Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/22/2020 1:09:26 PM EDT
I don’t like desktops, I live in cramped quarters at the moment and don’t really have space to devote to a gaming area with a dedicated desk and monitor.

I don’t need cutting edge. I mostly play Guild Wars 2 and would like to play more Elder Scrolls but it doesn’t play well on my MacBook Pro from 2015. That and I might wish to play some Everquest 2 again and that doesn’t run on a Mac.

BJ’s has this for $599.99. NewEgg’s price is $799 and Best Buy is $840. Price wise it is in my wheelhouse, it should run the older games more than adequately. How would the specs run the newer games?

Specs Here
Link Posted: 5/22/2020 1:27:08 PM EDT
[#1]
It's a good buy if you can get it for $600. The graphics card should be able to handle Elder Scrolls with out dropping the framerate to something unacceptable. The solid state drive is a good deal, that should help the performance. The RAM can be expanded out to 32 GB, so you should be good for awhile with that. Note that you'll have to buy 2 16 GB sticks and remove the existing memory to get it to 32 GB.

According to this site, the GeForce GTX 1650 should be able to meet the recommended requirements (not just the minimum requirements) for the games that are out there.

https://www.systemrequirementslab.com/gpu-compare/11450/geforce-gtx-1650?compare=11442

As they say in GD, FO! :)
Link Posted: 5/22/2020 1:53:52 PM EDT
[#2]
My two year old laptop with the gtx1060 is doing fine so your pick is better and you’ll be fine
Link Posted: 5/22/2020 2:45:09 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks guys, snagged it.

Any recommendation for an affordable but quality RAM upgrade. I can add one 8GB stick to take it to 16GB, or go balls out and get two 16GB sticks.

From what I understand the hard drive is 128GB solid state and 1 TB SATA, so the boot and OS would be on the Solid State and the games themselves would reside on the SATA. Not sure how this would effect play.

Haven’t had a Windows machine in awhile, and generally buy my Macs a few years old.

The price seemed to be too good to be true, but the on-line reviews seemed solid, and your feedback is appreciated.

BJs gives 90 days to return it if not happy, so there is that.

Now I just need to see who has a gaming mouse in stock locally. Not many choices, probably Walmart or Staples as the rest of retail is pretty locked down. Best Buy is only curbside and I like to look at things before buying.
Link Posted: 5/22/2020 6:46:29 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Thanks guys, snagged it.

Any recommendation for an affordable but quality RAM upgrade. I can add one 8GB stick to take it to 16GB, or go balls out and get two 16GB sticks.

From what I understand the hard drive is 128GB solid state and 1 TB SATA, so the boot and OS would be on the Solid State and the games themselves would reside on the SATA. Not sure how this would effect play.

Haven’t had a Windows machine in awhile, and generally buy my Macs a few years old.

The price seemed to be too good to be true, but the on-line reviews seemed solid, and your feedback is appreciated.

BJs gives 90 days to return it if not happy, so there is that.

Now I just need to see who has a gaming mouse in stock locally. Not many choices, probably Walmart or Staples as the rest of retail is pretty locked down. Best Buy is only curbside and I like to look at things before buying.
View Quote

16gb of ram should be more then enough for anything that laptop will do. Personally I like buying a kit 2x8gb sticks to make sure they are a matching set.

As for storage, you are correct. 128gb really is a small drive bearly big enough for a OS and some programs. Would look into a 500/512gb m.2 ssd to replace it so you can put your game or two on there for faster load times.

Makr sure you watch teardown videos of that module laptop to give you an idea where the ram and ssd is. On mine I had to take the whole mother oard out for the ssd as it was basically between the keyboard and motherboard.
Link Posted: 5/22/2020 6:47:32 PM EDT
[#5]
Oo forgot to add the 128gb ssd you take out you can turn into a external storage if you buy an enclosure for it.
Link Posted: 5/22/2020 6:49:58 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Oo forgot to add the 128gb ssd you take out you can turn into a external storage if you buy an enclosure for it.
View Quote

Guys thanks for the suggestion, but I’m not tearing out the SSD and putting a larger one in. I bought this because it seemed a value, I’m not dumping a ton of money into it. A RAM upgrade is the extent I’d go to, and a gaming mouse. That’s it.
Link Posted: 6/3/2020 10:50:14 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

16gb of ram should be more then enough for anything that laptop will do. Personally I like buying a kit 2x8gb sticks to make sure they are a matching set.

As for storage, you are correct. 128gb really is a small drive bearly big enough for a OS and some programs. Would look into a 500/512gb m.2 ssd to replace it so you can put your game or two on there for faster load times.

Makr sure you watch teardown videos of that module laptop to give you an idea where the ram and ssd is. On mine I had to take the whole mother oard out for the ssd as it was basically between the keyboard and motherboard.
View Quote

RAM was an easy upgrade, took it up to 32GB for $120 on a NewEgg sale.

Thought about doing the SSD, but an IT friend recommended against it. Running a couple games on the SATA and they run fine.

RAM was definitely worth maxing out.
Link Posted: 6/3/2020 10:55:37 PM EDT
[#8]
what was your IT friend's reason behind no ssd?  just curious

Link Posted: 6/3/2020 11:13:42 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote

I’m no expert but I think he said Acer would charge to move the OS to the new drive or something like that. That was in addition to the cost of a new SSD. I’m running older games, so not really worth it I guess.
Link Posted: 6/10/2020 12:19:07 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote

And... I’m an idiot, the machine has two M2 SSD slots, one currently unused, I just ordered a 1TB Intel SSD for $112. I’m not really sure why I need 2TB and 32GB of RAM, but why not. I’m still into it for only about $850.
Link Posted: 6/10/2020 7:56:11 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

And... I’m an idiot, the machine has two M2 SSD slots, one currently unused, I just ordered a 1TB Intel SSD for $112. I’m not really sure why I need 2TB and 32GB of RAM, but why not. I’m still into it for only about $850.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sounds awesome. Yah what I meant before was to upgrade at home not have the manufacture add the large drive. But sounds like you got a lot of space and is set for the next few years.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top