Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/27/2021 12:57:36 AM EDT
Take my new bolt action hunting rifle out of the box and prepare to ditch the cheap weaver scope that came with it.  I have a Leupold single piece base for it.

I remove the scope and save the rings. I remove the 2 piece bases it has from the factory.
I get all the new parts out fo the box and near the gun.
I put blue thread locker on the screws for the base.  
That are too small for the gun.  Ok.  Maybe I came salvage the screws from the 2 piece bases.  Nope. The head is too big for them.
Put the 2 piece bases back on.  Put everything that came with the single piece base back in the packaging and I will return it later.
I screw the rings on the base.  
I take out the new scope. Set it on the rings and it won’t fit. The scope isn’t long enough. The rings are on the bells.
Shit.  
So I go looking at a few other scopes I have that I could pull from another gun.
None are long enough.  
So I put the cheap scope back on.  
Thread lock everything as I go.  And returned the gin to factory condition.  Wasted about an hour of my life.  

It’s too close to deer season. I won’t have a different base in time.  So this year it will ride out with the scope it has. Next year I will swap out the stuff.

I succeeded in doing nothing and taking an hour to do it.
Link Posted: 9/27/2021 1:05:22 AM EDT
[#1]
Gin?
Link Posted: 9/27/2021 1:07:38 AM EDT
[#2]
At least you know the cheap scope is mounted properly, which beats having it come loose in the field.
Link Posted: 9/27/2021 1:12:35 AM EDT
[#3]
Something about, best laid plans come to mind!!!!!!!
Good luck hunting!!
Link Posted: 9/27/2021 1:17:54 AM EDT
[#4]
at least you got to tinker on your new toys for an hour without creating another 5 hours of work, that's a win in my book
Link Posted: 9/27/2021 1:28:41 AM EDT
[#5]
Oh, I've wasted more time than that on a remington 700 and ruined a ney bell and carlson stock in the process. Then had to put it back to stock so dont feel bad.
Link Posted: 9/27/2021 1:48:10 AM EDT
[#6]

Would have been nice if OP mentioned something about the new rifle, like the make and model, but I am going to assume the rifle was cheap as the weaver scope it was attached to
Link Posted: 9/27/2021 2:13:36 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Would have been nice if OP mentioned something about the new rifle, like the make and model, but I am going to assume the rifle was cheap as the weaver scope it was attached to
View Quote

I'd put money on it being a savage axis and further put money he was sold parts for a savage 10 or similar because he was told they're basically the same rifle.
Link Posted: 9/27/2021 4:57:06 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I'd put money on it being a savage axis and further put money he was sold parts for a savage 10 or similar because he was told they're basically the same rifle.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Bingo.   In 350 legend.  
Wasn’t told that they were the same.  The package in the base says it’s good with my axis.

Here
Link Posted: 9/27/2021 5:01:27 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Bingo.   In 350 legend.  
Wasn’t told that they were the same.  The package in the base says it’s good with my axis.

Here
View Quote

I got a weaver 3-9 with my 223 axis. All in all, as a package deal for $350 a couple years ago, it is great.

I think you’ll be just fine for 350L distances. You might not have the best time if you’re pushing legal-light, but after that no problem.
Link Posted: 9/27/2021 5:02:46 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I got a weaver 3-9 with my 223 axis. All in all, as a package deal for $350 a couple years ago, it is great.

I think you’ll be just fine for 350L distances. You might not have the best time if you’re pushing legal-light, but after that no problem.
View Quote

Yeah.  That’s pretty much what I thought.  It’s not bad.  I was gonna swap it out for a Nikon prostaff 5?  Or 3?
Link Posted: 9/27/2021 5:10:33 AM EDT
[#11]
Don't feel too bad. I went to sight in my muzzleloader today. Got all my stuff together, drove to the range, got set up, and realized I forgot my powder lol. 1.5 hours and gas wasted.
Link Posted: 9/27/2021 5:21:55 AM EDT
[#12]
No offense bro, but you need to do more research before hand.

It’s not uncommon for me to call Talley or leupold or whoever, and ask if the systems that I want to use are compatible.  

