Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/31/2021 10:32:04 PM EDT
Been thinking about getting one for when its raining or below 10 degrees, or too much snow on the ground. Its not gonna get heavy usage but want something I can run on. Any suggestions? Looks like in stock units are slim pickens too. Under 2k
Link Posted: 1/31/2021 10:47:15 PM EDT
[#1]
Look around for used commercial grade.

I just bought a Precor commercial elliptical today for $600. Equivalent current model new today would be ~$5k. Found it on FB marketplace. Single woman was moving out of state to a smaller home and couldn't keep it. She bought it new years ago. Thing looks brand new.

Also a lot of fitness equipment stores sell used commercial stuff. A lot of gyms have closed and they have been buying up their equipment. I checked a few out when looking for a good elliptical and they had some that I was getting close to buying before I found this one.

Used commercial doesn't seem to move as fast, I think because people are thinking "why would I pay $1,500 for a used one when I can get a new one at the sporting goods store for $400," not understanding that the cheap $400 one is junk and the commercial one will outlive them, with only one person using it.
Link Posted: 1/31/2021 10:59:56 PM EDT
[#2]
Congrats on the good deal. Been watching a bit on the local craigslist/offer up. Only seen complete trash for a few hundred or 20 year old treadmills they want 1500 for. I think you just need to watch daily.
Link Posted: 1/31/2021 11:34:54 PM EDT
[#3]
Too bad you said under $2k, because the curved treadmills like the Assault Runner will get you 2X the workout in 60% of the time (these are purely made up numbers by me, but feel correct). I experienced it before I thought about why it was.  The answer is because every step you take pushes an 80lb belt, and while gravity helps on the down step it still requires force/work.  You don't "feel" that work until after the workout is over, at which point you are WRECKED.  

I would choose a Woodway ($15K) over the Assault, but otherwise, it's the best treadmill workout I've experienced.

(I used to sell treadmills when I worked at a sporting goods store in high school and college, so I know a little more about treadmills than your average Joe, but then again that's been a while ago and technology has changed).
Link Posted: 1/31/2021 11:38:19 PM EDT
[#4]
When I was recovering from a pulmonary embolism, I seriously considered buying a treadmill (went with a bike instead) and my research led me to Sole, and for my particulars, the Sole F85.  

Not cheap, but you get what you pay for.  And within your budget, not to mention you could probably get away with one of their less expensive models.  I need the higher capacity models.

Sole F85

Link Posted: 1/31/2021 11:39:15 PM EDT
[#5]
If you do buy a used one make them fire it up and get on it. Went to buy one and it fired up but as soon as I stood on the belt it stopped. Sale canceled.
Link Posted: 1/31/2021 11:42:38 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
When I was recovering from a pulmonary embolism, I seriously considered buying a treadmill (went with a bike instead) and my research led me to Sole, and for my particulars, the Sole F85.  

Not cheap, but you get what you pay for.

Sole F85

View Quote

I was looking at the sole f80. Seemed to check a bunch of boxes. I think the 85 is a a few hundred more with a few extra features, maybe a bigger motor. Both looked good.
Link Posted: 1/31/2021 11:45:17 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I was looking at the sole f80. Seemed to check a bunch of boxes. I think the 85 is a a few hundred more with a few extra features, maybe a bigger motor. Both looked good.
View Quote
There's a guy who posts here a lot who works on fitness equipment.  Hopefully he'll post in this thread.  A google search for ar15.com treadmill will get you some prior threads with good information.
Link Posted: 2/1/2021 12:28:30 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
A google search for ar15.com treadmill will get you some prior threads with good information.
View Quote

As long as the word "airplane" is not in there.  ;)
Link Posted: 2/1/2021 1:39:06 AM EDT
[#9]
The Sole F80 was the one that failed when I got on it.
Link Posted: 2/1/2021 11:11:25 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote

Absolutely this. Landice. Sole. Precor.

Stay away from anything that folds if you can - this just adds something else that can break. Foldable treadmills are also usually lighter than non-folding ones, which translates to it not being as stable and less able to absorb the impact of a person running on it. To quote Boris the Bullet-Dodger, "Heavy is good. Heavy is reliable."

