BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 11
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 5:15:35 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
What's to stop China from gobbling up all these countries y'all wanna run to?

You do understand the ChiComs are sort of into world domination?

And that the US won't be there to protect them anymore?

View Quote

Which country will be pushing tranny shit to my kids?  LOL

The USA's primary focus is changing into competing with China in these countries, & as a good Republican sez, competition is good!
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 5:16:31 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Bang teens huh?

View Quote

Tens, as in dimes, boomer.  A 10 on a scale of 1-10.  Nice try.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 5:16:58 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
My brother moved to Croatia.  Home in Split, apartment in Zagreb
View Quote

How expensive have other expats made these locations?  I'm interested in finding a small apartment near the beach but think the prices have gone up too much.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 5:19:02 PM EDT
[#4]
Check out www.nomadcapitalist.com and www.sovereignman.com.

Do you already have a claim to dual citizenship? Lots of people do. If you have recent ancestors from a country with "jus sanguinis" citizenship, you may even already be a dual citizen. If you can claim dual citizenship, that expands your options considerably.

Link Posted: 1/20/2021 5:20:53 PM EDT
[#5]
Poland.

Link Posted: 1/20/2021 5:21:17 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Greece?
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/164962/ECB2E5AC-78A0-4B71-888A-F3457A22A2C1_jpe-1788411.JPG

Bold move Cotton!

Europe is one step behind or ahead of us depending on how you look at it. Those countries are also in CENTRAL America not South and how many of those are on that chart?

And people being poor means your dollar goes further there.
View Quote

That chart means nothing.  I didnt say invest your money in their local bank.  A shitty economy works out better for you.  My last trip there was in 2018, stayed about 20 days in a beach front hotel South of Athens while we explored some small communities.  Negotiate ahead of time to pay in cash, the cash rate is far better because they pocket it.  I got an ocean side suite for pennies on the dollar. Same with meals at local taverns, pay the Greek price by using cash not credit cards.
Central America, South America, not really a difference as far as them all being shit holes.
My wife has two friends in Costa Rica, they been there for years but are leaving cause they said its turned to shit and they arent safe.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 5:24:21 PM EDT
[#7]
Briggs has some good suggestions:

Top 10 Worst Places for Americans in South America
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 5:27:27 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Thailand is looking pretty good right now...

View Quote

I've lived in Thailand, speak bad Thai pretty well, and there's no part of me that thinks I'd have a higher quality of life there than here.  They have military coups with roughly the same frequency as the Olympics.  They have a king whom I would never say anything bad about, because doing so could get me arrested the next time I step foot in Thailand, so I'll go on the record saying he's amazing.  Foreigners are required to buy health insurance, and if you get sick, you can't get insurance anymore, and will be deported.  You also can't own property, unless it's a condo.  Police and government aren't necessarily going to shake you down the way they might in Central America, but expect to pay to make things happen faster.  Expect to pay the foreign price for everything if you don't have a Thai wife or girlfriend to run interference for you.

Now, there are upsides as well that are not trivial, but I'm hoping that as I age I will do less of my thinking with my dick.

Link Posted: 1/20/2021 5:29:01 PM EDT
[#9]
Not that I would want to live in Panama City but doesn’t look like your typical Central American third world shit hole.
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

And then there’s this
Attachment Attached File

And this
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 5:29:24 PM EDT
[#10]
The summary of what I have gathered so far. Note that all stats are averages and can vary significaly, depending on which area of a country you are in.

United States
Cost of real estate: 37.45
Cost of living: 71.92
U.S. numbers are only a general guide for comparison. Check your own state's numbers.

Colombia: I know lots of people from Colombia. While they would like to return, they simply will not. They consider it too dangerous.
Political: Somewhat conservative. Unknown trending.
Crime: Extremely high and increasing.
Murder rate: 24.4 per 100,000 (2016)
Business friendly: Yes
Cost of real estate: 14.72
Cost of living: 31
Permanent residency: $150,000 investment in real estate or a Colombian company.
Weather: Warm to Hot.

Costa Rica: I know 2 people who have lived in Costa Rica for over 40 years each. They have both good and bad things to say. Crime and poverty are increasing rapidly.
Political: Appears to be moving left.
Crime: High and increasing. Theft is an epidemic.
Murder rate: 10.6 per 100,000 people.
Cost of real estate: 19.77
Cost of living: 50.64
Permanent residency: $200,000 investment in real estate. Other options apply for business or investing.
Weather: Hot.

