User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 12/24/2018 2:18:53 PM EDT
Any reviews?
Link Posted: 12/24/2018 2:20:11 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm sure Craftsman is Better than horrible freight.  But this is GD and the horrible freight fan boys will be along shortly.
Link Posted: 12/24/2018 2:21:08 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'm sure Craftsman is Better than horrible freight.  But this is GD and the horrible freight fan boys will be along shortly.
View Quote
I'm here. The US General Pro boxes are pretty stout. I'm not sure if Craftsman makes a comparable box but if they do it will be 2X as much as HF.
Link Posted: 12/24/2018 2:22:58 PM EDT
[#3]
Not even close.  I have a craftsman top, middle and bottom ball bearing chest for about 25 years now.

I just welded together a 10’ workbench using 2” x 2” square tubing and 2 harbor freight 44” bottom boxes, with a seating space in the middle.

They are much better than my 25 year old craftsman.   The metal gauges are heavier

The bench idea was shamelessly stolen from SteveO at the Garage Journal
Link Posted: 12/24/2018 2:27:04 PM EDT
[#4]
My wife worked at Seas for 15 years. One of my 1st purchases was a Craftsman box. No clue on the HF boxes but the Craftsman boxes are shit. Rails come off the drawers, wheels are shit.
Link Posted: 12/24/2018 2:27:35 PM EDT
[#5]
I have a few U S General. They're pretty good, no problems.
Link Posted: 12/24/2018 2:33:36 PM EDT
[#6]
The HF tool box is a very good value. Way back you could get them for $275with a coupon  it was a steal. Mine was $350 about 8 years ago and still a great deal.
Link Posted: 12/24/2018 2:36:06 PM EDT
[#7]
They can't be as bad as my Crapsman I got back in 2000
Link Posted: 12/24/2018 2:46:30 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 12/24/2018 2:46:56 PM EDT
[#9]
IMO for a homeowner or hobbyist to just hold tools in why pay more than you have too. Making your living with these tools? Maybe a different choice.
Link Posted: 12/24/2018 2:49:22 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote
Both are Chinese
Link Posted: 12/24/2018 2:50:17 PM EDT
[#11]
I have Craftsman and HF tool boxes.  HF is MUCH better.

My son is of the same opinion and he has both.
Link Posted: 12/24/2018 2:57:31 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote
Not even close.

I have both, the HF box is light years better.
And I paid less for the HF box then the smaller Craftsman box cost me over a decade and a half prior.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/24/2018 2:59:46 PM EDT
[#13]
Go check out the many, many, many threads over at Garage Journal.

That place is the ArfCom of garage shit and they seem to like it.
Link Posted: 12/24/2018 3:02:20 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Not even close.  I have a craftsman top, middle and bottom ball bearing chest for about 25 years now.

I just welded together a 10’ workbench using 2” x 2” square tubing and 2 harbor freight 44” bottom boxes, with a seating space in the middle.

They are much better than my 25 year old craftsman.   The metal gauges are heavier

View Quote
I too am building a SteveO bench (2 44" boxes and two side cabs).
As soon as I can get the boxes. The local HF has been out of stock on both for over a month now.
Link Posted: 12/24/2018 3:03:46 PM EDT
[#15]
There was a thread on this topic just before black Friday. Someone posted a video comparing the tool boxes. US General won hands down.
Link Posted: 12/24/2018 3:04:50 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Go check out the many, many, many threads over at Garage Journal.

That place is the ArfCom of garage shit and they seem to like it.
View Quote
Disregard the above advice unless you have great impulse control or deep pockets.

GarageJournal has been by far the most expensive thing to ever happen to me.
Link Posted: 12/24/2018 3:07:55 PM EDT
[#17]
I just finished mine.  It came out really really nice.    I used a pair of 1 1/4” x 24” long receiver hitch blanks as benchvise/bench grinder mounting locations.   I even built in a footrest in the seating area due to the height (40”) of my bench.   The only thing  left for me to do is edge the bench top which was made from 1” sanded 9 ply plywood with a 3/4” MDF top.
Link Posted: 12/24/2018 3:09:15 PM EDT
[#18]
The market with a lot of stuff is weird.

We had well made, high quality American made products.

We started buying a bunch of cheap, shitty, Chinese stuff.

The Amercian quality dropped, went out of business, starting getting made in a China, etc. to compete with the low prices.

Now China has started making some higher quality more expensive stuff.

Was it by chance, or a plan all along?
Link Posted: 12/24/2018 3:09:23 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote
this

I had craftsman, but now I have 2 huge listas, and two HF (benchtop and the 44 like above).

the HF is amazing for the price. Its way ahead of craftsman by light years. Its amazing smooth and heavier built. It also has better handles and comes with liners.

