Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 12/7/2022 10:11:34 AM EDT
"Ludovic Michaud was driving around the scenic red rock landscapes of Utah's Arches National Park on a windy spring day in 2020 when something unthinkable happened: A metal gate whipped around, sliced through the passenger door of his car and decapitated his new 25-year-old wife, Esther Nakajjigo"

https://www.foxnews.com/us/trial-begins-death-ugandan-activist-decapitated-swinging-gate-utah-park?dicbo=v2-450c5b93b0585098bd6c3a2898013999
Link Posted: 12/7/2022 10:13:22 AM EDT
[#1]
Holy shit.

He had to drive into it, though. Or are we talking about crazy wind speeds?
Link Posted: 12/7/2022 10:15:16 AM EDT
[#2]
Wow! Talk about your time to go.
Link Posted: 12/7/2022 10:16:32 AM EDT
[#3]
Well that will not buff out.

Asking for $140 million over an accident?  Yeah, okay...
Link Posted: 12/7/2022 10:16:37 AM EDT
[#4]
Nature finds a way?

But seriously, the notion that her life was worth more than some other life is BS. And this crap will get tons of national park sites shut down.
Link Posted: 12/7/2022 10:27:42 AM EDT
[#5]
Jesus. That's awful.
Link Posted: 12/7/2022 10:30:45 AM EDT
[#6]
Park service policy is to lock open gates open. It really does sound like negligence.
Link Posted: 12/7/2022 10:31:19 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Holy shit.

He had to drive into it, though. Or are we talking about crazy wind speeds?
View Quote

Wind.
Link Posted: 12/7/2022 10:31:33 AM EDT
[#8]
Yeah 3.5 sounds reasonable. 140? gtfo.
Link Posted: 12/7/2022 10:36:16 AM EDT
[#9]
A guy I used to work with ran into a gate.....speared the truck and went right over his shoulder.   Went through the radiator, out the hood, through the windshield,  and out the back glass before stopping the truck.
Link Posted: 12/7/2022 10:37:46 AM EDT
[#10]
From the article...

United States attorneys do not dispute that park officials shouldered blame, but argued the amount the family should be awarded is far less and called into questions the ways in which the damages being sought were calculated. They said claims by the family's lawyers that Nakajjigo, who was 25 at the time of her death, was on track to be a non-profit CEO shortly were too speculative to be used as a basis for damages.

LOLlly LOL.  Come on.  Is this the Ugandan take on she was going to cure cancer?
Link Posted: 12/7/2022 10:41:10 AM EDT
[#11]
Damn, that’s some Final Destination shit right there.
Link Posted: 12/7/2022 10:41:13 AM EDT
[#12]
I don't think having your young wife decapitated by a swinging gate is worse than being followed around a walmart by RACISM!
Link Posted: 12/7/2022 10:44:31 AM EDT
[#14]
I need one of those gates
Link Posted: 12/7/2022 10:46:20 AM EDT
[#15]
Write the check...full amount.  Their loss...their number.
Link Posted: 12/7/2022 10:49:42 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

You do realize it will be your bank account the check will be written on.

Link Posted: 12/7/2022 10:49:56 AM EDT
[#17]
I think that guy dodged a gate...uh...bullet...

She was gonna be trouble.
Link Posted: 12/7/2022 10:49:57 AM EDT
[#18]

Her care and the gate. Guess just bad luck. That's horrible.

Link Posted: 12/7/2022 10:52:08 AM EDT
[#19]
So, after reading the article....

I suspect that the wind didn't blow the gate at the moment they drove past, but, rather, the wind had either already moved the gate, or as they drove past it they were close to it and maybe they touched the edge of the gate, maybe the wind moved it an inch and once it touched sheet metal it penetrated and the rest was history.

It is NOT as if they were sitting still and the gate swung around like a giant battle-axe.

It's a genuinely terrible accident, but whether there's any culpability for negligence is a more complex question. I'm no champion of the NPS, anyone who has been here long knows that, but in this case......ehhhhh, I need a lot of details before I say they owe him money for this.
Link Posted: 12/7/2022 10:52:33 AM EDT
[#20]
In other news today from Florida, Florida man + Dog + Baby Jesus
Link Posted: 12/7/2022 10:54:08 AM EDT
[#21]
3.5 million isn't enough for the coffers of the attorney. Thinking a non-profit CEO should be making a million with zero education and experience, seems, well, like a big stretch.
Link Posted: 12/7/2022 10:55:23 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

lol...no it won't.  Stop being hysterical.
Link Posted: 12/7/2022 10:55:28 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

I suspect that the wind didn't blow the gate at the moment they drove past, but, rather, the wind had either already moved the gate, or as they drove past it they were close to it and maybe they touched the edge of the gate, maybe the wind moved it an inch and once it touched sheet metal it penetrated and the rest was history.

It is NOT as if they were sitting still and the gate swung around like a giant battle-axe.
View Quote

This is what I was thinking. I could see crazy, gale force winds moving the gate fast enough to kill the woman if it struck her head while the vehicle was stationary. But given the decapitation and damage to the vehicle, they had to be moving, too.

Link Posted: 12/7/2022 11:08:21 AM EDT
[#24]
That's a bummer, but the wind blowing something into the road and you driving into it does not equal 140 million
Link Posted: 12/7/2022 11:14:36 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote

I vote we give them all of your possessions
Link Posted: 12/7/2022 11:20:40 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Park service policy is to lock open gates open. It really does sound like negligence.
View Quote

The Park Service isn't disagreeing, the PS is saying the amount is ridiculous, and the amount is.

