Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

What's the name of the hospital?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Im an RN, I prepared for myself and then got fired for wearing an N95 when no one else had one. The feelz. I agree, fuck the hospital admins.

No use, they won't tell us the real reason for the firing because of HR rules.
Link Posted: 3/23/2020 7:06:07 PM EDT
[#2]
Good man. We have a few but saving them for special calls in the coming weeks
Link Posted: 3/23/2020 7:08:43 PM EDT
[#3]
If you have no barrier, use a bandana.

WW2/Korea/Vietnam operating room staff used plain old cotton masks. Not the best solution as the virus is 1 micron but it's better than nothing.

best masks contained more fabric, were softer and were pleated, while the worst were stiffer, smaller and not pleated. Reusable cotton fabric masks were as effective as synthetic fabric masks when made to a good design.
View Quote

The efficiency of surgical masks of varying design and composition.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/1203649
Link Posted: 3/23/2020 7:10:05 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Hate to say, but I'm in this camp.  Cheap ass administrators didn't want to pay for storing basic safety supplies for their employees.

And the employees (including doctors and nurses) didn't pay any attention and prepare either.

Not exactly reassuring.
View Quote

You can't store or stockpile anymore because everything now has a two year (at most) expiration date.

Plus the cost of medical supplies would blow your mind.

We threw away several boxes a few months ago because they were expired.

Want to do some real good?
Let's research expiration dates on medical supplies, that's where the $$$$$ is made. The supplies are stupid expensive, they now expire in two years those two factors both prevent surpluses.
Link Posted: 3/23/2020 7:16:20 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

You can't store or stockpile anymore because everything now has a two year (at most) expiration date.
View Quote
N95 masks have a 5 year expiration.
Link Posted: 3/23/2020 7:17:18 PM EDT
[#6]
When I went to Physical Therapy this morning all the staff were wearing masks and gloves. You could not enter without having your temp taken. after a person used a piece of equipment it was wiped down. I learned each mask has a tag. At the end of the day they are sent over to the lab for testing if one comes up positive they know who used it. This was a big change from last week. Over the weekend a lady in our church tested positive. The first in our county. The state has yet to have a fatality. A week ago the state had 22 cases and now it is 197. Most people were shocked. They were counting on our being so rural to escape it. Church leaders didn't take it so seriously until she took ill. Suddenly all services were canceled until further notice. Surprise, surprise for the slow learners. Still some just can't accept reality.
Link Posted: 3/23/2020 7:18:16 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
My department is under orders not to accept outside donations.  Food is the primary no no but it goes for pretty much anything anyone is giving off the street.  No idea of the item’s history.
View Quote

But the Department expects the general population to trust the police without question?
Link Posted: 3/23/2020 7:21:31 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

But don't flamebois have way cooler things, like full face respirators?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
County here is taking donations to distribute to hospitals.  Fire guys are stupid for turning down.

But don't flamebois have way cooler things, like full face respirators?

They sure weren’t wearing them last Thursday when they came to pick our dementia subject we found after overnight search.
Link Posted: 3/23/2020 7:21:42 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
So, I have a crapton of these stored. Probably 1,000 or more. Since we are on the compound now and never leaving, I figured I would donate some. Took about 500 to the fire department & EMS station down the road. Nope, they don't want them.

Hospital happily took them.

Maybe the guy there was a retard or something.
View Quote

I wonder if the hospital might run them through an autoclave to sterilize them first, if worried about contamination (whether inadvertent or not) where as fire/EMS doesn't have that option.
Link Posted: 3/23/2020 7:24:18 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Im an RN, I prepared for myself and then got fired for wearing an N95 when no one else had one. The feelz. I agree, fuck the hospital admins.
View Quote

Would love to hear the story behind this.
Link Posted: 3/23/2020 7:27:18 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Let's research expiration dates on medical supplies, that's where the $$$$$ is made. The supplies are stupid expensive, they now expire in two years those two factors both prevent surpluses.
View Quote

Donate them to missionary hospitals. I would think they will gladly take expired ones. Better than nothing.
Link Posted: 3/23/2020 7:27:54 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
So, I have a crapton of these stored. Probably 1,000 or more. Since we are on the compound now and never leaving, I figured I would donate some. Took about 500 to the fire department & EMS station down the road. Nope, they don't want them.

