BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 8:58:28 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

At a prior house, we had a bird feeder. There was a telephone pole nearby that a hawk would sit on and watch the feeder. Every once in a while, a bird would position itself just right and the hawk would hit it at what seemed like 100mph. It was cool to watch.
View Quote

No doubt, I've seen hawks blast doves off my feeder and it's incredible to witness.  I've seen them miss too and then look at me when they're on the ground right before they take off.  Pretty funny.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 8:59:13 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
We used to get a ton of birds when we lived on a golf course about 10 miles from the home we just purchased, but it was on a migration path.

So far at this house we haven't seen anything and it really sucks, we loved watching all the birds at the last place. We're really hoping it picks up this spring.
View Quote

The migration patterns seem different this year, just keep offering food and water and you'll get them.  It was dead here in eastern florida for me too until recently.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 9:00:13 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
When I was a kid my cousin and I spent most winter days with our 22s killing Blue Jays. We were told they were bad and to shoot every single one we saw.
View Quote

That's terrible, I hope you don't do this anymore.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 9:20:21 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 9:22:26 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Goddamned Chipotle eating bastards...
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I hate starlings. There should be a bounty on them.

Grackles too. Useless birds.

Goddamned Chipotle eating bastards...

lol, what a classic thread that was...!
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 9:23:40 PM EDT
[#6]
Nuthatches are one of my favorites.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 9:31:58 PM EDT
[#7]

Cedar waxwings are one of my favorites.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 9:48:07 PM EDT
[#8]

Really amazing looking birds. When they came here this past fall I had to look up what they were. They hung out a couple days then left. Saw them again one day about a week later and haven't seen them since.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 10:25:32 PM EDT
[#9]
Since I put the feeder up in December I have observed:
Tufted titmouse
House Finch (male and female)
Cardinal (male and female)
Chickadee (I can't tell black-capped from Carolina)
White-breasted nuthatch
Carolina Wren
Bluejay
Dark-eyed junco
Downy woodpecker
Red-bellied woodpecker

all very common in southern Missouri
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 10:34:01 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I'm sure you're right. I likely remembered wrong or read misinformation at some point.

@kugelblitz

Are you sure you are seeing Red-Headed Woodpeckers as opposed to Red-Bellied Woodpeckers? Red-Bellied is the top photo, Red-Headed is the bottom. I've only ever seen a single Red-Headed Woodpecker in my life, but see Red-Bellied & Pileated on a daily basis:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/329797/Red_Bellied_Woodpecker_jpg-1783970.JPG
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/329797/Red_Headed_Woodpecker_jpg-1783971.JPG
View Quote

@stringburner

I definitely see red-headed as opposed to red-bellied.  I've been looking out for the red-bellied ones and can see where they could be easily confused with pileated though. My red-headed woodpeckers aren't super common like the downy and pileated woodpeckers here, but aren't unknown either.

I forgot, I also have mourning doves all summer and fall.  
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 10:57:57 PM EDT
[#11]
You get orioles? Do you have a nectar feeder?

They are pretty cool birds, but they don't normally eat seed. Just nectar. Then again I've never seen one this way. Plenty of hummingbirds (and I saw orioles often when I fished back home in PA) but no black and orange.

Pileateds are quite common. You can hear them a mile away and they shake the entire tree when they're pecking the suet, but they're still pretty cool.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 10:58:53 PM EDT
[#12]
Pileated woodpecker does not fuck around.  Large and beautiful.  I got a picture of my grape thieves!
Male
Attachment Attached File

Female
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 1/17/2021 11:01:27 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

They are pretty cool birds, but they don't normally eat seed. Just nectar. Then again I've never seen one this way. Plenty of hummingbirds (and I saw orioles often when I fished back home in PA) but no black and orange.

Pileateds are quite common. You can hear them a mile away and they shake the entire tree when they're pecking the suet, but they're still pretty cool.
View Quote

They have a oriole feed at TSC I keep threatening to buy.

They love grape jelly.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 11:03:04 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

They love grape jelly.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They love grape jelly.

We have them in spring. My wife bought the oriole feeder. Grape jam
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 11:03:22 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Pileated woodpecker does not fuck around.  Large and beautiful.  I got a picture of my grape thief!

