Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Posted: 5/15/2021 9:38:05 PM EDT
What do you do?

How long does trade school for it take?

What is the job market like?

How much did you make starting?

Machinists, what sub sector has the most demand? Aviation? Petroleum?

Average age for your trade?

Thank you for the info.
Link Posted: 5/15/2021 9:43:05 PM EDT
[#1]
That is waaaaay too wide of a question

Can you work with your hands?

How old (generally) are you?

Do you have any experience in any field that you are interested in?

Link Posted: 5/15/2021 9:43:39 PM EDT
[#2]
By the sound of your username you might want to check out pest extermination
Link Posted: 5/15/2021 9:45:45 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote
or plumbing, I saw it in a couple movies on the internet.....
Link Posted: 5/15/2021 9:48:24 PM EDT
[#4]
I have a class A CDL and all my endorsements.  School was six weeks long.  Once you have two years of OTR experience, the world is your oyster.  I can and have rolled into a strange new town and had a job an hour later.  It's a weird lifestyle though.  I don't know how married guys with families do it.  $60k is easily doable if you have any work ethic at all.
Link Posted: 5/15/2021 9:51:00 PM EDT
[#5]
I'm a CAD Manager now, but I am a Machinist by trade.

My trade school was about 13 months.  

It is easy to get a Machinist job, but most of them are entry level.  The term Machinist can refer to anyone from a guy who just puts blocks of metal into a CNC and takes out the finished parts, to someone who is a Mechanical Engineer in knowledge and job tasks but not paid like one.

I've heard many people suggest work somewhere for a while, then job hop.  That is the best way to advance into new roles.

I started at $16 an hour, got up to 21.  Many places have low pay but expect you to do lots of overtime.

I don't know what sector has the most demand.  But if you learn mold making or tool and die I believe you will be set.  

Most Machinists seem to be old.  Less young people want to do the work.

As they say, "Be a Machinist, make rocket parts at grave diggers pay."
Link Posted: 5/15/2021 9:52:58 PM EDT
[#6]
Plumber.

Too lazy to answer formated questions. If you're willing to work, have the drive to get licensed and run your own show, you will make a shit ton of money. Like Lambo money.

No school required.
Link Posted: 5/15/2021 9:54:53 PM EDT
[#7]
be a plumber, not sure how long to get certified at a trade school.

If you show up and do a good job and finish on time you can pretty much get whatever hourly rate you want.
$125 an hour would not be crazy.

You don't show up on time, do a crappy job and don't finish on time. You will struggle.

Around here a good plumber who shows up and works can probably make 100,000 a year.

Link Posted: 5/15/2021 9:59:40 PM EDT
[#8]
I've dabbled in many things including machinist and industrial maintenance. I took a technical college course for machinist and was hired right out of school as a production worker on a Mazak QuickTurn machine center, starting pay $14.00 an hour in South Carolina, around 2006. I moved around to different companies and topped out at $19.88 per hour before I quit completely. I bought many many machinist instruments, Mitutoyo which I still have if your interested. I did some industrial maintenance which I enjoyed because the work varied and was interesting. I worked for a German company in South Carolina and they gave me a long leash which really made my job enjoyable. I can tell you that electricians rein supreme in building trades and manufacturing. My information is about 12 years old so consider that.

ETA; Machinist are just as skilled as electricians but the pay differential is substantial. I never understood that.
Link Posted: 5/15/2021 10:03:42 PM EDT
[#9]
I'm an Industrial Electrician by trade.   We do everything from controls to routine and preventative maintenance to machine installation.  Robotics, PLC programming, high voltage power distribution, industrial wiring, automation controls, etc. all fall under our responsibility.  Need to have some trouble shooting and mechanical skills to boot.  

Our apprenticeship was 8000 hours, divided up into required tasks to be learned while working under a Journeyman.  There was also (when I went) 60+ hours of courses you had to take at a local college.  These courses are usually customized by the company you are working for.

Getting into the program is hard.  There is a lot of competition and you have to have a good head on your shoulders and be good at math and spatial reasoning just to qualify.  

As for pay, you will start out somewhere in the low 20's and get a pro forma raise every 500 hours, as well as pay for school hours.  Journeymen make around $75k at the bottom and can double that or more if you like overtime.

Right now the average age is right around 45-50 and there is a shortage of qualified journeymen.  One company I know took right around a year to fill 30 or so openings.
Link Posted: 5/15/2021 10:19:09 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

It is easy to get a Machinist job, but most of them are entry level.  The term Machinist can refer to anyone from a guy who just puts blocks of metal into a CNC and takes out the finished parts, to someone who is a Mechanical Engineer in knowledge and job tasks but not paid like one.

