Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page General » Pets
Posted: 4/16/2020 9:22:05 PM EDT
We had two dogs already (5 year old English Pointer and 9 year old Jack Russel/Parson Terrier) and the wife’s friend needed to find a new home for their German Shorthair Pointer puppy (about 9 months old) because they were getting a divorce. GSPs are one of my favorite dogs so we did a trial run of a couple days and all three dogs got along super well. We took him in and since then, for the last six weeks there’s been at least one fight every week between the English Pointer and GSP (both males). All three dogs have ended up in the vet at least once each to get stitches (GSP has twice now).

The wife is fed up and wants to find a new home for GSP. I’m overseas and will be until late summer, at best. I think they all just need more exercise but it’s been difficult for the wife to do, with all the restrictions on going out and because the weather has been shitty so the dogs can’t be left outside for long and she can’t go out and throw a ball for them for a long time. We’ve got 4 little kids so her hands are pretty full.

Any tricks/tips for getting these two dogs to figure out which one is in charge and quit fighting? I feel like if I were there, it wouldn’t be a problem because I could get them both the exercise they need and be the alpha of the family. Not going to be possible for a few more months though.

ETA: None of this was an issue at first because while the oldest two kids were at school, she could put the youngest two in the stroller and go for a run with both big dogs. They had a fight early on but seemed to be ok... now, she can't do that and the dogs just can't figure out their pecking order.
Link Posted: 4/16/2020 11:32:03 PM EDT
[#1]
Get book Don’t Shoot the Dog

See YT videos especially clicker training for dogs.
Link Posted: 4/17/2020 10:17:01 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks, I've been watching some youtube videos and will have to check out that book.
Link Posted: 4/19/2020 2:24:54 AM EDT
[#3]
Young dog needs to be kept busy.  Our 4 year old male golden got into a couple serious scraps with our alpha female in February, things had been brewing for a while.  I told my wife she had to get off her ass and get back to training him or things were going to get ugly.  

Got back into obedience training and there has not been an issue since.  Even the piddly little button pushing that went on has ended.

Training of some kind or lots of exercise should help keep the pup`s mind and energy elsewhere.

Idle paws are the devils playground.
Link Posted: 4/20/2020 10:30:23 PM EDT
[#4]
I think exercise and training will continue to help. Oddly, neither of them mess with the Jack Russel as she is the queen bee. Less than 15 lbs and she doesn't put up with their shit... strangely they listen to her even though either could eat her for lunch. But neither of the boys can figure out which one comes after her and which is last.

Is there anything to be done for that or is the answer to purely keep them both busy so they don't have time/energy to fight about it?
Link Posted: 4/27/2020 8:25:05 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I think exercise and training will continue to help. Oddly, neither of them mess with the Jack Russel as she is the queen bee. Less than 15 lbs and she doesn't put up with their shit... strangely they listen to her even though either could eat her for lunch. But neither of the boys can figure out which one comes after her and which is last.

Is there anything to be done for that or is the answer to purely keep them both busy so they don't have time/energy to fight about it?
View Quote

If they can't figure out the pack order then set it for them and ENFORCE it at all times.

My Dobermans worked it out in the beginning (and I reinforce what they worked out every day). There is no confusion who is first and who comes second.

When I brought the rescue dog home she was (and always will be) dead ass last. Last to come in or go out, last to get fed, last to get treats, etc... Rescue mutt does not even have full house privileges yet. Why? Because she has not earned them. Nothing is free...
Link Posted: 5/30/2020 11:57:47 AM EDT
[#6]
If you have the money you can try boarding them together.

Before my wife and I got married our dogs had 5-6 good fights, my GSD mix still has a good scar on the top of her head after my wifes Mastiff mix put her entire head in her mouth and chomped down. It was causing a ton of added stress in our relationship. Eventually we went on a two week trip and boarded the dogs in the same kennel at the boarder.

Ever since we picked them up they have been inseparable. Living on top of each other for those two weeks without us forced them to figure their relationship out.  It also probably kept us from stopping little squabbles they needed to have on their own and establish boundaries.
Page General » Pets
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top