Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/23/2020 8:56:39 AM EDT
Is there a way to trace where sprinkler pipes are run?  

Going to remove wood deck in backyard and push some dirt around to make concrete patio.  Previous owner put in sprinkler system and a couple sprinkler heads are in the way and I have no idea where the lines are run.  I will cap off the lines where the heads are, but I'd like to try to avoid destroying plumbing that feeds other places.  The sprinklers and plumbing are whatever you get at Home Depot if that matters.
Link Posted: 5/23/2020 9:01:33 AM EDT
[#1]
I’m no pro sprinkler guy, but the only way I know is start digging.

Usually, they run fairly straight so you can dig around the head till you find the PVC and get an idea of which direction it heads.
Link Posted: 5/23/2020 9:04:46 AM EDT
[#2]
Been in your situation. Agree with the above, but it’s no picnic.
Link Posted: 5/23/2020 10:22:54 AM EDT
[#3]
Who ever did mine used lots of "funny pipe", sometimes for really long runs.  I can swag the location of the main line by digging up a head, and running a fish tape (electrician type) down the pipe until it stops, then measuring the tape.  As much as possible they ran multiple feed lines of 1" pvc in the same trench.
Link Posted: 5/23/2020 10:43:45 AM EDT
[#4]
That’s actually an idea.  A fish tape and a underground locate.  
Fish tape would be the conductor.
Fish tape won’t make it thru any plumbing 90s though.

If you are lucky, your lines aren’t as deep as mine @ 24”, cause you are probably digging.
Link Posted: 5/23/2020 2:54:10 PM EDT
[#5]
Witchin sticks.
Link Posted: 5/23/2020 7:06:21 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Witchin sticks.
View Quote

Came here to post this.

Someone will be in to tell how old granpappy did it all the time so it must work.
Link Posted: 5/23/2020 7:15:15 PM EDT
[#7]
No idea if it would work, but if you can push a wire fish down the plastic water pipe, could you then use a metal detector to trace the path of the water line?
Link Posted: 5/23/2020 7:50:30 PM EDT
[#8]
Pretty sure companies offer underground ultrasound services

Hell your power company usually offers it

Link Posted: 5/23/2020 8:05:10 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I’m no pro sprinkler guy, but the only way I know is start digging.

Usually, they run fairly straight so you can dig around the head till you find the PVC and get an idea of which direction it heads.
View Quote

You can also shove a tape measure down a run to see how far before it elbows or tees.
Link Posted: 5/23/2020 8:51:53 PM EDT
[#10]
If it’s like the pipes that were laid down for my house, then just look for the most logical straightforward sensible way to do it. Then you 100% eliminate that where anything will be. However if you look and  see an area that would be difficult or otherwise crazy place to run lines then that is s was here they are. Why do they go under the driveway? No f-ing clue, into tree roots? Sure.
Link Posted: 5/24/2020 8:25:36 AM EDT
[#11]
Probably 2 types of pipes you are dealing with.

PVC pipe

Funny pipe.  Yes, that’s what it is called.

You will have to start digging at the head and follow the funny pipe back to the pvc by digging.

Usually the installation has PVC running through your yard with Funny Pipe running off the PVC which allows easier placement of sprinkler head since the Funny Pipe is flexible.

You can dig around the head, and use this fitting to connect a new piece of Funny Pipe to the existing Funny Pipe and run it to wherever you want to place the head.

Attachment Attached File

I have relocated heads, and added heads to existing zones by using combinations of the fittings in the picture above plus Funny Pipe.

Here is a picture that probably resembles what you have underground.
Attachment Attached File

You can buy all these fittings at Home Depot or Lowe’s.

FYI... Your sprinkler heads are probably running a 1/2” fitting and 1/2” Funny Pipe. Home Depot and Lowe’s sell the 1/2” Funny Pipe.

Attachment Attached File

This is really a VERY SIMPLE DIY project. If you pop a hole in your existing Funny Pipe then it’s no big deal, just cut it below the puncture and add a new piece with the fitting above.

I have found the easiest thing to cut the Funny Pipe with is PVC cutters. You can do it with a knife but it probably won’t be a really straight cut.
Link Posted: 5/24/2020 8:39:47 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
If it's like the pipes that were laid down for my house, then just look for the most logical straightforward sensible way to do it. Then you 100% eliminate that where anything will be. However if you look and  see an area that would be difficult or otherwise crazy place to run lines then that is s was here they are. Why do they go under the driveway? No f-ing clue, into tree roots? Sure.
View Quote

that's my house.  If someone drive by and saw the zones spraying they would be so fucking confused.  

one head in the front yard, a couple on the side, maybe a handful in back all on one zone...... then repeat.
Link Posted: 5/24/2020 8:45:33 AM EDT
[#13]
There is no easy way. There will be digging involved and hopefully they ran the line straight without feeder lines to other heads, and also, have equal distance between heads, would help.
Link Posted: 5/26/2020 8:28:16 PM EDT
[#14]
ive found underground lines withcin sticks. home made.  worked decent.
google says the kind were dowsing sticks.  made from bent copper pipes.
Link Posted: 5/27/2020 12:40:43 AM EDT
[#15]
If you had some way of rapidly turning the sprinkler valves on and off, you could use a mechanic's stethoscope to listen for the lines pulsating.

If someone was really smart, they'd design this feature into sprinkler timers, as a "line tracer" mode.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top