If you end up putting this thing in a place with carpet get yourself a pad to put under it. It'll add to the stability some, but more importantly it will help prevent carpet fibers from getting in/around the motor and causing issues.

Lastly, you don't need a fancy control panel or screen. Get yourself a base unit and with the savings you can always get a cheap tablet that's much larger to run Zwift or or whatever streaming platform you want on it.
Link Posted: 2/1/2021 12:21:18 PM EDT
[#11]
Used commercial is the way to go.

We have a Nordic track C950i. It's not commercial. Supposed to be rated for 350#, but my 275# cracked the deck last year and I had to replace it. Got it used for cheap and in great shape, but the deck is 3/4" MDF with the phenolic coating on both sides. I figured out a way to put a second piece of 3/4" plywood underneath for more support, so now it's the equivalent of a 1.5" deck.

If I had to do it over, I'd tell the wife we need a 1" deck and 4CHP, at minimum.
Link Posted: 2/1/2021 2:20:59 PM EDT
[#12]
Thanks everyone. Gonna keep an eye out for a used commercial. Its going on a concrete floor, in an unfinished basement.  I will probably put some rubber mats down around it as a work out area and maybe a bench, etc. I dont need the fancy stuff, just sturdy/reliable. I'm under 200lbs and we'll probably hook up a TV via roku or maybe a tablet. Not sure yet.
Link Posted: 2/1/2021 2:39:40 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Thanks everyone. Gonna keep an eye out for a used commercial. Its going on a concrete floor, in an unfinished basement.  I will probably put some rubber mats down around it as a work out area and maybe a bench, etc. I dont need the fancy stuff, just sturdy/reliable. I'm under 200lbs and we'll probably hook up a TV via roku or maybe a tablet. Not sure yet.
View Quote

Used stuff online seems to be pretty expensive. At least in my area, the local places were cheaper.

See if there are any places that are local-ish to you that sell used stuff that you can visit and talk to in person. They'll probably be more willing to help you out/hold something in reserve for you if something comes in.

I had my name & number on a list with a couple places around Houston to call me if they got anything interesting.

If you live in a neighborhood and have FB, see if there is a neighborhood FB page. I've seen people put fitness stuff out on their curb and post to the neighborhood page "free, first come first served"
Link Posted: 2/1/2021 4:11:09 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I just bought a Precor commercial elliptical today for $600. Equivalent current model new today would be ~$5k. Found it on FB marketplace. Single woman was moving out of state to a smaller home and couldn't keep it. She bought it new years ago. Thing looks brand new.

Also a lot of fitness equipment stores sell used commercial stuff. A lot of gyms have closed and they have been buying up their equipment. I checked a few out when looking for a good elliptical and they had some that I was getting close to buying before I found this one.

Used commercial doesn't seem to move as fast, I think because people are thinking "why would I pay $1,500 for a used one when I can get a new one at the sporting goods store for $400," not understanding that the cheap $400 one is junk and the commercial one will outlive them, with only one person using it.
View Quote

I run a small business repairing fitness equipment.

Commercial grade or bust. Seriously not even worth it for a home use treadmill.
Link Posted: 2/1/2021 4:11:45 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Not cheap, but you get what you pay for.  And within your budget, not to mention you could probably get away with one of their less expensive models.  I need the higher capacity models.

Sole F85

View Quote

Sole is a good company.
Link Posted: 2/1/2021 4:43:34 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Used stuff online seems to be pretty expensive. At least in my area, the local places were cheaper.

See if there are any places that are local-ish to you that sell used stuff that you can visit and talk to in person. They'll probably be more willing to help you out/hold something in reserve for you if something comes in.

I had my name & number on a list with a couple places around Houston to call me if they got anything interesting.

