Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/8/2022 8:19:59 AM EDT
Saw a Gylcine automic Combat diver 42mm.  Anyone have one?  I don't know much about the brand.

Regards
Link Posted: 6/8/2022 8:44:49 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Saw a Gylcine automic Combat diver 42mm.  Anyone have one?  I don't know much about the brand.

Regards
View Quote

They were bought by Invicta a few years ago and switched from the ETA 2824 to the Sellita Sw200 movement.  Both are good, sturdy movements and are fairly similar in appearance.

If I were to buy one, I'd look for a pre-Invicta example.  Only because I remember Invicta as a shit watch company pumping out cheap and gaudy products.  I also believe them (pre-Invicta) to have collector value now and down the road.

That said, most owners are pleased with the Invicta-era watches.  I've not read any glaring reports of bad QC.
Link Posted: 6/8/2022 9:45:05 AM EDT
[#2]
Ha....other than they gaudy INVICTA stamped on the side of some of them, I really like my Invictas. Good daily wear. Save the tag and the Seiko for nicer occasions.
Link Posted: 6/8/2022 10:14:45 AM EDT
[#3]
How do they compare to a Seiko Propex?
Link Posted: 6/8/2022 10:29:40 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Ha....other than they gaudy INVICTA stamped on the side of some of them, I really like my Invictas. Good daily wear. Save the tag and the Seiko for nicer occasions.
View Quote

They've cleaned up their act on their higher-end models.

My opinion on fit/finish is based on the old Invicta of the late 90's.  When they were hawked on TV in the 2am time slot.  Cheap and chintzy case material, loud designs, no substance.

I feared they'd dilute the Glycine brand, but that hasn't been the case.  Invicta designs aren't for me, but they've made improvements in quality.

Link Posted: 6/8/2022 11:14:25 AM EDT
[#5]
I used to really lust after the Airman 17/18.  After the Invicta buy-out that feeling has waned, but I may one day revisit the brand and/or look for pre-Invicta models.  Right or wrong it's just a feeling....and another watch.
Link Posted: 6/8/2022 11:32:18 AM EDT
[#6]
How can you tell the older models from the current?
Link Posted: 6/8/2022 11:51:26 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
How can you tell the older models from the current?
View Quote

Pre-Invicta automatics had the ETA 2824 movement.  It has 25 jewels.

Invicta Glycines have the Sellita 200 movement.  It has 26 jewels.
Link Posted: 6/8/2022 11:55:27 AM EDT
[#8]
I have several and cannot complain for the price.
Link Posted: 6/8/2022 12:43:25 PM EDT
[#9]
https://www.costco.com/glycine-combat-sub-automatic-42mm-case-men's-watch.product.100721205.html
Link Posted: 6/8/2022 7:43:07 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
https://www.costco.com/glycine-combat-sub-automatic-42mm-case-men's-watch.product.100721205.html
View Quote

That is a nice looking watch, and NICE for the price.
Link Posted: 6/8/2022 11:43:03 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 6/8/2022 11:48:24 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I have that one and I really like it.  It was listed with the * on the tag denoting that it was supposed to be a one time order or something not coming back.  It’s since been reordered/restocked a bunch and the asterisk removed.  So they apparently are selling well enough to keep them coming.  

I really like mine.
View Quote

I got one of those. It's awesome except for the lume, which blows.

Link Posted: 6/9/2022 1:33:12 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 6/9/2022 1:59:22 AM EDT
[#14]
I had a Combat 6 43mm white dial watch. ETA movement, kept great time. Very handsome watch. Honestly no complaints except that it was a little big on my wrist and I was looking to do something else and watched to keep my collection in check. I paid $250 for it new and it was absolutely worth that price, a smoking deal for the quality in fact. It kept better time than similarly priced Seikos and I am a huge Seiko fanboy. Even with a Sellita 200 movement I wouldn't hesitate to buy again. Keep in mind this is for a slightly different model than you are looking at, but I was very impressed for the price.
Link Posted: 6/9/2022 2:08:24 AM EDT
[#15]
I have several, one of the best bangs for the buck in Swiss movement autos. I don’t wear them much and probably should thin the heard, but they are sharp and I don’t mind wearing them on occasions when I don’t want to risk damaging an Omega or Breitling, or am going somewhere I’m worried it might be stolen but still want something nicer than a Seiko on my wrist.
Link Posted: 6/9/2022 9:31:59 PM EDT
[#16]
I have two, an Airman 18 and a Combat 7 vintage. They're well built and keep time well, my only complaint is their lume isn't very good.
Link Posted: 6/11/2022 1:04:45 PM EDT
[#17]
I have a couple.

They are your most entry level basic Swiss auto diver.  Off the top of my head the next price point is around 500 bucks and Squale, Steinhart, Certina, Tissot, with some options.

Compared to a Seiko of similar price and style- which is essentially the turtle at this point-
You are looking at similar fit and finish, comparable movement quality, better crystal, a less tall height to diameter ratio, and worse Lume.

It’s sort of like-
Do you want a 70K turbo V6 Acura MDX or a 70K Mercedes GLE 450?

Which of the two is better.
I like the Lume on the turtle better.  I love the looks of the turtle.  I like the Lesser height of the glycine better.

If you are looking at a $1000 Seiko, you can find other Swiss at that price point to consider, etc.

Link Posted: 6/11/2022 6:58:35 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I have a couple.

They are your most entry level basic Swiss auto diver.  Off the top of my head the next price point is around 500 bucks and Squale, Steinhart, Certina, Tissot, with some options.

Compared to a Seiko of similar price and style- which is essentially the turtle at this point-
You are looking at similar fit and finish, comparable movement quality, better crystal, a less tall height to diameter ratio, and worse Lume.

It’s sort of like-
Do you want a 70K turbo V6 Acura MDX or a 70K Mercedes GLE 450?

Which of the two is better.
I like the Lume on the turtle better.  I love the looks of the turtle.  I like the Lesser height of the glycine better.

If you are looking at a $1000 Seiko, you can find other Swiss at that price point to consider, etc.

View Quote

Pretty spot on.
Link Posted: 6/11/2022 7:02:36 PM EDT
[#19]
Not a diver,
Link Posted: 6/24/2022 11:52:39 PM EDT
[#20]
I have four different Combat Subs.  The one I wear the most just gets the ever loving crap beaten out of it.  Runs like a champ!
GL0288, I think.  Brown on brown on bronze.

Link Posted: 7/2/2022 7:10:19 AM EDT
[#21]
I have the same brown on bronze, makes an interesting appearance.
Also have a grey dial with red bezel.
I like them both. Certainly not the quality of my Sea Dweller or President, but no where near the price or the worry.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top