Its not as good as my lista, but for the price I would buy it all day long

my new pats storage

Link Posted: 12/24/2018 3:10:34 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote
The craftsman have been shit for many years.

US General is up there with Waterloo. By the way I have 2 large Snapon Boxes and if I could do all over again I would get the US General
Link Posted: 12/24/2018 3:10:45 PM EDT
[#21]
Bumpstock Post  

Hide my Dags
Link Posted: 12/24/2018 3:15:01 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I just finished mine.  It came out really really nice.    I used a pair of 1 1/4” x 24” long receiver hitch blanks as benchvise/bench grinder mounting locations.   I even built in a footrest in the seating area due to the height (40”) of my bench.   The only thing  left for me to do is edge the bench top which was made from 1” sanded 9 ply plywood with a 3/4” MDF top.
View Quote
Cool!

Mine is going to wind up 20' long (full sticks of 2x2).
Doing 2x 44" boxes, 2x side cabs, have a footwell, room for my beer fridge and an AV equipment rack and a parking spot for my roll cart.
Unsure of what I am going to top it with as of now. Leaning towards 8' of steel plate for part (welding area) and the rest in either topped MDF or something. Wanted to grab some bowling alley lane when the local place closed up but it went quick.

Somewhat related: GJ is tied with Tacomaworld for most arfcommers spotted outside this forum.
Link Posted: 12/24/2018 3:21:18 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Cool!

Doing 2x 44" boxes, 2x side cabs, have a footwell, room for my beer fridge and an AV equipment rack and a parking spot for my roll cart.
Unsure of what I am going to top it with as of now. Leaning towards 8' of steel plate for part (welding area) and the rest in either topped MDF or something. Wanted to grab some bowling alley lane when the local place closed up but it went quick.

Somewhat related: GJ is tied with Tacomaworld for most arfcommers spotted outside this forum.
View Quote
I was going to do a 1/2” or even 5/8” steel top, but I decided that the maintenance (surface rust) was going to be more than I wanted to deal with.
Link Posted: 12/24/2018 3:21:33 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Not even close.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/107869/IMG_4648_jpg-783851.JPG
View Quote
This.

And ... you're late to the party. The HF boxes were a FREAKING STEAL when the 20% coupons worked on them.
Link Posted: 12/24/2018 3:24:40 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
IMO for a homeowner or hobbyist to just hold tools in why pay more than you have too. Making your living with these tools? Maybe a different choice.
View Quote
I’ve had quite a few coworkers that make a great living with US General, Craftsman, Waterloo, etc.

There’s a market for expensive, heavy duty boxes, but most mechanics don’t need them.
Link Posted: 12/24/2018 3:31:07 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
This.

And ... you're late to the party. The HF boxes were a FREAKING STEAL when the 20% coupons worked on them.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not even close.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/107869/IMG_4648_jpg-783851.JPG
This.

That is when I got mine.
Even had a friendly cashier that rang up the top/bottom as separate transactions so I could use two coupons.

I tried to get the new ones as part of the black friday sale. Was pissed to find out that they were bait items to get people in the store. The local HF didn't have any for two weeks before the sale and didn't have any for two weeks after. There was only one in stock anywhere within about 2 hours of me.
Link Posted: 12/24/2018 3:31:41 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote
Well you sure are wrong.

Build quality and materials lean towards to US general boxes. The craftsman bottom boxes have terrible layouts with a drawer layout favoring cubic inches over square inches. Not great for actually storing hand tools.

On the flip side, the new craftsman top boxes have the hutch, which is pretty sweet, vs the just a little too tall for not giants harbor freight top boxes.

I have a US general bottom and craftsman top. It works for what I need. But, there is no question about which is built better (it ain’t the made in USA with global materials craftsman).
Link Posted: 12/24/2018 3:31:53 PM EDT
[#28]
Craftsman sucks. I'd go with general if I had to choose between the two.
Link Posted: 12/24/2018 3:35:01 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I’ve had quite a few coworkers that make a great living with US General, Craftsman, Waterloo, etc.

There’s a market for expensive, heavy duty boxes, but most mechanics don’t need them.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

A expensive gear puller or socket will earn its keep by saving a mechanic time and money in broken parts. A tool box will never speed a job up.
Link Posted: 12/24/2018 3:36:19 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote
The Craftsman boxes are made of much thinner metal.
Link Posted: 12/24/2018 3:36:23 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
A expensive gear puller or socket will earn its keep by saving a mechanic time and money in broken parts. A tool box will never speed a job up.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

To a point.

If your box is an overcrowded, jumbled clusterfuck it will cost you time/money.

Having enough space to neatly store your tools is a moneymaker.
Having a toolbox that cost as much as your car isn't.
Link Posted: 12/24/2018 3:38:00 PM EDT
[#32]
I bought a Craftsmen rollaway back in 1970, back then was not a bad box. The new HF boxes even smoke the old Craftsmen boxes, the new Craftsmen boxes are junk.

