Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/15/2021 11:18:57 PM EDT
Wife hit a deer on her 2020 Pilot appx 100 yards from our house. Front bumper, quarter panel and passenger door are nice dented up. She calls me about to cry to let me know. Her and the daughter are fine. She then gets home and opens the mail to find a $1k bill for the er physician we saw when she had to get her foot sewed up. Only took 3 stitches. So any tips on negotiating an er bill down?  We are both insured. She will call Monday to get a detailed bill.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 11:19:39 PM EDT
[#1]
Damn...
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 11:21:33 PM EDT
[#2]
If your dog dies, you can write a country music song.  Record it with some studio musicians and make a small fortune.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 11:23:16 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Wife hit a deer on her 2020 Pilot appx 100 yards from our house. Front bumper, quarter panel and passenger door are nice dented up. She calls me about to cry to let me know. Her and the daughter are fine. She then gets home and opens the mail to find a $1k bill for the er physician we saw when she had to get her foot sewed up. Only took 3 stitches. So any tips on negotiating an er bill down?  We are both insured. She will call Monday to get a detailed bill.
View Quote

Glad she wasnt hurt... Have you submitted the bill to your insurance company?
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 11:23:46 PM EDT
[#4]
Your insurance sucks.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 11:25:40 PM EDT
[#5]
Yep. My five year old deep well pump self destructed. Very expensive day.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 11:27:19 PM EDT
[#6]
Give her a hug and tell her all that matters is that she and your daughter is okay. The ER bill, it's just money, thank God it was only stiches and not worse. The car can be fixed.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 11:28:42 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If your dog dies, you can write a country music song.  Record it with some studio musicians and make a small fortune.
View Quote

In a 5 day period I lost my job, my mom died and my dog died.

I was out in the backyard digging a grave for my dog and thought "holy shit, all I am a breakup and a missing pickup truck away from a country song"
And I started laughing.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 11:33:28 PM EDT
[#8]
I didn’t try to negotiate my $2,000 co-pay any lower with my local hospital but, they did offer a deal where I could pay $100 a month (interest free) until it’s paid off.

They screwed my insurance company out of about $20,000 which pissed me off. Figured I’d pay those a-holes back as slowly as I could.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 11:39:17 PM EDT
[#9]
And my daughter had a bad ear infection over the weekend. Finally got to see the ENT yesterday. She has a hole in her right ear drum. Hearing isn’t as good as the left side. He is hoping it’ll heal itself, we go back in a month to see.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 11:40:35 PM EDT
[#10]
“In a 5 day period I lost my job, my mom died and my dog died.”

Damn man I’m sorry
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 11:41:33 PM EDT
[#11]
Dayam.  Overbilled and now the king's deer decides to get in the path of her vehicle.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 11:43:58 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Your insurance sucks.
View Quote

this. That should have been a $100 copay
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 11:46:31 PM EDT
[#13]
Don't pay bill. BidenCare is coming.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 11:46:40 PM EDT
[#14]
How long ago was the procedure? and you should be asking why the insurance company wasn't billed, and if the ICD codes were correct.  This could be a case of overbilling, which is really common.  I had surgery years ago and the hospital billed me, I just waited it out until they worked everything out with insurance, the bill went away or it was like a small marginal amount.  A $1000 bill sounds like overbilling, don't pay it until you see and explanation of benefits from the insurance company detailing what they billed and what was paid.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 11:48:13 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

I seriously don't mean to kick you while you're down but your insurance is garbage.

I've had surgery twice for less than that.

Also are you sure they billed your insurance, or either which would apply to the Doc in question

Link Posted: 1/15/2021 11:48:39 PM EDT
[#16]
My nephew found out the hard way that the ER doctor often does not work for the hospital. The hospital is in the network for his insurance but the doctor was not. It looks like this is a common practice. The hospital has to accept all emergency patients and by contracting out the ER doctor they avoid the cost of having the doctor on staff. Since the doctor does not accept insurance, he collects more money for his service. The insurance pays their normal amount but the doctor is free to try and collect the balance from you. If he was in network, he could only charge you the difference between what insurance paid and the negotiated price the insurance company had. One reason this happens is because so many people do not have insurance. He is in Texas and there are a lot of people who just crossed the border. His sister is a nurse and worked at a hospital that was forced to merge with a larger hospital because so many of the births were from people on welfare or just without insurance.

