Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/14/2021 3:18:04 AM EDT
Old video but still one of my favorites.

This will be a full stop landing!

ETA: fixed wrong video link
Link Posted: 2/14/2021 11:11:59 AM EDT
[#1]
Neat. Thanks for linking, OP.

Edit: I liked your first link, OP.
Link Posted: 2/14/2021 4:54:22 PM EDT
[#2]
Well that was dumb.
Link Posted: 2/14/2021 7:51:41 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Well that was dumb.
View Quote

Somewhat anticlimactic, but I’d love to know what the go-around plan was other than a climb into a thunderstorm.

Link Posted: 2/16/2021 5:25:08 PM EDT
[#4]
It’s actually a great example of some really bad flying.  
The thing that makes aviation dangerous, is that the greatest fun comes from doing stuff you shouldn’t be doing at all.  
Doing risky shit feels great, while making good decisions is a drag.  Professionalism is choosing the less convenient but safer option.  
I’m typing it out for the newbies who might think it’s cool.  Those who have btdt a time or two, know of what I speak.
Link Posted: 2/16/2021 11:20:13 PM EDT
[#5]

There's a cliche saying, roughly, "the rescue operation of an airplane crash is always in better weather than the crash itself."  Something to that effect, but the point is whatever weather brought the plane down is usually gone within minutes of the crash (the Little Rock MD80 crash is an example, along with DAL191 and almost any other windshear encounter).  These guys in the video would have reduced their risk tremendously if they had held for ~5min.  They got in, but it could have easily turned out a lot worse.
Link Posted: 2/17/2021 8:07:43 PM EDT
[#6]
During the worst wind shear event I’ve experienced, I told the captain “I can see the far side of runway 10 from here,” which was about 20 miles away.

He said “ah, the last words on any Windshear CVR... ‘runway in sight.’”
Link Posted: 2/17/2021 11:34:08 PM EDT
[#7]
Fuck everything about this.  Nope nope nope, nope.

Divert.  Hard fucking divert.  Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuck this.
Link Posted: 2/17/2021 11:53:14 PM EDT
[#8]
Turd World Approach

Turd World Airplane

Turd World Pilots...

WHAT COULD POSSIBLY GO WRONG??
Link Posted: 2/18/2021 10:06:39 AM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
During the worst wind shear event I’ve experienced, I told the captain “I can see the far side of runway 10 from here,” which was about 20 miles away.

He said “ah, the last words on any Windshear CVR... ‘runway in sight.’”
View Quote

Pretty much.

I've been through three microbursts.  In two out of the three encounters, the planes in front of us didn't experience anything and after a plane or two behind us went around, it was back to ops normal.  In the third encounter, by the time we went around and did some delay vectoring, it was gone. It's amazing how quickly they show up and how quickly they can dissipate and/or move off.

Fun feeling having that nose up at 15deg or so and watching that VVSI pointing downhill, isn't it?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top