Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/6/2019 9:59:20 PM EDT
I’m not a mason, but over 4th of July holiday, I went through Lincoln, New Mexico. While there I stopped by the famous Lincoln County Courthouse where Billy the kid made one of his escapes from, in the process he killed 2 deputy’s.

Anyway, before it was a courthouse it was the Murphy-Dolan store. Murphy was an avid Mason. He used part of the store as a lodge, which they recreated as it would have looked back then. I took some pictures & I thought you guys would like to see them. Not sure how many of you guys knew this already.

Lodge would be in the top 3 right hand windows in that first picture. Building faces Northeastish.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Not my pics: sign out front of the courthouse

Courthouse in 1880

L. G. Murphy
Link Posted: 8/6/2019 10:23:47 PM EDT
[#1]
Thanks. It's good to see the actual building that I had to use my imagination's rendition of when I read the story in my teen years. The real building looks nothing like my imagined one. But the story was no less dramatic because of the imagined building. The sepiatoned photo has rekindled my desire to read that historical story again.
Link Posted: 8/8/2019 12:12:15 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Thanks. It's good to see the actual building that I had to use my imagination's rendition of when I read the story in my teen years. The real building looks nothing like my imagined one. But the story was no less dramatic because of the imagined building. The sepiatoned photo has rekindled my desire to read that historical story again.
View Quote
Glad you enjoyed it.

If you ever get the chance, New Mexico is beautiful. Lots of history here too.
Link Posted: 8/8/2019 1:31:58 PM EDT
[#3]
I guess it's the Senior Warden's job to tend the fire!
Link Posted: 8/8/2019 2:09:38 PM EDT
[#4]
Pretty cool stuff op.
Link Posted: 8/8/2019 8:37:31 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 8/8/2019 9:07:11 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Pretty cool stuff op.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Pretty cool stuff op.

Quoted:
If Grand Lodge Communication is in Albuquerque next year maybe I will stay an extra day and drive over.
About a 3 hour drive.

Also, in that last picture of mine I posted. Don’t know if you could tell, but that’s the original floor of the building. They have laid plywood down for the walking paths.

Bonus thing. In my picture of the whole courthouse, you’ll notice a little white rectangular piece on the far, bottom left hand side. That’s the marker for where Billy the Kid shot & killed Officer Bob Olinger out of the second story window just above that spot.
Link Posted: 8/8/2019 10:02:27 PM EDT
[#7]
Welcome to Lincoln County.
Link Posted: 8/13/2019 1:04:04 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks for posting. That's a great piece of history.
Link Posted: 8/14/2019 2:53:23 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Thanks for posting. That's a great piece of history.
View Quote
Link Posted: 8/16/2019 7:03:29 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I guess it's the Senior Warden's job to tend the fire!
View Quote
If the winters get cold, every member would want to be SW
Link Posted: 2/17/2020 8:58:19 AM EDT
[#11]
lol the most coveted seat during the winter!
Well, that or possibly the Tyler
Link Posted: 2/17/2020 2:52:08 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I’m not a mason...
View Quote
Why not?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top