I've heard many people suggest work somewhere for a while, then job hop.  That is the best way to advance into new roles.

I started at $16 an hour, got up to 21.  Many places have low pay but expect you to do lots of overtime.

I don't know what sector has the most demand.  But if you learn mold making or tool and die I believe you will be set.  

View Quote

Find the most experienced tool and die maker in the shop,buy him lunch a couple days a week and learn everything you can from him.  It is a lost art.you will be worth your  weight in gold in five years.
Link Posted: 5/15/2021 10:21:17 PM EDT
[#11]
Anyone from the grading and excavation trades want to chime in?  I love running equipment, so far as a hobby but I don’t know if it’s worth going full time.  I’ve also looked into plumbing and electrical.
Link Posted: 5/15/2021 10:22:34 PM EDT
[#12]
What’s your AO?  Makes a huge difference
Link Posted: 5/15/2021 10:24:44 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 5/15/2021 10:28:19 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
That is waaaaay too wide of a question

Can you work with your hands?

How old (generally) are you?

Do you have any experience in any field that you are interested in?

View Quote

Yes

30-35

I build a few AR lowers...I know how to break things as well.
Link Posted: 5/15/2021 10:30:14 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

I have, opening wage sucks, and I am not risking health concerns for 30,000 starting, plus having to work sales/knocking doors.

Fuck That Shit.

If I am working Pest Control, that is what I am doing, NOT working doors/sales. I did not get my paperwork to knock doors, cold calls and dial for dollars.
Link Posted: 5/15/2021 10:30:39 PM EDT
[#16]
I am an electrician. If I were to do it over again. I would be a plumber. They make more $$ and most of the shit they deal with wont kill you. Electricians are dime a dozen and most of them are really bad. When an idiot like me is top of the trade it really says something about the quality of the people in the trade.
Link Posted: 5/15/2021 10:32:23 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Industrial Automation.
View Quote

learn to code.

Link Posted: 5/15/2021 10:36:32 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I have a class A CDL and all my endorsements.  School was six weeks long.  Once you have two years of OTR experience, the world is your oyster.  I can and have rolled into a strange new town and had a job an hour later.  It's a weird lifestyle though.  I don't know how married guys with families do it.  $60k is easily doable if you have any work ethic at all.
View Quote

Tell me more about tucking.

What is the first year/two years like?

How good is trucking for Walmart?
Link Posted: 5/15/2021 10:37:09 PM EDT
[#19]
Look into machining.... and RUN.....Away.

What they say about pay is correct. You will not earn good pay until you've put in at least ten years and are among top 40% (Good pay in Texas, not Austin, would be 50,000 minimum for a single man. Can you get by on less? you can, but kiss retirement goodbye, and pray no catastrophe wipes out your finances.)

Company and industry does also play a role in your wages.

You must do this cause you love it, if not, steer the hell clear from this for your finances sake.

Aerospace, medical and maybe oil and gas have/can be decent paying. Oil/gas is boom bust.

I love machining, but if I had to do it over, a profession that makes money would be at the top of my list. That's why I'm taking a crack at engineering now, lest I find myself having to work two jobs in order to live comfortably.
Link Posted: 5/15/2021 10:40:48 PM EDT
[#20]
Former heavy diesel mechanic, promoted into Fleet management.
Apprenticeships are getting rare but typically 2-4 years depending on how specialized you get, pay starts around 18/hr, and goes up as you prove you are learning.
Once you get 3-5 years of experience, you can literally get a job anywhere you want, nation wide and with some paperwork world wide.
Top paid company guys are 45/hr or more. Independent guys are charging 90-150/hr. Lots of over time and travel if you want it. 100k a year is not hard for most (Ag pays less, but you will still be 80k or  north most places). Automotive is a mess due to the corporate structure, I can't recommend it, but the pay can be up there also if you can hustle.
Huge demand for mechanics in all disciplines, but to be good, it takes experience and continuous education (school, on the job, dealer seminars). I have to know as much about electrical as a low voltage electrician, master plumber (hydraulic controls), I have a class A and use it a few times per week still, I'm a certified welder (Mig, Stick, and Tig 6G), I know as much about some of the systems on these trucks as the engineers who built them, and I have more invested in my tool box than my first 2 houses combined.
Its not glamorous, but it is rewarding. And even with the EV push coming from the political elements, its not going anywhere. Someone still has to fix them.
As for age, most of us are 40+, the younger guys are not getting into the field because it requires work (physical and mental) and you get dirty.