Panama: I don't know anyone from Panama.
Political: Appears mostly conservative.
Crime: High and increasing.
Murder rate: 11.2 per 100,000 people.
Business friendly: Yes.
Cost of real estate: 32.76
Cost of living: 54.07
Permanent residency: Put $5,000 in a bank and open a business.

Chile: I don't know anyone from Chile.
Political: Moving left.
Crime: Low but rising.
Murder rate: 3.1 per 100,000 people.
Cost of real estate: 17.76
Cost of living: 49.33
Permanent residency: Unclear but it appears to be based on an extended stay under temporary visa.
Weather: Wide variation due to geography.

Bahamas: I know several people in the Bahamas. Their message is "don't even consider it".
Crime: Extreme.
Murder rate: 30.90 per 100,000 people.
Business friendly: No.
Mostly destroyed by a hurricane, etc...

Estonia: Still researching this one.
Political: Mostly conservative.
Crime: Low.
Murder rate: 3.19 per 100,000
Cost of real estate: 18.91
Cost of living: 56.45
Permanent residency: Unclear but it appears to be based on an extended stay under temporary visa.
Weather: Very cold. Roughly equivalent to North Dakota.

All of the stats and info provided here are from "best available" sources that I can find. I welcome any corrections and strongly encourage them.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 5:31:01 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
OP, why are you looking at 3 spots in South America known for crime and poor people?

There's lots of cheap places to live in better, more educated countries.  Check out some European and Mediterranean locales.

Greece is high on my list, had a Zoom meeting this morning with two Greeks to discuss property.
View Quote

Love Greece, spent nine years there off and on, but some of Greek culture will drive you crazy.

You're going to hear "avrio" a lot. It means tomorrow, which is when everything you want or need done will happen...for weeks, sometimes months. Sometimes, you're just not going to get there at all.

One of our guys pitched headfirst off a B4 stand on to the ramp. Mostly landed on his chest. The doctor that examined him had a cigarette hanging out of his mouth during the exam. We were getting ready to airlift him back to the US because his X-ray showed some fatal cloud on his lung. It turned out to be the thumbprint of the tech.

I was sitting across from a young family at the harbor in Chania. Little boy, about eight, grabbed his dad's cigarette out of the ashtray and took a puff. Dad smacked his hand and took his cigarette away from the kid...then shook a fresh one out of the pack, gave it to the boy and lit it for him.

On the upside, the islands are beautiful and they're mostly happy people. Wear sunscreen.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 5:33:42 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I've lived in Thailand, speak bad Thai pretty well, and there's no part of me that thinks I'd have a higher quality of life there than here.  They have military coups with roughly the same frequency as the Olympics.  They have a king whom I would never say anything bad about, because doing so could get me arrested the next time I step foot in Thailand, so I'll go on the record saying he's amazing.  Foreigners are required to buy health insurance, and if you get sick, you can't get insurance anymore, and will be deported.  You also can't own property, unless it's a condo.  Police and government aren't necessarily going to shake you down the way they might in Central America, but expect to pay to make things happen faster.  Expect to pay the foreign price for everything if you don't have a Thai wife or girlfriend to run interference for you.

Now, there are upsides as well that are not trivial, but I'm hoping that as I age I will do less of my thinking with my dick.

View Quote

Philippines would be a better option wouldn't it? Don't even need to learn the language there since it's an ex-american colony.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 5:36:53 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

That chart means nothing.  I didnt say invest your money in their local bank.  A shitty economy works out better for you.  My last trip there was in 2018, stayed about 20 days in a beach front hotel South of Athens while we explored some small communities.  Negotiate ahead of time to pay in cash, the cash rate is far better because they pocket it.  I got an ocean side suite for pennies on the dollar. Same with meals at local taverns, pay the Greek price by using cash not credit cards.
Central America, South America, not really a difference as far as them all being shit holes.
My wife has two friends in Costa Rica, they been there for years but are leaving cause they said its turned to shit and they arent safe.
View Quote

Financial instability often leads to bad things like seizure of foreign owned assets, nationalization of businesses and utilities, expulsion of foreigners and seizure of assets, government and monetary instability, etc etc.

