Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page General » SCUBA
Site Notices
Posted: 6/22/2020 10:30:37 PM EDT
Got my OW maybe 2 years ago?  Have around 18-20 dives.  Nothing more than 40 feet give or take.  

Tonight I took the EAN class, which was fun, not too hard.  Will definitely benefit me if I need it.  Grabbed a pair of lycra socks.

I took all my gear out of the basement, checked function and made sure I fit in my wet suit as I am slightly fatter.  Planning a dive on Wednesday, nothing special.

Also, took a trip to the LDS for a new computer.  Overkill for a rec diver, but I like gadgets, and it's pretty damn cool.  Especially like the display.  

Attachment Attached File

Crap mocked up...

Attachment Attached File

Couple old pics....

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 6/23/2020 7:05:06 AM EDT
[#1]
Big fan of Shearwater products!

Do you dive with the first stage mounted backwards as shown in the mock up pic?
Link Posted: 6/23/2020 8:24:03 AM EDT
[#2]
@GroupTherapy

Where are you diving? I was up at Wazee last month.

Terics are nice! I have the Perdix myself.
Link Posted: 6/23/2020 10:29:42 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Big fan of Shearwater products!

Do you dive with the first stage mounted backwards as shown in the mock up pic?
View Quote

LMAO.

Already got it turned around.  I looked at it for a minute then realized that the yellow hose goes on the bottom
Link Posted: 6/23/2020 10:30:42 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
@GroupTherapy

Where are you diving? I was up at Wazee last month.

Terics are nice! I have the Perdix myself.
View Quote

Probably Devil’s lake.  Haven’t been to Wazee.

I’ve dove Pearl probably half a dozen times.
Link Posted: 6/23/2020 11:16:59 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Probably Devil’s lake.  Haven’t been to Wazee.

I’ve dove Pearl probably half a dozen times.
View Quote

Pearl was sold last year. Diving only allowed for two more years.
Link Posted: 6/23/2020 2:32:53 PM EDT
[#6]
Good to know.  I think I might get there again.
Link Posted: 6/23/2020 2:43:04 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Good to know.  I think I might get there again.
View Quote

From what I understand, Pearl hasn’t ironed yet this year.
Link Posted: 7/22/2020 5:58:19 PM EDT
[#8]
So I have about 7-8 dives since the first post.  

Signed up for AOW in a couple weeks, which should be fun.

Traded my reg for a ScubaPro unit, and went back to a jacket style BC.. sick of kicking to keep myself upright on the surface(I know, I know, I've tried all the fixes, nothing works).

Went to Wazee Lake on Sunday.  Fun exploring a new place.  A local dive legend was there setting up rebreather training for students, and so of course I asked for tips.  I should have brought my damn gopro but didn't.  

We got down to about 45 feet and the water temp was 52 degrees.  That was pretty cold
Link Posted: 7/22/2020 5:58:44 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

From what I understand, Pearl hasn’t ironed yet this year.
View Quote

Current rumors are that there won't be diving there again.
Link Posted: 7/22/2020 6:05:54 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
So I have about 7-8 dives since the first post.  

Signed up for AOW in a couple weeks, which should be fun.

Traded my reg for a ScubaPro unit, and went back to a jacket style BC.. sick of kicking to keep myself upright on the surface(I know, I know, I've tried all the fixes, nothing works).

Went to Wazee Lake on Sunday.  Fun exploring a new place.  A local dive legend was there setting up rebreather training for students, and so of course I asked for tips.  I should have brought my damn gopro but didn't.  

We got down to about 45 feet and the water temp was 52 degrees.  That was pretty cold
View Quote

@GroupTherapy

So who was doing the RB training? Man or woman instructor?
Link Posted: 7/22/2020 6:17:39 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

@GroupTherapy

View Quote

Tamara Thomsen.

She's enough of a legend that I'm sure you at least know who she is.

She did my OW dives.
Link Posted: 7/22/2020 6:25:23 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Tamara Thomsen.

She did my OW dives.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

@GroupTherapy

Tamara Thomsen.

She did my OW dives.

Somehow I suspected it was Tami. Just sent you a PM.
Link Posted: 7/23/2020 9:46:38 AM EDT
[#13]
@GroupTherapy

You said you were cold at 52 degrees. I'm assuming you were wearing a 7mm? You might want to consider a semi dry, or what would be best, a dry suit. Depending on your size, there are plenty of used drysuits out there for sale. The local shops might even know divers who have them for sale. A drysuit really extends your diving season. I can dive all year round and I do!
Link Posted: 7/23/2020 11:10:10 AM EDT
[#14]
7/5 Hybrid.

I just bought a nicer  full 7mm suit.  Zippered arms and legs so I can get into it easier.  I’m 5-9 215, should be less than 190 LOL.  

Dry suit is a consideration but not in the budget this season.  I think diversions does a dry suit intro deal so I might give one a try.  Realistically I want to dive warm waters but due to my location that’s not going to be possible too often.
Link Posted: 7/23/2020 11:27:01 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
7/5 Hybrid.

I just bought a nicer  full 7mm suit.  Zippered arms and legs so I can get into it easier.  I’m 5-9 215, should be less than 190 LOL.  

