Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/30/2021 5:21:23 AM EDT
I have this strong urge to do something expensive and basically useless… I want to supermoto my street legal KTM 300 XCW. Problem is I can’t decide if it’s worth the $1600 it would cost to grab the rims/wheels/chains/sprockets/adapters.

Details on the bike:
-Old KTM 300 XCW (early 2000’s)
-Very recently rebuilt almost everything on her, very mechanically sound
-Street-Legal
-5-speed, wide ratio tranny
-No electric start or key

I’ve been itching to get something with an e-start for the trails I do since I’m fairly clumsy off-road and spend a lot of time picking it up on hillsides. Kicking it gets old after the 10th time or so.

This has had me deciding whether to sell the Ktm and get something newer (possibly new KLX300), or I could keep it and get a sumo setup to renew the love affair. In this option, I’d have to just suck it up with the kickstart.

So what says the hive? Do I do it?
Link Posted: 4/30/2021 5:25:11 AM EDT
[#1]
I say do it.

The only sucky part is having to stay within range of a pre mixed gas tank.

The new models with separate oil tanks make longer distance riding possible (the route I am going)
Link Posted: 4/30/2021 5:51:36 AM EDT
[#2]
It's a 300
Keep it ?
Naw.
Sell Sell Sell. To the kid who packs groceries.

Get a bigger,  newer hooligan bike.

And be a punk, in style.
Link Posted: 4/30/2021 7:01:32 AM EDT
[#3]
I  put a big bore kit on my 250SX and supermoto'd for a while, lots of fun. Back to dirt now though, albeit hardly ever anymore.
Link Posted: 4/30/2021 7:34:25 AM EDT
[#4]
I ride the woods with guys riding 300s and they hate riding the roads because of the gearing and no 6th gear. Will your gearing change make it more streetable?
Link Posted: 4/30/2021 8:20:54 AM EDT
[#5]
Yeah I want to do this exact same thing.

Don’t know why, but I think it’d be tits.

Link Posted: 4/30/2021 8:24:58 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I ride the woods with guys riding 300s and they hate riding the roads because of the gearing and no 6th gear. Will your gearing change make it more streetable?
View Quote

Potentially. People say doing 14/45 sprockets gives you the best balance on the street. Lack of 6th gear is a big negative, but I’ve hooned it around town on knobbies and hit GPS indicated 70mph without being too wound out… just buzzy as hell.
Link Posted: 4/30/2021 8:25:46 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote

That’s where I’m at with it. Does it make sense? Not really. Will I smile like a retard? You bet your ass I will.
Link Posted: 4/30/2021 8:28:35 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I say do it.

The new models with separate oil tanks make longer distance riding possible (the route I am going)
View Quote

If I had the coin for a TPI bike right now, I would definitely prefer that.

Upside of doing it to my bike now is that it only takes an axel adapter swap to go from old KTM to new, and the rims would ship with an assortment of adapters. I could hock the bike in the future, hang on to the sumo setup and swap it to a TPI bike later.
Link Posted: 4/30/2021 9:06:00 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

That’s where I’m at with it. Does it make sense? Not really. Will I smile like a retard? You bet your ass I will.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It is was me I’d do it. Don’t listen to logic and reason. Do it for the fun factor, I wanted to do the same
Link Posted: 4/30/2021 10:07:24 AM EDT
[#10]
Years ago a friend sumo'd a cr500. It was a riot! For about 10 minutes, then the vibrations made you lose all feeling in you hands and arms, and it was a mofo to start.

He sold it pretty quickly because of those issues, mainly the vibration. Your bike have rubber motor mounts?
Link Posted: 4/30/2021 10:10:12 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote

I had a street legal KX500 - not set up as a SuMo.  The novelty of a big bore 2-stroke on the street wore off very quickly.