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/206828/IMG_4046_JPG-1784420.JPG
View Quote

nice!
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 11:12:58 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

@stringburner

I definitely see red-headed as opposed to red-bellied.  I've been looking out for the red-bellied ones and can see where they could be easily confused with pileated though. My red-headed woodpeckers aren't super common like the downy and pileated woodpeckers here, but aren't unknown either.

I forgot, I also have mourning doves all summer and fall.  
View Quote

I can't see confusing a red-belly with a pileated at all.  A downy with a hairy, sure.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 11:13:35 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

They love grape jelly.
View Quote

Yeah, grape jelly and oranges.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 11:13:40 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I can't see confusing a red-belly with a pileated at all.  A downy with a hairy, sure.
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/17/2021 11:14:51 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

They love grape jelly.
View Quote

How do you feed them? I'd love to get some. Never tried any of the oriole feeders but if I don't need one I'd be interested. I'm not sure how to supply grape jelly without being overrun by ants.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 11:16:40 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote

I just meant the flash of red on the head might lead to confusion between the two.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 11:18:35 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

How do you feed them? I'd love to get some. Never tried any of the oriole feeders but if I don't need one I'd be interested. I'm not sure how to supply grape jelly without being overrun by ants.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They love grape jelly.

I have this hanger for flat seed cakes that didn't really work well (the seed cakes would fall apart if it rained), but I put some grape jelly and orange halves on a paper plate and put in out for the orioles.

The feeder thing they have at TSC looks kind of like a squished hummingbird feeder.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 11:29:25 PM EDT
[#22]
Starlings and english sparrows are the only birds that are unrestricted weapons free around here
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 11:33:15 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

I have this hanger for flat seed cakes that didn't really work well (the seed cakes would fall apart if it rained), but I put some grape jelly and orange halves on a paper plate and put in out for the orioles.

The feeder thing they have at TSC looks kind of like a squished hummingbird feeder.
View Quote

We have this for orioles. Attach fruit slices and fill the cup with grape jam.

Link Posted: 1/17/2021 11:34:07 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Obviously, but something poops on my car and it's too small to be my asshole neighbor.

Check and mate.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Then why is there bird poop on my car, Bart? Why is there bird poop in my car?
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/311651/CB56C0F4-3280-437A-81BE-98526C9D7390_jpe-1783486.JPG

Obviously, but something poops on my car and it's too small to be my asshole neighbor.

Check and mate.

That’s not poop.  Those are tracking defines.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 11:36:45 PM EDT
[#25]
Chimney Swifts are pains in the ass too
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 11:38:42 PM EDT
[#26]

@Names-arealltaken

My corner office at work on the 3rd floor has some kind of crab-apple trees that line the building outside.  We get huge flocks of Cedar Waxwings that feed on the fruit.  Beautiful birds.  Last week a small hawk caught something right outside my window but I’m not sure if it was a Cedar Waxwing.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 11:46:08 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote

I'll try that. I use almost nothing but hot pepper suet (because the bears, when not hibernating, not only take the suet but wreck everything) but I do have some flat feeders that might work. Orioles usually nest along creeks and we have one on the back of the property. I bet they might be close enough. And sugar is sugar.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 11:46:39 PM EDT
[#28]
I remember my lady friend and I got into little trouble at a resort in Kauai.
We ate at an outdoor restaurant where birds would visit.
It seems we weren't supposed to encourage or allow the birds to eat off the table.
We did not follow the rules.
One Cardinal attacked a stick of butter with gusto despite a half eaten bread roll being right next to it.
I could easily have grabbed it with my hand it was so close.
We enjoyed the show they put on.
Our server was not amused.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 4:23:04 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 4:27:57 AM EDT
[#31]
I used to try getting pics of them in flight. I'm not good at it, but I tried.

Bluejays
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Grackles (I like them; cool lookin' birds)
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 1/18/2021 5:56:25 AM EDT
[#32]
Starlings are aggressive and will take over the feeders if left unchecked, and their numbers will increase as warm weather starts. They have a short life span when they come to our feeders. Same with cowbirds. They lay their eggs in other bird's nest to be fed by the adult birds of the nestlings resulting in a higher mortality rate for the parent bird's nestlings. An accurate 22 rifle, a sandbag on the open window, and a hill for a backstop behind the feeders as I sit in my truck in wait 50 yards away keeps the numbers of the undesirable birds down.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 6:53:27 AM EDT
[#33]
BBLM
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 7:23:52 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
A few weeks ago my neighborhood had a super mega flock of grackles in the trees. I'm glad I wasn't eating chipotle, I would grab 2 pieces of cut 2x4 and smack them together and the birds would all take fly away and cause a giant whoosh sound.
I woke up one morning to my car completely covered in bird crap.
View Quote
I shoot those whistling bottle rockets at them.