I tell guys starting out working on cars or trucks get the HF 5 draw cart, should stand up to working full time in a shop for at least 10 years. If they don't stay in the trade they only have under $200 tied up in a box they can use at home.
Link Posted: 12/24/2018 3:40:50 PM EDT
[#33]
My wife bought me US General tool chest for Christmas, we are still waiting on it to be delivered. I did some research and the reviews seemed to be better than the craftsman and Kobalt brands from lowes.

This one
Link Posted: 12/24/2018 3:41:09 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View Quote
22 years ago I bought a craftsman chest and roll around box. This set up is still in my garage and still works great. The glides have all held up, the drawers don’t bow with weight and the box doesnt flex. 4 years ago my wife bought me an intermediate box to go with the old set. The build quality is highly disappointing sitting next to the old stuff. The drawers flex when I push them with my fingers, I picture this destroying the glides, and the box flexes as I pull the drawers out.
Link Posted: 12/24/2018 3:57:57 PM EDT
[#35]
the steevo thread in question if it hasnt been posted thus far.

https://www.garagejournal.com/forum/showthread.php?s=192422eac407bbd5b3efb152ab9f85e1&t=126086
Link Posted: 12/24/2018 4:00:39 PM EDT
[#36]
Most of my tools are Craftsman, over ten years old, and good tools for what I use it for.
The crap they put out today is not even close in quality to the older stuff.
Link Posted: 12/24/2018 4:01:56 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View Quote
I'm sure you're quite wrong. If you're in the market for a china made box, HF is the better value for size/price.

I spent my money on the Husky "pro" line.
Link Posted: 12/24/2018 4:02:44 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
My wife worked at Seas for 15 years. One of my 1st purchases was a Craftsman box. No clue on the HF boxes but the Craftsman boxes are shit. Rails come off the drawers, wheels are shit.
View Quote
I have one small Craftsman box that was gifted to me. It has sentimental value but otherwise is garbage. My Mikwaukre and my Husky are both, at least. twice as nice. I would have bought the HF one for my last box but I could get the Husky delivered. The HF boxes are nice.
Link Posted: 12/24/2018 4:03:56 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View Quote
Cool idea.
Link Posted: 12/24/2018 4:08:20 PM EDT
[#40]
I have both HF/US General and Craftsman

The HF toolboxes are way better. Not even remotely close.
Link Posted: 12/24/2018 4:08:44 PM EDT
[#41]
Lista, Stanley Vidmar and Lyon + Craigslist and Ebay.

The american made industrial storage boxes are light years ahead of anything marketed to the automotive/residential crowd including Snap on.
Link Posted: 12/24/2018 4:15:11 PM EDT
[#42]
Craftsman homeowner quality is absolute garbage. Bought one and put a 1/3 of my tools in it and the drawers fucking bent and wouldn’t open.

The only Craftsman tool box I have seen come close to hf generate tool boxes are the industrial ones.

If you buy nothing else from Harbor Freight, buy their tool boxes.
Link Posted: 12/24/2018 4:16:46 PM EDT
[#43]
I hate that harbor freight makes decent tool boxes, but they beat any husky,  craftsman ect box. Look up the reviews on YouTube.
Link Posted: 12/24/2018 4:18:48 PM EDT
[#44]
Home Depot has an industrial 52” Husky for $898.  It does go on sale from time to time. It weighs almost 600 lbs empty and has soft close drawers.  The HF boxes are very nice, too, but they cost more.
Link Posted: 12/24/2018 4:23:55 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Cool!

View Quote
I've spotted a few on user name alone!
Link Posted: 12/24/2018 4:26:24 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Home Depot has an industrial 52” Husky for $898.  It does go on sale from time to time. It weighs almost 600 lbs empty and has soft close drawers.  The HF boxes are very nice, too, but they cost more.
View Quote
+1 for the Husky toolboxes. Also available in many configurations and sizes.
Link Posted: 12/24/2018 4:28:21 PM EDT
[#47]
Just checked out HF and the went to Home depot and Lowes.
HF boxes are far superior to both Husky and Craftsman.
Link Posted: 12/24/2018 4:38:32 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
You know it's bad when horrible freight makes better products than Sears, no wonder they are going the way of the dodo bird.
Link Posted: 12/24/2018 4:43:46 PM EDT
[#49]
Crftsman makes (made?) toolboxes of varying quality and price points.  The really cheap ones are terrible.
Link Posted: 12/24/2018 4:50:05 PM EDT
[#50]
I looked at both a couple of years ago planning on buying one for my Grandboy.

Craftsman wasn't even in the same league as the HF.

Felt like it was made out of recycled Budweiser cans
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top