Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/4/2021 11:10:39 AM EDT
Anyone figure out/know of a legal way to purchase firearms in the US while living OCONUS?  

Has anyone done this?

Thanks,

MPNelson81
Link Posted: 1/4/2021 12:25:11 PM EDT
[#1]
I spent about 8 years on and off overseas contracting in Iraq & Africa.
I emailed a couple dealers through Gunbroker's FFL finder and found 2 that would store guns transferred to them on my behalf until I got home. I had to pay the normal transfer fees on the guns when I was home on vacation.

1 of the FFL's charged me only $20 per 4473 for as many guns that would fit on the form. The other charged me $25 for the 1st gun and $5 for each additional gun.  

Being a bit paranoid I tried to limit my handgun buys as to not have a multiple handgun purchase form get filed.  

That worked for the 1st 5 years or so. Both dealers gave up their licenses and I was out of luck for the last 3 years. I bought a bunch of Cap & Ball revolvers and had those shipped directly to my house.
Link Posted: 1/4/2021 1:28:09 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm sure that things have changes a lot since I got out and it also depends on where you are stationed. I know when I was in and stationed in Germany, we could purchase firearms at the Rod and Gun Club on base. That was in the early 90's.
Link Posted: 1/4/2021 9:13:04 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 1/5/2021 10:47:06 AM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the recommendations... I wasn't sure if it was possible/legal to purchase but not actually execute the transfer of the firearm until a later date.  Sounds like I need to start searching for a FFL that will do this!

Thanks,

MPNelson81
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top