Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 5
Link Posted: 7/20/2021 10:23:23 PM EDT
[#1]
Canola oil, mixed with cheap ATF is my choice.

There may be a cheaper lube out there, but I haven't found it yet.
Link Posted: 7/20/2021 10:27:41 PM EDT
[#2]
I found that pretty much any oil works and I use what I have close by. My range bag contains a little bottle of Royal Purple that I bought from Ray’s Sporting Goods in Dallas when I was based there 20 years back (still has the sticker on it.) I use Mobil 1 in every vehicle I’ve owned for at least that many years so I’ve lubed a lot of guns with it. But I’ve also lubed a lot of guns with Mobil 254 and BP2380. It all seems to work just fine.
Link Posted: 7/20/2021 10:28:29 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 7/20/2021 10:29:43 PM EDT
[#4]
Mobil 1 is the best. It's the one everyone tries to beat.

Boutique oils and lubes are for fools and their money.
Link Posted: 7/20/2021 10:33:48 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 7/20/2021 10:35:56 PM EDT
[#6]
I use Mobil 1 for a variety or reasons, not the least of which is because it is what I have on hand for my truck.  Sure, we've had Mobil 1 equiv explode at work, but firearms applications are way more benign, so it's no problemo.
Link Posted: 7/20/2021 10:38:58 PM EDT
[#7]
https://www.frfrogspad.com/homemade.htm#Oil

This guy is the yoda on the topic.
Link Posted: 7/20/2021 10:41:33 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I pour the dregs from each 5qt jug into a bottle. As in, I let the 5qt jug drip into a container when done dumping it in an engine.

So far, I'm up to a quart of Mobil 1, Castrol Magnatec, Quaker State whatever, 5w20, 5w30, mix. It works!
View Quote

Yup this is basically what I do.
Link Posted: 7/20/2021 10:44:51 PM EDT
[#9]
Because the Redline I use in the caddy is too expensive...
Link Posted: 7/20/2021 10:45:06 PM EDT
[#10]
The only reason I use M1 on my guns is because I use it in my vehicles. It's nearby so it's convenient. I'm sure any synthetic oil would be good. I've never had an issue with it on guns. Thus, I'm of the opinion it works fine.
Link Posted: 7/20/2021 10:47:45 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
And when it vaporizes it’s a cancer mist....
View Quote

any truth to this with synthetic?
Link Posted: 7/20/2021 10:51:35 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I use actual Mobil 1. I have no reason other than always having it on hand, because it's what I use in my car. I just buy one extra bottle while I'm there, which is good for...oh...3 years or so. I don't even know. I've probably misplaced a bottle more often than I've actually used all of it.

It's also one of those "It's worked for the past 15 years, so I'm not inclined to fix it" sort of things. It's a solved problem, in my mind. I don't think about it anymore.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Didnt want to hijack Whiskers thread.

Lots of people say they use Mobil1 for a gun lube.

My question is are you really that brand loyal or is it just easier than saying automotive oil?

You convinced me a long while to use auto oil but I dont use Mobil1 (I have the poors) my bottle has the dregs of whatever oil I found on sale.
I use actual Mobil 1. I have no reason other than always having it on hand, because it's what I use in my car. I just buy one extra bottle while I'm there, which is good for...oh...3 years or so. I don't even know. I've probably misplaced a bottle more often than I've actually used all of it.

It's also one of those "It's worked for the past 15 years, so I'm not inclined to fix it" sort of things. It's a solved problem, in my mind. I don't think about it anymore.

You're not alone, the marketing team is well aware of what adding "synthetic" to the label does.

" SAE
(Society of Automotive Engineers) deleted any and all definitions of "synthetic" from all specifications relating to oils.

API
(American Petroleum Institute) never defined what "synthetic" is.

