Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/15/2018 5:04:40 PM EDT
This is a project that I have wanted to do for years now, but with the relatively limited options for scale RC outboards and my self imposed limited budget I was undecided wether to do this or not.

Then I scored a pair of  Aquacraft EP1's for cheap so Im going with those for now.

Then I purchased a linear servo to use as the drive for the tilt function. It is an Actuonics pq12r rated for 11lbs of force which is great as it will probably be enough force to lift the whole boat. I did have to send it back to the manufacturer to have the program reflashed to something that would work for me and they were great to deal with.
Here is the hull Im using, picked it up on Ebey for $35 not knowing what it was but it turns out it was considered a nice hull for its time.
I just liked the looks.

Attachment Attached File

To get things started I squared up a block of aluminum and shot my motor pivot holes in it while it was still easy to hold and began cutting off the excess material. I pre drilled the holes for the corners of the cuts first than just removed what I did not want.

Attachment Attached File

By the end of the day I had something that looked like this. still a lot of material to remove, but now I can start designing the rest of the parts I will need.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/15/2018 5:15:00 PM EDT
[#1]
Looks good. Wish it was full size. Nice work on the aluminum.

Back in the 70's I was a test driver for OMC.

I like outboards too!
Link Posted: 8/15/2018 8:01:59 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Looks good. Wish it was full size. Nice work on the aluminum.

Back in the 70's I was a test driver for OMC.

I like outboards too!
View Quote
Sounds like a dream job, I always loved boats.

I got a little bit more done. This will be the transom plate that allows the motor bracket to pivot and be adjusted up and down to get the props at the right height.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/18/2018 3:21:36 PM EDT
[#3]
Moving right along.......

Here is the "Completed" transom mount and motor bracket.

It needs more work but that will be determined through fitting out the rest of the boat, then putting it on a weight loss program.

The boat overall will be a bit porky, somewhere in the neighborhood of 6lbs? The outboards are solid cast aluminum and over 1lb each.

Meant to be scale anyway so the weight will help it run true. At least thats what Im telling myself.

Attachment Attached File

And here we have it and the motors mounted to the hull so I can check if we are on the right track, Im thinking it looks good.

Please ignore the forced perspective in the shot from the rear, the motors arent that big.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/8/2018 2:28:41 PM EDT
[#4]
ost

So what do you have real boat wise?
Link Posted: 10/8/2018 2:32:28 PM EDT
[#5]
ost

So what will scale speed be?
Link Posted: 10/8/2018 2:49:40 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
ost

So what do you have real boat wise?
View Quote
Just a 14' fishing boat. I gutted it and Im making a mini bass boat out of it.

The speed should be around 25-30mph but I have no idea what that translates to as far as scale speed.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top