Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/10/2022 4:47:19 PM EDT
My gal bought a certified used 2019 highlander. It now has 42k on it and the awd light went off. So i figured take it to toyota...check engine and awd..... warranty. Nope.... they say it's a bad purge valve and not covered under any warranty.

Anyway around the warranty denial?

Gonna be $300 and even if i do it myself they are gonna hit her $140 for diagnostic
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 5:29:01 PM EDT
[#1]
Powertrain warranty is something like 36000 miles.
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 5:45:07 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Powertrain warranty is something like 36000 miles.
View Quote

60 month /60K miles.

"Powertrain Coverage1

60 months/60,000 miles (engine, transmission/transaxle, front-wheel-drive system, rear-wheel drive, seatbelts and airbags)."

Still trying to find the 1 it lists.
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 5:59:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Purge valve would be emissions equipment which should be a longer warranty.
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 6:05:00 PM EDT
[#4]
1-800-331-4331

Toyota Customer care. Aske them to clarify warranty for diagnosed component and ask for repair assistance.
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 7:35:47 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote

This is what I would think. Purge should be warrantied to 80k
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 8:50:58 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

This is what I would think. Purge should be warrantied to 80k
View Quote

Every place I look online, that valve is not covered under the 8/80k.

"Specified major emission control components are covered for the first 8 years or 80,000 miles (whichever first occurs). The specified major emission control components only include the catalytic converters, the electronic emissions control unit or computer (ECU), and the onboard emissions diagnostic (OBD) device or computer. "

https://www.epa.gov/transportation-air-pollution-and-climate-change/frequent-questions-related-transportation-air#:~:text=The%20Performance%20Warranty%20covers%20repairs,miles%20(whichever%20first%20occurs).
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 8:59:04 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

This.
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 9:23:22 PM EDT
[#8]
They are trying to double dip.
They will warranty claim it to Toyota and still charge you.
Ask for the codes they pulled.
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 9:24:08 PM EDT
[#9]
Not sure how a emissions purge valve would be the cause of an all wheel drive failure though.
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 9:27:15 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

This.
View Quote

Unless I'm missing something. It's not covered. Listed on page 3-5 https://nepis.epa.gov/Exe/ZyPDF.cgi?Dockey=P100NNQH.pdf

What Emission Control and Emission Related Parts Are Covered by The Design and Defect Warranty?

An emission control part is any part installed with the primary purpose of controlling emissions.
An emission related part is any part that has an effect on emissions. Listed below are some examples
of parts or systems which fall under these definitions. A more complete list can be found in your
owner’s manual/warranty booklet. If any of the parts listed below fail to function or function
improperly because of a defect in materials or workmanship, causing your vehicle to exceed federal
emission standards, they should be repaired or replaced under the emissions warranty if your vehicle
is less than 2 years old and has been driven less than 24,000 miles.
One manufacturer may use
more parts than another, so the following list is not complete for all vehicles.
Emission Control Parts
1.  Exhaust Gas Conversion Systems: oxygen sensor, thermal reactor, catalytic converter,
dual-walled exhaust pipe
2.  Exhaust Gas Recirculation System: EGR valve, thermal vacuum switch, EGR solenoid,
EGR spacer plate, EGR backpressure transducer, sensor and switches use to control EGR
flow
3.  Evaporative Emission Control System: purge valve, fuel filler cap, purge solenoid, vapor
storage canister and filter
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 11:12:47 PM EDT
[#11]
I don't see that it is covered. A warranty is a very specific list, not general ideas.

https://www.toyota.com/owners/resources/warranty-owners-manuals.highlander.2019

I can't speak to Toyota, but with Mercedes we have a program where you enter the VIN and mileage then the part and cause of failure. The program runs coverage, it's not a "decision" the dealer makes.
Link Posted: 5/11/2022 2:22:40 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Not sure how a emissions purge valve would be the cause of an all wheel drive failure though.
View Quote

Many manufacturers disable AWD with various engine codes as a way to incentivize people to get them fixed.
Link Posted: 5/11/2022 6:05:56 AM EDT
[#13]
Most OEMs have a warranty parts coverage check where they input the Vin, mileage, and part number/group number/base number and it comes back as covered or not.

Looks like it's not covered according to the posters above. Calling Toyota may get you some repair assistance but unlike the BS you'll read online the OEMs can't make the dealership do much of anything. If you can get some repair assistance from either Toyota or the dealer be sure to be grateful for it and not act like it was owed to you.
Link Posted: 5/11/2022 7:12:22 AM EDT
[#14]
Your not going to get that covered by warranty.