NAD
(National Advertising Division of the Council of Better Business Bureaus) ruled that "Synthetic" is a marketing term and that it is the responsibility of the Marketer (the one who labels and markets the oil) to define what it is. "

"Synthetic Religion

The "synthetic" oil business is regarded by many in the oil industry as a "religion" whose followers are holding a belief that "synthetic" is somehow superior, but lack the actual proof.

This "faith" is very profitable for all marketers of "synthetic" products, as they can charge substantially higher price when the term "synthetic" is incorporated in to the product description.

The information on following pages has been provided to enlighten the average consumer of Motor Oil, Gear Oil, ATF (Automatic Transmission Fluid) and Grease with information, which is seldom made publicly available by the oil industry. "

https://synlube.com/synthetic.html
Link Posted: 7/20/2021 10:52:02 PM EDT
[#13]
I use it in my vehicles and it doesn't stink so much, so my gatts, shotties and heaters get what is left over.
Link Posted: 7/20/2021 10:58:49 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
It doesn't do much to prevent rust, so that is why I'm not all for it.
View Quote

I live in the desert so mine don't rust, I keep a small squirt bottle of whatever oil or transmission fluid I have laying around and apply liberally when needed.

I use 15/40 on my 50 cal sometimes and turbo shaft lubricant on the gunner's coax machine gun if we run out of clp. It is a major bitch to clean but the guns will absolutely work matter the climate or conditions.
Link Posted: 7/20/2021 11:00:43 PM EDT
[#15]
Any full synthetic motor oil will work, I like 10W-30 Mobil One but my brother uses Pennzoil
Link Posted: 7/20/2021 11:00:48 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
We need Andrew from Vurwappen to chime in here about getting sued by fireclean?, which was only canola oil?  dude did a mass-spectrometer analysis and found out the lube was cooking oil
View All Quotes
Quoted:
We need Andrew from Vurwappen to chime in here about getting sued by fireclean?, which was only canola oil?  dude did a mass-spectrometer analysis and found out the lube was cooking oil

I used fireclean for a bit until I found several guns all gummed up from it. Something that is touted as bio-degradable will in fact degrade.
I't fine if you use it all the time and clean frequently but if you let it sit for any extended length of time it turns to a gummy sticky mess.

Quoted:
I use Lucas Extreme gun oil because it's EXTREME! Mobil1 doesn't say extreme, you all gonna die!

I use Slip 2000 EWL (Extreme Weapons Lube) because it's Extreme as well.
Link Posted: 7/20/2021 11:05:24 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I keep little cosmetic squirt bottles of Mobil 1 mixed with ATF for emergencies.

Lotta lube for the money.
View Quote

My version of as it was called Red's Oil has served me well, 1/3 Mobil 1, ATF synthetic (usually Mobil 1) and kerosene.

Have some guns that went over 6-7 years without rusting.

Tried many gun oils but never much more than a year before rust.
Link Posted: 7/21/2021 12:15:41 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I pour the dregs from each 5qt jug into a bottle. As in, I let the 5qt jug drip into a container when done dumping it in an engine.

So far, I'm up to a quart of Mobil 1, Castrol Magnatec, Quaker State whatever, 5w20, 5w30, mix. It works!
View Quote

Some years back, a member here claimed he was an oil change guy for a Chevy dealer, and rigged up a trough for all the oil change guys to drop the Mobil1 bottles in to drain. IIRC, he got some ridiculous amount of Mobil1 every month, to use for his own vehicles and weapons. I wish I was that smart. I just use the leftovers from the jug and I have more than I need.
Link Posted: 7/21/2021 12:16:44 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote

Oh God, I remember that. Does that make me old?
Link Posted: 7/21/2021 12:17:51 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 7/21/2021 12:27:02 AM EDT
[#21]
I just use regular gun oil but I do use 80/90 for butt stuff.
Link Posted: 7/21/2021 12:29:32 AM EDT
[#22]
The black rifle is a finicky bitch.

5w20 has never failed me, but I don't live in Alaska.

