Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/16/2021 10:30:50 PM EDT
So, we have this big elm on the property that is starting to shed branches.  We're thinking its end of life, so we need to take it down.  Also one of the branches it shed took down part of our fence, and we need the tree gone to put up a new fence.

Tree has 2 main trunks, split about 5 feet up.   (Pros can tell where this is going...)  Main trunk is 34" diameter. Splits about 12-14" each.

I know my 16" saw is not going to do this, so I rent a 25" Stihl.  Notch it carefully to aim the fall.  Start the counter cut,  and once the tree makes its first cracking sound, the rental saw stalls.  Trapped in the trunk!  On the counter cut?  What the heck?

On closer inspection, the split has started to separate.  The half that is on the side we DON'T want the tree to fall (counter cut side) has trapped the saw.  If it falls the wrong way. it could take out desirable trees, or even neighbors fence.

So, we decided to give up and call some pros.  Who are going to hate us because the tree is in an unstable state...  

Any thoughts?  

Link Posted: 4/16/2021 11:26:32 PM EDT
[#1]
rope, chains, cable, truck, atv,  winch,   harbor freight hand winch, ..... find a way    pull it the direction you want it to go.

Worst case it falls on someone before it gets taken down.
Link Posted: 4/17/2021 8:05:12 AM EDT
[#2]
Hard to say what you should have done without seeing the tree and surrounding area.  It might have been better to cut above where it split 5' off the ground, Then drop the main stump after the top is down.  At the very least, you should have had ropes or cables in that one before you started cutting.  That's neither here nor there, given your current situation.

You might be able to salvage this operation by pounding in some wedges to get your cut separated and nudge it in the right direction.  If you can get a rope in the tree, without climbing it, do that too.  Attach a messenger line to a small weight, throw it over a substantial branch as high up as you can get it, and use that to haul your rope up.  Do the rope before the wedges, since it might go once you start with the wedges, and you really don't want it to fall while you're trying to get a rope on it.  For God's sake, be careful though.  Also, pull the saw out as soon as the cut opens up enough to do so and get it clear, unless you want to buy a replacement.  Obviously, get the hell away from the stump as soon as the tree starts to go over.  Based on your description of the tree, it's probably going to roll as it comes down and kick as it hits the ground.

Sometimes trees just don't want to cooperate.

Link Posted: 4/17/2021 9:26:49 AM EDT
[#3]
Co-dominant stems often have bark inclusions way down from the crotch, it is often best to take the stems separately or tie them together high and low.

You did the correct thing in getting help, hope it works out.
Link Posted: 4/17/2021 12:32:18 PM EDT
[#4]
No expert, but after watching the pros drop 25 tall fir trees that were right next to my house, I think wedges are the secret.  

You need some wedges.
Link Posted: 4/17/2021 12:53:46 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
rope, chains, cable, truck, atv,  winch,   harbor freight hand winch, ..... find a way    pull it the direction you want it to go.

Worst case it falls on someone before it gets taken down.
View Quote

Long ropes, long chains, long cable, ... :-)
Link Posted: 4/17/2021 4:07:52 PM EDT
[#6]
Hire someone with a big enough boom to piece it out from the top.

There is no good way to asses the strength of the joint between the two trunks.
Link Posted: 4/17/2021 11:13:05 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Co-dominant stems often have bark inclusions way down from the crotch, it is often best to take the stems separately or tie them together high and low.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

This^^^

No offense but many people have no business felling trees. I think this sounds like OP got in above his level of knowledge and experience.

Any tree i cut that is liable to split gets a very healthy wrap of chain, real G70 DOT chain to keep it under control if it does split.

Couple years ago I had a 3-trunk Tulip Poplar. The 2 larger trunks about 28" each right above the split, the 3rd about 12". One day I noticed the one overhanging my driveway (one of the larger 2) was split from about 10 feet up to 40 feet (long split). I knew I had to get it down before it split to the cut point (where it would be too dangerous to cut) or before it came down in a way to block the drive but not be safely removed.

I wrapped it up with chain, and laid it down right where I wanted it, no further splitting. The chain held it together even when it hit the ground.

Quoted:
No expert, but after watching the pros drop 25 tall fir trees that were right next to my house, I think wedges are the secret.  

You need some wedges.

Wedges aren't the be-all, end-all but they are a crucial tool for felling. You should never consider felling trees without them.
Link Posted: 4/17/2021 11:50:30 PM EDT
[#8]
Not going to BS you.

I once got a call from my uncle, who had no business doing tree work, saying he needed some assistance with felling a tree.

When I arrived, he was in a similar situation as you, OP. Stuck chainsaw and tree heading in the wrong direction.

So, I returned home and got my work truck. A KW HD wrecker!

After some careful rope throwing and some fancy rigging, I winched that SOB until it snapped and landed right where it needed to go.

I realize I am of no help, but I do love telling that story and only wish I had taken pics of the event. However, it was long ago, pre-smartphone so no pics.
Link Posted: 4/18/2021 12:39:43 AM EDT
[#9]
good friend of mine and coworker for many years that I sold my deer blind to was crushed by a large tree he attempted to cut down on his deer lease. I would leave all large trees to the pros.
Link Posted: 4/18/2021 8:55:12 PM EDT
[#10]
Years ago I was cutting a tree that started going the wrong way towards the power lines and pinched the saw.  Put every rope chain and cable I had on it and the little come along I had couldn't bring it back over.  Ended up calling the power company and they sent a crew out that had it down in ten minutes.  First thing they did was to take the saw off of the bar so the tree wouldn't smash it if it came down wrong.  If you can get that off it might save you from buying the rental place a new saw.
Link Posted: 4/19/2021 12:41:18 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Years ago I was cutting a tree that started going the wrong way towards the power lines and pinched the saw.  Put every rope chain and cable I had on it and the little come along I had couldn't bring it back over.  Ended up calling the power company and they sent a crew out that had it down in ten minutes.  First thing they did was to take the saw off of the bar so the tree wouldn't smash it if it came down wrong.  If you can get that off it might save you from buying the rental place a new saw.
View Quote

My exact thought, save the saw.

We need video.
Link Posted: 4/19/2021 3:13:56 AM EDT
[#12]
It's on your saw because you didn't use a plastic wedge. As soon as you cut deep enough you need to drive a wedge into the cut with a sledge. That's also how you get it to fall the right direction. It doesn't just fall the direction you cut the wedge from.

Call the pros. I lost somebody close to me on a felling job 2 years ago.
Link Posted: 4/19/2021 6:16:38 AM EDT
[#13]
The pros won't hate you.  They are going to love you, because they get to charge you more money than if you had just called them to start with.
Link Posted: 4/19/2021 12:44:48 PM EDT
[#14]
Update OP?
Link Posted: 4/28/2021 11:57:21 AM EDT
[#15]
"All's well that ends well."

I called a pro that I had worked with before.  He couldn't make it out for a week!  (Neither could two other pros I called.  ;-/ ) Meanwhile, a big windstorm is forecast (wind from the desired direction, fortunately...)   He advised strapping the forks together until he could come.  

The straps worked--the windstorm took the tree down, and the forks both went where we wanted them.  Luck and the straps saved us.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top