Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page General » SCUBA
Site Notices
Posted: 7/4/2020 11:08:55 AM EDT
Link Posted: 7/4/2020 12:56:35 PM EDT
[#1]
Keep an open mind. Understand that the vast majority of scuba training is simply a cash grab and diver retention is very small, so quite often new divers are pushed to specific brands or configurations as a way to bolster local dive shop profits. It may or may not be optimal, or even appropriate. What works for you in Florida is not necessarily going to be the same in colder New England waters. A substantial number of divers are vacation-only rental divers, so a lot of operators aren't going to have a variety of stuff for you to try out since it's not

It's been a while since I was a brand new open water diver, but I was fortunate enough to be able to hold off on buying a bunch of stuff until I knew what I was going to do. Buying used can be a huge money saver. Personally, if you're looking for a turn key solution that will take you as far as you'd ever want to go, a single tank backplate and wing package from Dive Gear Express, a Shearwater Perdix, and a set of ScubaPro or Apeks or Oceanic regulators will take you as far as you'd like, and be a solid foundation on which to build.
Link Posted: 7/4/2020 12:58:47 PM EDT
[#2]
Get your personal equipment first, mask fins snorkel etc.
If you find yourself diving a lot post certification, get more gear.

Good shop...hurts a little tho.  I am at the busiest shop in the area in Deerfield Beach.
Link Posted: 7/4/2020 4:22:16 PM EDT
[#3]
Dive gear is filled with lots of hype so just buy quality equipment. But I would wait until I had a few dives under my belt.

I also would say before you buy any BCD you must at least try a back plate and wing.
Page General » SCUBA
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top