It’s not a power train part.

It’s a 3/36 part. Most certified warranties only have a 1 year bumper to bumper warranty then are power train only.

An extended warranty won’t even cover it. It’s an excluded part in every contract I’ve seen.

Also the awd light comes on because it sets a powertrain code. Then the awd system sets a code stating there’s a powertrain code. It’s all part of traction control systems. They shut everything down when there is a power train issue. Don’t want to be doing funny things with timing and fueling for traction control when there are issues.
Link Posted: 5/11/2022 7:32:51 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

Contrary to popular belief that almost never happens. It's the easiest way for the oem to detect warranty fraud. Customers and sometimes even techs blather on about it when they are misinformed and thinking the man is out to get them.
Link Posted: 5/11/2022 7:51:47 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Contrary to popular belief that almost never happens. It's the easiest way for the oem to detect warranty fraud. Customers and sometimes even techs blather on about it when they are misinformed and thinking the man is out to get them.
View Quote

Yeah I agree. People need to stop parroting that bs.

We get sealing spot checks that our dpsm where are goes Through 40 vin numbers.

Not to mention larger audits.
Link Posted: 5/11/2022 9:43:44 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Most OEMs have a warranty parts coverage check where they input the Vin, mileage, and part number/group number/base number and it comes back as covered or not.

Looks like it's not covered according to the posters above. Calling Toyota may get you some repair assistance but unlike the BS you'll read online the OEMs can't make the dealership do much of anything. If you can get some repair assistance from either Toyota or the dealer be sure to be grateful for it and not act like it was owed to you.
View Quote

I would be surprised if goodwill was offered. You aren’t barely out of coverage, you didn’t buy the car new from that dealer and it’s a purge valve, not some extraordinarily strange or unexpected failure.

Purge valves and charcoal canister shut off valves fail, it’s just why they do. $300 to fix a CEL that disables AWD on a modern car? Sounds like you got lucky.
Link Posted: 5/11/2022 10:33:12 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Many manufacturers disable AWD with various engine codes as a way to incentivize people to get them fixed.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What kind of horseshit is this! AWD system should be considered safety equipment.
Link Posted: 5/11/2022 12:13:23 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

What kind of horseshit is this! AWD system should be considered safety equipment.
View Quote

If something in the engine is not performing correctly system functions are limited. It’s not a scam to take precious money from your pocket.

Our vans have crappy wheel speed sensors. You get every single light in the cluster, there’s 7 or 8 modules that all store a fault for the sensor or for an implausible signal from another control unit due to the sensor.

That’s how CAN systems work. Single sensors with signals shared between modules. You don’t need a speed sensor for the trans and the engine and the wheel speed and the traction control and the awd. There’s one and they all talk. If someone on that network is unhappy, everyone can be unhappy.
Link Posted: 5/11/2022 1:40:32 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

If something in the engine is not performing correctly system functions are limited. It’s not a scam to take precious money from your pocket.

Our vans have crappy wheel speed sensors. You get every single light in the cluster, there’s 7 or 8 modules that all store a fault for the sensor or for an implausible signal from another control unit due to the sensor.

That’s how CAN systems work. Single sensors with signals shared between modules. You don’t need a speed sensor for the trans and the engine and the wheel speed and the traction control and the awd. There’s one and they all talk. If someone on that network is unhappy, everyone can be unhappy.
View Quote

To expand on this. A wheel speed sensor is used in the following system on a modern Honda.

Transmission
Abs
Tcs
Awd
Sliding door
Power tailgate
EPS
Wipers
Shudder grill control
Automatic high beams
Adaptive cruise control
Collision mitigation
Lane keep
Tpms

I’m sure I’m missing one.
Link Posted: 5/11/2022 5:43:03 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote
Incorrect. There are different types of emissions warranty 2/24,000 and 3/36,000 and 8 year/80000 which mainly will cover cars and ECMs. The purge valve would fall under the 3/36.

OP you have a platinum agreement with every TCUV for 1 year or 12k from when you purchased it. Every Certified vehicle comes with that. If you are with in that timeframe it wouldn't hurt to check for coverage. Many ASMs do not realize that.
Link Posted: 5/11/2022 5:48:16 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote

Been doing this for 19 years at various dealerships including 2 Toyota dealerships and have not once seen that occur. Toyota has access to all national history and can see when customers pay for service and when Toyota pays for it. They will see if it was double dipped. Everytime I seek goodwill assistance from my DPSM at Toyota he checks the National Service History.