And so now you are saying a shitty economy (kind of like being a poor country) is now a good thing? I thought you said it was bad?
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 5:37:55 PM EDT
[#14]
You are always one regime change away from Venezuela.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 5:38:55 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
You are always one regime change away from Venezuela.
View Quote

And it may have just happened here.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 5:42:11 PM EDT
[#16]
My brother lives in Northern Panama in the mountains, seems to like it. Last month when I was in the middle of an ice storm he said it was 70* and it only gets to about 90* in the summer.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 5:43:47 PM EDT
[#17]
I visited Cartagena, Colombia a couple years back. Interesting place but traffic really sucked. We were treated well but I was warned there are still some there who hate Norte Americanos and not venture outside the nicer places in the city. Is this still the way it is?
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 5:44:03 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Love Greece, spent nine years there off and on, but some of Greek culture will drive you crazy.

You're going to hear "avrio" a lot. It means tomorrow, which is when everything you want or need done will happen...for weeks, sometimes months. Sometimes, you're just not going to get there at all.

One of our guys pitched headfirst off a B4 stand on to the ramp. Mostly landed on his chest. The doctor that examined him had a cigarette hanging out of his mouth during the exam. We were getting ready to airlift him back to the US because his X-ray showed some fatal cloud on his lung. It turned out to be the thumbprint of the tech.

I was sitting across from a young family at the harbor in Chania. Little boy, about eight, grabbed his dad's cigarette out of the ashtray and took a puff. Dad smacked his hand and took his cigarette away from the kid...then shook a fresh one out of the pack, gave it to the boy and lit it for him.

On the upside, the islands are beautiful and they're mostly happy people. Wear sunscreen.
View Quote

Its paradise to me.  Havent lived there but was going there every year unitl COVID.  I currently live in a poor rural area with lazy/laid back attitudes everywhere, I am used to "avrio" way of life.  But I have found a little cash helps things move along, no matter what country you are in.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 5:45:32 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Philippines would be a better option wouldn't it? Don't even need to learn the language there since it's an ex-american colony.
View Quote

PHL are being over-run by Chinese. They have suspended their retirement visa program.

Check out Nomad Capitalist on YouTube. He runs a business relocating people and publishes daily videos.

A few ideas:

Caribbean: several countries give citizenship if you buy property there. Their passports get you into the UK (Commonwealth) or the EU.

Europe: Malta is still available to get EU citizenship. Montenegro and Serbia are still available as places to live fairly cheaply. Portugal does have some retirement visa programs that could work.

Middle East: some people love UAE and Bahrain. They seem to be easy to obtain a visa and in some ways are more free. Also Turkey has a citizenship program if you buy a house there.

Latin America: Columbia, or possibly Paraguay or Bolivia. These all have visa or citizenship programs, and you need to know some Spanish to become a citizen. I kind of like Ecuador.  

Asia: I could see spending part of the year retired in India or Sri Lanka. For permanent residence, Thailand, Malaysia, or even Cambodia or Vietnam.

Overall: declining US dollar is going to make it harder and harder to move overseas.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 5:47:02 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
The moon seems nice
View Quote

I don't know... she's a harsh mistress
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 5:48:37 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
The summary of what I have gathered so far. Note that all stats are averages and can vary significaly, depending on which area of a country you are in.

United States
Cost of real estate: 37.45
Cost of living: 71.92
U.S. numbers are only a general guide for comparison. Check your own state's numbers.

Colombia: I know lots of people from Colombia. While they would like to return, they simply will not. They consider it too dangerous.
Political: Somewhat conservative. Unknown trending.
Crime: Extremely high and increasing.
Murder rate: 24.4 per 100,000 (2016)
Cost of real estate: 14.72
Cost of living: 31
Permanent residency: $150,000 investment in real estate or a Colombian company.
Weather: Warm to Hot.

Costa Rica: I know 2 people who have lived in Costa Rica for over 40 years each. They have both good and bad things to say. Crime and poverty are increasing rapidly.
Political: Appears to be moving left.
Crime: High and increasing. Theft is an epidemic.
Murder rate: 10.6 per 100,000 people.
Cost of real estate: 19.77
Cost of living: 50.64
Permanent residency: $200,000 investment in real estate. Other options apply for business or investing.

Panama: I don't know anyone from Panama.
Political: Appears mostly conservative.
Crime: High and increasing.
Murder rate: 11.2 per 100,000 people.
Cost of real estate: 32.76
Cost of living: 54.07
Permanent residency: Put $5,000 in a bank and open a business.

Chile: I don't know anyone from Chile.
Political: Moving left.
Crime: Low but rising.
Murder rate: 3.1 per 100,000 people.
Cost of real estate: 17.76
Cost of living: 49.33
Weather: Wide variation due to geography.

