Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/4/2020 9:43:56 PM EDT
This preview gets into some of the aspects of filmmaking and flying. I'm thinking they're looking to do another movie for audiences like Wings did in 1927.

Top Gun 2 EXTENDED SUPER BOWL Trailer
Link Posted: 2/4/2020 10:15:42 PM EDT
[#1]
I was 16 when the original came out in 86. Was in the Navy from 87-92 (Radar Operator). All I have to say is HELL YEAH! I don't even care if its cheesy, the soundtrack alone gives me chills.

Mscout
Link Posted: 2/4/2020 10:38:38 PM EDT
[#2]
Looks awesome. I might actually have to go to the theater to see it.
Link Posted: 2/4/2020 11:01:34 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Looks awesome. I might actually have to go to the theater to see it.
View Quote
Yeah... me too.
Link Posted: 2/5/2020 9:57:24 PM EDT
[#4]
I was an active duty LT A4 pilot at the time the first one came out. All I can say is I did well
Link Posted: 2/6/2020 9:11:38 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 2/13/2020 10:50:04 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I was an active duty LT A4 pilot at the time the first one came out. All I can say is I did well
View Quote
Where at?  I was on det at NKX the 2 weeks after the movie was released.  The club got, ah, different....
Link Posted: 2/14/2020 12:09:35 AM EDT
[#7]
I was in Boot Camp at Great Mistakes - they literally stopped Boot Camp for 2 hours to show the film in the Drill Hall. Thousands of screaming Navy recruits watch that movie, damn near a religious experience.
Link Posted: 2/20/2020 7:44:52 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Where at?  I was on det at NKX the 2 weeks after the movie was released.  The club got, ah, different....
View Quote
I was flying out of NQX but we did lots of dets at NKX. You are right, the club was indeed different. For instance I didn't know there were 3 bars at the club. They had to open all of them for the overflow!!!!
Link Posted: 2/27/2020 4:40:51 AM EDT
[#9]
I may have already told this story here.  In the late 80's, I was out on the flightline at Pease AFB the day before the annual air show, and was awaiting the arrival of the Thunderbirds.  There was a navy pilot sitting on top of a B2 stand that was up against a KC-10, also waiting for the show, and I went up and sat with him.  We got to talking, and he had been on the Carrier where they filmed the original top gun.  He told me about an incident where Tom Cruise climbed out of the jet after a shoot, and flung his helmet across the flight deck and stormed off.   He said that they all got to see the footage that they shot for the film, and on this particular mission, Cruise, (always in the back seat), had a camera mounted directly in front of him , tight on his head.  In what ended up being the final shot of the day, Cruise's eyes rolled back, and his head fell out of frame in total G-LOC.  It passed back and forth through the frame a few times as the pilot maneuvered, then he straightened up, opened his eyes, and the shot went dark as he blew his lunch all over the camera.  They were much amused.
Link Posted: 2/27/2020 7:47:29 AM EDT
[#10]
Seems like maybe he’s matured some since then and realizes the value of such footage. Seriously an asshole move to throw a tantrum when something doesn’t go your way when getting to fly in an F14; or perhaps he was just in character.

The stories I always heard was the fighter pilots always liked to try to make the actors sick and that Cruise kept a small bag that he’d vomit into and hide it.
Link Posted: 2/27/2020 7:52:42 AM EDT
[#11]
Click To View Spoiler
Link Posted: 2/27/2020 11:43:35 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Seems like maybe he’s matured some since then and realizes the value of such footage. Seriously an asshole move to throw a tantrum when something doesn’t go your way when getting to fly in an F14; or perhaps he was just in character.

The stories I always heard was the fighter pilots always liked to try to make the actors sick and that Cruise kept a small bag that he’d vomit into and hide it.
View Quote
The way the navy dude talked, there was definitely an "us and them" attitude towards the actors.  It kind of goes without saying, since they were, in fact, fighter pilots.  
Link Posted: 2/27/2020 11:46:31 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Click To View Spoiler
View Quote
Hopefully, they've come up with a new story.  They already reused the original in "Days of Thunder".
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top