Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/21/2019 11:37:37 PM EDT
Even a little marijuana may change teen brain, study finds.

"Low levels of marijuana use — as few as one or two times — may change the teen brain, according to a new study.

The study, which looked at the brains of 46 14-year-old girls and boys from Ireland, England, France and Germany, found that teenagers who reported using recreational marijuana just once or twice displayed increased volume on MRI images in numerous brain regions involved in emotion-related processing, learning and forming memories. The results of the study were published Monday in the Journal of Neuroscience."
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 11:39:38 PM EDT
[#1]
correlation doesn't equal causation
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 11:41:53 PM EDT
[#2]
I feel like I read this article back in 1996...
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 11:46:21 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote
I mean, regardless of your stance on the devils lettuce, it’s not hard to see that certain substances like booze or weed can negatively affect your brain before it’s fully developed
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 11:47:17 PM EDT
[#4]
I guess it's settled then.
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 11:48:04 PM EDT
[#5]
Ooops
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 11:50:02 PM EDT
[#6]
Corrilation. Could be most people who try it already have less gray matter to start with, or also are the same sort of people who do other things that kill gray matter
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 11:51:36 PM EDT
[#7]
Say whaaaaaa
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 11:58:18 PM EDT
[#8]
The study did not say what the increased brain matter volume means, but the researchers noted that the enlargement of gray matter contradicts normal adolescent development.
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 12:00:11 AM EDT
[#9]
But it cures cancer.
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 12:03:38 AM EDT
[#10]
Weed helps with ADHD.

So I guess if you think too much it helps. If you think an average or below average amount already, I could see it having negative consequences.

What were we talking about again?
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 12:07:25 AM EDT
[#11]
Fuck.
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 12:11:48 AM EDT
[#12]
So it makes your brain bigger?

Not seeing a problem.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 12:13:40 AM EDT
[#13]
Hmm. Sometimes stereotypes exist for a reason.
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 12:15:59 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Ooops
View Quote

I coulda been somebody....

Link Posted: 1/22/2019 12:17:16 AM EDT
[#15]
Breathing in chemical odors from household cleaning agents probably does the same too.

Is it significant that I need to roll over and die? Probably not.
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 12:17:58 AM EDT
[#16]
One of my pothead buddies from high school has a Ph.D in computer science.
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 12:19:30 AM EDT
[#17]
a. This isn’t new news

B. Zero fucks
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 12:21:11 AM EDT
[#18]
46 seems like a really small group of subjects...

And as to their findings...   no shit. Added chemicals to developing brains is generally a very bad idea...
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 12:23:08 AM EDT
[#19]
In before the denial, scientists are stupid,and the demon alcohol comments.
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 12:24:49 AM EDT
[#20]
46 kids?

Wow, what a sample size.
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 12:25:17 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote
Right.  We don't know if they are dumber because they are potheads, or they are potheads because they are dumber.  It's really confusing.
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 12:26:21 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
But it cures cancer.
View Quote
It actually does "cure" cancer.  Cannabis oil or RSO is very effective in that regard.
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 12:26:52 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote
Wow .  He must be an outlier.  Most of the potheads I grew up with are living in trailers and can't hold a normal conversation man..........
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 12:29:07 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
It actually does "cure" cancer.  Cannabis oil or RSO is very effective in that regard.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
But it cures cancer.
My buddies wife should still be alive then. She smoked a lot of dope and ate plenty of dope laced brownies. She still died.
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 12:29:22 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Wow . He must be an outlier. Most of the potheads I grew up with are living in trailers and can't hold a normal conversation man..........
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Wow . He must be an outlier. Most of the potheads I grew up with are living in trailers and can't hold a normal conversation man..........
Yes, I guess he is.  If he isn't a genius he's damn near close to one.

I remember he had just flunked out of high school, and his SAT results were on his dresser.  He had like a combined scored of 1560 when the maximum score was 1600.
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 12:36:45 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
But it cures cancer.
View Quote
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 12:38:42 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 12:46:43 AM EDT
[#28]
So what? Big shock! smoking weed is detrimental to your health.

So is drinking alcohol, smoking cigarettes, having a pinch of Copenhagen..

This isn’t the “gotcha!”