Link Posted: 5/13/2022 1:08:40 PM EDT
[#23]
It does.   Ours did it.  Its an easy fix but there are two kinds.  We have non hybrid but it used the same part. Was a little more expensive.   I dont think overall it cost more than 100 to fix it.

Wait till your torque converter goes out and it will

My advice.  Buy a scan tool that will erase the codes.   When evap valve fails it will die and not start.  It'll strand ya.  Or fix it.  Its right on top of the engine.
Link Posted: 5/13/2022 6:15:15 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote

An emissions system giving a weird value and a wheel speed sensor have two entirely different effects on the drivability and safety of the car. Disabling AWD and other services for nearly every code thrown is certainly not required and yet some brands really lean into it. Don't tighten the gas cap on a Toyota all the way? No AWD or traction control for you! Better hope the service manager is having a good day and will good will the diagnostic fee on that one. Really depends on how many of those they've gotten that day.
Link Posted: 5/13/2022 7:03:09 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

An emissions system giving a weird value and a wheel speed sensor have two entirely different effects on the drivability and safety of the car. Disabling AWD and other services for nearly every code thrown is certainly not required and yet some brands really lean into it. Don't tighten the gas cap on a Toyota all the way? No AWD or traction control for you! Better hope the service manager is having a good day and will good will the diagnostic fee on that one. Really depends on how many of those they've gotten that day.
View Quote

Disabling the awd just means the rear doesn’t turn on, right? So you have a fwd car, like 90% of all cars Toyota makes?

Scary.
Link Posted: 5/13/2022 7:32:57 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Disabling the awd just means the rear doesn’t turn on, right? So you have a fwd car, like 90% of all cars Toyota makes?

Scary.
View Quote

Traction control also gets disabled. Again, it’s a pretty dumb thing to do for a code for emissions and they’ve been doing it for ages, especially when the computers are smart enough to know the severity of a specific code and handle it accordingly.

Link Posted: 5/13/2022 8:03:35 PM EDT
[#27]
That sucks. I took my 8 year old BMW in this morning because the check engine light was on. Dealer replaced the thermostat for free under some kind of warranty extension for that issue. Couldn’t believe it.
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 7:34:32 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's extremely shady.
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 7:38:22 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Your not going to get that covered by warranty.

It’s not a power train part.

It’s a 3/36 part. Most certified warranties only have a 1 year bumper to bumper warranty then are power train only.

An extended warranty won’t even cover it. It’s an excluded part in every contract I’ve seen.

Also the awd light comes on because it sets a powertrain code. Then the awd system sets a code stating there’s a powertrain code. It’s all part of traction control systems. They shut everything down when there is a power train issue. Don’t want to be doing funny things with timing and fueling for traction control when there are issues.
View Quote

Not a mechanic, but have experience with a few different different makes/models.  I have never seen a vehicle turn off TCS/ABS for powertrain codes. Misfires, lean conditions, vacuum leaks, emissions issues.
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 9:03:55 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

To expand on this. A wheel speed sensor is used in the following system on a modern Honda.

Transmission
Abs
Tcs
Awd
Sliding door
Power tailgate
EPS
Wipers
Shudder grill control
Automatic high beams
Adaptive cruise control
Collision mitigation
Lane keep
Tpms

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Transmission
Abs
Tcs
Awd
Sliding door
Power tailgate
EPS
Wipers
Shudder grill control
Automatic high beams
Adaptive cruise control
Collision mitigation
Lane keep
Tpms

That's a wheel speed sensor.  What does an emissions item have to do with AWD?
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 8:44:55 PM EDT
[#31]
Have you tried talking to a different dealer to see if they will warranty it?

You might be dealing with dickheads.
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 9:19:57 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

I would be surprised if goodwill was offered. You aren’t barely out of coverage, you didn’t buy the car new from that dealer and it’s a purge valve, not some extraordinarily strange or unexpected failure.

Purge valves and charcoal canister shut off valves fail, it’s just why they do. $300 to fix a CEL that disables AWD on a modern car? Sounds like you got lucky.
View Quote

Kinda agree here
Link Posted: 5/21/2022 6:21:04 PM EDT
[#33]
Sure love my ole Ford. Turn the hubs and pull back on the shifter. Yes I can tell when the roads are bad before driving. Worse case I have to stop. LMAO..
Link Posted: 5/21/2022 7:34:17 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

That's a wheel speed sensor.  What does an emissions item have to do with AWD?
View Quote

A purge valve not working correctly can severely mess with engine fuel trims.  Modern awd systems aren’t just about engaging a transfer case they also rely on information from the engine, so it throws an error code for awd saying that there’s and engine code.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top