Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 6
Posted: 9/27/2021 11:21:01 AM EDT
I'm incredibly proud of you.  Seriously.

While I don't personally know what that internal battle is like, I have been very close to those who succumbed to addiction.  I lost my baby brother two years ago today to his alcoholism. I saw first hand how powerful addiction is to the affected... and I can only guess the amount of determination it takes to overcome it.

For those of you who through sheer tenacity and willpower overcame addiction, from a random internet stranger... thank you.  You have shown just how resilient you can be.  Tougher than a lot of us, stronger than most will ever know.  Your family, children, hell... even the people you haven't met yet will be changed for the better because your presence in this life is valued.  I miss my brother incredibly, but I find immense pride knowing there are strong minds who overcame it.

Thank you for giving life a chance.  You have a lot to be proud of

Miss you bro
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/27/2021 12:01:02 PM EDT
[#1]
My condolences to you and everyone that knew your brother, OP.  I lost my middle brother 7 years ago to a heart attack (his second) at 55.  He didn't quit drinking and smoking after the first scare and the second attack came after he'd had chest pains and he called Mom who lived nearby, and she came and got him and took him to the hospital.  He collapsed late that night in his room when he got up to go to the restroom, and the staff said they fought for several hours to revive him.  Unfortunately his brain was without oxygen for too long, and we had to make the choice to turn off the life support after we saw the EEG and it showed he was brain dead.  He was gone 3 hours after they turned it off.

His death made me look at my own health, and I quit drinking cold turkey and got back in shape because of him.
Link Posted: 9/27/2021 12:06:39 PM EDT
[#2]
I've posted it here before but I'm a recovering opiate addict. Over four years clean now. Took opiates for about 12 years, two years of IV use and heroin. If it wasn't for Suboxone, I'd be dead. It may seem impossible to get clean, but it is. If I can do it, anyone can.
Link Posted: 9/27/2021 12:09:48 PM EDT
[#3]
Sorry about your brother.
Link Posted: 9/27/2021 12:14:55 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I've posted it here before but I'm a recovering opiate addict. Over four years clean now. Took opiates for about 12 years, two years of IV use and heroin. If it wasn't for Suboxone, I'd be dead. It may seem impossible to get clean, but it is. If I can do it, anyone can.
View Quote

You're a fucking rock star, man.  It isn't our faults that define us, it's how we overcome them that does.  

I'd give you the biggest fucking bro-hug right now if I could.  I'm damn proud of you.
Link Posted: 9/27/2021 12:35:39 PM EDT
[#5]
Downtrodden is cool people.
5 years sober off alcohol.
To our members struggling to get clean, keep after it.
To the normies, lucky bastards.
Link Posted: 9/27/2021 12:37:03 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

Outstanding sir.
Link Posted: 9/27/2021 12:39:22 PM EDT
[#7]
You're good people. Condolences about your brother. Addiction is a hell of a thing. 225 days with clear eyes.
Link Posted: 9/27/2021 12:40:50 PM EDT
[#8]
Sorry for your loss man. Addiction fucking sucks.
Link Posted: 9/27/2021 12:41:09 PM EDT
[#9]
And here i am on day fucking 1 of quitting cigarettes again and already DREADING the withdrawal.  I'm bitching and there's folks in here that are recovered hard drug users.  I'm such a pussy.
Link Posted: 9/27/2021 12:42:05 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
And here i am on day fucking 1 of quitting cigarettes again and already DREADING the withdrawal.  I'm bitching and there's folks in here that are recovered hard drug users.  I'm such a pussy.
View Quote

Stay strong brother. Some may have it worse, but it all sucks.
Link Posted: 9/27/2021 12:42:19 PM EDT
[#11]
Sorry about your brother.  I don't get it.  When I got myself clean from the pain pills, it was hard.  Hell, it sucked.  But there isn't anything special about me.  I know I had God's help, but still - I think to myself, "If I can do it, anyone can do it."  

I just don't get it.
Link Posted: 9/27/2021 12:43:58 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote
Quitting smoking isn't hard. You only think it is.
Link Posted: 9/27/2021 12:44:26 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

Awesome!
Link Posted: 9/27/2021 12:45:29 PM EDT
[#14]
I gave up alcohol 3 years ago.

I'm 3 days into battling out another 20 year addiction.

Your words mean more to me, right now, than you'll ever realize.
My will power was fading and I planned to give in at Noon.

