Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/23/2019 11:34:19 AM EDT
So i have had good success doing keto, 208 down to 185. (5’9”)The wife finally started as well and has dropped an amazing amount of baby weight and is sold on keto.
I have been doing this in conjunction with 5/3/1 and my lifts are doing ok, just some workout are lacking due to little energy. ( this may be because i have to lift at 0500 in the AM or i don’t have time)

I now want to concentrate more on adding weight to my lifts and adding muscle. In addition to 5/3/1 i am adding another program to help my bench # which sucks but I am working on it. I am looking at adding carbs before and after my workout and upping my protein intake throughout the day, while not adding the extra fats like i did while on keto.  Diet would still consist of meats, green veggies, just not the extra fats i added before.

When wake up i typically do a preworkout w creatine. After i workout it’s a protein shake with creatine. Then the plan is meats and good veggies throughout the day.
I was thinking a bagel with cream cheese or peanut butter before the workout and something similar after? Good idea or no?

And when should I eat the carb “meal” after the workout? Before or after the protein shake?

Anybody ever do this after  Keto? Am i missing anything? Am i an idiot in my thinking?

Any advise or criticism is welcome! And thank you for your time

Lookinup
Link Posted: 6/23/2019 12:16:46 PM EDT
[#1]
If you are going to add carbs back into your diet do not eat them with fat. Also the best time to re load on carbs is in the evening as you will be going to bed and the crash will not affect you.

Ketosis: When to Eat Carbs- Ketogenic Diet | Thomas DeLauer

Carb Backloading: Ketosis Carb Loading Strategy

Best Time for Carbs | Carb Timing | How I Time My Carbs for Fat Loss (2018)

Carb Timing on a Keto Diet: When to Eat Carbohydrates
Link Posted: 6/23/2019 12:31:21 PM EDT
[#2]
I've been advised that the best approach is as simple as carbs before a workout, protein after a workout.

Without bothering to explore the finer nuances,  that basic idea is simple and makes sense.  Carbs fuel your workout, protein fuels muscle growth afterwards.
Link Posted: 6/23/2019 1:11:42 PM EDT
[#3]
Looks like I got some YouTube to watch lol, I did watch that first video last week and that got me started down this path.

@mirrormirror

Thanks, that makes sense to me

Lookinup
Link Posted: 6/23/2019 2:32:53 PM EDT
[#4]
You'll need to make sure you are in a caloric surplus, even if a very small one, to gain any weight.

You could add carbs and continue to lose weight if your calorie level isn't correct for your goals.
Link Posted: 6/24/2019 8:56:42 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You'll need to make sure you are in a caloric surplus, even if a very small one, to gain any weight.

You could add carbs and continue to lose weight if your calorie level isn't correct for your goals.
View Quote
Thanks,
just got to figure out whats gonna work for me without gaining too much "bad" weight while gaining muscle.

LOOKINUP
Link Posted: 6/27/2019 10:45:33 AM EDT
[#6]
Check out Targeted or Cyclical Keto.  These are variations where you remain in ketosis for most of the week but you add in carbs either around your workout (targeted) or in a single once a week refeed (Cyclical).

You could do a single day each week where you switch from high fat no carb to high carb/protein/very low fat.

It's also worthwhile playing around with targeted either before or after workouts.  Currently I'm eating 100grams complex carbs with protein and no fat as my first large meal after a workout 2x a week while remaining keto the rest of the week.  It seems to be beneficial so far.
Link Posted: 6/27/2019 12:24:16 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Check out Targeted or Cyclical Keto.  These are variations where you remain in ketosis for most of the week but you add in carbs either around your workout (targeted) or in a single once a week refeed (Cyclical).

You could do a single day each week where you switch from high fat no carb to high carb/protein/very low fat.

It's also worthwhile playing around with targeted either before or after workouts.  Currently I'm eating 100grams complex carbs with protein and no fat as my first large meal after a workout 2x a week while remaining keto the rest of the week.  It seems to be beneficial so far.
View Quote
Thanks, this is good stuff.

So right now I am going to add most of my carbs right after I work out (a bagel with cream cheese) followed by a protein shake with creatine. Then the rest of the day it will be Keto foods. Depending on the results I may add more carbs based on my workouts.

Thanks all

Lookinup
Link Posted: 6/28/2019 12:48:56 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Thanks, this is good stuff.

So right now I am going to add most of my carbs right after I work out (a bagel with cream cheese) followed by a protein shake with creatine. Then the rest of the day it will be Keto foods. Depending on the results I may add more carbs based on my workouts.

Thanks all

Lookinup
View Quote
Fat slows your body’s ability to absorb carbs, so save the cream cheese for other meals.
Link Posted: 6/29/2019 9:33:51 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Fat slows your body’s ability to absorb carbs, so save the cream cheese for other meals.
View Quote
Ah yes, good idea, I will adjust that, thank you

And thank you all for the suggestions.
I know it’s just been a few days but I’ve been feeling better during and after my workouts.

Lookinup
Link Posted: 6/29/2019 10:22:36 AM EDT
[#10]
Fat and carbs do not mix.

For the past 28 days ALL my carbs have come in the form of either sweet potatoes, oats, or quinoa. Low fat diet that all my fats have come from whatever is in the fish, chicken or beef.

I feel absolutely amazing since cutting out dairy and high GI carbs.
Link Posted: 6/29/2019 7:16:45 PM EDT
[#11]
I would highly recommend Renaissance Diet 2.0

They have an extensive video playlist that has an overview of each chapter

It will tell you everything you need to know about dieting.

But yes, eating carbs before, sometimes during, and after your training is a very good idea. You do not want to consume very many fats in the meals around your workouts (unless your preworkout meal is a few hours before your session), as fat slows the absorption of nutrients. You want those nutrients fast to refuel your glycogen stores. Look for carbs that have a high glycemic index (more processed), as those are also absorbed faster than low glycemic index carbs.
Link Posted: 6/29/2019 10:32:41 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I would highly recommend Renaissance Diet 2.0

They have an extensive video playlist that has an overview of each chapter

It will tell you everything you need to know about dieting.

But yes, eating carbs before, sometimes during, and after your training is a very good idea. You do not want to consume very many fats in the meals around your workouts (unless your preworkout meal is a few hours before your session), as fat slows the absorption of nutrients. You want those nutrients fast to refuel your glycogen stores. Look for carbs that have a high glycemic index (more processed), as those are also absorbed faster than low glycemic index carbs.
View Quote
Processed as in?
Link Posted: 6/30/2019 12:35:09 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Processed as in?
View Quote
Such as the flour used in white bread is more processed and has a higher glycemic index than whole grain, and fruit juice has a higher index than the whole fruit.

And in this instance, I'm just talking about in reference to fueling workouts. Outside of training, lower glycemic carbs such as whole grains, and whole vegetables / fruits would be better.
Link Posted: 6/30/2019 8:25:00 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Such as the flour used in white bread is more processed and has a higher glycemic index than whole grain, and fruit juice has a higher index than the whole fruit.

And in this instance, I'm just talking about in reference to fueling workouts. Outside of training, lower glycemic carbs such as whole grains, and whole vegetables / fruits would be better.
View Quote
Gotcha.

I would do my absolute best to stay away from the processed flours and grains and stick with the higher glycemic fruits. A banana or hell even watermelon is stupid high but is the natural sugars. Honey is an excellent high glycemic sugar but the body processes it much easier than the bread/flour.

Reducing insulin sensitivity is key in not becoming a fat ass.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top