Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/23/2021 8:12:49 PM EDT
Sigma 70-200 f/2.8

Thinking seriously about this lens. The Nikon is over $2k, I can't afford that, sadly. The Tamron falls a bit short on specs when compared to the Sigma.

Can someone tell me what the large knob that sticks out is for? Some sort of a lock?

Attachment Attached File

Update: Pulled the trigger this morning. I used B&H's "Payboo" card, which lets me not pay sales tax, a savings of $140 or so.  

Free shipping saves another $30 or so. Lens was on sale for $130 or so less than normal. So I was able to save $275 or so off of regular price. That might get me a 20rd box of .308?  

I'm going to try this lens as my primary for local high school spring sports & for the kayakers in the local rivers. The local newspaper sponsors an annual calendar photo contest & I want to try some of my shots for that.

Thanks for all whom chimed in with opinions. While I can speak well about most guns, I'm still in the lower end of the learning curve with photography. I hope to soon know enough to be dangerous.  
Link Posted: 3/23/2021 8:54:44 PM EDT
[#1]
The big knob is a tripod shoe collar lock.  

I haven't looked at the reviews of that specific lens.  But from my experience Tamron makes some good budget lenses.  

I have been happy with my tamron purchases.  

I'm a moron.  I better grab another drink...  

Sigma has got some good lenses also.  

I see lots of good reviews out there on some of their lenses.  

Do your research.  

Link Posted: 3/23/2021 9:52:52 PM EDT
[#2]
I’m a big fan of Sigma since buying one off an Arfcommer. Still love it and use it. I’m hoping to buy a new one for my Sony.
Link Posted: 3/23/2021 10:07:58 PM EDT
[#3]
I have the last generation of that lens and love it on my D7500. It's awesome. My wife dropped it in a parking lot a couple of years ago going to a hockey game. Sigma was great about repairing it quickly for a great price.  Their customer support was awesome. I would highly recommend it.
Link Posted: 3/24/2021 1:53:15 AM EDT
[#4]
I saw a documentary on NHK-tv(JPN's version of the US' PBS) and they are quite conscious about quality. One of the  few Japanese companies that actually manufacture in Japan. I thinking of getting their Sigma 16 F/1.4 for my Sony A6600. All of my Sony lenses are made in China, FWIW.
Link Posted: 3/24/2021 2:02:53 AM EDT
[#5]
I have an older Sigma 70-200 along with several other Sigma lenses. Had really good luck with them, I think you'll be pleased. As previously mentioned the knob is the rotation lock for the tripod collar. From the looks of it it's the same design as my 50-100, where the tripod collar is not removable.
Link Posted: 3/24/2021 3:24:51 AM EDT
[#6]
The Sigma ART lenses are fantastic.

My 70-200 f2.8 (canon) is my favorite lens.
Link Posted: 3/24/2021 4:22:38 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

My 70-200 f2.8 (canon) is my favorite lens.
View Quote

I have heard almost exclusively that the art series is great.  

Link Posted: 3/24/2021 8:50:25 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

Differences between "art" lenses & regular ones?
Link Posted: 3/24/2021 9:05:38 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I haven't looked at the reviews of that specific lens.  But from my experience Tamron makes some good budget lenses.  

Do your research.  

View Quote

Almost certainly right about the tripod lock.

I have not had such great results from Tamron lenses (admittedly it's been 2 decades since I had one).
Sigma seems to get pretty good reviews.
Although I am inclined to think that if you're used to Nikon glass, you run a high risk of disappointing results with other brands.
I am that way about using Canon L series lenses. Every time I stray, I get surprised at the difference.
But that's just my opinion.
Link Posted: 3/24/2021 9:47:58 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Art lenses offer better sharpness and usually better bokeh than regular lenses.
Link Posted: 3/24/2021 9:49:35 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I have not had such great results from Tamron lenses (admittedly it's been 2 decades since I had one).
Although I am inclined to think that if you're used to Nikon glass, you run a high risk of disappointing results with other brands.
I am that way about using Canon L series lenses. Every time I stray, I get surprised at the difference.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Do your research.  

See if you can’t rent or check out a Sigma lens for Canon. The Canon shooters I know love Sigma glass as well as Canon, for example. I’m coming from a Nikon background and love Sigma.

edit: Not trying to sway opinions, just letting you know what my experience is.
Link Posted: 3/24/2021 1:55:47 PM EDT
[#12]
If I were looking at a high quality 70-200 lens, I would definatley be giving that Sigma a look.    It's about $1000 cheaper than the Nikon glass.   Am sure the Nikon is a bit better, but a thousand dollars better???!!!!      Not sure on that.

I really wolud like the new generation Nikon lens, but even refurbished, they are still $2k.    Currently using a a 3 year old Tamron 70-200mm f/2.8 G2, and for the most part, have been VERY happy with it.   Not convinced it is as sharp as the top of the line Nikon lens, but, if I do my part, I can get some really nice pics out of it and I can always sharpen the pics up a bit in post processing if need be.

If you get that Sigma, would look forward to your review of it.

