Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/23/2022 10:01:11 AM EDT
Does anyone here do this?  I bought a dual sport bike earlier this year, but the places I'd like to ride are 2+ hours out with a ton of heavy traffic (Atlanta perimeter) blocking my way.  No chance I'm going to ride that on the motorcycle, so I'm looking at small trailers to tow behind my sedan.

I've found a few dedicated MC trailers that look great, albeit a bit expensive for a single use item (2K+).  I'm thinking more along the lines of a small trailer that can also be used for extra cargo or whatnot, maybe even one of those that folds up for storage?

Anyhow, any thoughts on the matter from those with experience?  

BTW, I'm going to have to add a hitch to my car.  They are limited to 200lbs tongue weight and supposedly 2K overall tow weight.  I don't see this as an issue, just thought I'd add the info in case it's more important than I think!
Link Posted: 9/23/2022 11:25:53 AM EDT
[#1]
As long as your motorcycle is shorter than 8 foot long it will fit just fine on those light fold up trailers. One thing to watch is some of the trailers only have around a 1,100-1,200 pound capacity.

That being said, you should be fine with the weight of a rule sport bike. I would not try to haul a full sized Turing bike on one of these types of trailers. Turing bikes can be around 800 to 1,000 pounds just by themselves.

With any utility trailer, you will need a ramp to get the bike on and off so take that into consideration too. I have hauled smaller cruisers and street bikes on a 4x8 utility trailer just fine in the past.
Link Posted: 9/23/2022 11:44:53 AM EDT
[#2]
A friends parents towed 2 BMW motorcycles behind a Subaru. They were happy to spend money when needed, so I’m guessing the trailer was a few dollars.
Link Posted: 9/23/2022 11:47:56 AM EDT
[#3]
What car are you pulling with? I haven't pulled a trailer with a car, but years ago I pulled a 4x8 trailer with a quad on it with a 96 Tacoma 4cyl 5spd. It did fine, just slow.

I would also consider the utility trailer, could be handy to have. Mount a wheel chock to it and it will be good. I regularly haul 4-5 dirt bikes on a utility trailer, only lost one once when a strap let go.

Around Arizona you can pick up a used motorcycle trailer for about $1k, utility trailer $1.5k.
Link Posted: 9/23/2022 12:09:55 PM EDT
[#4]
After you get thru playing around or if you just want to buy once cry once buy a Kendon.  

Get the Ride up version.  

You can find them used for $1500 or so.
Link Posted: 9/23/2022 12:12:49 PM EDT
[#5]
You dont even need a trailer.

I have a bike carrier type that goes in a hitch. Holds 400 lbs.

Link Posted: 9/23/2022 12:22:49 PM EDT
[#6]
i used a harbor freight trailer to haul my DS up the Alcan highway in march 2008. Worked good. i think i had a 4x6 trailer, just slapped a couple tie down points, perimiter of 2x4 that i bolted some plywood to. put the front wheel on the tongue so i could maximize my length. I had a Dl650, 10 gallons of gas, and some tie downs. it wasnt bad at all. I towed with a 1.8L impreza wagon, MT.
Link Posted: 9/23/2022 12:26:10 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote
That will not be safe on a sedan due to tongue weight limitations.
Link Posted: 9/23/2022 12:34:34 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 9/23/2022 12:44:17 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
That will not be safe on a sedan due to tongue weight limitations.
View Quote

Get a front wheel cradle instead of lifting the whole bike onto the car?
MissingImage
Failed To Load Product Data

Link Posted: 9/23/2022 12:46:51 PM EDT
[#10]
Neighbor use to tow his MC with a Hyundai Elantra standard shift.
Link Posted: 9/23/2022 12:49:24 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Get a front wheel cradle instead of lifting the whole bike onto the car?
www.amazon.com/dp/B0892B7YY7
View Quote
I think you'd have to take the chain off to use that otherwise it could end like this
Link Posted: 9/23/2022 1:15:19 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
What car are you pulling with? I haven't pulled a trailer with a car, but years ago I pulled a 4x8 trailer with a quad on it with a 96 Tacoma 4cyl 5spd. It did fine, just slow.

I would also consider the utility trailer, could be handy to have. Mount a wheel chock to it and it will be good. I regularly haul 4-5 dirt bikes on a utility trailer, only lost one once when a strap let go.