Link Posted: 5/15/2021 10:42:20 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

learn to code.

View Quote

You can make bank doing this... Check out some of the crazy software engineering salaries:

https://www.levels.fyi/

Link Posted: 5/15/2021 10:50:53 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I am an electrician. If I were to do it over again. I would be a plumber. They make more $$ and most of the shit they deal with wont kill you. Electricians are dime a dozen and most of them are really bad. When an idiot like me is top of the trade it really says something about the quality of the people in the trade.
View Quote

Side work

Anyone can Google how to fix a toilet. You can also Google how to change a ceiling fan but 99 percent of people are deathly afraid of electricity for some odd reason.

I've literally made thousands of dollars resetting tripped breakers for people who are almost too dumb to breathe.
Link Posted: 5/15/2021 10:56:22 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Anyone from the grading and excavation trades want to chime in?  I love running equipment, so far as a hobby but I don’t know if it’s worth going full time.  I’ve also looked into plumbing and electrical.
View Quote

Crane operator, if you have a good eye and a steady hand.  I know 2 local companies that  are having trouble finding one. Pay can run from $25 to $50 an hour depending on the company and experience.

Really if you are motivated and show up every day, you can start at the bottom and move up fast. Most of the bridge contractors I work with can't get younger guys to step up. They just want a paycheck with minimal responsiblity. Most crews have 3 or 4 experienced guys between 45 to 60 years old and 3 or 4 young guys (19-25) that just want to do the minimum to keep from getting fired.

General superintendents and project manager can make $60,000 to $100,000 a year with the right company. My SIL is a project manager for a medium sized company and makes $80,000 plus company truck and good benefits.

You could also go the construction inspection route which is what I do. I have 10 different certifications that are required for the job, but they are easy to get. Trainee inspectors start at $30 to $35,000 a year, and senior inspectors range from $60 to $70,000 a year. It took me 5 years to get to senior inspector after being in charge of a $26 millon dollar project.
Link Posted: 5/15/2021 10:56:25 PM EDT
[#24]
This made me curious so I had to look it up.

Apparently CDL work is considered unskilled labor in the US at least.

Training, testing and tiered licensing do not make a skilled trade.
Link Posted: 5/15/2021 10:59:10 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote

What more can you tell me? How much would mold making/tool/die making make you on average?
Link Posted: 5/15/2021 10:59:53 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Plumber.

Too lazy to answer formated questions. If you're willing to work, have the drive to get licensed and run your own show, you will make a shit ton of money. Like Lambo money.

No school required.
View Quote

LOL, shit ton of money.

You a plumber? Any good stories?
Link Posted: 5/15/2021 11:00:49 PM EDT
[#27]
OP, do you live in/near a big city? Small town/rural area? Willing to travel?
Link Posted: 5/15/2021 11:06:03 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I've dabbled in many things including machinist and industrial maintenance. I took a technical college course for machinist and was hired right out of school as a production worker on a Mazak QuickTurn machine center, starting pay $14.00 an hour in South Carolina, around 2006. I moved around to different companies and topped out at $19.88 per hour before I quit completely. I bought many many machinist instruments, Mitutoyo which I still have if your interested. I did some industrial maintenance which I enjoyed because the work varied and was interesting. I worked for a German company in South Carolina and they gave me a long leash which really made my job enjoyable. I can tell you that electricians rein supreme in building trades and manufacturing. My information is about 12 years old so consider that.

ETA; Machinist are just as skilled as electricians but the pay differential is substantial. I never understood that.
View Quote

Why is that? I mean you take a block of metal and make a part, why is that anything less then magic?

What information would you share, how long does it take to become an electrician? What sector pays the most residential? Industrial?

Link Posted: 5/15/2021 11:06:14 PM EDT
[#29]
28 years in concrete,  dirt, underground.
Civil/Heavy highway,  with 20 years of airport transportation thrown in.
Ask away
Link Posted: 5/15/2021 11:11:21 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote

Running Graders and Backhos is a trade?
Link Posted: 5/15/2021 11:11:47 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View Quote

Southwestern United States.
Link Posted: 5/15/2021 11:14:59 PM EDT
[#32]
Electrician-  starting pay back in 2001 after I left the Army was around $12-$13/hr then I left the union to head back out into the sticks and made less.

