Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/8/2019 8:12:29 AM EDT
Northern Brewing

I just want to try a few batches to see if brewing is something I could get into doing.

One concern I have is that we heat with wood, and our inside temperature can vary by ten or fifteen degrees during the day. Will that prevent me from brewing over the winter? Put another way, for how long does the temperature have to be stable during the whole process?
Link Posted: 11/8/2019 8:58:31 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 11/8/2019 9:16:21 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Can't comment on the kit.

Try and find a room or closest, ect that has the least amount of temperature swing.  The closer you keep the beer to the ideal fermentation temperature range that the yeast you are using likes, the better.

I have a chest freezer with a temperature controller, but I mostly brew lagers now days.  The easiest way if you're doing ales in the winter in a cold house is to buy a carboy heater and a temp controller so you can bring it up to ale temps. A basic inkbird controller and a carboy band heater can probably be had for under $60 if you look.

Can you make beer without that? Sure. But having some control over the fermentation process/temp goes a long way towards making a better and more consistent beer.

On the other side of that coin there are beers that are made in open fermenters with almost no control.
View Quote
Funny enough, I have an Inkbird control on a proofing box I made for bread making. Maybe increasing the size would be the answer so it could do double duty. The box I have now is super insulated and pretty air tight...would one for brewing need to be vented?

@Waldo
Link Posted: 11/8/2019 9:25:29 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 11/9/2019 8:09:09 AM EDT
[#4]
Bump for feedback on the kit...
Link Posted: 11/9/2019 12:44:09 PM EDT
[#5]
That kit does have everything you need to get started except bottles.

You could  save some money if you have a big enough pot already, 4 gallons or bigger.
Link Posted: 11/9/2019 3:22:24 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
That kit does have everything you need to get started except bottles.

You could  save some money if you have a big enough pot already, 4 gallons or bigger.
View Quote
This.

That pot isn't enough for full volume boils, so it may be a limiting factor for you later on anyway.
Link Posted: 11/12/2019 11:12:32 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

This.

That pot isn't enough for full volume boils, so it may be a limiting factor for you later on anyway.
View Quote
It is fine for kit brews.
Link Posted: 11/21/2019 2:34:02 AM EDT
[#8]
Kit looks fine. I agree with the pot comment, if you already have a large pot find a similar kit without the pot and save a lot of money. If you decide to go all grain that size pot is useless for even 2.5 gallon batches if you batch sparge. Yes it's fine for extract kits that you will start with but if you already have one the extra one wont help you down the line.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top