The real unfair part is that you have no way of knowing if the doctor is in your network or not. Even if you did, in a true emergency what are you to do? Most people pick their insurance based on what doctors and hospitals are in their network to avoid this situation but you can’t tell what is covered.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 11:49:48 PM EDT
[#17]
Good luck with the er bill. A couple years ago we had a bad experience with a hospital and a er bill. We jumped through all the hoops to try to get it reduced only to be told that we had to much money in the bank to qualify, once wide we qualified.  We had just sold a house. We tried to take explain that the money was not normally accessible to us and as we would be buying another house it would soon be gone. Nope they didn't care. And as we complained about it they stated and I quote. "The affordable Care act stipulates what we can charge for services and so we charge the maximum by law".
I despise that hospital system to this day.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 11:55:55 PM EDT
[#18]
Call the hospital billing dept and tell them you want to pay it off $100 per month.  Hospitals have so many uncollectible bills, they are glad to provide a payment plan.  They won’t report late to the credit agencies if you’re actively making the payments.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 12:11:36 AM EDT
[#19]
You have comprehensive insurance on your vehicle?  It covers hitting a deer.  I carry it just for this reason. $100 deductible. I have hit a lot of deer.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 12:14:11 AM EDT
[#20]
I can't help you with the car but I can tell you how to handle that ridiculous bill....
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 12:25:15 AM EDT
[#21]
Keep in mind the majority of the bills I have received that expensive are usually fuck ups from the billing dept. Shit has  to be coded correctly by the dr or hospital or insurance companies will balk like hell. Or your insurance just sucks. One of the two.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 12:30:50 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
How long ago was the procedure? and you should be asking why the insurance company wasn't billed, and if the ICD codes were correct.  This could be a case of overbilling, which is really common.  I had surgery years ago and the hospital billed me, I just waited it out until they worked everything out with insurance, the bill went away or it was like a small marginal amount.  A $1000 bill sounds like overbilling, don't pay it until you see and explanation of benefits from the insurance company detailing what they billed and what was paid.
View Quote

This

Same thing happened here, minus stitches, but a $2600 bill for a visit.

Hospital bill was for the full 2600, a month later after going through insurance, it was <$150.

Contact them about it, then wait a month or so.

Unless you have Obamacare, then you're prob screwed as the deductibles are sky high.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 12:32:41 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Good luck with the er bill. A couple years ago we had a bad experience with a hospital and a er bill. We jumped through all the hoops to try to get it reduced only to be told that we had to much money in the bank to qualify, once wide we qualified.  We had just sold a house. We tried to take explain that the money was not normally accessible to us and as we would be buying another house it would soon be gone. Nope they didn't care. And as we complained about it they stated and I quote. "The affordable Care act stipulates what we can charge for services and so we charge the maximum by law".
I despise that hospital system to this day.
View Quote

Couldn't you wait until getting your new house, then have them reappraise/rerun their number?
Then they'd have a more accurate accounting of what's really in the bank.

Link Posted: 1/16/2021 12:33:52 AM EDT
[#24]
Did you at least get the backstrps from the deer?
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 12:48:17 AM EDT
[#25]
comprehensive on the car $500 deductible, it looks like they billed insurance, hard to tell by what she screen shot me, she pulled out her booklet-$100 is what we should’ve been charged, blue cross blue shield of alabama, I’m at the fire station so no backstraps
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 12:55:20 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Dayam.  Overbilled and now the king's deer decides to get in the path of her vehicle.
View Quote

Was he? In the land of 70K + vehicles, 1 K cell phones, High housing/real estate costs /home prices going through the roof, 10 dollar and up drinks ,  etc. and people are willing to pay these prices and go
WAY in debt to do so.

