Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/10/2022 8:03:26 PM EDT
I just got an order of three blends in. They are Peterson Early Morning, Peterson Nightcap, and Seattle Pipe Club’s Plum Pudding.

I’m new to English / non-aromatic blends and really want to jump straight into the nightcap but feel I may be better off starting with early morning pipe. EMP is the one I’m the least excited about. I have been smoking aromatics for a little over a month and want something with more flavor not necessarily so much just a pleasing room note.

Which to try first?
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/10/2022 8:47:56 PM EDT
[#1]
I’d be down to try the Plum Puddin’ and I don’t even know that I like plum pudding.  I’ve got a can of Davidoff Scotch that I'm working on right now.
Link Posted: 2/10/2022 8:51:53 PM EDT
[#2]
Nightcap for tonight.
Plum Pudding is more of an afternoon smoke to me
Link Posted: 2/10/2022 11:17:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Ended up going with Nightcap in a Missouri Meerschaum Dagner Poker Corn Cob Pipe. Was surprised by the smell of Nightcap in the tin and enjoyed the flavor quite thoroughly. Smoke was thick and velvety. Very relaxing smoke.
Link Posted: 2/11/2022 4:25:56 PM EDT
[#4]
Ya did it now! I started with aromatics and hardly touch them since trying English blends.
Link Posted: 2/15/2022 8:50:16 PM EDT
[#5]
In the same boat.

Bought 3P, Bengal Slices, Plum Pudding, Plum Pudding bourbon barrel.

I’ve tried each once. Quite a change from the aromatics. I also have a harder time keeping these lit.

Link Posted: 2/19/2022 12:00:45 AM EDT
[#6]
Plum Pudding is my go to English blend.
Nightcap is my 2nd favorite.
I do not care for EMP at all.
Link Posted: 2/20/2022 1:32:09 AM EDT
[#7]
I started off with aromatics recently, and have several that I like.

Bought some Nightcap for the heck of it, I've tried it a few times, didn't really do much for me, I'll keep smoking to give it a chance, but maybe I'm just an aromatics type of guy.
Link Posted: 2/20/2022 8:52:24 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Bought some Nightcap for the heck of it, I've tried it a few times, didn't really do much for me, I'll keep smoking to give it a chance, but maybe I'm just an aromatics type of guy.
View Quote

I started out with aromatics as well.  Opened a can of Squadron Leader and it blew me away.  Loved the English blend immediately.  

I think English blends are like "peaty" Scotch, you like them or you don't.  I despise them but love all other Scotch.

My two favorite aromatics are Cult Blood Red Moon & Sutcliff Vanilla Custard.  These two are my everyday smokes (although I only smoke 3-4 time/month.)  I buy the Sutcliff by the lb.  I do not like most things cherry but instantly loved the Cult offering.
Link Posted: 2/21/2022 12:38:35 AM EDT
[#9]
I’m a big fan of Plum Pudding.

Nice choices, OP

Link Posted: 2/21/2022 11:03:49 PM EDT
[#10]
Had a local tobacconist recommend some Peter Stokkebye English Oriental.

I kinda like it.
Link Posted: 3/3/2022 7:43:47 AM EDT
[#11]
Interesting experience thus far. First bowl of nightcap really blew me away. 2nd and 3rd were ok. First time I tried the Plum Pudding it just seemed bland. The second bowl I just had was something else and I look forward to working my way through it. Interesting how different blends can change as you work your way through the tin.
Link Posted: 3/3/2022 7:58:16 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Interesting experience thus far. First bowl of nightcap really blew me away. 2nd and 3rd were ok. First time I tried the Plum Pudding it just seemed bland. The second bowl I just had was something else and I look forward to working my way through it. Interesting how different blends can change as you work your way through the tin.
View Quote

Might be just moisture content. If any are still around, go out and by a case of jelly jars for canning. That will keep everything nice and let you open lots of tins up or buy in bulk without fear of drying out. Once you buy some jars, look up Boswell's and buy their English sampler. They have some of my favorite blends. And favorite pipes too!
Link Posted: 3/3/2022 8:51:32 AM EDT
[#13]
First time I tried Nightcap after nothing but Carter Hall/generic drugstore bulk, I was appalled. But it quickly became a favorite as I grew to enjoy better tobacco.  My all day smoke is Haunted Bookshop though...English blends are still an occasional thing for me.
Link Posted: 5/15/2022 3:36:44 PM EDT
[#14]
Dunhill 965 and Elizabethan Mixture were my "go-to" English blends for a long time.  My favorite was Schurch's Mogano blend.  I would order it (and Three Nuns) from  Synjeco .  They have a LOT of great stuff.  Esoterica's Penzance is also a winner.
Link Posted: 6/8/2022 8:21:59 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Ended up going with Nightcap in a Missouri Meerschaum Dagner Poker Corn Cob Pipe. Was surprised by the smell of Nightcap in the tin and enjoyed the flavor quite thoroughly. Smoke was thick and velvety. Very relaxing smoke.
View Quote

