USAA. We had to pay $3,300 deductible. We got a $481 dividend. I may shop auto just to see though. They have always been great to work with.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top