Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/1/2022 8:53:35 AM EDT
Getting ready for a move from CT to SC and I am trying to figure out the best way to move a "decent quantity" of ammunition.  Movers won't take it, so unless I want to sell it in CT and re-buy when I get down to SC, my only other option is to self-transport.  That said...

What are my legal risks/restrictions (if any) transporting ammunition only (no guns, mags etc.) across state lines generally and also through restrictive states like NY, NJ and MD?  Most of the info I've seen online focuses on transporting firearms, or firearms AND ammunition, but not ammunition only.
Link Posted: 3/1/2022 8:58:38 AM EDT
[#1]
You have no choice, sell it all to me, you can't take it with you! Just kidding.

I am not a legal guy, I don't think there any restrictions for moving a few thousands rounds down south.
Link Posted: 3/1/2022 9:17:12 AM EDT
[#2]
Get one of these and good lock for the door.
Attachment Attached File

It's not too big, the trailer will be full of stuff the movers won't take and two axle trailers are always better then one.
Link Posted: 3/1/2022 9:49:30 AM EDT
[#3]
Ive done it a couple of times. Its just heavy.
U-haul it or personal truck no big deal.
Link Posted: 3/1/2022 10:02:32 AM EDT
[#4]
Or, pack it in boxes or crates and let the movers take it. They don’t need to know what is in your boxes.
Link Posted: 3/1/2022 10:31:39 AM EDT
[#5]
I moved all my guns and ammo from CT to TN in 2020.  I made two trips, one in the car and the second in a Penske truck (my Penske experience was far better than Uhaul).  Drive strait thru, follow the speed limit and don't stop in NY or NJ for any reason.
My wife who is notorious for needing to stop was not allowed any coffee or liquids that morning ??.  Even hollow point bullets are illegal in NJ.  I did breath a sigh of relief once I crossed the PA border and it was nothing but free states from there on.  Good luck and welcome to the Free World!
Link Posted: 3/1/2022 11:05:08 AM EDT
[#6]
Federal laws allow transport of <100K rds of ammo with no restrictions and no placarding.

It pack it so that it is buried under lots of other personal stuff, not stop anywhere in NY/NJ for any reason, obey speed limits (verify all signals/lights work) and not worry about it.
Link Posted: 3/1/2022 11:07:45 AM EDT
[#7]
Wow!! That is a question I have NEVER had to ask.    I just load up and go.    Then again that's why I stay out of the North East and CA.
Link Posted: 3/1/2022 11:34:08 AM EDT
[#8]
I've transported just under 100k rounds on multiple occasions. Never got pulled over so never had any issues.
Link Posted: 3/1/2022 11:39:46 AM EDT
[#9]
Just load and go.
Link Posted: 3/1/2022 11:52:40 AM EDT
[#10]
Thanks for the info everyone!!!
Link Posted: 3/1/2022 11:57:07 AM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Ive done it a couple of times. Its just heavy.
U-haul it or personal truck no big deal.
View Quote

This, just watch the balance. Ammo gets heavy.
Link Posted: 3/1/2022 10:40:19 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Or, pack it in boxes or crates and let the movers take it. They don’t need to know what is in your boxes.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Mark the boxes "library books"...

That said, if damage occurs you may have some pushback getting them to pay out on a claim for items they won't move.

Quoted:
Federal laws allow transport of <100K rds of ammo with no restrictions and no placarding.

It doesn't take much .22 to break that...I may have unknowingly broken that law several years ago, before I sold my .22 stockpile off at a ridiculous profit (post Sandyhook ammo craze).
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top