Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/25/2020 1:29:42 PM EDT
It’s time for a new truck, and I’m seeking input from ARFCOM! Please help me make up my mind.

Here are the rules:

Dodge or Ford (I want the solid front axle)
3/4 ton or bigger
Gas or diesel

It will tow approximately 7200 lbs about 6-7 times a year. Longest tow trip could be 12-14 hours one way but the average trip is around 2-3 hours.

It will also tow a 20’ boat about 8-10 times a year.

Other than that, a daily driver that will only be driven every other week. Of course, there is the every weekend Home Depot or nursery trip.

I thought I was dead-set on a diesel, but looking at the numbers of the gassers has me wondering...

Given the parameters, what would you choose?
Link Posted: 5/25/2020 1:43:38 PM EDT
[#1]
My first and only recommendation would be to test drive the RAM and the Ford and see which you find more suitable in terms of comfort, features, technology, etc., and then narrow it down from there.  I'm not going to vote because I have no experience doing what you need the truck to do so my opinion isn't worth much in regards to real life experience.
Link Posted: 5/25/2020 1:52:45 PM EDT
[#2]
Yeah, everyone's tastes/preferences are different. Contrary to the Kool-aid drinking fan boys, all of the big 3 make pretty damn good trucks.  For me, a 6.4 Ram 2500 would be at the top of my list.
Link Posted: 5/25/2020 2:04:38 PM EDT
[#3]
Isn’t the new Ford 7.3 gas supposed to be good?
Link Posted: 5/25/2020 2:51:29 PM EDT
[#4]
I appreciate everyone's feedback so far!  As far as the interior goes, I can do just about anything other than all the bells and whistles.  I love the interior of the Tradesman, but at the same time, its kinda bland.  But I definitely can l do without all the goodies.

I hear great things about both the 6.4 and the new 7.3.  I like the fact you can get the Ford with the 10 speed transmission.

Guess it's time to go for some test drives!
Link Posted: 5/25/2020 3:20:55 PM EDT
[#5]
Dude....It's your truck.  Get which ever one YOU like best.  As mentioned above they all make good trucks these days with an occasional lemon thrown in the mix.
Link Posted: 5/25/2020 3:27:44 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Dude....It's your truck.  Get which ever one YOU like best.  As mentioned above they all make good trucks these days with an occasional lemon thrown in the mix.
View Quote

I get that, I just threw this out there to see if there was a preference from the people who cruise the ARFCOM Cars and Bikes thread.

At this point, I would be happy with either brand or engine.

And I agree, I think the big 3 all produce a good product.  My current truck is a Chevy but the family has outgrown the extended cab and I don’t want to put money into a stronger drivetrain or more power.  It’s been a great truck for me but I’m not a fan of the IFS. Bought it with 7 miles on it in 2007 and well, it’s just time to upgrade.
Link Posted: 5/25/2020 4:12:16 PM EDT
[#7]
Diesel. Delete it.  Enjoy.

I have a 14 Ram diesel, love it.
Link Posted: 5/25/2020 7:06:37 PM EDT
[#8]
Get a ram, cummins, big horn package with the bucket seats and the large u connect screen.
Link Posted: 5/25/2020 7:37:52 PM EDT
[#9]
Dodge Ram beats BMW and Mercedes for top luxury spot according to Detroit Free Press.

link

My daughter just leased one of these.     Excellent ride.
Link Posted: 5/25/2020 8:27:17 PM EDT
[#10]
I read some rumors that the HD RAMs may get Allison transmissions next year.
Link Posted: 5/26/2020 11:44:26 AM EDT
[#11]
Ford with the 7.3. You won’t have the diesel bro coolness but you’ll have a cheaper purchase and maintenance cost.
Link Posted: 5/26/2020 12:02:31 PM EDT
[#12]
Ford Diesel
Link Posted: 5/26/2020 12:09:26 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Ford with the 7.3. You won’t have the diesel bro coolness but you’ll have a cheaper purchase and maintenance cost.
View Quote

Yup, the 7.3 should be the reliability pick and overall cost winner as well. Ford has fine tuned the Powerstroke to near perfection, but you still have emissions

I've been blown away by how quick people have jumped on the "muh deeluxe inteerier" in the Rams. You realize the big ass screen won't work in 5 years, right?
Link Posted: 5/26/2020 5:00:53 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I read some rumors that the HD RAMs may get Allison transmissions next year.
View Quote

Same.  Im hanging on to my 14 until they have a new tranny
Link Posted: 5/26/2020 8:12:58 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Yup, the 7.3 should be the reliability pick and overall cost winner as well. Ford has fine tuned the Powerstroke to near perfection, but you still have emissions

I've been blown away by how quick people have jumped on the "muh deeluxe inteerier" in the Rams. You realize the big ass screen won't work in 5 years, right?
View Quote

7k LBS is half ton territory.  the 3/4 ton will handle it better absolutely....I vote Ford 7.3 Gas with the deepest gears you can get.
Link Posted: 5/30/2020 6:25:17 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

More like 5 months.  

Fiat/Chrysler is still junk of junk.  

OP, get a 1-ton.  

Zero point to a 3/4.
Link Posted: 5/30/2020 6:49:41 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 5/31/2020 8:38:50 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 5/31/2020 8:49:20 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Yeah, everyone's tastes/preferences are different. Contrary to the Kool-aid drinking fan boys, all of the big 3 make pretty damn good trucks.  For me, a 6.4 Ram 2500 would be at the top of my list.
View Quote

Agree with this. Pick your flavor. I went with RAM bc the interior was just so much nicer and I like the hemp. I haven’t had problems but I don’t use it hard either.
Link Posted: 5/31/2020 8:51:49 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 5/31/2020 9:18:25 AM EDT
[#21]
I love my 6.7 powerstroke but my next will be the 7.3 gas. Diesel is super cool but my fascination with it has ended. I just hope to get rid of it before the diesel tax comes due.
Link Posted: 6/2/2020 8:48:07 AM EDT
[#22]
You can do all of that towing easily with an f150 ecoboost.
Link Posted: 6/3/2020 7:26:50 AM EDT
[#23]
The Ford with the new 7.3 gas engine would be my first choice.
Link Posted: 6/3/2020 8:28:43 AM EDT
[#24]
7.3 gas, even the 6.2s have had a great run. Too much on the deisel to fail unless deleted and they can get costly. As far as dodge vs ford drive both and see what you like
Link Posted: 6/5/2020 7:52:54 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Isn’t the new Ford 7.3 gas supposed to be good?
View Quote
Ford has done testing of these out to 500,000 miles and claims they are reliable.  You can get 4.30 gears and with the 10 speed automatic you will not see a change in mileage that matters
Link Posted: 6/5/2020 8:25:33 AM EDT
[#26]
F350
4.30 gears
Tremor package if you like
Supercharger
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top