They have always been very helpful.
Link Posted: 9/27/2021 6:01:40 AM EDT
[#13]

Good luck OP, I think you'll do fine with the Savage & Weaver combo, the glass is not the best but adequate, but I was surprised by the caliber though, the 350 is new to me.
Link Posted: 9/27/2021 6:40:04 AM EDT
[#14]
Wouldn’t interchangeable parts be cool?
Link Posted: 9/27/2021 7:01:17 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Gin?
View Quote

Well, there was room for the gun parts after putting some of the gin into himself.
Link Posted: 9/27/2021 7:05:44 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Don't feel too bad. I went to sight in my muzzleloader today. Got all my stuff together, drove to the range, got set up, and realized I forgot my powder lol. 1.5 hours and gas wasted.
View Quote

I did the same the other day, kinda
Looked in my accoutrement bag and my patches were gone (flintlock)

Have my own range so I just went back to the house looking for them. Spent at least 45mins looking for them. House, sheds... nada
Never did find them. Big mystery
Link Posted: 9/27/2021 7:11:17 AM EDT
[#17]
I don't know if it's funny or sad, I can just look at a rifle/scope/base/ring combo now and tell if it's going to work properly.
Link Posted: 9/27/2021 7:11:51 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Gin?
View Quote
There's your problem right there.
Link Posted: 9/27/2021 7:23:57 AM EDT
[#19]
Sounds like a typical day when I worked at a gun store. Somebody always bringing in a rifle, scope, mount, and rings for us to put together and zero and none of them would work. Then get pissed off because we wouldn't spend an hour figuring it out for them and ordering the correct parts. If they would have bought the rifle, scope, and mounts from the store to start with we would have done it all for free before it left the store.
Link Posted: 9/27/2021 7:27:59 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Sounds like a typical day when I worked at a gun store. Somebody always bringing in a rifle, scope, mount, and rings for us to put together and zero and none of them would work. Then get pissed off because we wouldn't spend an hour figuring it out for them and ordering the correct parts. If they would have bought the rifle, scope, and mounts from the store to start with we would have done it all for free before it left the store.
View Quote

And paid way more than buying it on the internet
Link Posted: 9/27/2021 7:31:16 AM EDT
[#21]
I'd say that returning gin to factory condition is nothing short of a miracle. Gin has always been a single-use product for me.
Link Posted: 9/27/2021 7:32:09 AM EDT
[#22]
So it was almost exactly like most of my home plumbing jobs...................except with a firearm.
Link Posted: 9/27/2021 9:56:16 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
No offense bro, but you need to do more research before hand.

It’s not uncommon for me to call Talley or leupold or whoever, and ask if the systems that I want to use are compatible.  

They have always been very helpful.
View Quote

It literally says it on the box.
Link Posted: 9/27/2021 9:59:01 AM EDT
[#24]
If you order a new base on line, you can have it in two days.
Link Posted: 9/27/2021 10:07:19 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 9/27/2021 10:17:20 AM EDT
[#26]
Went better than mine

Link Posted: 9/27/2021 10:18:55 AM EDT
[#27]

Bruh...
Link Posted: 9/27/2021 10:21:29 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote

That's what I did.  I bought a new Tikka Superlite and had the gun store order the correct rings in for a scope I already had.  They said they would mount it and bore sight it for me.  Now I'm paranoid whether they will do it correctly or not.  I might take a torque wrench to the screws just to make sure.
Link Posted: 9/27/2021 10:30:31 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Bruh...
View All Quotes
No kidding.  Worst part is I have no idea what happened.  Everything was going smoothly and *crunch.*  Fuck.
Link Posted: 9/27/2021 11:21:41 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

But it would have worked plus if there was any problem you could bring it back.
Link Posted: 9/27/2021 11:24:47 AM EDT
[#31]
I would have taken the new base out to my drill press and counter bored the screw holes or enlarged them as needed and moved on.
Link Posted: 9/27/2021 11:25:56 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
No kidding.  Worst part is I have no idea what happened.  Everything was going smoothly and *crunch.*  Fuck.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

New one? Metallurgical flaw?
Link Posted: 9/27/2021 11:26:00 AM EDT
[#33]
Thanks for the update.
Link Posted: 9/27/2021 11:40:40 AM EDT
[#34]
I had no idea people on this site owned firearms.  OP is a cool guy in my book!

I feel like that sometimes working on vehicles.
Link Posted: 9/27/2021 12:27:12 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Brand new, 1st chamber.
Link Posted: 9/27/2021 12:37:57 PM EDT
[#36]
How many expletives were uttered?
Link Posted: 9/27/2021 1:03:22 PM EDT
[#37]
None.  They were yelled
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top