Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/27/2022 10:27:23 PM EDT
Currently at a ULCC, under one year. I have an interview coming up at a Legacy. I currently live within an hour of my home base and if I get the job at this legacy, I will be commuting or driving 3.5 hours.

I’m excited about the chance to work at a legacy but it means I’m forcing myself to commute at the very least.

My wife and I have a family and some roots where we are. Is a short commute doable as a career, assuming once I have a line I can maintain that during my career (not upgrading till I have a line as a CA)?

The other option is moving which my wife is ok with but I feel like I’m severely impacting my family by doing so. It doesn’t mean we can’t put down roots elsewhere but it will definitely be a change.

It’s just tough because I don’t feel 100% on either.
Link Posted: 7/28/2022 6:28:29 AM EDT
[#1]
That’s not a bad commute. I spent the last 2 years at a regional driving 2 hours each way and honestly it got pretty routine especially if you have a car with good gas mileage. An extra 1.5 hours wouldn’t be that big of a deal.

For the last year at a major I’ve been doing the 2 hour drive plus a 1.5 hour flight. Even then it’s not that bad.

Prepare for the interview as if it’s your dream job and get the offer. That’ll give you more time for you and your wife to look at locations to relocate to or how a 3.5 hour drive would be on quality of life.

With only one year in at your current gig you’re not giving up a ton of seniority either. Get it while the hiring is good and get as many as you can junior to you.
Link Posted: 7/28/2022 9:41:41 AM EDT
[#2]
Go get it. Now is the time.

Now that I said that, is there a legacy with a closer base? Apply to all of them, get jobs with all of them, and then decide.
Link Posted: 7/28/2022 6:56:27 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Go get it. Now is the time.

Now that I said that, is there a legacy with a closer base? Apply to all of them, get jobs with all of them, and then decide.
View Quote

There is but no dice yet.
Link Posted: 7/30/2022 4:58:06 PM EDT
[#4]
Move and live in base if you get the job.  3.5 there and back will suck.  This is why I left 121 and have a home based 135 job now, all commuting is on company time.
Link Posted: 8/1/2022 8:27:40 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
That’s not a bad commute. I spent the last 2 years at a regional driving 2 hours each way and honestly it got pretty routine especially if you have a car with good gas mileage. An extra 1.5 hours wouldn’t be that big of a deal.

For the last year at a major I’ve been doing the 2 hour drive plus a 1.5 hour flight. Even then it’s not that bad.

Prepare for the interview as if it’s your dream job and get the offer. That’ll give you more time for you and your wife to look at locations to relocate to or how a 3.5 hour drive would be on quality of life.

With only one year in at your current gig you’re not giving up a ton of seniority either. Get it while the hiring is good and get as many as you can junior to you.
View Quote

Agreed, I’m not losing much at my current gig by doing this. I am preparing for it like my dream job, because it is. But the commute and potential move are the only things holding me back.
Link Posted: 8/1/2022 8:28:31 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Move and live in base if you get the job.  3.5 there and back will suck.  This is why I left 121 and have a home based 135 job now, all commuting is on company time.
View Quote

I’m afraid of that drive. I’m looking at it more as a backup than an every trip kind of deal.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top