Dry suit is a consideration but not in the budget this season.  I think diversions does a dry suit intro deal so I might give one a try.  Realistically I want to dive warm waters but due to my location that’s not going to be possible too often.
View Quote

I’ve seen used drysuits for as little as $500. Save up your pennies, shop around, and take your time.

I’m so used to diving dry with dry gloves that when I wore thin gloves at my local quarry last weekend due to warm water (69!), it felt so damned weird. I just wore my thin merino wool base layer under drysuit.
Link Posted: 8/3/2020 7:10:42 PM EDT
[#16]
This past weekend I did my AOW.  Couple different lakes, mainly due to the fact that one had a maximum depth of 42 feet.  

Day 1 at Devil's lake was peak performance buoyancy, navigation and DPV.  

Yesterday was Search and Recovery(I found the lift bag use quite fun, tying knots sucked), and the Deep dive, at Wazee Lake.

A few observations:

It was cold at 70 feet.  Wazee Lake is an old quarry.  We were down there for about 10 minutes on the platform, dive time total was 22-24 minutes or something counting descent, ascent/safety stop.

Prior the deepest I had been was 40-45 feet.  The marked increase in inhalation effort was a little disconcerting at depth.  Bothered me more than the cold.  Maybe you get used to that.  A bit unnerving combined with the dark, but I just sat there and resisted the urge to start shivering

Prior to the swim out, the instructor REPEATEDLY told EVERYONE to land on the platform, do NOT hit bottom or it will get stirrred up.  Of course, someone stirred the shit out of it and you couldn't see a thing....  Shit show.  I personally think that perhaps OW grads should get a number of dives under their belt before being allowed to do AOW.  

Attachment Attached File

I hate back swimming.  

The Teric is a delightful computer, especially the display...  Nobody else could read theirs in the dark

Link Posted: 8/4/2020 7:59:38 AM EDT
[#17]
You mean you hate surface swimming?m

Eh, 45. Just save your pennies for a drysuit.
Link Posted: 8/4/2020 8:24:59 AM EDT
[#18]
I miss diving.  Went to Australia back in March to dive the GBR and got stuck isolating for the entire trip. Such a disappointment.

Wife bought me a rescue dive certification package for my birthday.  I might finally get to use that Teric she bought me for Christmas two years ago.
Link Posted: 8/4/2020 8:32:44 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I miss diving.  Went to Australia back in March to dive the GBR and got stuck isolating for the entire trip. Such a disappointment.

Wife bought me a rescue dive certification package for my birthday.  I might finally get to use that Teric she bought me for Christmas two years ago.
View Quote

Several nice quarries in OH to dive. White Star and Gilboa.
Link Posted: 8/4/2020 8:43:16 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Gilboa is where I did all my certs.  I'll probably end up there next summer for my rescue dives.  Never heard of White Star so I'll check that out.  I need to get my own gear a regular dive buddy so I don't have to depend on my local dive shop's schedule.
Link Posted: 8/4/2020 8:48:45 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Gilboa is where I did all my certs.  I'll probably end up there next summer for my rescue dives.  Never heard of White Star so I'll check that out.  I need to get my own gear a regular dive buddy so I don't have to depend on my local dive shop's schedule.
View Quote

White Star is no deeper than 60, but it’s a county park so things aren’t as restrictive as Gilboa. The owner there can get a bit weird. I dive year round at Gilboa. I’m told White Star viz can be bad in the summer but I’ve not been there since May. Gilboa can have 70ft viz in the colder months.
Link Posted: 8/4/2020 11:28:46 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
You mean you hate surface swimming?m

Eh, 45. Just save your pennies for a drysuit.
View Quote

How about I just stay out of 45 degree water?  
Link Posted: 9/26/2020 8:12:01 PM EDT
[#23]
Just spent the last two weekends diving with a bunch of Open Water students.  I persuaded my GF to do a "try scuba" lesson, and that snowballed into her buying all her own gear and going through the OW course.  She passed, and did wonderfully.  Dare I say she did better than me - I had a lot of trouble in the beginning and came close to quitting OW several times due to fear/anxiety.

There was an odd number of students as one dropped out in the pool, so I got to play student for some of the tasks that she did.  Mostly I just swam around and watched when not needed.  Good time at Pearl Lake.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/26/2020 8:49:48 PM EDT
[#24]
Nice photos! Was her instructor a guy named Bob by any chance?
Link Posted: 9/26/2020 9:44:10 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Nice photos! Was her instructor a guy named Bob by any chance?
View Quote

I don’t know.  I know some of the Breezeway staff, but not all of them.  They’ve added some pretty new faces recently.
Link Posted: 9/26/2020 10:06:42 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

I don’t know.  I know some of the Breezeway staff, but not all of them.  They’ve added some pretty new faces recently.
View Quote

Big guy with a ginger-ish beard?
Link Posted: 9/27/2020 7:33:42 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Big guy with a ginger-ish beard?
View Quote

Nope.  Haven't seen him.
Link Posted: 9/27/2020 7:44:40 PM EDT
[#28]
Page General » SCUBA
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top