Link Posted: 7/21/2021 12:31:38 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I've used Mobil, Walmart oil, shell, atf, 2 stroke oil, bar oil, you name it. It's all the same. Put some slippery shit on your rifle and shoot it.
View Quote

I've wondered how well bar and chain oil would work since its super sticky compared to engine oil. Always have some on had but have never tried it.
Link Posted: 7/21/2021 12:36:02 AM EDT
[#24]
Actual Mobile One, different weights.  I use it in three vehicles, four outboards and a couple of ATV's so there is always some around here.  

If you think the stuff is expensive, add up those 3 oz bottles of gun lube to see how much you are paying for a quart.
Link Posted: 7/21/2021 12:36:09 AM EDT
[#25]
I use gun oil.  Rem oil, Hoppes, M-Pro7, etc.

Gun oil is cheap enough and comes in conveniently sized little bottles that can precisely apply the oil where it's needed.

If I had the money for enough ammo to shoot enough to use a whole quart of oil up in my lifetime, I wouldn't need to save money by using motor oil on my guns.
Link Posted: 7/21/2021 12:47:29 AM EDT
[#26]
I’d use Pennzoil Platinum or even Castrol GTX High Mileage if I had some around. I use Mobil 1 Synthetic in my trucks, that’s what I have so I use it on my guns too.
Link Posted: 7/21/2021 12:54:43 AM EDT
[#27]
Mobil1 10w-30 for me.  I use 0w-20 in my vehicles.  I like the idea of mixing some ATF fluid in, will have to give that a try.  I like the heavier weight to stick a bit better.  Phosphate BCGs seem to hold it better too.
Link Posted: 7/21/2021 12:55:52 AM EDT
[#28]
It seems like a bad idea to breath in vaporized motor oil. How's that compare to tw25b, or ballistol?
Link Posted: 7/21/2021 1:58:25 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
It seems like a bad idea to breath in vaporized motor oil. How's that compare to tw25b, or ballistol?
View Quote

As opposed to? Copper vapor, lead vapor, gunpowder residue, primer compound?
Link Posted: 7/21/2021 3:37:58 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I use gun oil.  Rem oil, Hoppes, M-Pro7, etc.

Gun oil is cheap enough and comes in conveniently sized little bottles that can precisely apply the oil where it's needed.

If I had the money for enough ammo to shoot enough to use a whole quart of oil up in my lifetime, I wouldn't need to save money by using motor oil on my guns.
View Quote

I'm with you there.  One $10 can of CLP from Walmart will last me at least a couple years.  For the rest of you I hear bacon grease mixed with a touch of ball sweat will work in a pinch.
Link Posted: 7/21/2021 4:20:42 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View Quote

Well you don't use it on the exterior of the gun of course. I use CLP for that. Motor oil is for the moving parts.
Link Posted: 7/21/2021 4:30:31 AM EDT
[#32]
I use M1 because I use it in my cars,

I agree with any 100% synthetic
Link Posted: 7/21/2021 4:40:47 AM EDT
[#33]
I am currently using Castrol 10w40 synthetic 4T motorcycle oil. Whatever I have left over in the bottle from oil changes on the bikes.
Link Posted: 7/21/2021 5:00:43 AM EDT
[#34]
I use sewing machine oil.  I have used it for 50 years.  Buy it by the Quart or gallon.  It is clear and light.

It don’t stink or stain.  I cannot see using motor oil unless in a bind with nothing else available.
Link Posted: 7/21/2021 5:23:29 AM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 7/21/2021 5:47:08 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Well you don't use it on the exterior of the gun of course. I use CLP for that. Motor oil is for the moving parts.
View Quote

I have had a blue mossberg 500 lubricated only with engine oil sitting in my closet for eight years now, never fired in that time. It is still rust free, always has been, and you can see liquid oil still on inside of the reciever and bolt. Engine oil is absolutely fine for preventing rust. Is it the best? Probably not, but I don't need the best for my purposes.
Link Posted: 7/21/2021 6:28:59 AM EDT
[#37]
I just lay my guns under my vehicle to catch the oil leaks.