If your willing to do the time in the ditches and have eyes on the sky you the world is your oyster.  I made roughly 600k according to my personal taxes last year.  Spent most of it on coke and ho’s.   Get good at something and someone out there will pay you a lot to do it.   I haven’t made less than 100k year since around 2007 and at that time it was stellar money.  My skills have taken me around the world.     There has never been better time that I can think of to be in the trades.  I think if you looked around and found someone to hire you a 40k start might be possible right now.  Hell I dont think it will
Be long before 50k/year for a green hand will be in the realm.
Link Posted: 5/15/2021 11:17:52 PM EDT
[#33]
Don’t become a Carpenter unless it’s strictly hardware and wood Finnish carpentry you can make a nice living doing it if your good at it , I would really try and get in the operating engineers union driving heavy equipment or even cranes they make big money with great benefits.
Link Posted: 5/15/2021 11:22:49 PM EDT
[#34]
Building Automation. Best of both worlds. Hands on troubleshooting half the time and the other half programming equipment.
I went the commercial HVAC route until I had enough experience under my belt to land me a BAS job.
Link Posted: 5/15/2021 11:37:03 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Don’t become a Carpenter unless it’s strictly hardware and wood Finnish carpentry you can make a nice living doing it if your good at it , I would really try and get in the operating engineers union driving heavy equipment or even cranes they make big money with great benefits.
View Quote

As a Journeyman Union Carpenter in Seattle with 10+years in the Union, I'm going to disagree. I don't have the patience for finish work, but concrete formwork /wood framing/rough carpentry are easy for me.  Union Scale starts at $27/hr + benefits for 1st period apprentices with no experience and tops out at $48 currently. Contract is up in June and in theory, will go up another $2/yr for the next 3 years again.

Operators here get paid depending on the piece of equipment they're running - get stuck running jobsite manlifts and forklifts and you'll be at $35/hr your entire career. Tower cranes are $60/ish AFIAK. Other equipment pays in between.

If I had to do it over again I'd be looking at plumber/pipe fitter (doing new commercial construction), they're licensed by the state and the apprenticeship is 1 year shorter than the electricians. Currently the pipe trades in Seattle have a waiting list and they have a "pre apprentice" position that pays $26 while those guys work full time trying to get a spot in the apprenticeship. They do all the clean up, get the material, roll up the tools at the end of the day etc., which is the same stuff a 1st period apprentice would be doing for a few bucks more an hour.  

Payscale and the amount of work is going to vary by location.
Link Posted: 5/15/2021 11:39:10 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Southwestern United States.
View Quote

Heavy equipment operator, from what I see...
Crane is the best,  witch is not including towers
Concrete paver/batch plant operators are in VERY high demand,.
Most base pay is in the 250K range
Link Posted: 5/15/2021 11:43:28 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Side work

Anyone can Google how to fix a toilet. You can also Google how to change a ceiling fan but 99 percent of people are deathly afraid of electricity for some odd reason.

I've literally made thousands of dollars resetting tripped breakers for people who are almost too dumb to breathe.
View Quote

As a person who has been shocked more times then he cares to admit, that is a very health fear.
Link Posted: 5/15/2021 11:44:46 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Crane operator, if you have a good eye and a steady hand.  I know 2 local companies that  are having trouble finding one. Pay can run from $25 to $50 an hour depending on the company and experience.

Really if you are motivated and show up every day, you can start at the bottom and move up fast. Most of the bridge contractors I work with can't get younger guys to step up. They just want a paycheck with minimal responsiblity. Most crews have 3 or 4 experienced guys between 45 to 60 years old and 3 or 4 young guys (19-25) that just want to do the minimum to keep from getting fired.

General superintendents and project manager can make $60,000 to $100,000 a year with the right company. My SIL is a project manager for a medium sized company and makes $80,000 plus company truck and good benefits.

You could also go the construction inspection route which is what I do. I have 10 different certifications that are required for the job, but they are easy to get. Trainee inspectors start at $30 to $35,000 a year, and senior inspectors range from $60 to $70,000 a year. It took me 5 years to get to senior inspector after being in charge of a $26 millon dollar project.
View Quote

Tell me more about crane operators/Construction inspection.
Link Posted: 5/15/2021 11:45:37 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
OP, do you live in/near a big city? Small town/rural area? Willing to travel?
View Quote

Live in a very large city in the Southwest, will not say which but if you like buffets, blackjack and hookers it your kind of town.
Link Posted: 5/15/2021 11:46:22 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

As a Journeyman Union Carpenter in Seattle with 10+years in the Union, I'm going to disagree. I don't have the patience for finish work, but concrete formwork /wood framing/rough carpentry are easy for me.  Union Scale starts at $27/hr + benefits for 1st period apprentices with no experience and tops out at $48 currently. Contract is up in June and in theory, will go up another $2/yr for the next 3 years again.