I always find it funny how most people think health care professionals should work for peanuts.

We have uneducated people out there who's labor is  billed @ hundreds of dollars / hour. What should a health care professional bill? The health care professionals in my immediate family have 5 to 9 years post HS education. Hundreds of thousands of dollars.

What do you think a hospital that keeps it doors open 24/7 and with ALL the costs associated with that should charge? To aid people in their time of need night or day. All the expensive equipment, all of the utility bills, all the maintenance, all the personnel you don't even see when you come in for something.

People really do think health care should be free so they can afford their toys and mostly useless shit.

Sorry, those in my family have worked hard and spent a ton of money on education, are exposed to all kinds of shit including out of their mind patients, and work LONG hours.

They want the good life to. They earned it. They sacrificed for it.

If you consider EVERYONE in the hospital involved in fixing the foot of OPs wife and the fact that they need paid, if it was ALL broken down a reasonable person might agree that 1K is not out of line.

Link Posted: 1/16/2021 1:01:11 AM EDT
[#27]
Ask whoever set the medical bill if you can make payments
If not, ask them for their info for your bankruptcy
Drives them nuts

Wife and kid are safe
Veh can be fixed
That’s all that matters
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 1:04:11 AM EDT
[#28]
Could be that specific Doctor was out of network.

Happened to me. I went to the ER and was seen by 2 physicians. One was not covered by my insurance because he was out of network.

Who goes to an ER in pain interviewing physicians to see if they are “in network”?

Multiple phone calls and 2 months later the bill was finally covered.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 1:12:53 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

We have uneducated people out there who's labor is  billed @ hundreds of dollars / hour.
View Quote

Looks like you are conflating education and skill.

What uneducated people bill at hundreds of dollas/hr?
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 1:17:19 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Was he? In the land of 70K + vehicles, 1 K cell phones, High housing/real estate costs /home prices going through the roof, 10 dollar and up drinks ,  etc. and people are willing to pay these prices and go
WAY in debt to do so.

I always find it funny how most people think health care professionals should work for peanuts.

We have uneducated people out there who's labor is  billed @ hundreds of dollars / hour. What should a health care professional bill? The health care professionals in my immediate family have 5 to 9 years post HS education. Hundreds of thousands of dollars.

What do you think a hospital that keeps it doors open 24/7 and with ALL the costs associated with that should charge? To aid people in their time of need night or day. All the expensive equipment, all of the utility bills, all the maintenance, all the personnel you don't even see when you come in for something.

People really do think health care should be free so they can afford their toys and mostly useless shit.

Sorry, those in my family have worked hard and spent a ton of money on education, are exposed to all kinds of shit including out of their mind patients, and work LONG hours.

They want the good life to. They earned it. They sacrificed for it.

If you consider EVERYONE in the hospital involved in fixing the foot of OPs wife and the fact that they need paid, if it was ALL broken down a reasonable person might agree that 1K is not out of line.

View Quote

"Overbilling" doesn't mean what you apparently think it means.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 1:24:42 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View Quote

$1k bill is the deductible or the total bill or your portion of the bill?

Call their accounts/collections/bursars office and ask for the medicaid pricing because you are having financial difficulty of you aren't covered.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 1:27:38 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Did you at least get the backstrps from the deer?
View Quote

Yeah, I was wondering about the deer too.   Did he get away or did you get meat??

Link Posted: 1/16/2021 1:29:46 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote

LOL !!!!.......Best post of the day so far !....LOL !!!
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 2:07:57 AM EDT
[#34]
Her insurance booklet says in or out of network are both $100. It was a bill for us to pay them but we aren’t until I exhaust every option. Especially since her packet says what we should be paying. No deer, I’m at work till the morning. Not even sure if it killed it or not.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 2:10:08 AM EDT
[#35]
I had my first deer strike last week.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 3:25:16 AM EDT
[#36]
Ask for an itemized Bill.