I have 3 plated 4 strokes and while not really fun to ride on the street because they are truly dirt bikes with license plates they are worlds better than the KX500.
Link Posted: 4/30/2021 11:48:12 AM EDT
[#12]
I just finished rebuilding my cr500.  I also thought about going dual sport, but I went the other way.  I bought a second rear rim/hub on eBay and set it up with a paddle tire for the dunes.

When I was pricing stuff out I found that by the time i added rims, tires, lights, and few sm doodads,, etc, it was going to cost around  $2,000 to make the conversion.  That's a good down payment on a new or used bike (or some new kewl gun/knife stuff) that may already be set up with  everything you want.
Link Posted: 4/30/2021 1:32:02 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Years ago a friend sumo'd a cr500. It was a riot! For about 10 minutes, then the vibrations made you lose all feeling in you hands and arms, and it was a mofo to start.

He sold it pretty quickly because of those issues, mainly the vibration. Your bike have rubber motor mounts?
View Quote

I miss my old CR500, and I am always on the lookout for one.

That said, it’d be a vibration machine.
Link Posted: 4/30/2021 8:44:38 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I say do it.

View Quote

I went on a ride and one of the guys had a sumo YZ250X. He had a little bottle of oil in his pack if he needed to fill up.
Link Posted: 4/30/2021 9:44:56 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I had a street legal KX500 - not set up as a SuMo.  The novelty of a big bore 2-stroke on the street wore off very quickly.

I have 3 plated 4 strokes and while not really fun to ride on the street because they are truly dirt bikes with license plates they are worlds better than the KX500.
View Quote

This is what I’m afraid of. Maybe I should just run the knobs for a while and see how I like dealing with the issues that come with a 2stroke on the road.
Link Posted: 4/30/2021 11:39:27 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

KTM started using a 6 speed transmission in their 250 / 300's in 2011.
GasGas had a 6 speed transmission in the mid 00's.
Husky 300's had s speed transmissions prior to KTM.

How old are those 300's?
Link Posted: 4/30/2021 11:53:23 PM EDT
[#17]
Go for it.

I'm not big on the supermotos but I ride a 2003 Aprilia RS

I love sound and smell of 2-strokes and although it seems like you are on the track most of the time to stay within the powerband i wouldn't trade it for a 4T
The factory oil injection works great with my carb setup, I wouldn't want to have to mix everytime I pulled into the gas station.

Gets lots of attention and every time I ride there is someone rolling down their window at a stop light wanting to know where I got it or if they could buy it.

Link Posted: 5/1/2021 12:33:19 AM EDT
[#18]
I'd sell it. There's so much better now out of the box.

Bought one of these the beginning of last summer and have been having a blast on both street and dirt. The stock rubber is something like 90/10 on/off road. I'm looking to put 50/50 rubber on it pretty soon. It's a blast. Was ripping around streets, country highways, and dirt roads this afternoon. It's a giggle factory and a conversation starter.

Link Posted: 5/1/2021 5:31:58 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

KTM started using a 6 speed transmission in their 250 / 300's in 2011.
GasGas had a 6 speed transmission in the mid 00's.
Husky 300's had s speed transmissions prior to KTM.

How old are those 300's?
View Quote

The KTM 300 two strokes have been around since the 90s (maybe even 80s?). Mine is a 5 speed.
Link Posted: 5/1/2021 5:47:02 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Go for it.

I'm not big on the supermotos but I ride a 2003 Aprilia RS

I love sound and smell of 2-strokes and although it seems like you are on the track most of the time to stay within the powerband i wouldn't trade it for a 4T
The factory oil injection works great with my carb setup, I wouldn't want to have to mix everytime I pulled into the gas station.

Gets lots of attention and every time I ride there is someone rolling down their window at a stop light wanting to know where I got it or if they could buy it.

