Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/20/2021 1:40:38 PM EDT
Our company is finally moving into more modern development systems. Unfortunately, I've been lazy over the years and have not been keeping up with the development world and have fallen behind on my CE.

The first issue is that my training is a combination of OTJ learning and a patchwork of study. This means there are holes in my knowledge but that I'm not sure where all of the holes are. The second issue is the holes I do know about.

Personal background: My knowledge of basic development, OOP, C#, and xaml are pretty good.
Company background: We currently use WPF and are going to go to web-based development in the next programming cycle.

Known holes: Due to the aforementioned laziness, my study habits have degraded substantially so I don't pick things up as well as before. My knowledge of how we develop in a MVVM environment is good, but my best practices knowledge is minimal. The biggest issue is I don't have the overall understanding to be able to know the starting point or best technology to use to solve new issues.

How you can help me:

1) Is there a good overall test that I can take that would help me identify the holes in my knowledge of development?
2) Is there a good online course that I can use to fill those holes? The online course I've found are either very basic "Hello World" type or seem to start far beyond my current capacity. IOW, I need programming 201/301 and all I can find is 087 or 401.

Resources: Budget of $500, timeline of 1 year.

tl;dr: I need to grok programming again.
Link Posted: 3/21/2021 11:33:29 PM EDT
[#1]
Check out Coursera. There are almost always development classes going on for little to no cost. All of which are sponsored or taught by notable universities including MIT, Harvard, Michigan, etc.
Link Posted: 3/22/2021 5:07:55 AM EDT
[#2]
I've had good luck with taking classes from Udemy to fill knowledge gaps.

This doesn't help you figure out where your gaps are though.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top