View Quote

Good for you, it's their damn loss.
Link Posted: 3/23/2020 7:31:11 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I only have 20 masks here and probably will never need them.
Thought about donating them to the Sheriffs dept... but not sure if 20 would make much difference.
View Quote

Even one can make a difference. If you don't have a need get them to a hospital or some other care facility. If nothing else hook up some elderly peeps.
Link Posted: 3/23/2020 7:31:13 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 3/23/2020 7:33:38 PM EDT
[#15]
FIre departments fit test their people to a specific model of mask.  Unless they have thousands it isn’t worth the time or cost to retest everyone.
ETA:  I’m with my county EMA. We are scrounging PPE from every place we can. We are getting our shipment from the strategic national stockpile tonight. It isn’t enough for any sustained operations.
Link Posted: 3/23/2020 7:33:39 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Donate them to the hospital........ get sick later and the same hospital will bill you $15k.  Fuck them, they didnt prepare
View Quote

That is EXTREMELY shitty thinking...these masks have been on short supply and hoarded for MONTHS. These people could one day save you or a loved ones fucking life, get your head out of your ass.
Link Posted: 3/23/2020 7:34:29 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Donate them to missionary hospitals. I would think they will gladly take expired ones. Better than nothing.
View Quote

We do but the amount of goods we donate monthly would blow your mind.

The initial cost of the goods, coupled with the replacement cost is staggering...

We often get supplies from our suppliers that expire in 6mos- 20 mos from the date we receive them. We threw out a box of ties for trachs recently. They aren't sterile, they are just basically fabric and Velcro, why do they expire in two years?  We had to buy a case to replace them, the cost of the case was ridiculous.
Link Posted: 3/23/2020 7:36:24 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't think the mask itself can go bad. I think the elastic bands that hold it to your face are what goes bad.
Link Posted: 3/23/2020 7:37:31 PM EDT
[#19]
I only had 2 left from a 3pk and the local hospital gave them to security. They said they could not risk front line ER/nursing people using masks of unknown storage and origin. They were glad to save two of their known masks for the ER while still able to protect secondary staff. I guess they can sterilize and reuse them for the same person so they are tagging masks around the elastic.
Link Posted: 3/23/2020 7:39:18 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I only had 2 left from a 3pk and the local hospital gave them to security. They said they could not risk front line ER/nursing people using masks of unknown storage and origin. They were glad to save two of their known masks for the ER while still able to protect secondary staff. I guess they can sterilize and reuse them for the same person so they are tagging masks around the elastic.
View Quote

I'd love to know what method they are using to sterilize masks.
Link Posted: 3/23/2020 7:43:04 PM EDT
[#21]
read a comment that all of the sudden facebook is donating 700k masks they had stored in a warehouse.    The comments were why the fuck did they have 700k masks.  not seen the story myself but they said it was announced during the task force briefing by Pence.
Link Posted: 3/23/2020 7:46:36 PM EDT
[#22]
Chief must own 3M stock.
Link Posted: 3/23/2020 7:46:40 PM EDT
[#23]
In case of California wildfires, for their employees they said. Make you wonder how many they still have.
Link Posted: 3/23/2020 7:47:17 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
They told me they weren't the right brand. They can only use ones branded 3m in some manner. Mine are made by some place called Sperian. Hospital was like "fuck yeah!"
View Quote

I have 20 and the hospital I called said the same. They very were happy for so few masks.

ETA: My brother’s construction company donated 2400 N95s to two area hospitals. They were ecstatic.
Link Posted: 3/23/2020 7:53:06 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I only have 20 masks here and probably will never need them.
Thought about donating them to the Sheriffs dept... but not sure if 20 would make much difference.
View Quote

@Dragracer_Art

I'm sure any donation in a time of crisis would be appreciated. If the sheriff doesn't want them then I'm sure the hospital staff would jump all over it. Just make sure two things, first.

1.) You don't need them yourself. (Family First)

2.) If you donate them, take the necessary precautions because of that whole "no good deed goes unpunished" thing.
Link Posted: 3/23/2020 7:57:44 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

But the Department expects the general population to trust the police without question?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
My department is under orders not to accept outside donations.  Food is the primary no no but it goes for pretty much anything anyone is giving off the street.  No idea of the item’s history.

My department is a fire department, not police department.  In terms of PPE were ok for now.  I have no idea what 2 or 3 months from now will look like.
Link Posted: 3/23/2020 8:04:17 PM EDT
[#27]
Man i’d welcome you with open arms! Philly’s plan for us is “wear a mask!”

....yet they dont give us any
Link Posted: 3/23/2020 8:14:33 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
They prob don’t want someone covid 19 positive to cough on the inside of all of them and get the whole team sick.