Bahamas: I know several people in the Bahamas. Their message is "don't even consider it".
Crime: Extreme.
Murder rate: 30.90 per 100,000 people.
Business friendly: No.
Mostly destroyed by a hurricane, etc...

Estonia: Still researching this one.
Political: Mostly conservative.
Crime: Low.
Murder rate: 3.19 per 100,000
Cost of real estate: 18.91
Cost of living: 56.45
Weather: Very cold. Roughly equivalent to North Dakota.

All of the stats and info provided here are from "best available" sources that I can find. I welcome any corrections and strongly encourage them.
View Quote

Tag for updates.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 5:49:12 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Financial instability often leads to bad things like seizure of foreign owned assets, nationalization of businesses and utilities, expulsion of foreigners and seizure of assets, government and monetary instability, etc etc.

And so now you are saying a shitty economy (kind of like being a poor country) is now a good thing? I thought you said it was bad?
View Quote

A poor economy in Europe is light years ahead of a poor economy in shithole South/Central America.  Maybe you can tell I hate that part of the world.  Do yourself a favor, visit some other places before you make a major mistake.
Hell, ask the member here who moved his family to Panama and ended up coming back.  I think it is Canoeguy or something like that.

Greece has a very long history of having economic problems, at this point in their history its part of their DNA.  I dont think you have any worries about living there as an expat, they have plenty living there already.
For me personally, I wouldnt live in Athens, you can do much better getting away form there.
The other poster had a good suggestion with Croatia as well.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 5:56:13 PM EDT
[#23]
Get in touch with Josh on Ambergris Cay   he can hook you up.  Remax Agent @joshremaxdoradobz
Instagram @cheese_and_rice_its_josh
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 5:56:32 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
What in the hell are your kids gunna do in Costa Fucking Rica or Panama?  Smoke weed, fish, and swat mosquitoes?!

Fuck that........teach your kids to prosper in America.  Don't run away........libtards are predictable and very easy to compete against.  

View Quote

I'd love to see your list of predictable libtard actions along with what the average American can do to come out ahead of them.

Simple description of how "to prosper in America" would be nice to see as well.

Answers that don't presuppose FU money especially appreciated.

I'm not saying that the answer is to leave, or that there is even somewhere left to go.  But I've seen the rules changed many times and now it looks like the whole game board is about to be thrown across the room.  

I certainly don't fault people for looking for alternatives.

Link Posted: 1/20/2021 5:57:20 PM EDT
[#25]
Get in touch with Josh on Ambergris Cay   he can hook you up.  Remax Agent @joshremaxdoradobz
Instagram @cheese_and_rice_its_josh
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 5:59:39 PM EDT
[#26]
If you pick Panama look in the old town area!
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 6:01:36 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I'd love to see your list of predictable libtard actions along with what the average American can do to come out ahead of them.

Simple description of how "to prosper in America" would be nice to see as well.

Answers that don't presuppose FU money especially appreciated.

I'm not saying that the answer is to leave, or that there is even somewhere left to go.  But I've seen the rules changed many times and now it looks like the whole game board is about to be thrown across the room.  

I certainly don't fault people for looking for alternatives.
View Quote

I think by predicable he means they are lazy and they love to yap, but they don't love to sacrifice, save, or produce.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 6:02:06 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Bang teens huh?

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
What in the hell are your kids gunna do in Costa Fucking Rica or Panama?  Smoke weed, fish, and swat mosquitoes?!

Fuck that........teach your kids to prosper in America.  Don’t run away........libtards are predictable and very easy to compete against.  

FKN wanker.  Spear tuna/surf/bang tens/build shit with no regards to codes/eat healthy as fook/ etc etc etc.  What are you going to do in Alabama?  Drink sweat tea, smoke meth, swat mosquitoes and bass fish?

Bang teens huh?

In his defense he said tens not teens but Drsalee is in California, not Alabama, so he might have meant teens.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 6:03:25 PM EDT
[#29]
Sack it up...
Ronald Reagan speech_Oct. 27, 1964 (Part 1 of 2)

Link Posted: 1/20/2021 6:06:58 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Thailand is looking pretty good right now...

View Quote

I have two co-workers that live in Thailand and love it. They are raising families there and really appear to have a really good deal.

I think both of them have Thai wives and the one I have spoken with about things there has his kids in English schools and says they're getting a better edducation than they would in the States.

His money goes a LOT further and heating/cooling bills and housing is inexpensive.

He commutes but when you think about it, he works a 3 week on/off schedule. I understand he has a deal of sorts with another employee where they do a six week on/off deal. Flights run in the $1100-1300 range, round trip.

