Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/26/2018 11:55:37 PM EDT
Snap Chat seems to be the most popular social media platform for young people. My teenagers NEVER use Facebook, occasionally use Instagram but are on Snap Chat constantly. MY coworkers in their 20's are on it all day. I think its here to stay. It pretty cheap right now. Am i an idiot if i purchase a small amount like $1,000.00 worth as a gamble?
Link Posted: 11/27/2018 12:32:17 AM EDT
[#1]
You're late to the party, and their stock is down for a reason. They're trending up currently, especially during the holiday months. At 6 bux a share why not? Don't expect anything long term though.
Link Posted: 11/27/2018 8:08:39 AM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By @StevenH:
Am i an idiot if i purchase a small amount like $1,000.00 worth as a gamble?
View Quote
How do they (Snap chat) make money?
How will they grow their revenues?

Look hard at how your kids or whoever uses it.

Editorial:
Might be a soapbox or opinion but $1k to "gamble"? You'll be using the market as a place to gamble?

That's pretty baller if you are maxing out 401k's and Roth IRA's with no house note that you have $1k to just gamble with.

Why not buy a blue chip stock and let it grow? Why not by a $1k in a S&P500? etc
Link Posted: 11/27/2018 8:50:07 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You're late to the party, and their stock is down for a reason. They're trending up currently, especially during the holiday months. At 6 bux a share why not? Don't expect anything long term though.
View Quote
It’s still near it’s all time low, so not that late.

Snap has replaced phone calls, texting, email and Facebook for a generation of young people. It’s not going away soon
Link Posted: 11/27/2018 8:56:42 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Snap has replaced phone calls, texting, email and Facebook for a generation of young people. It’s not going away soon
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

People said that about facebook less than three years ago.
Link Posted: 11/27/2018 12:10:14 PM EDT
[#5]
It’s dead. And going to get worse.
Link Posted: 11/27/2018 12:15:30 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote
I get Snaps all day long, I don't think it's dead.
Link Posted: 11/27/2018 12:21:57 PM EDT
[#7]
can not be any worst than GE....

it is pretty beat up right now...

Red
Link Posted: 11/27/2018 1:11:30 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote
186million users. Most just entering the workforce to become good future consumers.
Link Posted: 11/27/2018 1:30:27 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
186million users. Most just entering the workforce to become good future consumers.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
That was also said about facebook 3 years ago.

When i became a real adult and started spending real money i gave up kid stuff.

If you believe it's a good buy then tell us why? We can discuss it.  Just like land,  it's not going away but that hardly makes it a good investment much like land is often a horrible investment.

In what tangible ways do you think they are a good buy for the future?
Link Posted: 11/27/2018 1:40:59 PM EDT
[#10]

View Quote
Let's do it, pull the trigger, you would be buying the dip.

It's down -1.5% today at $6.40. Imagine the payoff when it gets back to $21+.
Link Posted: 11/27/2018 1:50:36 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

If you believe it's a good buy then tell us why? We can discuss it.  Just like land,  it's not going away but that hardly makes it a good investment much like land is often a horrible investment.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It’s not like land. It’s like land in second life, remember that?
Link Posted: 11/27/2018 1:51:25 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Why do you think it will go back?  It’s been there before isn’t a good answer to that question
Link Posted: 11/27/2018 2:23:25 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By @Josh:

Why do you think it will go back?  It’s been there before isn’t a good answer to that question
View Quote
I don't. I think it's a bust and a dead end, for my own personal money. I don't give a flip if 1 billion people use a product. If you can't monetize the product, it's worthless besides the R&D and propriety development of said product.

Multiple people have given great consensus advice but the OP is looking for just 1 person to agree with him so he can "gamble".

Let's roll the dice baby, I agree with OP!
Link Posted: 11/27/2018 2:44:29 PM EDT
[#14]
The problem is that there’s nothing proprietary about SnapChat. Aside from supposedly disappearing dicktures, every cool filter they develop is copied by Instagram.

Most girls monetize SnapChat by posting nude pics and vids if you’re a sponsor/subscriber. I think it’s also a very age specific platform whereas Facebook and Instagram have a widely accepted accepted user base.

