Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/20/2021 7:03:21 PM EDT
I'm tasked with installing an aftermarket rear bumper that has built in led back up lights.

What is a good make of electrical wire tap that would allow me to crimp on the existing back up light power wire on the factory harness at existing rear lamp housing.

https://www.mcmaster.com/insulation-displacement-connectors

This page from Mcmaster Carr shows one that been around forever but they don't last that long in my experience. The one in center looks very similar to what I used before but was never too impressed with durability.

Any ideas and feed back greatly appreciated.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 7:15:31 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 7:40:14 PM EDT
[#2]
First post along with two layers of shrink wrap is what I do.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 7:47:20 PM EDT
[#3]
For quick and easy I use Posi-tap.
For permanent I strip a section and solder it on, then tape with zip-tie over the tape.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 7:48:16 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
First post along with two layers of shrink wrap is what I do.
View Quote

How do you put shrink wrap without access to the end of the wire? Or do you cut it to put on shrink wrap?
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 7:51:08 PM EDT
[#5]
I've done my share of soldering.  I think though this time I'll rough it in using some kind of crimp on.  Hopefully theres a new and improved crimp on.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 7:53:34 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

How do you put shrink wrap without access to the end of the wire? Or do you cut it to put on shrink wrap?
View Quote

Good question?  Also how do strip insulation without cutting wire.  Very carefully I'm sure but was wondering if there was some trick.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 7:54:30 PM EDT
[#7]
this one, jelly filled, work good.
have to be the jell ones of whatever type

https://www.mcmaster.com/7063K32
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 8:01:39 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote

Unpin from nearest connector.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 8:04:23 PM EDT
[#9]
If it was mine.
I'd de-pin the connector up at the light socket, slip some double wall shrink tube on the wire and do your splice a few inches away from the socket.  Solder or a parallel crimp splice.  I prefer the parallel crimps splices over solder.

Link Posted: 1/20/2021 8:06:48 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
If it was mine.
I'd de-pin the connector up at the light socket, slip some double wall shrink tube on the wire and do your splice a few inches away from the socket.  Solder or a parallel crimp splice.  I prefer the parallel crimps splices over solder.

View Quote

Which make/model parallel crimp splice. Seems to be several ones out there.  Some have self sealing adhesive in them. I guess they would be good to use?
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 8:09:29 PM EDT
[#11]
I've done 87 million wire taps using butt connections by inserting two wire in one end and one in the other. If it's going to be in the elements wrap it with tape or use a heat shrink connector.

Soldering is great and all but it's almost never done in the professional world.

Never ever use a scotch lock.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 9:08:43 PM EDT
[#12]
I would do FP's soldering splice, but, afterwards, cover it with liquid electrical tape, then while it's still wet, slide over some heatshrink.  The liquid electrical tape will make it waterproof, and the heatshrink will protect it.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 11:30:43 PM EDT
[#13]
If you want better than a posi-tap or those wire taps shown on the mcmaster link "scotch lock" (all those things are crap, even the good ones) but less work than physically braiding the wires together than soldering them ...

Just get a butt-crimp that's big enough to take both wires, and on the side where there's only one wire, strip the line back far enough to double the wire over. Strip the wire, twist the strands so they aren't straight, than bend it over and crimp. Use heatshrink or tape. Go on your merry way.

There's absolutely no way I would have EVER used a posi-tap or other wire tap ... or any variant thereof (that I have seen) in a critical circuit. I have had too many fail on me. Around 20 years time as an LMR radio installer, have done more cop cars and ambulances than you could shake a stick at.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 7:52:34 AM EDT
[#14]
Thanks for the replies. I think I'll use a butt crimp and strip the power wire enough to u bend and insert that in one end of butt and the powered device(back up lights) wire in the other. Put some some electrical tape/zip tie for strain relief.  Thats if I have room. If its too tight then I'll use a crimp on tap since these are auxiliary back up lights, not mission critical,  in addition to those in factory light fixture.  Need to determine what gauge it is if I have to crimp
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 9:45:04 AM EDT
[#15]
Do not use any type of scotch lock, you'll be back fixing/redoing it in under a year.  If you splice with a butt connector, buy the ones with solder inside and shrink tube on the outside.  They're available at parts stores but you'll have to ask, they're typically not on the shelf by the other butt connectors.  Buy a cheap butane torch and use gentle heat, the solder takes a bit to melt.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 2:32:18 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Do not use any type of scotch lock, you'll be back fixing/redoing it in under a year.  If you splice with a butt connector, buy the ones with solder inside and shrink tube on the outside.  They're available at parts stores but you'll have to ask, they're typically not on the shelf by the other butt connectors.  Buy a cheap butane torch and use gentle heat, the solder takes a bit to melt.
View Quote

You can actually buy uninsulated butt crimps, crimp them on, and than just flood them with solder by putting the iron right in the middle of the crimp and feeding the solder in the ends, and finishing with tape or heat shrink. That's what I do when I need a really good mechanical and electrical connection.

You always have to remember to crimp before you solder when you do that though. if you solder than crimp, the solder will squeeze out of the joint and the wires are liable to get loose.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 12:19:59 AM EDT
[#17]
That sounds like a good deal too, buy a length of shrink tube and shrink over it.  REMEMBER to put the shrink tube on first lol
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top