View Quote

That is a dream bike of mine! Is it the 50, 125, or 250? I just went down the rabbit hole and only found ONE RS250 for sale in the US right now, a 2001 with 1500 miles for $14k. Looks like it’ll remain a dream bike for a bit longer.
Link Posted: 5/1/2021 5:48:57 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Bought one of these the beginning of last summer and have been having a blast on both street and dirt. The stock rubber is something like 90/10 on/off road. I'm looking to put 50/50 rubber on it pretty soon. It's a blast. Was ripping around streets, country highways, and dirt roads this afternoon. It's a giggle factory and a conversation starter.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/369185/16187615588571155016576-1909421.jpg
View Quote

I have my big ADV bike. This dream is to scratch my itch for a lightweight and unusual bike.
Link Posted: 5/1/2021 7:59:13 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I have my big ADV bike. This dream is to scratch my itch for a lightweight and unusual bike.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/369185/16187615588571155016576-1909421.jpg

The Versys-X 300 is NOT a big adv bike; it IS an unusual bike. 300cc twin based on the Ninja motor. Almost 40hp with a 12k redline. 1st gear crawls and I've had it to 90mph in 6th. 380lbs wet. 5 gal tank with a huge range. Not a ton of suspension, but it handles steep, rocky, rutted, power line 'roads' just fine, and is hilarious fun on the street. Going single tracking this year. Cost me $5240 OTD.

Link Posted: 5/1/2021 3:41:15 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Check out KAPLAN AMERICA on youtube, they are a motorcycle shop/museum in CT. They get KX and CR500's pretty regularly and auction them.
Link Posted: 5/2/2021 4:07:36 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

So what says the hive? Do I do it?
View Quote

2k is a lot of cash to put into rims and tires on a ~20 yo bike

I have a 300 xcw myself, I cant stand riding on the road for more than 10 - 15 mins tops, rims and tires arent going to change that.

Bike market is nuts right now, make sure you look before you leap
Link Posted: 5/3/2021 11:05:23 AM EDT
[#25]
I had a YZF450 that I turned into a supermoto. The novelty wore off quick. It was even worse with a 4 speed gearbox. You had to really slip the clutch to get it going. Sold it after a couple rides.

I currently have an 09 300 xc and I wouldn't want to ride it on the street very long. Vibration would be a killer. The estart would make it nice though.  Been thinking about selling it and getting something newer as well.
Link Posted: 5/5/2021 8:58:05 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote

You want light weight, unusual, and faster than a KX500 supermoto? Buy a used Aprilia SXV-550. 72-75hp v-twin, purpose built as a supermoto. Really fast bikes.

Stay away from the early ones unless they have had the crank case seal fix done.
Link Posted: 5/5/2021 9:39:02 PM EDT
[#27]
OP, from a guy that had a street legal, SuMo’ed CRF150R, there worse decisions you can make.

I also had a SuMo’ed 500exc… it was a blast except the chassis would have required serious suspension work to really push it. A good street biased off-road tire on the stock rims probably would have been money better spent.
Link Posted: 5/5/2021 9:48:36 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

I also had a SuMo’ed 500exc… it was a blast except the chassis would have required serious suspension work to really push it. A good street biased off-road tire on the stock rims probably would have been money better spent.
View Quote

What do you mean by really push it? Like handling at freeway speeds, track stuff, or stunting?
Link Posted: 5/5/2021 11:37:47 PM EDT
[#29]
Why no 990 SMR or SMT?

Or 690 Duke for that matter?
Link Posted: 5/7/2021 8:38:20 PM EDT
[#30]
I have a (plated) 20 husky TE 250i, fuel injected, oil injected. I had a set of Supermoto wheels laying around when I first got the bike. Figured what the hell, I put them on and rode it a few times. It was fun no doubt, but really wasn’t all that pleasant to ride. The way the bike makes power and likes to run just isn’t suited for the street. And though the bike is a 6 speed “wide ratio” the gearing is far too close together.

Having the SM wheels and street tires on there does make a HUGE difference in comfort versus the knobs with rim locks.

Now my 19 500 exc-f on the other hand was an absolute blast with the SM wheels.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top