Operators here get paid depending on the piece of equipment they're running - get stuck running jobsite manlifts and forklifts and you'll be at $35/hr your entire career. Tower cranes are $60/ish AFIAK. Other equipment pays in between.

If I had to do it over again I'd be looking at plumber/pipe fitter (doing new commercial construction), they're licensed by the state and the apprenticeship is 1 year shorter than the electricians. Currently the pipe trades in Seattle have a waiting list and they have a "pre apprentice" position that pays $26 while those guys work full time trying to get a spot in the apprenticeship. They do all the clean up, get the material, roll up the tools at the end of the day etc., which is the same stuff a 1st period apprentice would be doing for a few bucks more an hour.  

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

In Tulsa the plumbing union starts first year apprentices at 16 bucks an hour. Hard to get anyone besides guys out of high school for that pay.
Link Posted: 5/15/2021 11:50:03 PM EDT
[#41]
Auto mechanic, fancy German cars.  Entry guys are over 20.00 senior guys over 50.00.  Being paid flat rate, even young guys that hustle hard can break 6 figures.
Most guys I would put in their 40s and angry at technology.  The Ev shit will be the future and anyone who worked on cars in the 90s will be looking for new paths as the ev gets more common.
Its hard on the body, long hours on your feet, dirty and challenging.
Link Posted: 5/15/2021 11:50:20 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View Quote

This is very important.
Link Posted: 5/15/2021 11:52:39 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
28 years in concrete,  dirt, underground.
Civil/Heavy highway,  with 20 years of airport transportation thrown in.
Ask away
View Quote

How much do railroad workers get paid?
Link Posted: 5/15/2021 11:54:08 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View Quote
It's not too bad.  You just don't want to have any fuck ups/wrecks.  Although now, most places will overlook a few booboos.  I had a few at my first company and my current employer didn't bat an eye.  The hard thing is the OTR lifestyle.  Are you single?  Got a girl you care about?  Is it important to be home every weekend?  You can fuck all that off right away.  I use my folks house as a base of operations and I have a place in AZ I call home but really I spend more time in a Tijuana whorehouse than anywhere else  The main perk for me is I can take as much time off as I want and travel.
Link Posted: 5/15/2021 11:57:51 PM EDT
[#45]
elevator tech.
pay is very good for blue collar work. starting pay is 50% and its a 4 year apprenticeship.
its a great career some someone who is smart, can work safe, and is a "jack of all trade, master of none" type. we do it all from electrical, welding, rigging, troubleshooting, assembly you name it.    
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 12:03:40 AM EDT
[#46]
I come from a family of trades people and know many more. Carpentry, various installers, general contractors, concrete, roofs, heating and a/c....

One thing they all have in common...pain. Back surgeries, knee surgeries, shoulder surgeries, and that's if you don't have a bad accident.

They traded their body for money, and all the older ones are in pain, and usually drink a lot to cope.

Just my experience.
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 12:04:33 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Plan on nights, weekends and holidays. 65-70 hour weeks.

Walmart pays like $90k but won't touch you for 3 years.

I'll do about that this year, I'm 10 months into my driving career. It should be pointed out that it's more than a job - it really takes over your life. Really hard on families, as noted.

Shooting for $110k my second year. 14 hours a day, 5 days a week. Right at the legal limit.

Forget about over the road and go straight to LTL. You can still have some sort of life with LTL.  Zero with OTR.
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 12:10:38 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Heavy equipment operator, from what I see...
Crane is the best,  witch is not including towers
Concrete paver/batch plant operators are in VERY high demand,.
Most base pay is in the 250K range
View Quote

Christ! Why so much? How long to become one of those? Or is it whom you know not what you know kind of job.
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 12:14:22 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
It's not too bad.  You just don't want to have any fuck ups/wrecks.  Although now, most places will overlook a few booboos.  I had a few at my first company and my current employer didn't bat an eye.  The hard thing is the OTR lifestyle.  Are you single?  Got a girl you care about?  Is it important to be home every weekend?  You can fuck all that off right away.  I use my folks house as a base of operations and I have a place in AZ I call home but really I spend more time in a Tijuana whorehouse than anywhere else  The main perk for me is I can take as much time off as I want and travel.
View Quote

Drove RV for a few years, I basicly did trucker job for sub trucker wages with zero benefits of the DOT regs (You ever drive 18 straight?) So I have lived the lifestyle a bit, only with shitter pay..

You know any Walmart truckers?

Any good stories?
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 12:16:43 AM EDT
[#50]
Don’t do it. Been in trades 20 some years.
Shoot higher.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top