2 birds, 1 stone.

Lubed guns, unstained driveway.

I be the super poor!

Link Posted: 7/21/2021 6:35:33 AM EDT
[#38]
I use exxon 2380 and marvel mystery oil.
Link Posted: 7/21/2021 6:36:07 AM EDT
[#39]
I use M1 for.my vehicles, so M1 is what's around.  

Per our resident oil guru, there's plenty of other brands that will work just fine.  Apparently the specs are very tight on oil.
Link Posted: 7/21/2021 6:36:21 AM EDT
[#40]
Most are just mindlessly repeating bullshit they heard.
Link Posted: 7/21/2021 6:48:53 AM EDT
[#41]
I see mentioned here that just using straight motor oil doesn’t do anything to prevent rust. I’ve never noticed rust using just Mobil 1.
Link Posted: 7/21/2021 6:49:43 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
OW-20 cause that’s what I use.
View Quote

This. Real Mobile 1
Link Posted: 7/21/2021 6:52:43 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

My question is are you really that brand loyal or is it just easier than saying automotive oil?

You convinced me a long while to use auto oil but I dont use Mobil1 (I have the poors) my bottle has the dregs of whatever oil I found on sale.
View Quote

I say Mobil1 simply because that's what I used to change the oil in my cars, so there was always some leftover in a jug around my garage, and I would use that to fill little bottles for gun oil.

Not brand loyal.  I switched to Kirkland oil (Costco) from Warren, and would also use SuperTech.
Link Posted: 7/21/2021 6:56:55 AM EDT
[#44]
Castrol GTX - as there was enough left in the bottom of a larger container of it once to make up a decent supply that was then decanted into smaller bottles for range bags and use in the gun room...

THE MAN - John Moses Browning - said to use engine oil on his Auto 5 shotgun. I'll take that advice.
Link Posted: 7/21/2021 7:01:49 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

You're not alone, the marketing team is well aware of what adding "synthetic" to the label does.

" SAE
(Society of Automotive Engineers) deleted any and all definitions of "synthetic" from all specifications relating to oils.

API

NAD
(National Advertising Division of the Council of Better Business Bureaus) ruled that "Synthetic" is a marketing term and that it is the responsibility of the Marketer (the one who labels and markets the oil) to define what it is. "

"Synthetic Religion

The "synthetic" oil business is regarded by many in the oil industry as a "religion" whose followers are holding a belief that "synthetic" is somehow superior, but lack the actual proof.

This "faith" is very profitable for all marketers of "synthetic" products, as they can charge substantially higher price when the term "synthetic" is incorporated in to the product description.

The information on following pages has been provided to enlighten the average consumer of Motor Oil, Gear Oil, ATF (Automatic Transmission Fluid) and Grease with information, which is seldom made publicly available by the oil industry. "

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

" SAE

API

NAD

"Synthetic Religion

2001 called and wants its website back.

Be patient. The truth shall be revealed!

2001 clip art is gonna reveal the truth?

Remind me not to drink the koolaid at that dudes party.
Link Posted: 7/21/2021 7:27:30 AM EDT
[#46]
I'm more of a Motorcraft Synthetic Blend kinda guy.
Link Posted: 7/21/2021 7:57:58 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View Quote

Based off of what data are you determining that it doesn't prevent rust??  
Link Posted: 7/21/2021 7:58:40 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, I’m trying to understand this as well.
Link Posted: 7/21/2021 8:09:58 AM EDT
[#49]
Thanks for all the responses.

I figured a lot of people were just using it as a general term.

But a lot of you mean it literally as well.

Link Posted: 7/21/2021 8:10:07 AM EDT
[#50]
I just use what ever I put in my truck. I finish draining "empty" bottles into small oilers
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top