User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/21/2021 7:30:22 AM EDT
[Last Edit: ThePontificator]
THE MENTHOL PLAN, that is.
This morning shall be...

ICE COLD WATER

Sudsy Soapery Blizzard ETA: Sudsy Soapery Frosted Lemon

A fresh Astra Blade ETA: previously used once Gillette 7 O' clock stainless (green label)

Muhle R89 Grande razor ETA: El cheapo Sally Beauty TTO aka "Chicom Derby"

Omega 10049 Professional boar brush

and finishing off with the alum block and Nivea Men Sensitive Aftershave Balm

BLADE WAS NOT SMOOTH
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 9:11:14 AM EDT
[#1]
How did you get that Boar Brush broken in properly? Have the same one but could never get it to lather right compared to my synthetics.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 11:07:49 AM EDT
[Last Edit: ThePontificator] [#2]
There really isn't a short answer to your question so here's the long answer:

When I got it I made lather with it every day for a week. Really doesn't matter what kind of shaving soap. Left the lather on the brush and let it dry overnight the next morning rinse and repeat.

And then you must use them. I've read that it takes in upwards of 25 times before they start getting broken in and the bristle tips start to split. I have also read that animal hair brushes should dry 2 days between uses. Do not soak or rinse shaving brushes in overly hot water (it can break down the glue).

ETA: are you efforts resulting in lather that's too thin/airy/loose or do they end up like a paste?

Another issue might be that you're using too little/much water and/or too little product. You can always add water but you can't take it out once you use too much. After shaking off excess water are you squeezing the knot a bit?  Are you blooming your soap? Even softer tub shaving soap can benefit from blooming not just the hard milled ones.

Try using a "slam dunk" shaving soap/cream like Proraso/Bigelow. Many of the Turkish and Indian tubed creams (Godrej, Dettol, Vicco, Palmolive, Arko, Old Spice, etc.) lather easily.

Finally, practice and experiment. Look at YT videos on lathering. Up until about 2 months ago I used tubed shaving cream almost exclusively for a decade. It took a bit to get used to using "artisan" soaps even the softer ones.

Link Posted: 1/21/2021 3:02:17 PM EDT
[#3]
The Nieva Aftershave balm (sensitive skin) is the BOMB!
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 4:56:07 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By cccollin545:
The Nieva Aftershave balm (sensitive skin) is the BOMB!
View Quote

I purchased mine for around $10 at CVS. On a rare trip to Walmart I noticed it was about half that price.

Of course you have to spend $ at Walmart to get that price.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top