Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 10:38:54 AM EDT
[#1]
Tfl
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 10:42:14 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

You have any pictures?  I'd love to see how it looks, as I get tired of mulching.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
A little surprised to see all the mulch.

We mulched for years, switched to river rock several years ago & life has been much better since. Ended up needing 40 tons to completely re-do the landscape, that’s a lot of shoveling & wheelbarrowing let me tell you. But it’s finished now forever & the only maintenance is an occasional walk around with the weed sprayer.

You have any pictures?  I'd love to see how it looks, as I get tired of mulching.

I suck at internetting & still haven’t figured out how to posts pics here. But I’ll be happy to email or text you some of you want to pm me where to send them. Or you can just search 1-3” river rock landscaping into your favorite search engine & get endless results.
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 10:49:07 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Thanks, that's what I told her we should use.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It’s called polymeric sand. This “stone dust” can work up to 6” gaps so it’s great for flag stone. You sweep it in the cracks. Light blow the excess off. And water it down. Hardens like mortar and last a long time.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/346339/D995BA98-6FE6-4026-B913-409855D29334_jpe-2383342.JPG

Beware of the polymeric to a certain degree,wear dust mask or respirator if you have breathing issues. I forget exactly what the warning on the bag says but it isn't great to inhale.
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 11:56:40 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Beware of the polymeric to a certain degree,wear dust mask or respirator if you have breathing issues. I forget exactly what the warning on the bag says but it isn't great to inhale.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It’s called polymeric sand. This “stone dust” can work up to 6” gaps so it’s great for flag stone. You sweep it in the cracks. Light blow the excess off. And water it down. Hardens like mortar and last a long time.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/346339/D995BA98-6FE6-4026-B913-409855D29334_jpe-2383342.JPG

Same with cutting any masonry really. Shit will harden in your lungs. No buneo
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 2:01:56 PM EDT
[#5]
I need some landscaping done
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 2:09:00 PM EDT
[#6]
Well, got the very front of my house mostly done. Now I need to build out the other half of the front.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 2:36:14 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 2:51:48 PM EDT
[#8]

Looks great! Nice landscaping makes an enormous difference. Relax and enjoy a beverage!
Link Posted: 5/16/2022 8:39:21 PM EDT
[#9]
What’s a good material to separate a flower bed from a lawn? What kind cost would I be looking at per 50 feet? Right now I have a divider made up of pieces  of wooden fence post sitting on end. It’s very old and starting to fall apart.
Link Posted: 5/16/2022 8:44:18 PM EDT
[#10]
Someone should tag the Japanese maple guy
Link Posted: 5/16/2022 8:45:01 PM EDT
[#11]
Nice work! As much as I have spent I yard, I respect that grind and $$.
Link Posted: 5/16/2022 8:51:22 PM EDT
[#12]
Anybody have experience with clumping bamboo in Zone 7 (north Texas near OK)? I don't want to deal with the invasive type, but clumping seems like a good privacy screen.
Link Posted: 5/16/2022 9:17:11 PM EDT
[#13]
So you like stone work? This is our last house.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Sometimes it rains during your project. It doesn't help that the back yard is a water retention area. Water was half way up the skid steer at 3 AM. More water than the 20 year neighbors had ever seen back there. Delayed work for a week.

Attachment Attached File

It all comes together after a few years..

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/16/2022 9:33:53 PM EDT
[#14]
Current house patio project we had done almost four years ago.

Starting point
Attachment Attached File

The block
Attachment Attached File

In progress
Attachment Attached File

Open for business - post deck renovation
Attachment Attached File

Current state
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 5/17/2022 9:53:10 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
What’s a good material to separate a flower bed from a lawn? What kind cost would I be looking at per 50 feet? Right now I have a divider made up of pieces  of wooden fence post sitting on end. It’s very old and starting to fall apart.
View Quote

Why not just shovel edge it, for free.