Thank you!
Link Posted: 9/27/2021 12:47:39 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote

Thank you.  I want to quit and I don't want to quit.  It's a weird situation.  Just had my brand new truck delivered to my office today so it'll be nice to enjoy new truck smell instead of smoke.  Hopefully live longer to enjoy my little girl more.
Link Posted: 9/27/2021 12:48:19 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Don't disagree at all.
Link Posted: 9/27/2021 12:49:14 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Thank you!
View Quote

@Possumluke

You got this!!!!!
Link Posted: 9/27/2021 12:51:14 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 9/27/2021 12:55:25 PM EDT
[#19]
Have a family member 30 day inpatient rehabbing right now for alcohol. After day 3 they were calling to have someone pick them up. Nobody will and the medical staff said no way he can leave with his symptoms. Long road ahead. This is trip number 3. Not optimistic because there’s excuses as to why they went, never once said I need to do this for me.
Link Posted: 9/27/2021 12:57:01 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Don't disagree at all.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Don't disagree at all.

It was hard to quit smoking. Took a long time to stop wanting one after I quit. Took me a while to realize it was the physical holding and activity that I missed. I was able to replace that activity with something stupid and it worked. As dumb as it sounds a fucking fidget spinners made the difference. It was long before that was a term. I just needed something to have in my hands. Usually it was a pen or a pocket watch.
Link Posted: 9/27/2021 12:57:19 PM EDT
[#21]
Thanks man. 3 years sober for me, alcoholic for 17 years.
Link Posted: 9/27/2021 2:00:34 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Downtrodden is cool people.
5 years sober off alcohol.
To our members struggling to get clean, keep after it.
To the normies, lucky bastards.
View Quote

Quoted:
You're good people. Condolences about your brother. Addiction is a hell of a thing. 225 days with clear eyes.
View Quote

No guys, I'm most definitely am not good.  I'm a recovering asshole, although I don't want that to take anything away from the topic.

While he was still alive, I confronted my baby brother's addiction with "tough love" at best, apathy at worst.  I thought my rough approach would set him straight, that maybe he was coddled his entire life and he just needed a bit of blunt honesty... turns out that didn't do a single thing for him but worsen his depression.  

It absolutely kills me that I can't recall the last time I said I loved him, that I was proud of him.  A little bit of positive interaction could have been the highlight of his life, and I couldn't even do that.  He may have been a drunk, but he was my baby brother.  I never recognized the role we play in each others lives... and I chose the asshole role instead of a positive one.

Hence, this thread.  A recovering asshole trying to right past wrongs.  

I really am proud of all you.  Seriously.  I can't say it enough.
Link Posted: 9/27/2021 2:02:04 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Thank you!
View Quote

@Possumluke
Anytime you feel like you might be slipping, please hit me up man.  I need to feel like I'm doing something right occasionally.  Don't hesitate, at all.

Edit:  that goes for EVERYONE here.
Link Posted: 9/27/2021 2:22:24 PM EDT
[#24]
My younger brother is trying to get sober now. He lost his wife 10 years ago and it sent him into a tailspin.  He is and has been a functioning alcoholic for years, he is successful good-looking guy making great money but hooked up and married some alcoholic, bipolar, 2-baby daddy having, gold-digging, gutter trash psychopathy a few years ago.  She has done everything possible to screw him over while he paid for her horse hobby and kids.  She has cheated on him multiple times with several different people to include his best friend.

He is as addicted to her as he is the booze and the loss of his first wife fuels both. He is currently serving another 5 days in jail for some DV charge she orchestrated. The rub is that he still wants to be with her after all the shit she has done to him. Has been out of his house because of no contact orders for close to 2 years. (Covid pushed his trial out over a year, and he broke the no contact several times.)

Anyway, he did 30 days of inpatient rehab at a Ford clinic, 60 days all together in jail so far. He was 90 days clean and living at my house after he got out last time. But last week he found out she was cheating again, and it sent him back to the bottle.

