Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/6/2022 3:57:53 PM EDT
So I have an 08 Taurus that is my daily driver. It has 158k on it I’ve owned it since it had 70k on it. As far as I know it’s never had a transmission service should I get it done? I have heard that it bad to do it with so many mikes on it? Any truth to that? It’s been a great car and I would like to get a few more milesout of it
Link Posted: 10/6/2022 4:25:40 PM EDT
[#1]
I had to get a transmission replaced last year in a new-to-me car that was very clean and very well-cared for--except for its transmission which had never been serviced. The transmission shop told me the best way to never see them again is change transmission fluid every 50K miles.
Link Posted: 10/6/2022 4:51:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Drain and fill. Don't do a flush...

I'm sure some actual mechanics will show up to explain why...
Link Posted: 10/6/2022 5:57:31 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Drain and fill. Don't do a flush...

I'm sure some actual mechanics will show up to explain why...
View Quote

This seems to be overwhelmingly the advice you'll get. Too many stories of people thinking "this transmission has been great, maybe to keep it great I'll get it flushed" only to have it go to shit immediately after.
Link Posted: 10/6/2022 6:42:21 PM EDT
[#4]
Depends on how it is flushed.  Chemicals...don't do it.  Straight swap...fluid for fluid...good to go.

Nothing wrong with a straight filter/fluid change out either.  You just don't get all of the old fluid out.
Link Posted: 10/6/2022 7:54:44 PM EDT
[#5]
One of the machines we used removed fluid in the pan through the dipstick tube then pumped in a little more than what was removed. We usually programed it to do it 3-4 times or until the fluid appeared clean. Was a waste of several gallons of fluid but in the end the tranny had clean new fluid. We would change the filter if possible. In the end doubt this procedure would cause a tranny to go bad.

Those trannies aren't known for their durability, 150k it's on borrowed time. Drive it easy.
Link Posted: 10/6/2022 8:31:07 PM EDT
[#6]
This video explains pros and cons of change Vs flush pretty well.
Can Changing your Transmission Fluid Cause Damage?
Link Posted: 10/7/2022 9:53:47 AM EDT
[#7]
All these threads are the same, people regurgitate what grand pappy told them about automagic transmission sorcery.

I've flushed or worked in/ran shops with many thousands of flushes performed.

Exactly 2 have had problems immediately after all of those services, who's know if they were slipping before hand.
Link Posted: 10/7/2022 10:37:39 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
All these threads are the same, people regurgitate what grand pappy told them about automagic transmission sorcery.

Exactly 2 have had problems immediately after all of those services, who's know if they were slipping before hand.
View Quote

Happened to me. Olds with 100K that I bought new. Lockup in torque converter went out on way home as soon as I was at speed for it to try to lock up after flush. Car would shudder really bad whenever it tried to lockup.
They tried some additive, it helped for a couple days. Had to replace torque converter, $900.
No it did not have a problem prior.
Link Posted: 10/7/2022 11:29:58 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Happened to me. Olds with 100K that I bought new. Lockup in torque converter went out on way home as soon as I was at speed for it to try to lock up after flush. Car would shudder really bad whenever it tried to lockup.
They tried some additive, it helped for a couple days. Had to replace torque converter, $900.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lock up in a converter usually has liken 2 o rings 1 valve that make it work. New oil was probably thinner than the old and slipped by the old worn out seals.
Link Posted: 10/7/2022 11:46:25 AM EDT
[#10]
Do whatever you feel is right.

Seriously.

You will have folks appear swearing that a flush destroyed their transmission. Others will swear that's impossible, there was already damage. Yet others will say that you should never change the fluid after 100,000 miles. More will chime in with their voodoo snake oil tricks that will make it last forever.

I have yet to find a consensus among the internet mechanics. Or the local mechanics for that matter. f

My two cents? If it's a new vehicle, follow the maintenance schedule as written. If it's used and you have no history, drain and refill the pan every few oil changes.

I am not a mechanic nor am I a lawyer, this is not legal nor mechanical advice.
Link Posted: 10/7/2022 12:26:57 PM EDT
[#11]
Your transmission fluid is now filled with the dust scraped off the clutch linings in your transmission - yes automatic transmissions have lots of small clutch disks that are applied and released via hydraulics in order to shift gears. If you change your fluid now the new fluid will be much more slippery than the old fluid filled with the clutch linings dust; and it is very possible that the clutches will start to slip because of the new, slippery fluid. SO don't change the fluid now, wait another 50K or so and your transmission will need to be replaced. Or you can start changing fluid now, and need a new transmission in 5K-10K miles.
You need to change the transmission fluid every 50K miles to have it last for 300K, even on the "sealed" automatic transmissions that the maker says never need the fluid changed.
Link Posted: 10/7/2022 12:40:09 PM EDT
[#12]
If it has an AX0D transmission, just sell it while it is still rolling and find something else. Worst pie ce of shit Ford ever released. I could have gotten another decent ride for the cash I threw into that fucking trans.
Link Posted: 10/8/2022 1:42:13 AM EDT
[#13]
As long as I liked the vehicle enough to try and drive it until the wheels fell off, I would change it to get it on a schedule.  I wouldn't flush it.  Just drop the pan, change the filter and fluid, and clean out the pan.  Do that now, and at 175,00 and every 25,000 after that.  After two or three of the 25,000 mile changes, the filter and fluid will remain pretty clean looking, and you can back it off to 50,000 or longer intervals.

It was new, but I have a 97 Blazer I changed the fluid at 50,000, then every 25,000 until the filter and fluid looked new and there was virtually no silt in the pan.  I think I have changed it a couple more times at somewhere near the 200,000 and 300,000 marks, but I actually considered them a waste of time because the filter and fluid still looked new.  I am pushing close to 450,000 miles on the original transmission.

I have started the same routine on my 2000 F-150 that I acquired with 100,000 miles in 2006.  But I don't drive it enough to have realized the same longevity.  When the Blazer gives it up, I will switch to the F-150 and drive it until the wheels fall off.  Or at least until the body holds out.  This one spent some time in a salty environment so it has quite a bit more corrosion than the Blazer.

Link Posted: 10/11/2022 3:37:32 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 10/12/2022 8:53:39 AM EDT
[#15]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top