Posted: 4/23/2020 10:21:59 PM EDT
I'm trying to spend a little more time on chest. I generally do:
Chest Dips (unweighted right now)
seated bench press,
seated incline,
Dumbell Fly
Incline Dumbbell Fly
Pushups

I usually split these between my two 'Chest, Shoulder, Tri' days, and have recently started doing drop sets to close out with seated bench and seated incline.

Problem is, my back and shoulders end up wearing out before my chest does, and I don't think I'm getting as much breakdown in my pectorals as I otherwise could. I'm thinking I either have a problem with form, weight or both, but I am not an expert.  

Thoughts?
Link Posted: 4/24/2020 8:27:40 AM EDT
[#1]
Shoulder dominate presser maybe?

Link Posted: 4/24/2020 9:53:08 AM EDT
[#2]
By "seated bench" do you mean using a machine?

If so, the glide path of the machine often leads to a shoulder dominate press. You try can raising the seat, but I would suggest doing traditional flat barbell bench and lifting like a power lifter (which takes more strain off your shoulders).

Watch this:

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=jenifer+thompson+bench+press+101+u+tube&docid=608040448209519417&mid=9F84AE4FB5A9802196529F84AE4FB5A980219652&view=detail&FORM=VIRE
Link Posted: 4/24/2020 11:14:02 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Shoulder dominate presser maybe?
View Quote

Seems that way.

Quoted:
By "seated bench" do you mean using a machine?

If so, the glide path of the machine often leads to a shoulder dominate press. You try can raising the seat, but I would suggest doing traditional flat barbell bench and lifting like a power lifter (which takes more strain off your shoulders).

Watch this:

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=jenifer+thompson+bench+press+101+u+tube&docid=608040448209519417&mid=9F84AE4FB5A9802196529F84AE4FB5A980219652&view=detail&FORM=VIRE
View Quote

Yeah a machine. No access to a bench setup at the moment. I'll try raising the seat. Watched a few videos on pectoral isolation last night. Will give it a shot. Thanks.
Link Posted: 4/24/2020 10:18:40 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I'm trying to spend a little more time on chest. I generally do:
Chest Dips (unweighted right now)
seated bench press,
seated incline,
Dumbell Fly
Incline Dumbbell Fly
Pushups

I usually split these between my two 'Chest, Shoulder, Tri' days, and have recently started doing drop sets to close out with seated bench and seated incline.

Problem is, my back and shoulders end up wearing out before my chest does, and I don't think I'm getting as much breakdown in my pectorals as I otherwise could. I'm thinking I either have a problem with form, weight or both, but I am not an expert.  

Thoughts?
View Quote

Dips are as much in the shoulders and tris as the chest. Great compound movement. Not great at isolating the chest. My favorite push day movement to open with. Warms everything up quick.

Same with bench. Compound. Not isolation. It’s nearly impossible for most to pump chase with a barbell on a bench.

Incline press is taking some of the pec effort out of the movement, and recruiting more shoulders.

Pushups are not isolating chest. They use it, but again, a lot of shoulders, tris, and body involved in that movement. Shoulders will always fail in pushups before chest.

Dumbbell fly... now we are talking. Drop low into the stretch. Pause and fire up. But don’t do a full rep. Keep them low so your time under tension is across the full set. Only go up to 45 degrees and back down to pause in the bottom. You probably need to drop the weight to do 12-15 reps. This is not a heavy compound movement to up weight and lower reps. Opposite is better. 15 reps/ 30 seconds rest. 4 sets.

Afterward, jump right into a cable crossover type movement. With a cable or band. Dumbbell flys works max stretch/ mechanical disadvantage, the cable crossover is working peak contraction. So pause and squeeze those futher mockers hard out front. Don’t try to pull the weight in with your hands, but rather pull your elbows together. Hard to describe without doing the movement to show. Same set and rep schedule . 4 sets 12 reps, 30 seconds rest. Humble yourself and use low weight to get all the reps in with the short rest.

These two movements will shred your chest. If they don’t you’re resting too long, have zero weight, or have lost the mind muscle connection and just flailing around.
Link Posted: 4/25/2020 10:16:11 AM EDT
[#5]
Squeeze press using dumbbells.  You could probably sub with bands.  

Link Posted: 5/23/2020 1:01:52 AM EDT
[#6]
I have had some success with alternating dumbbell presses. Holding one up while lowering the other and pressing. (Not holding the inactive one at your chest).

I have also done some medium weight dumbbells on an exercise ball and it helped.

I have had the same issue with using all back for years on the bench. I would have to do burnout sets to get the chest. I shouldve done more reading and less meathead throwing of the weights around along time ago

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=07AXhucRMbE
Link Posted: 5/24/2020 6:37:58 PM EDT
[#7]
band pull a-parts and add some back work. Also shoulder rehab stuff.

Stretch the band apart in front of your chest and then rotate your shoulders / hands behind your back.

It will help, I constantly trash my shoulders doing Brazilian Jiu Jitsu.

Open Up the Shoulders: Back and Front Raise
Link Posted: 5/26/2020 10:14:46 AM EDT
[#8]
Try the pre-exhaust technique.  Do an isolation movement first like dumbbell flyes until your pecs are wrecked.  After that switch to a big compound movement like DB or regular bench press.  By isolating and wearing out the pecs first you can hit them harder with the compound movement without your shoulders giving out first.
Link Posted: 5/27/2020 10:06:33 PM EDT
[#9]
That's a lot of volume unless you're alternating movements on different workouts. I basically just do slight incline DB benches and weighted dips, occasionally BB bench.
Personally, I'd focus on getting strong on one or two "meat and potatoes" movements and do bodybuilder style volume shit later. How strong are you?
Link Posted: 5/29/2020 4:57:40 PM EDT
[#10]
ok, less of an "exercise" specific approach and more of a total body approach.  but most people who want to improve their chest hit a blocking point because A.  they simply aren't strong enough.  and B.  they have no back to balance it and be a foundation.

A.   I guarantee if you can do a good solid (non cheating) 300lb bench press, you've got a pretty good chest.   Get stronger.  and chest, shoulders, tri's all work together.    OHP, BB bench, DB bench

B.  Build your back.  You can't get stronger (and bigger) if your back is holding you back (pun not intended).  You need something to build on and balance it out. remember all muscles work in opposition and if they are out of balance, you get injured.    Deads, pulldowns, pull ups, swings, etc.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top