Unfortunately it’s a legitimate concern in today’s world.
View Quote

Team? It's a police department not special forces.
Link Posted: 3/23/2020 8:17:13 PM EDT
[#29]
That was an awesome try of your PikeSlayer.  My buddy told me SFPD still doesn't have them.   I expect a lot of them to catch it.
Link Posted: 3/23/2020 8:22:01 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

I wonder if the hospital might run them through an autoclave to sterilize them first, if worried about contamination (whether inadvertent or not) where as fire/EMS doesn't have that option.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Can't really do that unless they have an irradiating Co 60 sterilizer, which they don't. Can't run them in a regular steam sterilizer. Can't run them through a H2O2 sterilizer. *Might* be able to run them through an EO sterilizer but very few hospitals have them these days due the risks associated with those. An O3 sterilizer may work, not sure, but very few if any hospitals use those.

Also, you can't sterilize without first cleaning and disinfecting. The masks would have to be washed then sterilized. Washing would destroy most masks, or at the least make a bigger mess.

OP and others who have donated, thank you and good on you.
Link Posted: 3/23/2020 8:24:48 PM EDT
[#31]
I've donated a couple hundred to friends in nursing. One hospital threatened to fire my friend if she didn't take it off. She walked out.
Link Posted: 3/23/2020 8:28:02 PM EDT
[#32]
I'll take any masks and give them to local EMS/hospital if anyone has any.

Suspected to run out in 3 weeks.
Link Posted: 3/23/2020 8:28:45 PM EDT
[#33]
I always though ammo and gold were going to be the currency of the apocalypse.

Turns out it is actually TP and N95 masks.
Link Posted: 3/23/2020 8:29:04 PM EDT
[#34]
I gave as many as I could take from work to my paramedic buddy. They gladly took them. Cocksuckers at work tried to hide them for them selves even though there’s like 10 people between 7 buildings and we don’t interact with anyone right now.
Link Posted: 3/23/2020 8:29:41 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nootropics started a thread on it.
Link Posted: 3/23/2020 8:40:49 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Okay we have more going out to Madison. Thank you to GTHKTX who turned the offer so the clinic there could have them.
View Quote

Very kind of you...thanks much for your generosity.
Link Posted: 3/24/2020 12:32:54 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hate to say, but I'm in this camp.  Cheap ass administrators didn't want to pay for storing basic safety supplies for their employees.

And the employees (including doctors and nurses) didn't pay any attention and prepare either.

Not exactly reassuring.

Well as someone who’s in charge of ops

I keep my expired bottled water during hurricane season

Let that sink in
Link Posted: 3/24/2020 12:34:37 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 3/24/2020 12:45:17 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Donate them to the hospital........ get sick later and the same hospital will bill you $15k.  Fuck them, they didnt prepare
View Quote

That has nothing to do with the docs and nurses risking their lives with no or inadequate PPE.
Link Posted: 3/24/2020 12:49:22 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Okay we have more going out to Madison. Thank you to GTHKTX who turned the offer so the clinic there could have them.
View Quote
Thank you.
Link Posted: 3/24/2020 1:14:05 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Traditional CDC guidelines say one mask/one patient.  Otherwise you run a risk of cross contamination of other rooms/areas/patients.  They've suspended this though, since there aren't enough masks to do that.
View Quote

Disinfect them with a cheap ozone machine.  Stick them in a thick plastic bag or container and turn the machine on.
Link Posted: 3/24/2020 2:09:12 PM EDT
[#42]
I gave away 18 masks last night to a couple doctor friends of ours.

As for sterilizing, at what temperature would the straps become damaged?  I'm wondering if the masks could be baked in a toaster oven for a while.
Link Posted: 3/24/2020 2:19:21 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
They prob don’t want someone covid 19 positive to cough on the inside of all of them and get the whole team sick.

Unfortunately it’s a legitimate concern in today’s world.
View Quote

I doubt they plan on needing them within 3 days.  After 3 days, a virus infested mask will be clean. But people are dumb.
Link Posted: 3/24/2020 2:20:55 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View Quote

If they were volunteers, the answer is "Probably"
Link Posted: 3/24/2020 2:24:27 PM EDT
[#45]
If any one want sell any let me know wife works at a hospital and they are supper low in NJ..
Link Posted: 3/24/2020 2:25:02 PM EDT
[#46]
You ‘gave’ them to a hospital?

You know they are going to turn around an charge a sick person $100 for that mask.
Link Posted: 3/24/2020 2:27:24 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 3/24/2020 2:33:25 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Find and read the whole thread first.
https://www.ar15.com/forums/General/So-I-got-fired-today-RN-COVID19/5-2307260/?page=1
Link Posted: 3/24/2020 2:35:36 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
You ‘gave’ them to a hospital?

You know they are going to turn around an charge a sick person $100 for that mask.
View Quote

Maybe so. I don't care. I can't be an asshole everyday, sometimes I take the day off.
Link Posted: 3/24/2020 2:39:19 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View Quote

Well they are hose draggers and ambulance drivers
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top