Going forward in 2019, I’ll continue to move my investments towards the healthcare sector. Obamacare will never be repealed, and premiums will continue to rise.
Link Posted: 11/27/2018 2:54:07 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I don't. I think it's a bust and a dead end, for my own personal money. I don't give a flip if 1 billion people use a product. If you can't monetize the product, it's worthless besides the R&D and propriety development of said product.

Multiple people have given great consensus advice but the OP is looking for just 1 person to agree with him so he can "gamble".

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Originally Posted By @Josh:

gotcha.  Missed the sarcasm.
Link Posted: 11/28/2018 11:09:25 AM EDT
[#16]
There are a lot of people using Snap. There are not a lot of people paying for features on Snap.
Link Posted: 12/31/2018 12:40:04 PM EDT
[#17]
I've been doing well shorting their stock and buying puts.

Everything I read about makes the company sound like they are going to flop any time.  I expect that they will get bought by someone else eventually.
Link Posted: 12/31/2018 12:47:34 PM EDT
[#18]
AOL is where the smart money is.
Link Posted: 1/1/2019 12:17:26 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I get Snaps all day long, I don't think it's dead.
View Quote
How old are you? Serious question.
Link Posted: 1/1/2019 12:19:20 AM EDT
[#20]
It's for hookers
Link Posted: 1/1/2019 8:57:27 PM EDT
[#21]
Most of the money has already been made by the time someone like you has the chance to invest.
Link Posted: 1/3/2019 10:41:12 AM EDT
[#22]
Yeah. And people thought blue apron  was “here to stay”

You know that social media is extremely volitile. There isn’t a massive barrier to entry and things change on a whim. Next generation may use something else. Could go the way of MySpace

“Just because it’s low. Doesn’t mean it can’t go lower”. Repeat that a few times.
Link Posted: 1/3/2019 11:52:25 AM EDT
[#23]
Apple is a good example. Around early September, Buffet was vocal about buying millions more shares, and it was about $220 at the time.

It’s in low $140 range right now.
Link Posted: 2/6/2019 12:34:24 PM EDT
[#24]
Might be time to sell and take my profits.
Link Posted: 2/6/2019 8:28:56 PM EDT
[#25]
It's funny to see my last post, and AAPL is in $170 range now. Over 20% gain in a month.
Link Posted: 3/14/2019 2:12:13 PM EDT
[#26]
$11.38 now, time to sell?
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 4:30:23 PM EDT
[#27]
Snapchat is not slowing down in popularity at this time. Everyone I know uses it, and they continue to come up with new features. Resistance at 10.30ish, but I can't see it moving much past 11.

I'm torn on this one, as I feel that I see everyone using it but I'm not sure how it will generate profit in the future unless being bought.
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 4:36:21 PM EDT
[#28]
Idk much about snapchat but I cringe when I hear all my friends talk about "snapping" lol.
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 6:41:10 PM EDT
[#29]
I had a snapper once.
Link Posted: 3/21/2019 12:52:13 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Snap Chat seems to be the most popular social media platform for young people. My teenagers NEVER use Facebook, occasionally use Instagram but are on Snap Chat constantly. MY coworkers in their 20's are on it all day. I think its here to stay. It pretty cheap right now. Am i an idiot if i purchase a small amount like $1,000.00 worth as a gamble?
View Quote
I know nothing about Snapchat to comment on the company BUT:

1)  By what measure are you figuring that it's cheap now or back when you posted it?  Share price by itself has absolutely nothing to do with whether a stock is cheap or expensive.  That is more of a function of how the share price compares to the fundamentals of the stock.

2)  You don't get rich by gambling.  You get rich by consistently making good decisions and having more turn out good than bad over the long run.  Maybe it worked out this time, but if there isn't sound logic behind the decisions you are making, it won't work out every time and you'll under perform over the long run.  The stock market done right is a get rich slowly scheme, don't ever forget that.

Just my 2 cents.  Once again, I know nothing about Snapchat so I'm not saying it is or isn't a good investment.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top