If you live in a neighborhood and have FB, see if there is a neighborhood FB page. I've seen people put fitness stuff out on their curb and post to the neighborhood page "free, first come first served"
View Quote

You can check FB marketplace and Craigslist, but the best is to watch local bankruptcies for gyms needing to unload commercial gear and then get it professionally serviced/refurbed.  There is no single place on the internet to do this, it takes searching and often legwork.  For commercial treadmills, elipticals, bikes, and rowers, search/watch for women owned/focused fitness places - there are LOTS of them, and they seem to have a much shorter business life than "gyms" despite getting preferable loans (which helped them buy higher end equipment in the first place).
Link Posted: 2/1/2021 8:10:31 PM EDT
[#17]
Just upgraded from a F80 to a Tread+ totally worth it

Attachment Attached File

excuse the floor, haven't put baseboards back up in that room yet
Link Posted: 2/10/2021 6:58:27 PM EDT
[#18]
Don’t know if you found anything yet. I have a Landice L7 which is a commercial grade treadmill. 4K new about 7 years ago. Look for one because they are bullet proof. You get what you pay for.
Link Posted: 2/10/2021 7:06:10 PM EDT
[#19]
Haven't landed on anything yet. Nothings in stock and shipping seems to be 30-60 days at least, which by that time will be spring and open trails. Im still looking but as time goes by, I may need to look for other options like snowshoes to get out on the trails.
Link Posted: 2/11/2021 11:53:19 PM EDT
[#20]
I bought a Commercial 1750 thru NordicTrack’s website back in 2016.  Typically run 3-4 5Ks a week and added HIIT training a couple years back.  Logged roughly 4,000 trouble free miles with recommended maintenance. Very happy with this purchase and would do it again.

It’s pricey (I bought the previous year model at discount) but they are shipping next week.

https://www.nordictrack.com/treadmills/commercial-1750-treadmill
Link Posted: 2/12/2021 6:51:23 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Been thinking about getting one for when its raining or below 10 degrees, or too much snow on the ground. Its not gonna get heavy usage but want something I can run on. Any suggestions? Looks like in stock units are slim pickens too. Under 2k
View Quote

Just a contrary thought here - if the treadmill is only going to get light use, I assume that means you're running outside most of the year.

Have you considered getting some other kind of endurance machine to complement running?  Bike, rower, XC ski machine?  Probably long waits for most of those too. C2 just extended my wait time from 6 to 7 weeks

Link Posted: 2/12/2021 10:30:12 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Just a contrary thought here - if the treadmill is only going to get light use, I assume that means you're running outside most of the year.

Have you considered getting some other kind of endurance machine to complement running?  Bike, rower, XC ski machine?  Probably long waits for most of those too. C2 just extended my wait time from 6 to 7 weeks

View Quote
Which C2 product are you getting?

I was one of the first people to get on the wait list for the bikeerg and I still had to wait almost 8 weeks.  On wait list on April 1st, received bike on May 26, but couldn't use it until May 28th, because it came with two defective bolts.  Living up to their reputation for customer service, they overnighted new bolts and threw in a cell phone cradle.

I love the bikeerg!  I've run hot and cold on usage, mostly due to periodic illnesses and injuries, but I got my 1,000,000 meter certificate a couple of weeks ago.
Link Posted: 2/12/2021 3:22:35 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Which C2 product are you getting?

I was one of the first people to get on the wait list for the bikeerg and I still had to wait almost 8 weeks.  On wait list on April 1st, received bike on May 26, but couldn't use it until May 28th, because it came with two defective bolts.  Living up to their reputation for customer service, they overnighted new bolts and threw in a cell phone cradle.

I love the bikeerg!  I've run hot and cold on usage, mostly due to periodic illnesses and injuries, but I got my 1,000,000 meter certificate a couple of weeks ago.
View Quote

Model D - the baseline rowing erg.  I live in southern VA, so I can run probably 355 days/year if I don't mind getting hot/cold/wet.  I have bicycles, a fluid trainer, and rollers.  

I put myself on the wait list on 18 Jan with a projected availability to order being 5 March.  Yesterday's update said to expect to be able to order on 12 March
Link Posted: 2/13/2021 1:45:11 AM EDT
[#24]
amazon get the c2 in on a regular basis.
Link Posted: 2/13/2021 2:57:20 AM EDT
[#25]
My Sole has been very good.
Link Posted: 2/13/2021 1:00:27 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
amazon get the c2 in on a regular basis.
View Quote

I have some trust issues with Amazon for high dollar stuff, but I did look.  Going prices are $1300-$1400 (vs $900 plus shipping ordered direct from manufacturer) and expected delivery dates around 1 March.  

Marathon not a sprint so I can wait.
Link Posted: 2/14/2021 9:25:17 PM EDT
[#27]
trueform runner
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top