You can also use plastic edging. Which would require you to “trench” out a small area along the bed and use metal stakes to hold it into place. It’s relatively cheap like $20 per 50ft and lasts forever as long as the mower doesn’t get it.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/17/2022 11:46:56 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

You can also use plastic edging. Which would require you to “trench” out a small area along the bed and use metal stakes to hold it into place. It’s relatively cheap like $20 per 50ft and lasts forever as long as the mower doesn’t get it.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/346339/D943194B-389D-4D0E-8A5D-C9C0F4041FCE_jpe-2387674.JPG
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/346339/D943194B-389D-4D0E-8A5D-C9C0F4041FCE_jpe-2387674.JPG

Would  the plastic edging work if the flower beds are about 4 inches higher than the lawn?
Link Posted: 5/18/2022 11:48:40 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Would  the plastic edging work if the flower beds are about 4 inches higher than the lawn?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sure, I mean even if it’s on a slight slope it’s still going to work the same right.
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 12:20:14 PM EDT
[#19]
OP, love the flower bed rock work in the original post.  I've been looking build something like that.  Where do I start?
Link Posted: 5/21/2022 6:31:39 AM EDT
[#20]

That looks tight. Definite pro work and effort. That scale can be difficult if you don't pre plan every move perfectly. It sucks having to go in reverse because oops we forgot to tell you about the low voltage lighting change.
Link Posted: 5/21/2022 6:49:12 AM EDT
[#21]

Is the downspout done incorrectly? It looks like it goes directly underground which means all the debris will get stuck. I’m just basing this off YouTube videos. They put a space and a grate in between the spout and the underground part.
Link Posted: 5/24/2022 6:28:38 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Is the downspout done incorrectly? It looks like it goes directly underground which means all the debris will get stuck. I’m just basing this off YouTube videos. They put a space and a grate in between the spout and the underground part.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Temporary downspout until a company was coming in to do all the spouts and draining from the backyard. We just ran it under the wall and they can tie it in from there.
Link Posted: 5/24/2022 6:34:36 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
OP, love the flower bed rock work in the original post.  I've been looking build something like that.  Where do I start?
View Quote

@eight sorry for the late reply.

Layout your beds and design your walls.

Trench out 6-8” 1 foot wide. Fill that back in with crush and run stone about 4-6” deep. Tamp down solid. Then use 1” of paver sand to get your level on top of that stone. Start your first course of flag stones. Try to pick pieces that keep everything sort of level as best you can. It’s one big fucking puzzle. Then just build from there. Most guys just “dry stack” the wall. I like to use a little mortar in key spots on the stone to keep everything more solid. Once your satisfied, I backfill the wall with stone to not only support it but add a way for water to escape. Typically 3/4 of the way up the backside of that way and about 6” into the bed.

Fill everything back up with soil, grade, and plant.
Link Posted: 5/25/2022 1:22:51 AM EDT
[#24]
COC
Link Posted: 5/25/2022 1:43:52 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
What's a good material to separate a flower bed from a lawn? What kind cost would I be looking at per 50 feet? Right now I have a divider made up of pieces  of wooden fence post sitting on end. It's very old and starting to fall apart.
View Quote
Any plastic edging sucks balls.
Steel edging is what you want.
Buy once cry once.
For 20 years I used a similar product to this made by Ryerson Steel company.
https://www.jdrussellco.com/landscaping-product/duraedge-landscape-edging/
Link Posted: 5/25/2022 1:49:42 AM EDT
[#26]
I'm building a garden walkway and arbor right now. The walkway will then help me move stone to fix a dry stream a contractor fucked up.

I said, "build a dry stream bed to help with drainage that looks natural. Think water feature without water." And they heard "dump identical rocks in a ditch like we're doing drainage at the mall."
Link Posted: 5/25/2022 6:39:55 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Buy once cry once.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
What's a good material to separate a flower bed from a lawn? What kind cost would I be looking at per 50 feet? Right now I have a divider made up of pieces  of wooden fence post sitting on end. It's very old and starting to fall apart.
Buy once cry once.

Yes this is the way. We use it( steel edging) on lots of projects and it is rugged but can be difficult for a newbie to keep straight.
Link Posted: 5/25/2022 6:41:31 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Hi,
I like your work and progress you are doing I am looking for a good landscaping design for my house lawn which is 500 feet square. I want to implement a unique design so that my lawn looks beautiful more than our neighbors.
View Quote

Are you asking something in particular? Not sure I understand but I'm a little tired and my reading comprehension might be off
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 1:14:04 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

@eight sorry for the late reply.