Here's a pic I took a few nights ago with my Nikon D750 and Tamron.   The Tamron has 3 modes of stabilizatin (that work very well) and I had it in "panning" mode for this pic.    F/2.8, ISO was "High 3" (whatever that means...........hardly any light with to work with), and I had followed along with the take off and the shutter was at 1/25th.    Amazed how well the pic turned out with no light, super high ISO, and shutter speed so low on an object hauling ass.  
Link Posted: 3/24/2021 2:04:15 PM EDT
[#13]
Don't know anything about that lens, but if I were going to switch over to mirrorless anytime soon (say, within the next year or two), I wouldn't invest another nickel in F mount lenses.  I know the adapters are good, but to me, one appeal of the mirrorless cameras, is the smaller size and weight.  I don't see any reason to add that extra mass back on, in the form of an adapter.  I'd be saving for the future (mirrorless lenses).  

I don't have any intention of trading my D850 in for mirrorless anytime soon, and I'm already out of the market for F mount lenses.  I'm just an amateur, and can get by fine with what I have.  A working pro would surely think differently, though.

Link Posted: 3/24/2021 5:01:32 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

See if you can’t rent or check out a Sigma lens for Canon. The Canon shooters I know love Sigma glass as well as Canon, for example. I’m coming from a Nikon background and love Sigma.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Do your research.  

I will poke around, although I'm not looking to get another lens at the moment - that can change easily though. I'm sure you know the feeling.
Link Posted: 3/24/2021 5:05:59 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I will poke around, although I'm not looking to get another lens at the moment - that can change easily though. I'm sure you know the feeling.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Do your research.  

Oh yes. I am itching to get a new lens. That Sigma Art 24-70.
Link Posted: 3/24/2021 6:39:39 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Do your research.  

Nikon makes good glass.

No argument from me on the part in red.  

While I have been happy with both my old Tamron 200-500 on my nikon and my tamron 150-600 on my a77ii.

Once I went with Sony G glass I will be hard to look elsewhere.  

Link Posted: 3/24/2021 7:33:59 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Do your research.  

I already have the Canon L 24-70 so that niche is filled.
Link Posted: 3/24/2021 7:40:24 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Nikon makes good glass.

While I have been happy with both my old Tamron 200-500 on my nikon and my tamron 150-600 on my a77ii.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Do your research.  

Nikon makes good glass.

Just for the record, I am not a fan boy of Canon, Nikon, or Hasselblad.
In fact, I'm really not fond of Hasselblad, despite having been issued and required to use one (or maybe because of that).
Sony has made serious inroads in the camera equipment market for sure.
And if handed one and asked to use it, I'm sure I'd like it just fine.
But my camera requirements are about 90% met with my current system, the exception being my lust for the Canon Macro L 180mm.
But it would fill a small niche in my equipment.
Link Posted: 3/24/2021 8:09:20 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Do your research.  

Luckyyyyy

I still need my first dedicated full frame lens.
Link Posted: 3/24/2021 8:18:56 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote

I own several Sigma lenses & am happy with all of them. I buy them with no hesitation if they're in the config I need/want.

I too was disappointed with the Tamron line. They're much cheaper than Sigma for a reason, IMO.

My question wasn't so much about Sigma but this specific lens.
Link Posted: 3/24/2021 8:22:22 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Don't know anything about that lens, but if I were going to switch over to mirrorless anytime soon (say, within the next year or two), I wouldn't invest another nickel in F mount lenses.
View Quote

To be honest, this lens is about the only hole left in my lens arsenal. I've got most everything else covered, finally.

I'm in no hurry at all for mirrorless, especially since the Nikon models lag way behind other brands.
Link Posted: 3/24/2021 8:36:04 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote

The 24-70 f2.8 L II is my second favorite lens.  Love the thing.

The 100mm f2.8 L Macro is quickly gaining favor with me though.  My first prime lens.

Link Posted: 3/24/2021 8:40:17 PM EDT
[#23]
It’s a very good lens and I think you’ll be extremely happy with it. The Nikon is better but the difference is marginal and not worth it unless you make your living shooting.
Link Posted: 3/24/2021 9:12:14 PM EDT
[#24]
The 70-200mm is easily my most fav lens.    It does sooooooo many things well.

If I had to throw all my lenses out, and only keep one, the 70-200mm would stay.    Wouldn't even have to think about it.

Link Posted: 3/24/2021 9:31:51 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

I own several Sigma lenses & am happy with all of them. I buy them with no hesitation if they're in the config I need/want.

I too was disappointed with the Tamron line. They're much cheaper than Sigma for a reason, IMO.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

OK
Link Posted: 3/24/2021 9:57:51 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

A quick search says people are very happy with that specific lens.  The BH reviews are also pretty overwhelmingly good.  

Fro tests the Canon mount version.  
SIGMA 70-200 2.8 Sports REVIEW vs Canon 70-200 2.8L IS III - Is the CHEAPER Lens Actually BETTER?
Link Posted: 3/25/2021 1:42:11 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
It’s a very good lens and I think you’ll be extremely happy with it. The Nikon is better but the difference is marginal and not worth it unless you make your living shooting.
View Quote

This.  The Nikon FL version is a monster, BUT the Sigma will win compared to the Nikon G VRII lens.  I'm a huge Nikon fan, but at the price point Sigma is a win hands down for the lens.

I actually sold my 99% condition Nikon 70-200mm f/2.8 a few days ago.  Even on my D850 it worked fantastic, I just only used it once or twice a year so I couldn't justify it when I was offered more than I paid for it.
Link Posted: 3/25/2021 9:45:16 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Luckyyyyy

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Do your research.  

Luckyyyyy

All my lenses are full frame. It's not luck, it was just a choice I made 20 years ago when my film cameras were dieing and digital SLR became an option.
Granted, it's an expensive choice. The only non-L lens I have is the Canon 100mm macro.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top