Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/23/2022 6:19:23 PM EDT
Edit: just found out they do come apart but are weld on in such a way (opposed) that they cannot. Looks like I need to find a welder close by.
Attachment Attached File

Interesting hinge on this small utility trailer. Has a zerk fitting but looks like it cannot be taken apart. I want to change that as I need the gate to come-and-go.

Some searching online suggests to cut it off and replace with one which can be taken apart. I don't weld so I'd like to destroy this POS and just have a bolt in there to use as the innards.

Anyone have some advice on how to modify this type of hinge?

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/23/2022 6:29:17 PM EDT
[#1]
show a pic of both hinges
Link Posted: 5/23/2022 6:46:08 PM EDT
[#2]
You can use a cut off wheel on a hand grinder and remove it and weld it back on the way you want.
Link Posted: 5/23/2022 6:59:20 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You can use a cut off wheel on a hand grinder and remove it and weld it back on the way you want.
View Quote

Yes but since they are barrel hinges it could fall off... or maybe not as it would be up and locked when in use.
I am not at home, no additional pics of the other hinge.

I may go visit a local welder. Have them cut and flip on hinge.
Link Posted: 5/23/2022 8:05:35 PM EDT
[#4]
Given the grease zerks, I would guess that they are on correctly... otherwise, when you grease them, they would get pushed off.
Link Posted: 5/23/2022 9:11:44 PM EDT
[#5]
They aren't meant to be taken off.
Link Posted: 5/23/2022 9:12:53 PM EDT
[#6]
I have one with similar hinges and it will come off.
Link Posted: 5/23/2022 10:04:34 PM EDT
[#7]
I have a utility trailer that had the same hinge/ramp set up. I was able to remove the ramp and the hinge's came apart with a few raps with a 10# sledgehammer.

I have been kicking around putting it back together, or trying to at least. I have yet to give it a try though..
Link Posted: 5/23/2022 10:22:47 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
They aren't meant to be taken off.
View Quote

Mine is set up to be able to take the ramp off. My trailer is only 10’ long and I occasionally haul lumber that is longer than that.
Link Posted: 5/24/2022 11:38:51 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Yes but since they are barrel hinges it could fall off... or maybe not as it would be up and locked when in use.
I am not at home, no additional pics of the other hinge.

I may go visit a local welder. Have them cut and flip on hinge.
View Quote

Step 1: make sure the gate can slide a few inches to the side without hitting anything else when it'sdown but not slide to either side when up. If yes, you can make it come off, proceed to step 2. You want to have to put it down to slide sideways off the pins otherwise it could come off when traveling.
Step 2: Cut off 1 hinge from both the trailer and the ramp (leave the other hinge untouched).
Step 3: Flip hinge around and weld back on.

FWIW, I've used a friends trailer with the same hinges. The gate comes off by putting it down and sliding off the pins. It's a bugger to put back on, but it gets much better fuel economy without the gate.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top