Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/12/2022 7:12:47 PM EDT
I've been running a Dell G3 laptop for a few years. A year or so back I updated it to 32 GB ram & went from a 128 GB M.2 SSD/1 TB HDD to a 1 TB. M.2 SSD/1 TB HDD.  It handles my stuff pretty well. But here lately fan noise is a recurring thing & frequent cleaning  gets to be a pain with short lived benefits (I leave the machine running 24/7).  Anyway, I decided to pick up a tower pc as a replacement & will retire the laptop for more occasional use (& light gaming when a g'child comes over)

I ordered an MSI Codex R machine via costco. It is configured with a 12th gen i7-12700F cpu,  32 GB DDR4 ram,  1TB M.2 SSD + 2 TB HDD and a NVIDIA GeForce GTX 3060 graphics card with 12 GB, all in a gaming style case with lots of cooling fans.  The package includes corded "gaming" keyboard & mouse.  I'll continue to use my current HDMI monitor. Not sure if I will add yet another UPS or feed it from the larger of the UPS units feeding a printer.

A bit of overkill, but why not?

ETA: price was $1500, would probably have spent close to that if self building with quality components & wouldn't have the two year warranty.
-corrected CPU typo-

ETA:  found out about black friday pricing on 11/25, $400 off
Link Posted: 11/12/2022 8:36:05 PM EDT
[#1]
That'll run Star Citizen well.
Link Posted: 11/12/2022 9:10:27 PM EDT
[#2]
Sounds like a reasonable price for a prebuilt. Don't know if you've built yourself but if you haven't, it's really easy. If you can put together an AR, you can put together a computer! I think you'll enjoy the performance and comparable lack of heat and noise from a desktop.
Link Posted: 11/12/2022 9:32:55 PM EDT
[#3]
Wow, didn't realize 21st gen i7s were out yet.

I have the 12700, great processor.

My prebuilt had DDR5 which I liked. I bought an XPS back in July. Paid $839 for it, can't remember which video card it has. Nvidia of some flavor but not a particularly impressive one.

Runs SolidWorks on a 49" without issue. Only reason I bought the PC was SW and DaVinci Resolve.
Link Posted: 11/12/2022 10:12:25 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Wow, didn't realize 21st gen i7s were out yet.

I have the 12700, great processor.

My prebuilt had DDR5 which I liked. I bought an XPS back in July. Paid $839 for it, can't remember which video card it has. Nvidia of some flavor but not a particularly impressive one.

Runs SolidWorks on a 49" without issue. Only reason I bought the PC was SW and DaVinci Resolve.
View Quote

oops. transposed a couple of digits ..
Link Posted: 11/13/2022 12:31:17 PM EDT
[#5]
Canceled the Costco order. Found out it will be black Friday priced at $1100 Nov 25
Link Posted: 11/13/2022 7:34:19 PM EDT
[#6]
----  screwup deleted -----
Link Posted: 11/14/2022 11:20:33 AM EDT
[#7]
The cancel did not happen quick enough, package was shipped & arriving tomorrow.

I think I will keep the box unopened until I get a sucessful order placed on 11/24.   If I get the sale price on a new order, I'll take the unopened box in for return.
Link Posted: 11/19/2022 3:26:01 PM EDT
[#8]
I wonder if you could call in and talk to customer service. It seems to me they would rather you just keep the one you have, then buy another one and return this one.
Link Posted: 11/19/2022 7:51:48 PM EDT
[#9]
A little paranoid about counting on getting the adjustment. They say a purchase within 30 days of a price change can have a price adjustment. You can't "apply" until the price change occurs & then wait for a review of your application.  Not sure why they might deny, but if they did & the machine is sold out by the time I get the denial, I lose out on $400.

ETA. I'll call CS Monday & see if they can assure me an adjustment will be made and go from there.
Link Posted: 11/20/2022 2:09:13 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
A little paranoid about counting on getting the adjustment. They say a purchase within 30 days of a price change can have a price adjustment. You can't "apply" until the price change occurs & then wait for a review of your application.  Not sure why they might deny, but if they did & the machine is sold out by the time I get the denial, I lose out on $400.

ETA. I'll call CS Monday & see if they can assure me an adjustment will be made and go from there.
View Quote
I think I'd go with your original plan
Link Posted: 11/21/2022 4:32:53 PM EDT
[#11]
Did some more reading & finally decided to trust the price adjustment process.  

Went ahead and got started with setup & file transfers. Impressive build quality on the system. The fans are pretty much silent even up close. I'm using a crossover Ethernet cable & manual IP assignment for the transfers. Seeing about a 90MB/sec  transfer rate.
Link Posted: 11/23/2022 9:51:26 PM EDT
[#12]
The new machine functions well & is pretty quiet. Not much in the way of already loaded bloatware. Was able to just say no to the MS apps & subscriptions but had to uninstall a trial install of Norton (& then manually root out the Norton downloader that survived the uninstall). MSI add-ons can be loaded, but its a users choice thing.

The mouse and keyboard have a good feel. Programs start and run noticeably faster than the G3, just having run the vs code marlin compiler and building/running a Minecraft server jar.

I've been loading fresh versions of content, including the personal version of fusion 360 & 3d print related stuff.
Link Posted: 11/24/2022 1:07:06 PM EDT
[#13]
Just as well I went the price adjustment route, when I checked this AM they were already sold out
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top