When they list everything make them give you what they used. If they can't give it to you, then have them prove they used it. Was the medical billing department there during the procedure?

Then how do you know it was used? I'm not a doctor.

I read someone got out of a Bill like that asking those questions.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 3:27:50 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Your insurance sucks.
View Quote

Probably an HDHP.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 3:41:44 AM EDT
[#38]
Even in the People's Republic of California, taking road kill without a hunting license is legal. Buy your wife a good knife set for her next birthday.

Not to rub salt in the wound, my knee replacement cost $15, and that included a home nurse and physical therapy. The lap dance was extra, but money well spent.

Link Posted: 1/16/2021 3:50:04 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yea, I laughed too.
Sorry OP, I know it's not quite as funny for you. Wife & I been through our own nightmare billing with hospitals. Goes, on, and on, with constant auto generated bills in the mail.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 9:23:12 AM EDT
[#40]
I had a high deductible plan while having kids. They meet the deductible pretty quick. My wife’s second pregnancy was twins, they were born on the 20th and spent 12 days in the NICU. Where does 12 days take it? January 1. Bunch of shit magically has to be billed on discharge day, communist fucks.

We moved back to Michigan and my wife has insurance through the school she is teaching, much better.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 9:27:59 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

this. That should have been a $100 copay
View Quote

I’m guessing it is that OP has not hit his deductible which started over January 1 plus some insurances require a 20% out of pocket payment toward ER and hospital procedures.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 9:31:42 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
And my daughter had a bad ear infection over the weekend. Finally got to see the ENT yesterday. She has a hole in her right ear drum. Hearing isn’t as good as the left side. He is hoping it’ll heal itself, we go back in a month to see.
View Quote

I had dual perforated eardrums from childhood ear infections. Due to scarring the drums don’t heal well and have a permanent fault line.  

If i get a stuffy nose or eustachian tube blockage they pop open.

He hearing will probably be normal after the current infection resolves.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 9:33:35 AM EDT
[#43]
On the bill:  let it slip past due and negotiate.  My wife worked at the billing department at the hospital while going to college and they were allowed to do roughly 35-40% of the actual bill to get you to pay it.   The funny part is she had a bill and because she was an employee she couldn’t negotiate it down and we eventually paid it when she moved on from that and college into her teaching career  

Now as far as expensive-  this long block install on paper was $12,000... I was sent a quote before the work began in case Ford didn’t warranty it because it had a supercharger on it.

Link Posted: 1/16/2021 9:51:37 AM EDT
[#44]
I own a small business. I have always said that if I don’t get beat out of $100.00 by lunchtime, it is going to be a good day.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 10:01:36 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Give her a hug and tell her all that matters is that she and your daughter is okay. The ER bill, it's just money, thank God it was only stiches and not worse. The car can be fixed.
View Quote

That’s exactly what my hubby would be saying to me as I stood there crying. You’re a good hubby/dad.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 10:04:45 AM EDT
[#46]
I went to  Waffle House and got the All-Star breakfast, I  thought that was expensive.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 10:36:52 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
I own a small business. I have always said that if I don’t get beat out of $100.00 by lunchtime, it is going to be a good day.
View Quote

Ain’t that the truth.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 10:40:37 AM EDT
[#48]
After playing rugby for a few years, I learned that a trip to the drug store to pick up butterfly bandages and super glue is a lot cheaper than going to the ER!

Sorry for your troubles OP...extra sorry for you not butchering the deer.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 10:45:17 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
If your dog dies, you can write a country music song.  
View Quote

GD delivers.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 10:48:58 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
After playing rugby for a few years, I learned that a trip to the drug store to pick up butterfly bandages and super glue is a lot cheaper than going to the ER!

Sorry for your troubles OP...extra sorry for you not butchering the deer.
View Quote

There’s truth here.

Of course, shitty homespun cut fixing has left enough ugly scars that it looks like I’ve been mauled by a Bengal tiger.

Hang tough, OP
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top