I don’t know what to do with him at this point. He seems hell bent on staying with her and wont listen to reason. Some how he still has his Job and his house, but I know his work is nearing the end of their understanding. He has been there 25 years and basically brings in most of the work they do, but if he keeps doing the same stupid shit they will cut him loose and he will be really screwed.
Link Posted: 9/27/2021 2:31:08 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
My younger brother is trying to get sober now. He lost his wife 10 years ago and it sent him into a tailspin.  He is and has been a functioning alcoholic for years, he is successful good-looking guy making great money but hooked up and married some alcoholic, bipolar, 2-baby daddy having, gold-digging, gutter trash psychopathy a few years ago.  She has done everything possible to screw him over while he paid for her horse hobby and kids.  She has cheated on him multiple times with several different people to include his best friend.

He is as addicted to her as he is the booze and the loss of his first wife fuels both. He is currently serving another 5 days in jail for some DV charge she orchestrated. The rub is that he still wants to be with her after all the shit she has done to him. Has been out of his house because of no contact orders for close to 2 years. (Covid pushed his trial out over a year, and he broke the no contact several times.)

Anyway, he did 30 days of inpatient rehab at a Ford clinic, 60 days all together in jail so far. He was 90 days clean and living at my house after he got out last time. But last week he found out she was cheating again, and it sent him back to the bottle.

I don’t know what to do with him at this point. He seems hell bent on staying with her and wont listen to reason. Some how he still has his Job and his house, but I know his work is nearing the end of their understanding. He has been there 25 years and basically brings in most of the work they do, but if he keeps doing the same stupid shit they will cut him loose and he will be really screwed.
View Quote

Dang.

If there's anything I can suggest, it's just be a good person in his life.  That absolutely doesn't mean enabling his bad choices like drinking or toxic relationships.  His problems are his own, do not try to take them on as yours.

All you can do is just be a good person in his life.  Things may or may not work out for him, but that's not your burden to bear.  Be aware if your own state if mind throughout this... if his life is beginning to negatively impact yours, keep in mind that you may need to take a step back.

Just be a good big brother as much as you can, while understanding that most (if not all) of these issues are completely outside of your ability to fix.
Link Posted: 9/27/2021 2:40:56 PM EDT
[#26]
DT, you're good people. Seriously

I've got 473 days without alcohol in. I've had a LOT of real shitty days since then, but all of them were dealt with, not numbed away.

Feel free to IM me OP, if you feel like talking. Life's a trip.
Link Posted: 9/27/2021 2:46:22 PM EDT
[#27]
Coming up on 3 months sober here.

Link Posted: 9/27/2021 2:49:45 PM EDT
[#28]
December will be 4 years sober from alcohol. No dt’s or anything when I quit, but I’ve blacked out too many times to count. And once I take that first drink, I’m getting absolutely wasted, there’s no beer with dinner. It’s much easier to stop at zero than try to stop after two.
Link Posted: 9/27/2021 2:49:58 PM EDT
[#29]
December will be 4 years sober from alcohol. No dt’s or anything when I quit, but I’ve blacked out too many times to count. And once I take that first drink, I’m getting absolutely wasted, there’s no beer with dinner. It’s much easier to stop at zero than try to stop after two.
Link Posted: 9/27/2021 2:50:28 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 9/27/2021 2:54:49 PM EDT
[#31]
Sober and off all mood altering substances for 39 years now. I'd have been long dead and gone and missed the best part of my life if I hadn't quit. For all those still battling addictions never give up and know that the best is yet to come when you quit for good.
Link Posted: 9/27/2021 2:56:55 PM EDT
[#32]
Sorry for your loss brother.
Link Posted: 9/27/2021 3:02:08 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Dang.

If there's anything I can suggest, it's just be a good person in his life.  That absolutely doesn't mean enabling his bad choices like drinking or toxic relationships.  His problems are his own, do not try to take them on as yours.

All you can do is just be a good person in his life.  Things may or may not work out for him, but that's not your burden to bear.  Be aware if your own state if mind throughout this... if his life is beginning to negatively impact yours, keep in mind that you may need to take a step back.

Just be a good big brother as much as you can, while understanding that most (if not all) of these issues are completely outside of your ability to fix.
View Quote

We are and have always been super close, and he has helped me out many times over the years, so I have a hard time with that.
Link Posted: 9/27/2021 3:05:12 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View Quote

Battling any kind of addiction is not an easy feat. When you get addicted to alcohol, nicotine etc, the brain is rewired to crave that chemical.
Link Posted: 9/27/2021 3:08:25 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Sorry about your brother.  I don't get it.  When I got myself clean from the pain pills, it was hard.  Hell, it sucked.  But there isn't anything special about me.  I know I had God's help, but still - I think to myself, "If I can do it, anyone can do it."  