The plaintiff is trying to say this broad (from a Country where people make about $1k a YEAR) was on track to become some sort of CEO, which is horseshit. Give the hubby five cows, a plane ticket home, and call it a day.
Link Posted: 12/7/2022 11:21:40 AM EDT
[#27]
Sounds like Mad Libs, sheesh.
Link Posted: 12/7/2022 11:23:18 AM EDT
[#28]
That's absolutely tragic.
I don't think a girl with no degree who worked as a hostess was on track to ceo of a fortune 500 company.  
I think the driver is at fault, you were not paying attention.
Link Posted: 12/7/2022 11:24:19 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

It's a genuinely terrible accident, but whether there's any culpability for negligence is a more complex question. I'm no champion of the NPS, anyone who has been here long knows that, but in this case......ehhhhh, I need a lot of details before I say they owe him money for this.
View Quote

There's no way it would have to force to do what you're saying it did without a high amount of velocity.
Link Posted: 12/7/2022 11:24:42 AM EDT
[#30]
That’s some serious Final Destination shit right there.
Link Posted: 12/7/2022 11:25:04 AM EDT
[#31]
That’s some “Final Destination” shit…
Link Posted: 12/7/2022 11:27:59 AM EDT
[#32]

At least the NYPost article had pictures of the killer gate.
Link Posted: 12/7/2022 11:33:17 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote
Those signs mounted on the pipe gate probably catch the wind pretty good. But there does appear to be a dent in the grill under the hood of the car, suggesting it was already in the road when they got there.
Link Posted: 12/7/2022 11:35:50 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Agreed
Link Posted: 12/7/2022 11:36:45 AM EDT
[#35]
Years ago I worked a similar situation, A lowboy truck carrying a rock crusher (I think), a strap came loose and one of the funnel wings on top of the machine rose.  The truck went under an underpass, the wing caught and ripped off.  It crossed the over the center barricades and cut through a car carrying a man and his wife headed on their honeymoon.  She was killed instantly in the passenger seat when the heavy steel wing cut through the roof and out her door.  Her husband in the drivers seat was physically unharmed.

The truck driver kept going, he didn't hear or feel anything.  He got caught an hour or so later.  He acted as if he was not aware of what happened.  In his case I believed him.
Link Posted: 12/7/2022 11:37:07 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View Quote
Yep.  it's not like this is some giant death trap that the entire world is aware of, and the Park Service was maliciously negligent.
This is nothing more than a payday opportunity for yet another immigrant, and another way to fleece the American taxpayer.
Link Posted: 12/7/2022 11:37:14 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
That’s some “Final Destination” shit…
View Quote

It is! Crazy
Link Posted: 12/7/2022 11:39:04 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
3.5 million isn't enough for the coffers of the attorney. Thinking a non-profit CEO should be making a million with zero education and experience, seems, well, like a big stretch.
View Quote

I bet Ben Crump wouldn't even return a phone call for less than $10 million
Link Posted: 12/7/2022 11:39:10 AM EDT
[#39]
Money grab for the lawyer involved who I'm sure put that notion in the families head but at 25 years old the girl
did accomplish more than most  25  year old women.
Link Posted: 12/7/2022 11:43:49 AM EDT
[#40]
Activist reduces the amount.

Non profit reduces the amount.

Ugandan GDP per capita reduces the amount.

Doesn't have a real job that contributes to civilization reduces the amount.

$1.49 seems reasonable.

$0.49 to legal fees.

$1.00 to client.

Link Posted: 12/7/2022 11:50:50 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Agreed
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Agreed

You do that a lot Clay...lol  
Link Posted: 12/7/2022 11:51:22 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Those signs mounted on the pipe gate probably catch the wind pretty good. But there does appear to be a dent in the grill under the hood of the car, suggesting it was already in the road when they got there.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The only damage from the gate is to the door, all other damage is from the firefighters.
Link Posted: 12/7/2022 11:59:40 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Nature finds a way?
View Quote

There it is.
Link Posted: 12/7/2022 12:00:42 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

There's no way it would have to force to do what you're saying it did without a high amount of velocity.
View Quote

Oh, I agree - velocity from the car.
Link Posted: 12/7/2022 12:07:01 PM EDT
[#45]
Did the gate Spear her, as in a Jousting tournament?     Or was it 90% to the road?      Pretty grody either way, just curious.
Link Posted: 12/7/2022 12:09:18 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Speed limit in the park is typically pretty low.  Especially near the visitor center.  Curious how fast he was going.

Still, park was negligent in not securing the gate.  Lawyers will always inflate the damage request so they will get much less than $140M.
Link Posted: 12/7/2022 12:21:09 PM EDT
[#47]
3-4 million plus lawyers cut.

140 million is crazy.
Link Posted: 12/7/2022 12:22:10 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

The Park Service isn't disagreeing, the PS is saying the amount is ridiculous, and the amount is.

The plaintiff is trying to say this broad (from a Country where people make about $1k a YEAR) was on track to become some sort of CEO, which is horseshit. Give the hubby five cows, a plane ticket home, and call it a day.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You’re such a jerk! 5 cows? Really?

5 cows and 2 goats!

Link Posted: 12/7/2022 12:22:22 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Did the gate Spear her, as in a Jousting tournament?     Or was it 90% to the road?      Pretty grody either way, just curious.
View Quote

She was basically torn in half by the gate/stop sign.  I'm actually confused how the driver didn't get hit as a 5ft section of the gate swept the interior of the car.  Her head is under the tarp by the gate.

FOX 13 Investigates: Grisly decapitation of ambassador at Arches
Link Posted: 12/7/2022 12:23:02 PM EDT
[#50]
25 years old and now gone, terrible.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top