Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/10/2023 10:03:54 AM EDT
I guess I'm at the point where I'm done (boomer thread??) with the towering racks of stereo gear, but I still enjoy a movie from time to time, and enjoy the surround sound experience.

Here's what I want to do.......get rid of all my stuff, and replace with a good sound bar.   I know I won't get the "total" surround sound experience, but at this point in life, that's ok.

I don't have internet or wifi or anything, but I do have a newer Sony bluray player with bluetooth, and since I'm hardly ever home anyway, this is good enuf for me.

I simply want to bluetooth the sound to the soundbar, but how do I utilize my 2 powered subwoofers I already have?   Or just buy a soundbar with a separate subwoofer and be done with it?    I really want decent bass, tho.

thoughts?
Link Posted: 2/10/2023 10:44:43 AM EDT
[#1]
If you can still stay somewhat conventional, Parasound makes the Z Custom series of compact amps/preamps. Teac makes or did make a nice stackable compact system. There are some other brands that also have compact components; IE Peachtree Audio. Take a look at Emotiva direct sales. Also, search through the appropriate videos of CHEAP AUDIO MAN on Youtube.

I think you will want/need the control that a real preamp gives.
Link Posted: 2/10/2023 5:47:34 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By vmax84:
I guess I'm at the point where I'm done (boomer thread??) with the towering racks of stereo gear, but I still enjoy a movie from time to time, and enjoy the surround sound experience.

Here's what I want to do.......get rid of all my stuff, and replace with a good sound bar.   I know I won't get the "total" surround sound experience, but at this point in life, that's ok.

I don't have internet or wifi or anything, but I do have a newer Sony bluray player with bluetooth, and since I'm hardly ever home anyway, this is good enuf for me.

I simply want to bluetooth the sound to the soundbar, but how do I utilize my 2 powered subwoofers I already have?   Or just buy a soundbar with a separate subwoofer and be done with it?    I really want decent bass, tho.

thoughts?
View Quote
I'd at least use HDMI ARC or eARC to go from your TV to a good Sound Bar.

I have all my Sources (Roku, 4K DVD, Xbox, etc) connected via HDMI into the TV, then TV outputs via HDMI to my Klipish Sound Bar, Then sound bar has a wireless connection to my Amplified sub, not sure if it Bluetooth or some proprietary link.

The Sound bar itself and Sub, both have Aux RCA outs to link up one or more Subs.

I prefer the source cables between the source units and tv/receiver to be HDMI vs Bluetooth. For various reason.

Link Posted: 2/14/2023 8:46:05 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By vmax84:

thoughts?
View Quote

I would recommend getting a pair of powered studio monitors, and utilizing your existing 2 subs for 2.2 system. If you want BT capability, just get a dongle, or if your TV has casting abilities, use that instead.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top