I just don't get it.
View Quote

Same here.  My drug of choice was different than yours, but it was a test every day for a long, long time.

My opinion is similar to yours.  I am not special and I cleaned myself up.  For that reason, I am both empathetic with and very hard on addicts.  If you want to get clean, I mean really want to...you can.  It's a decision that has to be made, that's it.
Link Posted: 9/27/2021 3:09:28 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View Quote

Awesome.   Stick with it.
Link Posted: 9/27/2021 4:16:26 PM EDT
[#37]
Thank you SO MUCH!

This honestly helped me through a rough morning.

I'm staying strong.

After getting over that hill, I think I've got today beat.
Link Posted: 9/27/2021 4:30:19 PM EDT
[#38]
Just got done visiting my brother's cemetery plot.  Bit of an emotional mindfuck, but all things considered a good experience.  Fairly healing, if that makes sense.

You guys are awesome.  I'd wouldn't trade one societal reject who beat internal adversity for a million straight edged dudley do-rights.  My salt-of-the-earth friends here, keep on kicking ass
Link Posted: 9/27/2021 4:54:23 PM EDT
[#39]
I've never really told this story, but we hired a knocked up convicted felon former addict and car thief.  Prison saved her life.  It's a pretty good overall story.  She applied for a job with us, wasn't the best candidate, but I found some hours for her here and there until we had a spot for her.    a few years later she now has a couple kids, and is a full time student but still gives us some hours when she can.  She's awesome.  I may tell that story in more detail sometime.  

Link Posted: 9/27/2021 5:01:18 PM EDT
[#40]
From what I've seen with addictions, the only real way to deal with them is to replace them with something less harmful. But the drive never really goes away, best you can do is just redirect it.
Link Posted: 9/27/2021 5:02:30 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View Quote

Nic is pretty damn hard to quit.  I never could.  Switched to vape.  At least it doesn't stink.
Link Posted: 9/27/2021 5:02:35 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Just got done visiting my brother's cemetery plot.  Bit of an emotional mindfuck, but all things considered a good experience.  Fairly healing, if that makes sense.

You guys are awesome.  I'd wouldn't trade one societal reject who beat internal adversity for a million straight edged dudley do-rights.  My salt-of-the-earth friends here, keep on kicking ass
View Quote

Hang in there brother.
Link Posted: 9/27/2021 5:02:42 PM EDT
[#43]
For anyone actively dealing with this (or even still retroactively and looking for understanding), I'd reccomend Al Anon or Nar Anon to concerned family members and friends to help interact with the addict in their life as effectively as possible.
Link Posted: 9/27/2021 5:07:03 PM EDT
[#44]
Sorry you can appreciate how difficult it is.

I was never able to give up drinking till I tried the Sinclair method.
Still struggle with other compulsions.

If anyone out there is struggling with alcohol look it up. It made quitting drinking easy. That's something I never really imagined being able to say.
Link Posted: 9/27/2021 5:08:59 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
View Quote

The sinclair method uses a similar opiate blocker called naltrexone.

I have a friend who struggled with opiates that was on suboxone, it managed that addiction fairly well, not so much for meth...
Link Posted: 9/27/2021 5:09:31 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I smoked for 40 years . Quit 2 years 3 months ago. One day I just decided I wouldn't buy anymore . When the last one in the pack was smoked the fight began. After the first week I knew I could do it. Lucky I haven't had any health issues so far. Knock on wood. You can do it !
Link Posted: 9/27/2021 5:10:37 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View Quote

nicotine is probably one of the hardest addictions to kick.
If you fall off the wagon vaping is at least good for harm reduction.
Link Posted: 9/27/2021 5:13:51 PM EDT
[#48]
Sorry for your loss bro.
Link Posted: 9/27/2021 5:16:23 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Dang.

View Quote

sometimes finding a way to give someone even the tiniest bit of positive reinforcement for something they are doing well goes miles. Or just being there/reaching out so they know they are not alone in the world...
Link Posted: 9/27/2021 5:20:25 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
From what I've seen with addictions, the only real way to deal with them is to replace them with something less harmful. But the drive never really goes away, best you can do is just redirect it.
View Quote

I eat ice cream most evenings since quitting drinking. Dopamine response and a reward for a long day. Lot easier to skip the icecream than the alcohol.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top