Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/29/2020 10:55:52 AM EDT
Is everyone using top shelf Manfrotto tripods? What are you using if not? I have an OK travel tripod but am looking for something more stable.

Also, what other accessories are working for everyone?
Link Posted: 12/29/2020 11:00:17 AM EDT
[#1]
RRS
Link Posted: 12/29/2020 7:05:19 PM EDT
[#2]
I’ve got a manfrotto 290 main tripod and then picked up one of their travel pods for my Hawaii trip a few years back. The befree MKBFRA4-BH.

Also have a manfrotto MVMXPRO4AUS monopod topped with a surprisingly good Pergear TH3 ball head. Great head for the money, and perfect for a monopod.

RRS gets my plate business and I did just by a Kirk foot for my 200-500 f/5.6.
Link Posted: 12/29/2020 7:35:28 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
RRS
View Quote

These guys are the gold standard.  That said $$$.
I'm currently using Benro Adventure 2 carbon fiber tripod legs, Manfrotto XPro magnesium ball head, with a RRS B2-LLR-II 80mm lever clamp plate.  Works fantastic and is sturdy but lightweight, albeit put together oddly.  Probably $600 all said and done.

The switch from Manfrotto/Bogen RC2 plates was painful but the guys were right about Arca Swiss being the most universal system.  Hell, I can use a RRS plate one of my rifles and use my tripod as a shooting rest.
Link Posted: 12/30/2020 12:50:29 AM EDT
[#4]
Manfrotto is not top shelf by any means. RRS likely is, but Gitzo is good enough for me.

Kirk and Arca Swiss heads are among the best.
Link Posted: 12/30/2020 2:04:38 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Manfrotto is not top shelf by any means. RRS likely is, but Gitzo is good enough for me.

Kirk and Arca Swiss heads are among the best.
View Quote

They might not be top shelf, but some of their gear is excellent for the price.  The XPro magnesium ballhead for example ($130 or so) beats everything I've handled under $275.  Some of their tripod legs are great too.  Not all, but there are some really good ones.  Their lines are kind of hit and miss unless you're really poking at it though.  Kind of a shame really.  For someone who isn't super serious about photography they'll work great.
Link Posted: 12/30/2020 8:04:27 AM EDT
[#6]
Are there any good Tier 2 (or 3) options? I am planning on maxing out my budget on the camera itself.
Link Posted: 12/30/2020 2:53:47 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Are there any good Tier 2 (or 3) options? I am planning on maxing out my budget on the camera itself.
View Quote

What’s your budget, what mounting system, head type, etc?
Link Posted: 12/30/2020 3:22:00 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Budget currently unknown

Mounting system: probably 1/4-20 but am intrigued by the L-bracket option.

Head type... probably need to investigate that. I am accustomed to a quick attach plate and that's about it.
Link Posted: 12/30/2020 9:28:39 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Is everyone using top shelf Manfrotto tripods? What are you using if not? I have an OK travel tripod but am looking for something more stable.

Also, what other accessories are working for everyone?
View Quote

Monfrotto for me. Buy once, cry once. Cheap tripods are NOT the way to go, IMO. Mine came with a ball head piece, so it's very versatile.

One of my fav accessories is my chest holder for my camera. It takes all the weight of the camera, relieving it from my neck. I walked the SHOT Show for two days with this thing. No way I could've done that with a neck strap, IMO.

My .o2
Link Posted: 1/2/2021 12:05:14 PM EDT
[#10]
I've been happy with my Sirui carbon fiber tripods.  I have the compact T1205X and larger N3204X.  The 1205 has been a remarkable tripod for backcountry use.
Link Posted: 1/2/2021 12:06:05 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Budget currently unknown

Head type... probably need to investigate that. I am accustomed to a quick attach plate and that's about it.
View Quote

If I can convince you of nothing else, if you plan at all to use tripods (or monopods, or other mounting methods) on anything approaching a regular basis (and by that I mean at least twice a month) then spend the money and get a good L-plate (I'm looking at you, RRS) and an ARCA-compatible head for your tripod.

Seriously, 1/4-20 is a PITA.  It works, but not for frequent usage.

Think about it this way:  You might spend a couple hundred bucks for a rail for your $800 rifle but you won't spend $250 on an L-plate for your $2k camera body?