Layout your beds and design your walls.

Trench out 6-8” 1 foot wide. Fill that back in with crush and run stone about 4-6” deep. Tamp down solid. Then use 1” of paver sand to get your level on top of that stone. Start your first course of flag stones. Try to pick pieces that keep everything sort of level as best you can. It’s one big fucking puzzle. Then just build from there. Most guys just “dry stack” the wall. I like to use a little mortar in key spots on the stone to keep everything more solid. Once your satisfied, I backfill the wall with stone to not only support it but add a way for water to escape. Typically 3/4 of the way up the backside of that way and about 6” into the bed.

Fill everything back up with soil, grade, and plant.
View Quote

@AKCory762
Thanks for the info.  The foundation part is what I know I need to get right, so that information was helpful.
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 1:39:26 PM EDT
[#30]
Damn.  Makes me feel bad with all we need to get done. Done a lot, but a long way to go.  I’ve done a lot of top soil fill in old stump locations that have sunk in as the wood underground rotted away and the wife put out a lot of mulch around the garden beds surrounding the house.   We still need the irrigation system done and the old well redone with a new pump and all new piping. I basically have a hole in the ground.

We have about a 4’ rise in the yard at the end of our back driveway that we want to build steps into.
Found a pic of where we want the steps. We want them spiraling towards the right and built with the right side starting at the concrete line where the drive meets the parking pad.  

Ok, here’s a pic I posted last year the first week we moved in.

This was taken a week or three back.  Shows all the over growth we have cleared out.

Another angle of all the ground cover and wax myrtles we cut back that really opened up the view.

It’s a slow process with my spinal stenosis issues and having to work slowly and a little at a time.  And my meds I’m on don’t play well with the heat. So no summertime hard work.
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 7:46:57 AM EDT
[#31]
[Deleted]
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 6:21:01 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 6:38:27 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Are you asking something in particular? Not sure I understand but I'm a little tired and my reading comprehension might be off
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hi,
I like your work and progress you are doing I am looking for a good landscaping design for my house lawn which is 500 feet square. I want to implement a unique design so that my lawn looks beautiful more than our neighbors.

It's just a spambot
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 8:21:43 PM EDT
[#34]
I completely messed up my back yard lawn last week. I got it looking great, finally….all except for a small section that stayed bald. I figured I’d dethatch so I bought a SunJoe dethatcher, set it to the lowest setting and went to work. Damn thing ripped up more live grass than dead and now It just looks barren, big patches of dirt. Gonna reseed with some Jonathans Black Beauty seed and hope for the best.

I’m wondering though, people with large sections of mulch/bark…how do they keep it clean?  my neighbors tree drops lots of crap into my mulch and it’s a pain in the ass to clean. I can’t use my blower because it blows the mulch all over.  Any tips?
Link Posted: 5/28/2022 8:55:49 AM EDT
[#35]
What could I expect to pay for something simular like this ballpark
Link Posted: 5/28/2022 8:38:59 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

It's just a spambot
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hi,

It's just a spambot

Thank you,thought i was losing my mind...
Link Posted: 5/28/2022 9:42:57 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I completely messed up my back yard lawn last week. I got it looking great, finally….all except for a small section that stayed bald. I figured I’d dethatch so I bought a SunJoe dethatcher, set it to the lowest setting and went to work. Damn thing ripped up more live grass than dead and now It just looks barren, big patches of dirt. Gonna reseed with some Jonathans Black Beauty seed and hope for the best.

I’m wondering though, people with large sections of mulch/bark…how do they keep it clean?  my neighbors tree drops lots of crap into my mulch and it’s a pain in the ass to clean. I can’t use my blower because it blows the mulch all over.  Any tips?
View Quote

Use your blower lol. Give it a blow at idle here and there then you can smooth the mulch around with a metal tine rake flipped over (tines point up to the sky) just use the backside and rake the mulch around. It will cover some of the shit up and smooth everything back over.
Link Posted: 5/28/2022 9:44:58 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

$8000-10k basically as seen. There was 3 other much smaller beds with also did. Engineered brick would be 1/2 the price. Flag stone is a major time consuming pain in the ass to get it to look nice.
Link Posted: 5/28/2022 10:06:40 PM EDT
[#40]
Owning a home is a neverending project to me. I think I bought my current house because I ran out of stuff to do on the last house.