Nightcap could easily be my “sole tobacco” if I had to stick to only one blend.
Link Posted: 1/13/2023 11:13:03 AM EDT
[#16]
This thread is extremely helpful as I recently ordered the same tins as OP is discussing. I’m giving pipe smoking another try. As a cigar smoker I’ve made a few attempts over the past decade but give up in frustration. These responses are very insightful.
Link Posted: 1/14/2023 10:59:38 PM EDT
[#17]
I’ve never tried those, although I need to.

Westminster is my go-to English.
Link Posted: 1/14/2023 11:01:17 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Might be just moisture content. If any are still around, go out and by a case of jelly jars for canning. That will keep everything nice and let you open lots of tins up or buy in bulk without fear of drying out. Once you buy some jars, look up Boswell's and buy their English sampler. They have some of my favorite blends. And favorite pipes too!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Jelly jars are the way.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/14/2023 11:02:28 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I started out with aromatics as well.  Opened a can of Squadron Leader and it blew me away.  Loved the English blend immediately.  

I think English blends are like "peaty" Scotch, you like them or you don't.  I despise them but love all other Scotch.

My two favorite aromatics are Cult Blood Red Moon & Sutcliff Vanilla Custard.  These two are my everyday smokes (although I only smoke 3-4 time/month.)  I buy the Sutcliff by the lb.  I do not like most things cherry but instantly loved the Cult offering.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I like blending BRM, and No Bite Delight. It’s excellent for an aromatic.
Link Posted: 1/22/2023 10:30:48 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote

@WDEagle

I had my first bowl of Cult Blood Red Moon yesterday. Wow! It’s amazing. Like it so much I ordered 4 more tins. 3 for me and one to give to my buddy who has just started his pipe journey. I’m going to take your suggestion and order the Sutliff Vanilla Custard.
Link Posted: 1/22/2023 10:35:11 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

@WDEagle

I had my first bowl of Cult Blood Red Moon yesterday. Wow! It’s amazing. Like it so much I ordered 4 more tins. 3 for me and one to give to my buddy who has just started his pipe journey. I’m going to take your suggestion and order the Sutliff Vanilla Custard.
View Quote

Glad it worked for you.

The Sutliff VC is a mildly flavored tobacco that is great for an every day smoke.  It's not so much of an "In your face" taste like the CBRM.  

I have about 10 tins of CBRM.  I buy several when they are on sale.
Link Posted: 1/22/2023 10:35:13 AM EDT
[#22]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Jelly jars are the way.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/479088/D354BBB5-973A-4C01-8FB2-54CF8310A1FE_jpe-2672503.JPG

@TriggerGSP

What size is your Pelican style case in this pic? I love its use for your jars. And how do you label the jar lids like that?
Link Posted: 1/22/2023 10:36:49 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote

Just received both of these in the mail. I’m going to try this out.

Is it a 50/50 blend TriggerGSP?
Link Posted: 1/22/2023 10:37:47 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

@TriggerGSP

What size is your Pelican style case in this pic? I love its use for your jars. And how do you label the jar lids like that?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Jelly jars are the way.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/479088/D354BBB5-973A-4C01-8FB2-54CF8310A1FE_jpe-2672503.JPG

@TriggerGSP

LOL.  How did I miss that picture/post?  That looks like something that I would do.
Link Posted: 1/22/2023 12:30:31 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

@TriggerGSP

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Jelly jars are the way.

@TriggerGSP

It’s the Apache 3800 from Harbor Freight, and some of those humidor pucks from Amazon. Pucks probably are t needed, but they’re like $10. It will hold 12 jelly jars, and several misc tins/pipes/etc, or 24 jelly jars. It’s a great setup, although I recommend getting the larger one, I’ve already outgrown this one.

I engraved the lids with a fiber laser.
Link Posted: 1/22/2023 12:31:30 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I typically do 25% BRM by eyeball.
Link Posted: 1/22/2023 11:31:42 PM EDT
[#27]
My favorite aro blend that I whip up is Cherry Smash and Christmas Cookie

Link Posted: 1/23/2023 12:12:45 AM EDT
[#28]
I like Captain Earle's Ten Russians
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top