In his relationship they have traditional roles and his wife has no desire whatsoever to become 'Americanized' which is FINE by him.

Link Posted: 1/20/2021 6:11:33 PM EDT
[#31]
@layer60

I would be curious to see where those numbers you quoted were derived from. Not that I doubt them but I’m wondering if the cost of living and housing are based on typical income in those countries as well?

The reason I ask is that some numbers I have found is that the average middle class income in Panama is $1200/month and per my picture I posted earlier a typical 1500 sq ft 2 bedroom 2 bath house is $70K-$85k

That seems high if you are making $1200/month but not bad at all if you’re living on social security for example which mine would be about $2000 at 62  or $3000 at 67
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 6:11:55 PM EDT
[#32]
other than bad education, bad healthcare, a totally corrupt government, corrupt police force, cartels, drugs, crime, rape, murder, extortion, kidnapping, hating you for being an american, total lack of personal freedoms, lack of basic first world amenities like air condition or indoor plumbing and did i mention kidnapping, rape and crime? the low cost of living and the weather is very nice.

living in foreign countries is not like living in america.  if you think corruption is bad here try a couple years in south america or africa
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 6:24:42 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
other than bad education, bad healthcare, a totally corrupt government, corrupt police force, cartels, drugs, crime, rape, murder, extortion, kidnapping, hating you for being an american, total lack of personal freedoms, lack of basic first world amenities like air condition or indoor plumbing and did i mention kidnapping, rape and crime? the low cost of living and the weather is very nice.

living in foreign countries is not like living in america.  if you think corruption is bad here try a couple years in south america or africa
View Quote

So you’re saying it’s a lot like here then but more kidnappy and less indoor plumbing then?
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 6:32:59 PM EDT
[#34]
FML....wife owns land in Taiwan, also my father-in-law's house is there. Very modernized , great food, friendly to foreigners. But...I'm sure Xiden will greenlight the PRC into invading, so Taiwan isn't a very viable option now.

Otherwise it would be nice. As I'm married to a Taiwan citizen, getting a permanent residence card is just a little paperwork and some small hoops to jump through.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 6:33:46 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View Quote

It's like you picked out the absolute worst parts of various different countries in the world, lumped all these traits together, and then tried to assign that basket of negative traits to each and every other country in the world besides the US.

Additionally, the US is no slouch in MANY of those areas.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 6:43:22 PM EDT
[#36]
my wife is from Columbia and most of  her family is still there.  I have been thinking in the back of my mind about that.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 6:44:55 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
And there is plenty of room to spread out.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The moon seems nice
And there is plenty of room to spread out.
But she is a harsh mistress.  Although my wife sucks the life out of me as effectively as the lunar vacuum.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 6:54:10 PM EDT
[#38]
I know the deranged Leftists under Trump talked about fleeing the country, when in fact, there was no threat to them and things will probably just keep moving toward their "dream."

But I think your concerns, and everyone who's in the middle or right, has valid concerns about the direction our country is going.  Like, genuinely valid, like we either have civil war and freedom, or we end up in gulags, or perhaps just a really shitty 1984 style America at best.  

Point being, this is relevant to my interest.  Ive heard good things about Belize.  Never thought about Costa Rica or Panama. It's strange to think of living somewhere entirely new like that and leaving this behind.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 6:57:35 PM EDT
[#39]
Estonia is right on the sea, so while I'm sure gets chilly in the winter it doesn't get North Dakota cold.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 6:59:30 PM EDT
[#40]
Why move to a third world country that will likely have more issues than here in the USA?
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 7:01:46 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
I know the deranged Leftists under Trump talked about fleeing the country, when in fact, there was no threat to them and things will probably just keep moving toward their "dream."

But I think your concerns, and everyone who's in the middle or right, has valid concerns about the direction our country is going.  Like, genuinely valid, like we either have civil war and freedom, or we end up in gulags, or perhaps just a really shitty 1984 style America at best.  

Point being, this is relevant to my interest.  Ive heard good things about Belize.  Never thought about Costa Rica or Panama. It's strange to think of living somewhere entirely new like that and leaving this behind.
View Quote

If nothing else, establish a good, solid Plan B.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 7:21:49 PM EDT
[#42]
@Banshee35

Personal opinion, I would not retire anywhere except North America or Europe.  I'd hate to be an old retired guy in a third world country especially if I couldn't pass for a local.  Lots of nice places in Europe, Portugal, Spain, Montenegro.  Somebody mentioned Croatia.  

