Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/5/2021 6:23:00 PM EDT
Anyone here use a fruit press for fresh juice? I am wanting to make a pear cider on my first go, and just bought a 3.5gal press. Do you have to mulch the fruit first? Or can you just chop it real good with a chefs knife? Also is 40-50 pears per gallon of juice a good estimate?
Link Posted: 9/5/2021 6:58:43 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Anyone here use a fruit press for fresh juice? I am wanting to make a pear cider on my first go, and just bought a 3.5gal press. Do you have to mulch the fruit first? Or can you just chop it real good with a chefs knife? Also is 40-50 pears per gallon of juice a good estimate?
View Quote

Pear "cider" isn't cider, it's perry.
Link Posted: 9/5/2021 7:46:59 PM EDT
[#2]
Ok?

So what if I do half pear juice and half Musselmans apple cider?

Link Posted: 9/5/2021 10:43:15 PM EDT
[#3]
Thinking this forum is more dead than the 3D printer forum.

prove me wrong arfcom brewers!

Link Posted: 9/6/2021 10:56:49 PM EDT
[#4]
Or dont

Link Posted: 9/11/2021 3:43:19 PM EDT
[#5]
I've had good luck just freezing the pears after a good wash in a doubled up unscented garbage bag.  Then I  put them in a sterilizing solution in a cooler. After sitting in that a while I drain and allow to thaw. Might take several days to thaw. When you get them thawed out you can just squeeze them into your fruit bag one by one with your hands. No need for a press. Just need to double the size of your primary, there will be tons of lees to leave in the primary and 1st move in secondary.
Link Posted: 10/5/2021 12:28:12 PM EDT
[#6]
I have a happy valley press and use a garbage disposal to grind the apples/pears.  I was getting about 3 gallons of juice per basket (holds about 6 gallons of grindings).  The first batch is about done bubbling so I might press some more apples
Link Posted: 12/17/2021 3:23:54 PM EDT
[#7]
@retroangles I know this is really late

Yes this part of the forum is slow. There’s quite a few guys that make cider. Haven’t done pears but apples in my experience usually produce 3 1/2-4 gallons per bushel. Pears are probably similar but they are going to squeeze differently because the pulp of pears can plug up the press cloth. You can certainly chop them up with a knife if you’re only doing a small amount. We’ve used a Happy Valley press/grinder with good results. I also built an electric grinder and used my shop press to press cider.

SIL and I recently bought and rebuilt a small commercial press that we picked up cheap.

All work fine.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Cider press

If I can answer any questions send me an IM
Link Posted: 12/17/2021 3:30:04 PM EDT
[#8]
Hey thanks for the info

I havnt seen any local deals on apples or pears. Might have to try the concentrate method this first go.

Any recommendations on a top quality yeast to use for a first cider?
Link Posted: 12/17/2021 3:43:28 PM EDT
[#9]
Yeast

Really like this stuff
Link Posted: 12/17/2021 9:18:40 PM EDT
[#10]
Bottled this last night.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 12/21/2021 1:40:32 PM EDT
[#11]
a press with increase the amount of juice you get out of your fruit.  I have only done Apple and the local orchard sells pure unrefined cider.   Just add yeast.  I usually  get around 6%abv.
Link Posted: 1/22/2022 5:00:39 PM EDT
[#12]
Very cool guys thanks for the info
Link Posted: 2/6/2022 9:11:12 PM EDT
[#13]
I am halfway through my first one gallon go at it. Gallon of store bought apple juice. 1/2 cup sugar. Safale 04. Tastes great. Not sweet. Higher abv than commercial ciders. I kegged it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top