Last year I wanted to expand off the deck (which I also did myself six years ago) and proper up the small bed I did (never intended to be permanent). It turned into something a little larger. I thought I'd do a fire pit.

That was staked, lined, diagonals measured, and sod stripped before leveling and all of that. A few pallets of bricks and a month of work later and I had this:

I used "jointing sand," which sets but doesn't really harden, because I had to backfill and I suspected as I was going that I was going to have settling issues. It is almost impossible to tell what is virgin ground and what isn't as a fair amount of grading was done. I expected some unevenness and I did get it, though nothing from frost heave (and we had some hard freezes this year). That let me pull the stones and re-level.

This spring I finished adding the last edge bed, with three rose bushes and 36 lilies (for my daughters).

As I'm addicted to this stuff, I'll probably add more lights and speakers out there.
Link Posted: 5/29/2022 12:12:41 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Owning a home is a neverending project to me. I think I bought my current house because I ran out of stuff to do on the last house.

Last year I wanted to expand off the deck (which I also did myself six years ago) and proper up the small bed I did (never intended to be permanent). It turned into something a little larger. I thought I'd do a fire pit.

https://i.ibb.co/CbTshcm/20210914-125742.jpg

That was staked, lined, diagonals measured, and sod stripped before leveling and all of that. A few pallets of bricks and a month of work later and I had this:

https://i.ibb.co/ctzBT4T/20211023-172609.jpg

I used "jointing sand," which sets but doesn't really harden, because I had to backfill and I suspected as I was going that I was going to have settling issues. It is almost impossible to tell what is virgin ground and what isn't as a fair amount of grading was done. I expected some unevenness and I did get it, though nothing from frost heave (and we had some hard freezes this year). That let me pull the stones and re-level.

This spring I finished adding the last edge bed, with three rose bushes and 36 lilies (for my daughters).

https://i.ibb.co/JdQdbYK/20220410-133836.jpg

As I'm addicted to this stuff, I'll probably add more lights and speakers out there.
View Quote

Nice work, looks like you paid attention to detail and can run a level.
Link Posted: 5/29/2022 1:19:05 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

https://i.ibb.co/CbTshcm/20210914-125742.jpg

https://i.ibb.co/ctzBT4T/20211023-172609.jpg

https://i.ibb.co/JdQdbYK/20220410-133836.jpg

View Quote

Solid as hell man. Nice work. It’s ass busted but once your done you can’t get enough of it.
Link Posted: 5/29/2022 1:34:40 PM EDT
[#43]
My dogs have torn up the yard pretty good.  We also have a few low spots.  
So I filled the low spots with fill dirt from a buddy
Then I got 5 yards of mulch delivered.  Decided to use landscape timber’s for an edge.  

My plan was to use mulch around the fence line so that they aren’t running in dirt, and then tracking it in.

Here’s some pics. Even include one of my mal.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

I did have one hickup.  Drove rebar into a massive stone.   It’s about 20” long.  I ended up driving the rebar as far as I could and then cut it flush with the timber’s.

Edit.  It’s always sideways.   What the fuck
Link Posted: 5/30/2022 11:25:06 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
A little surprised to see all the mulch.

We mulched for years, switched to river rock several years ago & life has been much better since. Ended up needing 40 tons to completely re-do the landscape, that’s a lot of shoveling & wheelbarrowing let me tell you. But it’s finished now forever & the only maintenance is an occasional walk around with the weed sprayer.

@Paadams if you look at post #16 2nd picture i think you'll see large river rock used as a drip edge along the house. We installed steel drip edge to give the river rock a clean straight looking reveal a bit later in this project. This river rock is 6" minus which in my opinion was a touch large but i like the 1 1/2 "  river rock more.  There is landscape fabric ( recommended) below the rock to keep weeds and such down.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top