ETA, bonus of a good L-plate is QD sling attachment options.  Both RRS and Kirk are machining QD sockets into their gear now.

D500 + RRS Plate + MS3 Sling by FredMan, on Flickr

D500 + RRS Plate + MS3 Sling by FredMan, on Flickr
Link Posted: 1/2/2021 12:57:28 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

If I can convince you of nothing else, if you plan at all to use tripods (or monopods, or other mounting methods) on anything approaching a regular basis (and by that I mean at least twice a month) then spend the money and get a good L-plate (I'm looking at you, RRS) and an ARCA-compatible head for your tripod.

Think about it this way:  You might spend a couple hundred bucks for a rail for your $800 rifle but you won't spend $250 on an L-plate for your $2k camera body?

ETA, bonus of a good L-plate is QD sling attachment options.  Both RRS and Kirk are machining QD sockets into their gear now.

https://live.staticflickr.com/4519/38722941522_a87818ed2c_b.jpgD500 + RRS Plate + MS3 Sling by FredMan, on Flickr

https://live.staticflickr.com/4576/38754240241_e5bb15a75d_b.jpgD500 + RRS Plate + MS3 Sling by FredMan, on Flickr
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Budget currently unknown

https://live.staticflickr.com/4519/38722941522_a87818ed2c_b.jpgD500 + RRS Plate + MS3 Sling by FredMan, on Flickr

https://live.staticflickr.com/4576/38754240241_e5bb15a75d_b.jpgD500 + RRS Plate + MS3 Sling by FredMan, on Flickr

Good info, thanks!

I’m still in research mode for the camera itself, whether it’ll have a battery grip, etc, and then will investigate the tripod/L-bracket solution once I know more.

I really want to make ‘21 and going forward years I document photographically. I have prosumer cameras now and want to make the leap to quality, buy once cry once gear. Hence the aforementioned research.
Link Posted: 1/2/2021 6:55:57 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Good info, thanks!

I’m still in research mode for the camera itself, whether it’ll have a battery grip, etc, and then will investigate the tripod/L-bracket solution once I know more.

I really want to make ‘21 and going forward years I document photographically. I have prosumer cameras now and want to make the leap to quality, buy once cry once gear. Hence the aforementioned research.
View Quote

What do you mean by prosumer?

Technically, bodies like the D500 and D850 are prosumer; to get to pro level you'll need a D5/D6 body.
Link Posted: 1/2/2021 9:40:21 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Technically, bodies like the D500 and D850 are prosumer; to get to pro level you'll need a D5/D6 body.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good info, thanks!

Haha, back in the day (late 90s, early 2000s) a CoolPix 5000, or DX format SLR was considered Prosumer. D850 is pro. Once you get to that level you’re looking at different levels of “pro” - sports, journalism, portraits, etc.
Link Posted: 1/3/2021 4:08:39 PM EDT
[#15]
My go-to is a Manfrotto carbon fiber tripod with a pistol grip head (sold separately of course).
But it means I don't hesitate to take it with me because its so light. That way it's not a hindrance.
I can't imagine Ansel Adams lugging his rig up a mountain.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 3:28:51 AM EDT
[#16]
SLIK Pro 700DX.  I have had mine for over 20 years and it's solid.  Now you can get them in carbon fiber too.  Mine came with a pan/tilt video head but you can buy just the legs and put any ball head on them you want.

It's my go to for shots where I don't need to go with something super light and portable.

For a travel tripod that can still support a DSLR, I have a few cheap Amazon ones from K&F Concept, Neewer, and a Manfrotto that has a really crappy ball head locking mechanism and isn't up to the task of supporting a heavy camera and lens.  It's better for bridge cameras or point and shoots.

My go to is the carbon fiber Neewer for a light, compact travel tripod.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 3:09:25 PM EDT
[#17]
If you are still researching the camera, and you would consider micro 4/3 sensor size, consider Olympus OMD series.

I have two Manfrotto tripods and I carried the carbon fiber travel one all over the Galapagos. It NEVER ONCE came out of the backpack. The IBIS on the latest OMD cameras gives six stops of stabilization. I frequently shoot 1/10 or 1/8 sec handheld with tack sharp images. I did this with my OMD-EM5 MKII and OMD-EM1 MKII.

If you are not interested in micro 4/3 sensors, then the Manfrotto tripods are decent kit and can be found on sale sometimes for reasonable prices.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top