Big difference traveling to a place in your twenties or thirties, at your peak, vs being 65 and retired.  Why risk it?  if you were an enterprising local, who is the first guy you'd think to rob?  Another poor local, or a "rich" old gringo who is not from your country anyway?  Keeping you down, buying up the nicest places so you can't have them?  Living large while you suffer?  

Obviously, do what you feel is the best for you and your family.  Good luck in any case.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 7:24:10 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Estonia is right on the sea, so while I'm sure gets chilly in the winter it doesn't get North Dakota cold.
View Quote

Sometimes that sea freezes over. The Germans evacuated lots of civilians and troops over the frozen Baltic in 1945.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 11:46:09 PM EDT
[#44]
I mentioned in another thread that I’m considering CR.  I didn’t find the prices and compared to the US but you need to ask how will it make your situation better?  You’re still an American citizen so what are you escaping?  Nothing.  You’ll still be paying uncle Joe’s federal income tax unless you renounce your citizenship and you’ll still for a year or so afterward.   Then how do you comeback to the US to visit or get medical care in a bad situation?  

There’s no point moving anywhere if you maintain citizenship.  

I’m scouting places in FL to open an office so I can cut ties with NYC altogether.  Currently whether I work from home (FL) or the office (NYC) I have to pay NY taxes because we don’t have an entity in FL.  So it at least solves a huge pending tax increase.  

If I thought leaving the country would shield from the US political environment I’d retire and be gone but it really doesn’t.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 12:13:15 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
I mentioned in another thread that I’m considering CR.  I didn’t find the prices and compared to the US but you need to ask how will it make your situation better?  You’re still an American citizen so what are you escaping?  Nothing.  You’ll still be paying uncle Joe’s federal income tax unless you renounce your citizenship and you’ll still for a year or so afterward.   Then how do you comeback to the US to visit or get medical care in a bad situation?  

There’s no point moving anywhere if you maintain citizenship.  

I’m scouting places in FL to open an office so I can cut ties with NYC altogether.  Currently whether I work from home (FL) or the office (NYC) I have to pay NY taxes because we don’t have an entity in FL.  So it at least solves a huge pending tax increase.  

If I thought leaving the country would shield from the US political environment I’d retire and be gone but it really doesn’t.
View Quote

If you move to another country you give up your US citizenship. That's one of the reasons to move--you don't want to be on the tax hook for what are going to be forever increasing tax rates.

Also, look at Puerto Rico. That gets you out of federal taxes.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 12:19:59 AM EDT
[#46]
Switzerland or similar.

Link Posted: 1/21/2021 12:21:32 AM EDT
[#47]
We are currently house shopping in Baja Mexico. Still working out the firearms situation. I’m going to hire a lawyer there to help. Firearm ownership is legal, it’s just a challenge getting through the red tape.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 12:23:26 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
With the USA now defunct as the Guarantor of Liberty to the world...there's nowhere left to run.
View Quote

Thats true but there will be places that my remaining savings will get me further.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 12:28:54 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
I am your age and looking at the same type of thing. I have a 7 year old stepdaughter and a 17 year old son here at home.

My ever-evolving plan for early "retirement" (and I mean that to be when both kids are out of the house, whether or not I'm working...

Panama is the front runner.

Easy and cheap to get permanent residence and/or citizenship if you want, permanent residence in no time at all, 5 years citizenship.

USD.

Quick return to the US, a couple hour flight if you want.

Good neighborhoods if you live in the right areas.

Up and coming, turning into quite the tech hub.

No hurricanes.

Thinking to get permanent residency, leave a nice truck and a 5th wheel travel trailer here in the states. Live in Panama as much as we want. Come back to the US if and when we want, see the rest of the country in the travel trailer or hell just camp out in my son's driveway at that point, visiting family. Fly back whenever we want.

Panama is also a territorial tax state. I have to look into it more but I believe that if you make it your no-shit PERMANENT residence and can pass some IRS tests, not only would you not pay taxes to Panama on your US earnings (which you never would anyways), but the first $108k of your income is NOT TAXED BY THE IRS.
View Quote

Pension income and investment income are not covered by the foreign earned income exclusion. It must be wages or business/self-employment income. He would need to renounce his citizenship in order to avoid the US tax obligations on pension or investment income.

Hire a tax professional. I’m a tax professional.

Link Posted: 1/21/2021 12:32:46 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Switzerland or similar.

View Quote

Better be loaded with money.
Page / 11
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top