Its funny hearing them all go silent at once.

Link Posted: 1/18/2021 7:28:08 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I hate starlings. There should be a bounty on them.
View Quote

OP,

Ever hear a tree-full of Starlings singing together?  It's an out-of-this world sound.  I've only heard it once--and I'm outside a lot.  Always wondered what was the occasion...mating season or whatever.  Other than that, they're pretty much useless.  They're a long-established, invasive, old-world bird.  

Anyone,

I remember in the 70s and 80s, large, thick columns of blackbirds--grackles, cowbirds and starlings together--would fly over.  Some flocks so large the fly-over would last an hour or so.  

Probably my favorite moment: I remember one afternoon, after sunset, standing at the edge of a ~20 acre millet patch, a swarm of small birds--pretty sure they weren't waxwings--went to roost in the patch.  A fellow bird watcher was with me and witnessed it.  One moment is was quiet enough to hear field mice in the grass at the edge of the patch.  Then, suddenly, the birds were there.  There were many; so many one could smelll them.  They dove into the millet in a giant, auguring helix that moved about the patch, seeming to disperse them evenly.  It looked like a small tornado.  It went on for a minute or so.  Then, complete silence.  It was almost dark.  We walked into the patch to try to identify them.  They would fly or jump through the millet invisibly.  I would like to know what they were.  They could have been waxwings, but they seemed to be about 3/4 their size.  Their call was a 'tick'.  

Yeah, I like birds.  I talk to them.  Some people are weirded out by hearing/seeing me do it; some are amazed.  

I could go on-and-on-and-on about birds.  

Thanks for reading this.  
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 7:30:48 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
BBLM
View Quote

I know dats right!

Forgot to write: my favorite bird in the marsh hawk.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 7:32:35 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Nuthatches are one of my favorites.
View Quote
Yellow shafted flickers here.

Baltimore Orioles are a close second.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 7:35:20 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View Quote
We had Orioles nest in our tree last year.

Their nest is a fairly small sack for their size.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 9:31:45 AM EDT
[#39]
I live next door to a church that has 4 or 5 feral cats living behind it.  There must be at least four different people caring for these cats, someone is dropping off water or food for them almost daily.

We have large flocks of starlings and grackles - sometimes mixed.  They come in and land in the trees surrounding the cat colony and then take turns diving in and grabbing a kernel of cat food and flying off.  It's pretty crazy to watch.  

I have to laugh that these people are feeding more birds than they are cats.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 11:52:45 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Probably my favorite moment: I remember one afternoon, after sunset, standing at the edge of a ~20 acre millet patch, a swarm of small birds--pretty sure they weren't waxwings--went to roost in the patch.  A fellow bird watcher was with me and witnessed it.  One moment is was quiet enough to hear field mice in the grass at the edge of the patch.  Then, suddenly, the birds were there.  There were many; so many one could smelll them.  They dove into the millet in a giant, auguring helix that moved about the patch, seeming to disperse them evenly.  It looked like a small tornado.  It went on for a minute or so.  Then, complete silence.  It was almost dark.  We walked into the patch to try to identify them.  They would fly or jump through the millet invisibly.  I would like to know what they were.  They could have been waxwings, but they seemed to be about 3/4 their size.  Their call was a 'tick'.
View Quote

That sounds like Redwinged Blackbirds.

Check out their different sounds, and see if it matches what you heard;

https://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Red-winged_Blackbird/sounds
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 6:27:19 PM EDT
[#42]
I saw a bunch of Mourning Doves by my daughters feeders today, so I took some pics. I forgot to set the camera for action shots, so movement is blurred.

All the pics were taken from the dining room, through the back doors. There's also a Gray Squirrel and a Chickadee in the pics.

I tapped on the glass, to get them moving;

Link Posted: 1/18/2021 6:30:21 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Blue jays are the China of the bird world. A-holes.
View Quote

Yup.  Blue jays are assholes.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top