Around Arizona you can pick up a used motorcycle trailer for about $1k, utility trailer $1.5k.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Mazda 3 sedan, 2.5l automatic.  It's got enough power to do the job, I'm more worried about the hitch / tongue weight than anything else.

Quoted:
After you get thru playing around or if you just want to buy once cry once buy a Kendon.  

Get the Ride up version.  

You can find them used for $1500 or so.

Do you own one of these?  They look really solid and seem to get good reviews.  I'll definitely add it to the list!

Link Posted: 9/23/2022 1:24:49 PM EDT
[#13]
Depending on how often you plan on trailering out to ride, you may just rent one.  They're like $15 a day from uhaul.
Link Posted: 9/23/2022 1:36:44 PM EDT
[#14]
Have friends that have a variety of trailers for bikes, including Kendon. I have a large utility trailer that I use with chocks for when I occasionally trailer my sidecar rig to other states. I also use it for various farm duty and have used it to rescue transport bikes of others, but it is heavy and wider than my truck. I like the flexibility because I rarely use it for the sidecar or motorcycles. Use to use it to transport 4 wheelers as well.

I don’t think a Kendon is a great choice if you are planning on using it off-road to get to wilderness areas. If that is your goal vs just on road duty, think light weight and taller height. If on road duty, keep with lighter weight unless you will use the flexibility of a utility trailer. If you ride with friends who also don’t like riding the city gauntlet, get something with room for two bikes. A sedan can easily tow 2 DS bikes. Then, broaden your horizons on where you  and a buddy should go ride.
Link Posted: 9/23/2022 1:43:13 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I think you'd have to take the chain off to use that otherwise it could end like this
View Quote

I've never heard of anybody having a problem towing a bike in neutral.
But if the chain broke or came off the sprockets...
Link Posted: 9/23/2022 1:59:59 PM EDT
[#16]
I used to have an ACE, I really liked it. Sold it to a ex-gf's dad back when she wasnt an ex. Thought I would get to keep using it LOL

https://theusatrailerstore.com/ace-single-motorcycle-trailer/

Link Posted: 9/23/2022 2:27:44 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I've never heard of anybody having a problem towing a bike in neutral.
But if the chain broke or came off the sprockets...
View Quote
Even the weight of the shifter itself could shift it going over a pothole or bump. Stick or tire chunk in the road flies up and hits it. I'm sure people do it but too risky for me.
Link Posted: 9/23/2022 2:55:27 PM EDT
[#18]
[b]
Do you own one of these?  They look really solid and seem to get good reviews.  I'll definitely add it to the list!

View Quote

I currently have one just like pictured, except is was a stand up converted to ride up.    I've owned two other Kendon doubles as well.    You don't need the ride up with a light bike but it sure comes in handy with something like a large BMW, Goldwing or Harley
Link Posted: 9/24/2022 9:54:45 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Have friends that have a variety of trailers for bikes, including Kendon. I have a large utility trailer that I use with chocks for when I occasionally trailer my sidecar rig to other states. I also use it for various farm duty and have used it to rescue transport bikes of others, but it is heavy and wider than my truck. I like the flexibility because I rarely use it for the sidecar or motorcycles. Use to use it to transport 4 wheelers as well.

I don’t think a Kendon is a great choice if you are planning on using it off-road to get to wilderness areas. If that is your goal vs just on road duty, think light weight and taller height. If on road duty, keep with lighter weight unless you will use the flexibility of a utility trailer. If you ride with friends who also don’t like riding the city gauntlet, get something with room for two bikes. A sedan can easily tow 2 DS bikes. Then, broaden your horizons on where you  and a buddy should go ride.
View Quote

Some pretty good points there.  While I won't be driving my car through anything the Kendon trailer wouldn't like, I think I do prefer the idea of the utility trailer.  There are a couple of 4'x6' trailers around, and that ought to be just fine with a few additions like wheel chocks and tie-down points.  I don't currently have a riding buddy, but a couple of guys at my office are thinking about getting into it as well, so somewhere down the road...  That said, I live in a condo with a crowded garage, so storage is a bit of an issue.  I'm going to check in with some of the U-Haul rental places to see if they have MC trailers available.  If that's the case, I can take my time on this and make the decision later.

In any case, first step is getting the hitch.  I'm going to get that ordered up today and hopefully installed within the next week or two.
Link Posted: 9/24/2022 10:02:46 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote

Tongue weight of the vehicle/hitch is a factor as well.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top