It’s not about what it does to you, it’s about the freedom to make that choice.
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 12:51:42 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Corrilation. Could be most people who try it already have less gray matter to start with, or also are the same sort of people who do other things that kill gray matter
View Quote
You misread. They have increased amounts of gray matter, either from hindered neuronal pruning or from neurogenesis.
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 1:01:08 AM EDT
[#30]
Some of my old pothead friends are very successful smart people, some not so much. Doesn't matter. I work at a very successful young company with a relatively young group of people. I would estimate that over half of them smoke cannabis - doesn't impact their job performance whatsoever. We consistently meet or exceed expectations set by our clients.
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 1:06:05 AM EDT
[#31]
Smoking pot isn't going to make anyone rich, poor,ugly, attractive, smart or dumb.
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 1:11:31 AM EDT
[#32]
It's been well-known for many, many years, that marijuana can have drastic effects on the developing brain. OP lives under a rock.

Also, just in case anyone forgot; water is wet.
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 1:17:23 AM EDT
[#33]
In some cases it seems to makes a man strange.

Also some users have consumed a lot of propaganda and have convinced themselves that it doesn't have any negative effects.
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 1:23:09 AM EDT
[#34]
Define "Trying"...
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 1:23:18 AM EDT
[#35]
But all the good dopers say lawyers and doctors smoke it. That explains all the glass-eyed libtards ...
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 1:34:20 AM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 1:37:49 AM EDT
[#37]
It also causes increased enjoyment of listening to negro's playing jazz music.
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 2:57:04 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
But it cures cancer.
Does it come in a snake oil container?
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 3:34:59 AM EDT
[#39]
The brain undergoes remodeling- pruning of little used neurons and increased myelination for efficiency- during puberty. Interference with these processes, particularly in vulnerable teens, can result in psychological and learning problems.

This study gives a potentially troubling picture of brains in a “snapshot” during one period in the subjects’ development.

Possible correlation, no causation.
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 3:36:21 AM EDT
[#40]
But muh muh weeds
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 3:54:08 AM EDT
[#41]
Personally I don't care. Marijuana should have never been a federal issue it should have been left up to the states.

Does it cure cancer? Not enough data to say if it helps or not. If your dying anyway who cares?

Does it cause changes in adolescent brains? Not enough data to make a determination.

Would I smoke weed? Hell no, nor will I allow it in my house.
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 3:58:07 AM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 3:58:32 AM EDT
[#43]
It probably does. But what about prescribing amphetamines to seven year olds?
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 4:07:55 AM EDT
[#44]
But micro dosing more powerful hallucinogens is cool right?
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 4:08:10 AM EDT
[#45]
I believe trying is bullshit, but habitual use to be true, for some people. Myself included.

I also have a friend that never experienced the mystifying effects that weed had on me and went on to become a lawyer. Another went on to a career in the Army which he is still doing. It jacked me up more than my friends, at the time a since.

It’s just like everything else, it’s different for everyone and to conclude that it doesn’t permanently negatively affect some individuals is asinine. To believe that it affects everyone the same way is also asinine. Some people throw their lives away over booze. I still think it should be legalized.
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 4:13:57 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
I mean, regardless of your stance on the devils lettuce, it’s not hard to see that certain substances like booze or weed can negatively affect your brain before it’s fully developed
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
NO NO NO marijuana is medicine and can only have positive effects despite the fact there have been no clinical trials or any even half way decent studies.

I am all for allowing adults to get high as long as they pay their own bills and don't drive while they are messed up, but this whole medical marijuana thing is just dumb.
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 6:31:00 AM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 6:33:23 AM EDT
[#48]
And?

#baneverythingforthechildren
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 6:40:06 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
It's been well-known for many, many years, that marijuana can have drastic effects on the developing brain. OP lives under a rock.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:
Possible correlation, no causation.
So is it obviously bad for children or are we not sure? You guys need to get your stories straight!
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 7:04:01 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Some of my old pothead friends are very successful smart people, some not so much. Doesn't matter. I work at a very successful young company with a relatively young group of people. I would estimate that over half of them smoke cannabis - doesn't impact their job performance whatsoever. We consistently meet or exceed expectations set by our clients.
View Quote
So they do a good job of mowing lawns, big deal, illegals do too.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top